1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,682 Posts

THANKS TO TH89 for the LOGO!

So, what’s a Visual Novel you ask? Well, if you want a simple answer, it’s pretty much a novel, with visuals.
    For a more complicated answer not pulled from Wikipedia and from my own experience, it’s an amazing media that not only gives you a deep story that you can read at your own pace, but it also gives you music that will play on the emotions of even the strongest of men, and also gives you visual feedback so that you feel even more immersed in the story. I find visual novels to be quite unique for that very reason. There is no true gameplay in a visual novel. The most interactivity you will get are choices – may they be simple or game changing decisions. The trick, however, is that these choices are there so that you can do what you would do in the story, like a “Choose your own adventure” book.
    If that doesn’t help, then you can always check the Wikipedia page about Visual Novels

So, let’s go over some basic tips of Visual Novels (from my own experience)
    1) SAVE OFTEN. Like at every choices or so.
    2) DON’T BE A DICK. (You will die or live alone 90% of the time)
    3) PLAY YOUR FIRST PLAYTHROUGH LIKE WHAT YOU WOULD DO. Always a fun experience.
    4) When in doubt, SAVE.
    5) ALWAYS READ the TEXT. It most often ends up telling you the good answer in a difficult choice you may have to face later. Besides, you're here to read, right?
    6) Learn how to SKIP previously READ TEXT. (It will help you go through a VN without killing yourself) (Usually the Tab or Shift key)
    7) If you really get TOO BORED or ANNOYED, you can always TAKE A BREAK for a while.
    8) Try to TAKE A BREAK once in a while. Your eyes need it
    9) The MAIN CHARACTER is completely stupid or retarded 90% of the time.

Now that we’ve gone over a few tips, time to go over a few Visual Novels
    THESE VISUAL NOVELS ARE RECOMMENDED EITHER BY ME, THE FACEPUNCH COMMUNITY OR IN GENERAL. THEY ARE NOT IN ANY KIND OF ORDER OF PREFERENCE.
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][h2]Katawa Shoujo[/h2] (かたわ少女 Katawa Shōjo, lit. "Disability Girls")

Developed by: Four Leaf Studios

Released: January 4[SUP]th[/SUP], 2012

Length: 10 - 30 hours

Erotic content: Yes

Genre: Slice of life, drama, comedy.

Synopsis: Katawa Shoujo is the story of a young arrhythmic man named Hisao. After a life-threatening heart attack, his family sent him to Yamaku’s school which specialized itself in dealing with physical disabilities of all kinds. It’s in Yamaku that Hisao will find himself surrounded by a weird cast of characters that all have a unique story of their own, and it’s up to the player to decide who he will spend time with, at the same time helping Hisao cope with his condition.

Opinion: It's a very good Visual Novel to pick up and play, even more because it's free and actually requires no patch to play in English. Also, did you know I made a flowchart for it? Anyway, this one doesn't really need an opinion, it's pretty great and you can play it yourself free of charge! If you want to see what happens when a couple of facepunchers play this VN, go check the Katawa Shoujo thread.

ALERT: DON'T GIVE HANAKO THE CHOCOLATE

Erotic content: Yes

Where can I get Katawa Shoujo? Simple, right here![/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD] [h2]Fate/stay night[/h2] [i](フェイト/ステイナイト Feito/sutei naito

Developped by: Type-moon

Released: January 30[SUP]th[/SUP], 2004

Length: Very long (<50 hours)

Genre: Action, romance, comedy, drama

Synopsis: Fate/stay night is a visual novel depicting the life of Emiya Shirou, a student in Fuyuki city (The prologue starts with Tohsaka Rin, though). His life is pretty normal, with the twist that he is able to do some magic, but not that much. His life comes to a complete turnover however when he finds himself placed as one of the Master in a war for the Holy Grail, omnipotent wish granting tool. With his servant (A character that basically fights for him), he will have to fight through terribly powerful enemies to ensure his survival, and to finally win the Holy Grail. Also, save often. You can die at almost every single choice in this VN.

Opinion: One of my favorite, also seem to be a community favorite. Spawned an anime, a movie, then spawned Fate/zero, a direct anime prequel to fate/stay night. There is a sequel to Fate/stay night called Fate/hollow ataraxia but it is not translated completely.

