1. Post #241
    December 2009
    5,067 Posts
    Lets see you make something that will give players as much suspense as this game did?
    http://youtu.be/JLNwsg75rOs?hd=1&t=7m21s
    uh, im sorry but this does not make sense. Even if i say team fortress 2 is a bad game, does not mean i could make a better game. You do not need to be able to make a good game to critizise another game as bad.

I dont know about you, but I was just giving my honest opinion. It felt like an early alpha version of the game. Felt like it had a lot of stuff missing.
    No, I do not change my opinion even if its made by one person. I am critizising the game itself, not the development. Sure, the guy did pretty good job, seeing as this is made by one person. I dont know how easy/hard it is to make a game with Unity.

Edited:

Then don't play it?
    How could we know the ending was a letdown before playing it?

Edited:

tl;dr: Disagreeing with the general opinion of Facepunch
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #242
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    No, they're telling you that you're being an ignorant prick. You can criticize the game, sure, but at least give a valid argument for how it's bad instead of being "HURR DURR IT SUCKS ... BECAUSE"
    Because its STUPIDLY long, yes I understand that's the SCP's point and shit, but that doesn't translate well into a game, it should have 2 options, change the floor range it ends at (you select floor # to floor # as the floors it will end as to keep the randomness at least) or have true randomness. Having the ability to go to floor 250 where all the while you're getting scared by the same stupid looking shadows (which are only scary 3~ times) is stupid. The end is literally nothing more than seeing the face and then dying if you get too close. Yes I know he may add more later, but that is what I believe should be fixed, a better ending, more of a threat on your life than just "OH NO SHADOWS THAT DO NOTHING" and just overall ironing out the repetitiveness that is within this mod thing.

Edited:

Then don't play it?
    Genius, and how do you suggest he knows its bad if idiots don't seem to allow people to post criticism?

3. Post #243
    September 2009
    183 Posts
    Actual argument
    There, was that so hard now? Anyways, I kind of agree that the ending is lacking, especially seeing as it's so quick and always the same. It gets boring fast if the only thing that happens is some dude standing at the end of a set of stairs grabbing you. There should be more events and different placement / actual movement of the face guy.

4. Post #244
    October 2009
    1,861 Posts
    Because its STUPIDLY long, yes I understand that's the SCP's point and shit, but that doesn't translate well into a game, it should have 2 options, change the floor range it ends at (you select floor # to floor # as the floors it will end as to keep the randomness at least) or have true randomness. Having the ability to go to floor 250 where all the while you're getting scared by the same stupid looking shadows (which are only scary 3~ times) is stupid. The end is literally nothing more than seeing the face and then dying if you get too close. Yes I know he may add more later, but that is what I believe should be fixed, a better ending, more of a threat on your life than just "OH NO SHADOWS THAT DO NOTHING" and just overall ironing out the repetitiveness that is within this mod thing.

Edited:

Genius, and how do you suggest he knows its bad if idiots don't seem to allow people to post criticism?
    You, sir, are entirely missing the point of both the game and the arguments against you.

The game is a simple simulation meant to bring that SCP to life, to let you experience the tests described on its page. It doesn't need anything more than it has, and I doubt the creator intends to expand upon it; I expect and hope that he moves on to short games about other SCPs.

Your arguments make no sense, largely for the reason stated above. Of course you are allowed to criticize the game, but you have to treat it like what it is; a quick one-man project to help illustrate a wiki page. If I started playing, say, Gears of War, and complained about the distinct lack of open-world gameplay and deep, emotional characters, I would be speaking as you are: undeniably correct in that these are features that the game is missing, and perhaps even features that would make it "better," but completely ignoring the fact that nobody expects them from this specific game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #245
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    You, sir, are entirely missing the point of both the game and the arguments against you.

The game is a simple simulation meant to bring that SCP to life, to let you experience the tests described on its page. It doesn't need anything more than it has, and I doubt the creator intends to expand upon it; I expect and hope that he moves on to short games about other SCPs.

