1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    678 Posts
    Hey,

I have never encountered these problems before. Firstly, the power button works but if i hold the button down the computer doesn't switch off. Secondly, all the connections are connected to the right sockets the graphics card is plugged in with all power connections in. Now when i turn the pc on there is no display upon the screen. I have tried different cables, but the monitor only supports vga and dvi. But the monitor works with a laptop plugged in so i cant see why it would be a monitor issue. I have reset the CMOs and that hasn't helped. At the moment i haven't got the right cable to test the onboard graphics to see if its a graphics card issue.

The specs are as follows

Powercolor ati radeon 6870hd
    mobo - msi 870S-c45
    8gb cosair ram
    amd phenom 2 black edition 3.2ghz
    Antex 650w aty12v

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,523 Posts
    Don't install the video card until you've set up the rest of your computer, sometimes if you boot with the new card it won't display anything. This happened with my first build, too.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    678 Posts
    Yeah that's what i was thinking its just a shame i haven't got the cable for the onboard. I'll have to get that and install the drivers once i get windows onto it.

4. Post #4
    October 2010
    711 Posts
    Don't install the video card until you've set up the rest of your computer, sometimes if you boot with the new card it won't display anything. This happened with my first build, too.
    What? It'll work fine with a new card, of course it's going to display something it just won't have any drivers installed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    678 Posts
    What about if there is no display upon the screen? is it a faulty gfx card?

6. Post #6
    PLUNGER BUTT
    November 2010
    2,666 Posts
    What about if there is no display upon the screen? is it a faulty gfx card?
    It might be faulty, but you should get those cables for the onboard and try that before we make any assumptions. Do you hear any beeps upon turning it on?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,594 Posts
    For your first problem, is your power button hooked up correctly to the header pins? And does it work when jumping the header?

8. Post #8
    Mombasa's Hubby :3
    October 2008
    3,886 Posts
    This is inane and hilarious. How'd you screw up your first build that bad?

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    255 Posts
    I have had the same issue and it was a faulty graphics card or the cpu, I tried 3 different cpu's and 3 different graphic cards, and ended up just buying an entirely new pc.

10. Post #10
    September 2008
    872 Posts
    I have had the same issue and it was a faulty graphics card or the cpu, I tried 3 different cpu's and 3 different graphic cards, and ended up just buying an entirely new pc.
    Maybe it was not the GPU or CPU and was the mobo or PSU.

11. Post #11
    January 2011
    699 Posts
    This might seem simple, but make sure you've plugged in the power for the GPU in the correct place and that you have enough power to power it.

I spent two days trying to work out the same problem, to find I had plugged the GPU into the wrong place. I felt like an right idiot after all my ranting.