ALERT: Reference of CHILD RAPE (You don't see it)

Ero content: Yes, have some pretty hilarious excuses as to why though.

English patch: Fate/Stay Night[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][h2]Kanon[/h2] (カノン)

Developped by: Key

Released: June 4[SUP]th[/SUP], 1999

Length: 10-30 hours

Genre: Slice of Life, Heavy Drama, Comedy

Synopsis: Kanon is the story of a young man named Yuuichi. He is forced to go back to the small town that he last visited 7 years ago to live with his aunt and cousin. For some reasons, he doesn’t seem to remember much from when he lived there. Shortly after he arrives, however, he finds a few girls that may be more familiar to him than he believe them to be.

Opinion: Good VN, easier to go through fully than Clannad, but this game hurts your feelings. It really hurts them.

ALERT: BIG EYES (Beyond big) also, IT WILL HURT YOUR FEELINGS. Heavy use of the catchphrase "Uguu ~" PRESENCE OF GRAPHIC VIOLENCE.

Erotic content: Yes[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][h2]Clannad[/h2] (クラナド Kuranado)

Developped by: Key

Released: August 8, 2004

Length: EXTREMELY LONG (>50 hours)

Genre: Slice of Life, Heavy Drama, Comedy, Family.

Synopsis: Clannad is the story of a delinquent student named Tomoya. His life seems to have no meaning and no true direction at the start of the VN. He has grown to hate the town he lives in, and even more hate his own life. However, one day, he meets Nagisa Furukawa, and his life starts taking a few unexpected twists (With the help of the player of course).

Opinion: Be aware that the game has an extensive amounts of path (or arcs), so you should probably use a flowchart if you aim for a 100% completion. (I don't recommend it. 100% completion takes around 150 hours) One of my favorite. It's a very dramatic and comedic experience, shifting your emotions from happiness to sadness everytime it can. There's no much action, basing itself extremely and almost solely on characters.

ALERT: WILL HURT YOUR FEELINGS.

Erotic content: None[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][h2]Tsukihime[/h2] (月姫 lit. Lunar Princess)

Developed by: Type-moon

Released: December 2000

Length: Long (30-50 hours)

Genre: Action, Violence, Romance, Drama

Synopsis:Tsukihime starts with the story of Shiki Tohno who after a terrible accident found his view altered with thousands of lines. After the accident, his father pushed him away of his house, forcing him to live with his aunt for a few years. When his father finally died, he is invited to live in his mansion with his sister again. At the same time, there seems to be an increase in serial murders as young woman keeps dying with all of their blood gone...

Opinion: Tsukihime’s system is rather weird. There are 2 main arcs, called “Near side of the Moon” and “Far side of the moon”. Near side of the moon depicts the very action heavy and dangerous arcs, while far side of the moon is calmer, with more secondary character involvement. Some arcs can’t be done before doing others (That happens often when a VN wishes to establish a Canonical route). I recommend Tsukihime solely for the “Near side of the moon” arcs, as the other arcs are rather boring except for a few twist revelations.

ALERT: There is PRESENCE OF RAPE (It's up to you if there is though) and if you dare go to the "Far side of the moon", even CHILD RAPE reference (You don't actually see it) lot of graphic violence as well.

Ero content: Yes

English Patch: Tsukihime[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][h2]Umineko no Naku Koro ni[/h2] (うみねこのなく頃に?, lit. When the Seagulls Cry)

Developped by: 07th Expansion

Released: (A lot of releases)

Length: Very long (<50 hours)

Genre: Battle of wits, Family.

Synopsis: Umineko no Naku Koro ni takes place in the year 1986 during the time frame of October 4 and October 5 on a secluded island named Rokkenjima (六軒島). The head of a wealthy family named Kinzō Ushiromiya, who lives on and owns Rokkenjima, is near death, and eleven of his family members arrive on the island to discuss how Kinzō's assets will be divided once he is dead. Also on the island are five of Kinzō's servants, and his personal physician. After the eleven family members arrive, a typhoon traps them on the island and shortly after people start to get mysteriously murdered.

Opinion: I haven't played this one, but Orkel told me if I didn't put it in the OP I would be cursed for eternity, so I decided to put it there anyway.