Your arguments make no sense, largely for the reason stated above. Of course you are allowed to criticize the game, but you have to treat it like what it is; a quick one-man project to help illustrate a wiki page. If I started playing, say, Gears of War, and complained about the distinct lack of open-world gameplay and deep, emotional characters, I would be speaking as you are: undeniably correct in that these are features that the game is missing, and perhaps even features that would make it "better," but completely ignoring the fact that nobody expects them from this specific game.
    But its not HARD to just add a limiting of the floor number, honestly my friend got to floor 100 before we just got bored of waiting and scared the shit out of him by hiding behind him in the dark and snorting like pigs or breathing on him (see that was fun as shit, could post a recording of it, no gameplay though because its irrelevant)) or something, and at that point he was so pissed he just quit

Edited:

I just think that this game was wasted potential, as in, it coulda been genius.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

6. Post #246
    October 2009
    1,861 Posts
    Now you're being much more fair and reasonable, and yes, I see your point; perhaps a limiter on the number of floors generated would have been a good idea. But I'm not quite so sure... Maybe it translates well into a game and maybe it doesn't, but the whole point of this SCP is a long, long stretch of walking through the dark followed by being scared shitless. It's meant to be played just once, and in a way the longer it is the better it will be when something suddenly happens.

My opinion aside, it definitely isn't an open-and-shut "this is how the game should be, and it sucks until it is this way" like you were saying before.

7. Post #247
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    4,620 Posts
    I want to put a slinky on that staircase.

8. Post #248
    PERKELE
    May 2009
    6,029 Posts
    Slinkies don't really work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #249
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    Now you're being much more fair and reasonable, and yes, I see your point; perhaps a limiter on the number of floors generated would have been a good idea. But I'm not quite so sure... Maybe it translates well into a game and maybe it doesn't, but the whole point of this SCP is a long, long stretch of walking through the dark followed by being scared shitless. It's meant to be played just once, and in a way the longer it is the better it will be when something suddenly happens.

My opinion aside, it definitely isn't an open-and-shut "this is how the game should be, and it sucks until it is this way" like you were saying before.
    Yeah I understand, I do hope that with criticisms the developer can only get better and better and perhaps even create more emulations of SCP's, that'd be the shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #250
    Slinkies don't really work.
    An SCP Slinky that homes in on stairs?

11. Post #251
    loves SHART and apologizes for being a dick
    June 2005
    12,480 Posts
    it goes up stairs

12. Post #252
    Wow, made it farther than my first play through that time! Despite knowing exactly what to expect, I still get terrified on this. Got to floor 30 before bumping into a shadow, sent massive terrified shivers down my spine and I quit. Its quite interesting really how something as simple as a set of dark creepy stairs paired with some creepy sounds and an overactive imagination can make this a terrifying experience!

13. Post #253
    July 2011
    355 Posts
    >78 flights
    >face
    >nope
    >turn around
    >try to walk up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 12 (list)

14. Post #254
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    7,955 Posts
    it goes up stairs
    Like, teleports? Or just, walks?

15. Post #255
    December 2009
    3,061 Posts
    Is it possible for someone to shoot me some creepy SCPs like these, and not those "amazing" ones like the soda machine?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #256
    Valor
    September 2008
    19,439 Posts
    It's more like "We're not sure how to kill them"

17. Post #257
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,017 Posts
    It's more like "We're not sure how to kill them"
    Also it's sort of the point that they don't shoot them

Otherwise what's the point of the first two words in SCP? There ain't much point in putting a slinky which used to be able to climb stairs in a vault, is there? That'd be like keeping an empty juice carton in a lunchbox in case you get thirsty.