Ero content: None

Here's a demo![/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] [h2]Utawarerumono [/h2](うたわれるもの?, lit. The One Being Sung)

Developped by: Leaf

Released: April 26th, 2002

Length: Medium (10-30 hours)

Genre: SRPG, linear plot, single ending.

Synopsis: Waking up injured, a man finds himself in a small village after being rescued by an apprentice physician. Having no memory of who he is and a mask he cannot take off, he decides to live with the other villagers peacefully. But peace is fragile, as a single event in their village plunges himself and his fellow villagers into a path of war.

Opinion: I wouldn't know, I haven't played it yet, but it's been requested in the megathread several times.

[TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][h2] The PHOENIX WRIGHT SERIES [/h2](YES, IT'S A VN)

Developped by: Capcom

Released: Several games on the DS

First few features Phoenix Wright, then they feature Apollo Justice

Length: Each are medium length, around 30 hours.

Genre: Battle of wits, Mystery, Crime, Interactive Adventure

Synopsis:You play Phoenix Wright, an attorney, as he defends the defendant and finds the real culprit behind a crime. Accompanied by Maya Fey, you will have to interrogate key witnesses to the crimes, find decisive evidence, and when the trial comes, find mistakes in the witness statement. You only have three days to solve every cases you are entrusted with.

Opinion: The Phoenix Wright series is amazingly fun, and if you haven't played one yet, I recommend you to try it. It's very unique and feels much more like a game than a VN.

Erotic content
    : None[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][h2]G-Senjou no Maou[/h2] (The devil on G String)

Developed by: Akabe Soft 2

Released: Late 2007

Length: Medium to long. 10-50 hours.

Genre: Battle of wits, Romance, Terrorism, Crime, Action

Synopsis: You play the role of Azai Kyousuke, the son of a legendary gangster infamous in the underworld. You spend your time listening to Bach, playing God at school and covertly working for your stepfather, a ruthless financial heavyweight. This idyllic existence is broken when two individuals appear in the city - a beautiful girl named Usami Haru with hair you could get lost in for days, and a powerful international gangster known only as "Maou". Almost without delay, the two begin a deadly cat-and-mouse game, bringing you and your friends into the crossfire. Plotting, political intrigue and layer upon layer of interlocking traps are the weapons in this epic battle of wits.

Opinion: Definitely one of the better VNs I've ever read. The way the characters are handled, how the story flows, how events unfold in a tense and adrenaline filled manner definitely make this one of the most enjoyable Visual Novels out there.

Review by : EcksDee

Erotic content: Somewhat noticeable, very late in the game.[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] [h2]Higurashi no Naku Koro ni[/h2] (ひぐらしのなく頃に, lit. When the Cicadas Cry)

Developped by: 07th Expansion

Released: Several releases

Genre: Murder Mystery, Thriller, Kinetic Novel (no choices)

Synopsis:Higurashi no Naku Koro ni takes place during June 1983, at a fictional rural village called Hinamizawa, which has a population of approximately 2000. The main character, Keiichi Maebara, moves to Hinamizawa and befriends his new classmates Rena Ryugu, Mion Sonozaki, Rika Furude, and Satoko Hojo. Keiichi joins their after-school club activities, which consist mostly of card and board games (and punishment games for the loser, usually him.) Hinamizawa appears to be a normal, peaceful, rural village to Keiichi. However, the tranquility abruptly ends after the annual Watanagashi Festival, a celebration to commemorate and give thanks to the local god, Oyashiro-sama. Keiichi learns that every year for the past four years, one person has been murdered and another has gone missing on the day of the Watanagashi Festival. Keiichi himself soon becomes drawn into the strange events surrounding the Watanagashi Festival and Oyashiro-sama. In each story arc, he or one of his friends become paranoid, and a crime is committed. Usually, the crime involves the murder of one of their own friends. While it seems impossible to tell their delusions apart from the mystery of Hinamizawa, slowly the truth is revealed.

Opinion: Higurashi's in the same universe as Umineko also it's an incredibly popular one. It's got a manga and anime adaption, too. It's basically like Umineko (mystery with slight horror undertone) but the setting is a small rural town in the 80s, and instead of focusing on how people are getting killed, it focuses moreso on why and who. (Thanks to CheeseMan)

Alert: Somewhat creepy.[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD] [h2]Saya no Uta [/h2](沙耶の唄[SUP]?[/SUP], lit. Song of Saya)

Developed by: Nitroplus

Released: 26[SUP]th[/SUP] December, 2003

Length: Short (2-10 hours)

Genre: Psychological Horror

Synopsis: After an extremely violent car accident, Fuminori Sakisaka loses his parents, but that’s the least of his problems. After an extremely experimental brain surgery that saved his life, he finds his perception of the world completely altered, his vision of the world now filled with blood and guts, it doesn’t take long before his other senses take the same wrong turn. Unable to live normally anymore, he secludes himself at his home with Saya, the only creature in this world that still looks appealing to him.

Opinion: I put Saya no Uta in the OP because it's a decent psychological horror visual novel, and probably a very easy one to pick up and read, due to the fact it's very short. It's also pretty unique in a way, and almost a challenge if you're into creepy horror shit.

ALERT: THERE IS PRESENCE OF RAPE, VIOLENCE, AND VERY NASTY SHIT. ALSO CONTAINS HEAVY AMOUNT OF NIGHTMARE FUEL. NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART. CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED.

Ero content: Yes[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][h2]Steins;Gate[/h2]

Developed by: 5pb, Nitroplus

Released: October 15[SUP]th[/SUP], 2009

Genre: Science fiction, thriller, drama, comedy

Synopsis: Steins;Gate takes place in Akihabara and is about a group of friends who have customized their microwave into a device that can send text messages to the past. As they perform different experiments, an organization named SERN who has been doing their own research on time travel tracks them down and now the characters have to find a way to avoid being captured by them.

Made by the same guys who made Chaos;Head. Has voice acting.

Opinion: Haven't played it yet, but I've watched some clips of it and watched the anime adaptation. From what I've seen the VN is definitely as good as, or maybe even better than the anime. The story is stellar, and the characters are likeable. Music is amazing. Gets real feelcoaster mid way into the game.

Erotic content: None

Opening:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDx-Ho3UIrM

Fan Translation:
    http://e17time.blogspot.com/p/steins...nslations.html
    Tips and achievements not translated, may be a bit buggy
    THANKS TO JUND[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][h2]9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors[/h2]

Developed by: Chunsoft

Released: November 16, 2010 for the DS, no PC release

Length: 10 - 20 hours

Genre: Puzzle, mystery, thriller

Synopsis: Nine people have been kidnapped by a mysterious man called Zero and forced to participate in a survival game known as the "Nonary Game". Each one has a bracelet numbered 1–9, which they must use to pass through doors numbered 1–9, to reach the exit before 9 hours run out and the ship in which they are sinks. Various puzzles must be solved in order to advance through the ship and reach the exit, while uncovering the mysteries behind the Nonary Game.

Opinion: A fantastic game/VN; immersive story, brilliant puzzles, great characters and a lot of mystery. There are 6 different endings, 3 bad, 2 neutral and one good. The bad endings are a little creepy, I'm sure you'll get a nice spine tingling sensation if you get them. To achieve the good ending you must get one of the neutral endings, so the game cannot be completed properly without playing through at least twice. However there are a lot of different choices, and each choice can put you down a different route, meaning different puzzles and a different story. 999 is one of my favourite DS games and I highly recommend it.

Alert: There is minor violence and gore as you can witness people dying.

Erotic content: None.

THANKS TO CAM00!

[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][h2]My girlfriend is the president[/h2]

Developed by: Alcot

Released:

Length: 10 - 30 hours

Genre: Dating sim, Parody/Comedy

Synopsis:An accident on a spaceship heading to earth, causes it to crash on the Prime Minister of Nippon’s office. The leaders end up in a state too horrible to see. To avoid chaos, the alien chose a girl who happened to be there, and to make ends meet, brainwashed all of mankind.

Opinion:

Alert:

[TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][h2]Hotel Dusk: Room 215[/h2]

Developed by:Cing

Released: January 22nd, 2007 for the DS

Length: 10-30 hours

Genre: Adventure

Synopsis:The game takes place in the fictional Hotel Dusk, a small, somewhat rundown hotel located in the southwestern United States near Los Angeles, California during the year 1979. The game's protagonist is Kyle Hyde, a former member of the New York Police Department searching for his old partner, Brian Bradley. During his stay at the hotel, Kyle unravels a mystery shrouded in the hotel's past that may lead him to the answers he's looking for.