18. Post #258

May 2011
    909 Posts
    Is it possible for someone to shoot me some creepy SCPs like these, and not those "amazing" ones like the soda machine?
    Well obviously your mileage is going to vary, but some good ones are 106 (rotting man), 231 (pregnant girl), 835 (coral), Clef's proposal for 001 (gate of eden), 093 (alternate world), 597 (teats) and 363 (darkness centipedes). 835 and 093 are especially fleshed out.

19. Post #259
    September 2010
    906 Posts
    I just shat my pants but then I felt quite stupid when i figured out that it wasnt the face i saw rather than a stain on my screen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

20. Post #260
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    3,256 Posts
    Going to do a stream of me playing this in a couple of hours. I know I'm going to regret this.

Edited:

Right, about to start streaming now, http://www.livestream.com/dildoschannel

21. Post #261
    September 2010
    906 Posts
    I just played through it and I can tell you, this is the only instance in a game where I have shat bricks to this extent.

22. Post #262
    PM ME FOR /TWO\ RUST KEYS!!
    April 2011
    5,771 Posts
    I shat out an entire house.    Haven't even played it yet   

Edited:

Going to do a stream of me playing this in a couple of hours. I know I'm going to regret this.

Edited:

Right, about to start streaming now, http://www.livestream.com/dildoschannel
    Stream starting oh god someone please join me im scared

Edited:

I cant watch oh god it's terrifying

23. Post #263
    May 2010
    930 Posts
    Here is another reaction video, it's russian but i think, you got the thing.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 23 (list)

24. Post #264
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    3,256 Posts
    NEVER AGAIN
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

25. Post #265
    August 2010
    4,499 Posts
    I got in in time for it to end, time for me to get something working to stream.

26. Post #266
    April 2011
    5,771 Posts
    NEVER AGAIN
    IT HAD ARMS AND LEGS OH GOD
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

27. Post #267
    August 2010
    4,499 Posts
    IT HAD ARMS AND LEGS OH GOD
    IT HAD CLAWS.

CLAWSSSS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

28. Post #268
    September 2010
    2,999 Posts
    I would like a mod based on the melted people.

29. Post #269
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,526 Posts
    would be nice if you got those sticky backpack LED thingies, like in the text SCP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

30. Post #270
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    Has anyone got the ambient track playing in the background?

31. Post #271
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,921 Posts
    started on floor 0

quit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #272
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,017 Posts
    I would like a mod based on the melted people.
    It'd be sort of like Dead Space, if regular 9mm's could cut off limbs.

Someone should do an SCP Source mod based around some of the SCPs. They could have it like that Underhell mod, where you've got a containment area to explore with its own story to it, and when you want to advance the plot you hop in your jeep and go. And sometimes SCPs show up in the containment area itself, or they escape.

It sounds fairly simple in concept. Underhell took like a year to do ( think, I may have overshot it), so it shouldn't take that much longer really.

33. Post #273

August 2011
    275 Posts
    Oh shit....

Try going back up again when you see SCP-087-01.
    Flee from it.

34. Post #274
    August 2010
    4,499 Posts
    If I stream will anyone watch it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #275
    August 2011
    501 Posts
    Sure

36. Post #276
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,445 Posts
    Do it. I've missed every other stream, so I'd like to watch at least one.

37. Post #277
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,115 Posts
    This'll keep me sane while foundonthetape does nothing.

38. Post #278
    August 2010
    4,499 Posts

39. Post #279
    April 2011
    5,771 Posts
    OH GOD IT'S NIGHT OH GOD IM GOING TO WATCH WITHOUT CLOTHES SO I CANT PEE MY PANTS

Edited:

OH GOD IT STARTED ALREADY

Edited:

HE'S PLAYING WITH THE BENNY HILL THEME OH GOD HOW TERRIFYING

Edited:

Oh shit....

Try going back up again when you see SCP-087-01.
    Flee from it.
    What happens if you do?

40. Post #280
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    674 Posts
    I am SO gonna make my girlfriend play this game