Opinion: I haven't played it yet, so I'll pass judgement for now to someone who did.

Alert: None that I'm aware of

Erotic content: None.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][h2]Kamidori Alchemy Meister[/h2] (神採りアルケミーマイスター)

Developed by: Eushully

Released: Released April 22, 2011

Length: Long (>50 hours)

Genre: Strategy, Adventure, Action, Crafting, Shop Sim, Monster girls

Synopsis:Wilfred, an apprentice Alchemist living in the great city of Yuidora, has to undergo a trial to become a true Alchemist. On his way to become an Alchemy master, he will find many friends, and many foes. He will have to make sure his shop is the best in town, craft gear to upgrade his gear and his party member's gear and find resources on various maps of different part of the world, ranging from Mountains, Forests, plains and even in caves. Combat is based on weaknesses and elemental weapons plus stats, and the 3 possible arcs changes the end game entirely.

Opinion: A fantastic game incorporated into a visual novel. The game is very addicting, weither it's to craft the next best weapon for your favorite team members or to explore new places on the map. Every new chapter you'll get a good amount of dialogue from each character (Which amounts in the 32, by the way) and with own their own little quests and things to do in life. The combat system is rather fun and evolved, and every new arcs brings its new characters and interesting people.

Alert: "If it's in your party, you can mate with it" -Feuver.

Erotic content: Fairly High. Monster girls present.[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

THANKS TO CHEESEMAN FOR THE AMAZING LAYOUT!

To note that these Visual Novels are in general recommended by the Community, and a bit by me, as well. If a VN gets enough recommendation, then it will be added to the OP. A good amount of popular VNs are sometimes made into anime, but they often lose the quality they had as a VN when they do. I speak by personal experience, mostly. If a VN has enough vote to be kicked off the OP, I will remove it.

Where there is no opinion on a VN, I'm asking you guys for help. I can't play every single VN in existence, and I can't write my own opinion on all the visual novels too, it's a community thread, not my thread.

References:

The Visual Novel Database : Pretty much contains every VN in existence, best place to start looking if you are interested in a VN or want to find new VNs releases.

Here is a useful image to recommend you VNs as well

(Thanks to iLife_Aftermath)

Another one here

Places where you can buy/check Eroge or visual novels (Some are NSFW)

Useful website to check out visual novels as well : http://www.jastusa.com/

SOME VNs might not WORK EVEN WITH AN ENGLISH PATCH. THIS IS WHERE YOU NEED ASIAN LANGUAGE PACK on your operating system. When you have installed them, you can either

A) Change your computer's unicode to Japanese, which will do funny things to your computer (Nothing permanent), but you'll be able to play the VN
    or
    B) Use Applocale.

Here is a neat tutorial on how to install and use Applocale

Now, let's go!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Winner x 55Dumb x 54Funny x 4Optimistic x 3Friendly x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,117 Posts
    Woohoo more recommendations! I actually just got done with KS, and I am starting Saya no Uta because my friend recommended it to me. After that, probably going to go for one of the shorter ones then start on the monster that is Clannad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    9,412 Posts
    Hum, what dos that have to do with games?
    Or are these related to games in a way? I can't tell
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,682 Posts
    Woohoo more recommendations! I actually just got done with KS, and I am starting Saya no Uta because my friend recommended it to me. After that, probably going to go for one of the shorter ones then start on the monster that is Clannad.
    Saya is extremely short, like you can do it in less than 10 hours.

Of course, if a friend told you to play Saya no Uta. He means you ill. It's pretty fucking terrifying. I had a real set of nightmares after playing it too. (I ended it at 4 am, went to bed, had the worst dream session ever)

Edited:

Hum, what dos that have to do with games?
    Or are these related to games in a way? I can't tell
    It is a game in the sense they provide interactivity in the storyline. There's no other places fit for visual novels in the Facepunch forums. It's a very unique media.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,117 Posts
    Saya is extremely short, like you can do it in less than 10 hours.

Of course, if a friend told you to play Saya no Uta. He means you ill. It's pretty fucking terrifying. I had a real set of nightmares after playing it too. (I ended it at 4 am, went to bed, had the worst dream session ever)

Edited:

It is a game in the sense they provide interactivity in the storyline. There's no other places fit for visual novels in the Facepunch forums. It's a very unique media.
    He told me it was fucked. I enjoy playing things that are fucked. Mostly because I have nightmares regardless.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,682 Posts
    He told me it was fucked. I enjoy playing things that are fucked. Mostly because I have nightmares regardless.
    It's definitively entertaining if you're into the fucked up stuff. It's an above average creepy pasta, to say it shortly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,117 Posts
    It's definitively entertaining if you're into the fucked up stuff. It's an above average creepy pasta, to say it shortly.
    I noticed that from the first scene. The noises scared the FUCK out of me the first two times I tried to play it. On the third time, I sort of cheated and shut off my sound for a little bit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    6,257 Posts
    I love the smell of new thread at 8:03 PM. So, Which ones are free?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,117 Posts
    Katawa Shoujo (kind of obvious since you have played it), Saya no Uta. Don't know about any of the others.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    6,257 Posts
    Saya no uta seems to be to much for a coward like me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,682 Posts
    A fair amount of them aren't free. The problem is that most of them are sold only in Japanese sites that will not accept any credit card from around here, or plainly aren't for sale anymore (Old ones). I could link to the developers' website, but it'd probably be a pain to read through.

Edited:

Saya no uta seems to be to much for a coward like me.
    Really, if you have doubts, don't play Saya no Uta. it's extremely high in the nightmare fuel scale.

12. Post #12
    It's time to unban Banshee Friend
    Dennab
    April 2011
    5,915 Posts
    Sad to see the Ks thread was about to be locked, but then I saw this thread. I lost interest in anime styled art and shit a while ago, but this stuff really has gotten me hooked.

Edited:

That's what google translate is for.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,682 Posts
    Sad to see the Ks thread was about to be locked, but then I saw this thread. I lost interest in anime styled art and shit a while ago, but this stuff really has gotten me hooked.
    Visual novels got me in the anime/weaboo scene a few years ago. I still can't stand a lot of animes today, but visual novels are always pleasant to read. They take a much more important approach on character and story development than say an anime that keeps spamming attacks that takes the entire screen for 5 minutes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    Stuff done did
    October 2011
    13,382 Posts
    Sweet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart
    November 2007
    7,692 Posts
    GOOD CHRIST I LOVE ANIME
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 7Funny Funny x 7Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,682 Posts
    Even if you have google translate, some visual novels are only available on DVDs that you just can't find around here.

Like Key's visual novels, there's absolutely no way to get them unless you get the DVD, which is only sold in Japan (and at quite a high price too)

17. Post #17
    June 2008
    941 Posts
    I'd still consider Phoenix Wright more of a game. I mean, you got to actually solve how everything happened in the case based on the witness reports and evidence, you've got to prove shit in court and call witnesses on their false testimony based on the evidence etc.

Yeah, I understand it basically is a linear visual novel story wise, but I feel like there is enough interactivity and thought you have to put in by the player to make it more of a game than a VN. You got to solve the case if you want to finish the story. In a regular VN you just make choices and read a long most of the time.

Also the first game is on the app store for pretty cheap ($4.99) if you don't have a DS, and the two sequels released after it are coming to the app store as well. It's one of my favorite DS series and I recommend everyone to at least check it out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    6,257 Posts
    Really, if you have doubts, don't play Saya no Uta. it's extremely high in the nightmare fuel scale.
    The question is does it have screamers or sudden sounds. Because otherwise i probably won't find it scary.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,682 Posts
    I'd still consider Phoenix Wright more of a game. I mean, you got to actually solve how everything happened in the case based on the witness reports and evidence, you've got to prove shit in court and call witnesses on their false testimony based on the evidence etc.

Yeah, I understand it basically is a linear visual novel story wise, but I feel like there is enough interactivity and thought you have to put in by the player to make it more of a game than a VN. You got to solve the case if you want to finish the story. In a regular VN you just make choices and read a long most of the time.

Also the first game is on the app store for pretty cheap ($4.99) if you don't have a DS, and the two sequels released after it are coming to the app store as well. It's one of my favorite DS series and I recommend everyone to at least check it out.
    There's a lot of vns that needs you to select specific choices if you want to reach an ending.

But I get what you mean. Phoenix Wright has a lot more interactivity than your average visual novel.

Edited:

The question is does it have screamers or sudden sounds. Because otherwise i probably won't find it scary.
    No screamers, No sudden sounds. It's a visual novel, not a cheap scare knock off.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    6,257 Posts
    Awesome. In that case i'm going to give it a try.

21. Post #21
    Stuff done did
    October 2011
    13,382 Posts
    I'm going to start Utawarerumo this weekend since chunky recommended it to me.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,682 Posts
    I'm going to start Utawarerumo this weekend since chunky recommended it to me.
    Cool, make sure to give me some more info when you've done it, I have low info on that vn
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Just read up a bit on Saya no Uta

Jesus that's some hardcore shit

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,117 Posts
    Just read up a bit on Saya no Uta

Jesus that's some hardcore shit
    I'd say so. It is fairly interesting though and the art is good.

25. Post #25
    Kawaii Member
    July 2005
    16,914 Posts
    want me to clean up the list of VNs you have there using some fancy tags
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

26. Post #26
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Peru Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,832 Posts
    I don't think I could get over the dopey faces in Kanon
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,682 Posts
    want me to clean up the list of VNs you have there using some fancy tags
    Sure, I'll accept any help!

Edited:

I don't think I could get over the dopey faces in Kanon
    It's an established fact the eyes in Kanon are pretty retarded.

I got over it, but it's mostly because I spend much more time reading than checking the art.

29. Post #29
    It's time to unban Banshee Friend
    Dennab
    April 2011
    5,915 Posts
    Okay I'm tired, my eyes are bleeding. What do I get in return?

30. Post #30
    Stuff done did
    October 2011
    13,382 Posts
    Okay I'm tired, my eyes are bleeding. What do I get in return?
    Bloody shirt/pants

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    18,741 Posts
    Utawarerumono was pretty good. I enjoyed it.

I also watched the anime which was also good but not AS good as the VN for obvious reasons.

Edited:

I'm also currently going through Cross Channel but I'm taking my time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

32. Post #32
    DMY
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    259 Posts
    Just a note on Fate/Stay Night (my personal favourite) - I know there was a patch being developed in order to remove the H-content by replacing it with the scenes from the PS2 re-release, Realta Nua. I'm not sure how far that got, though...Look it up if you'd rather skip over the slightly awkward sex scenes, they might have put something out.

On that note...Best place to check for anyone who's interested in F/SN and Tsukihime is a site called Mirror-Moon, as they should have English patches available.

As well as that, Fate/Zero, the prequel to Fate/Stay Night, actually started as a novel, and that was being translated as well (though by now it's probably easier to watch the anime, which is really good) - again, not sure how far that got, but it is out there and shouldn't be too hard to find.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

33. Post #33
    March 2010
    989 Posts
    Finally an excuse to post this underrated ds game

999: 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors

Synopsis: The main protagonist Junpei was kidnapped along with other 8 others by a mysterious person. Awoken by the sudden shake on the floor, Junpei was shock that he was in a ship, lock in a room, with water pouring out of the window

Genre: Action, Drama, Psychological

Opinion: You need to play it several times, you'll know what I mean if you play it. Do not be discourage if you got the bad ending first because it's still connected to the story. Also it has some dark humor in it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Philippines Show Events Winner Winner x 16 (list)

34. Post #34
    ILY's Lover
    October 2009
    1,137 Posts
    Why is Umineko there but not Higurashi.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

35. Post #35
    Kawaii Member
    July 2005
    16,914 Posts
    Why is Umineko there but not Higurashi.
    except it's there
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    18,741 Posts
    except it's there
    The image for it is broken.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    12,357 Posts
    Saya no Uta is creepy as fuck, I just couldn't get into it.

38. Post #38
    ILY's Lover
    October 2009
    1,137 Posts
    The image for it is broken.
    Yeah, I didn't notice it was there because of that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

39. Post #39
    Kawaii Member
    July 2005
    16,914 Posts
    not gonna lie, I missed it too because of that. I'm currently making a new version of the list using tables for maximum anime exposure so I'll fix it at the same time
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

40. Post #40
    November 2009
    1,223 Posts
    How the hell can something called Devil on a G-String not have very much explicit content?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)