1. Post #8241
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,298 Posts
    They're working on Dota 2 Test on wednesdays, don't expect anything big TF2 related.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #8242
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    1,426 Posts
    To extend this sentiment, the guys I talked to on a tour were really, really bad at saying no to people's faces. It's not that they hate communication, but they also hate letting people down. You should have seen how ashamed some of them were of the early days of steam and how unreliable it is.

EDIT: Psychopath, that was the joke. I was joking that cosmetics are no longer considered "content" to Exor.
    Cosmetics are permissible when packaged alongside items of relevance to the gameplay. As they are now, the Thursday cosmetics require only the barest minimum of testing before shipment; essentially, Valve makes a profit simply by amending the game with exogenous material. Minimal effort is expended in this process. Weapons, game modes, maps, and bosses at least force the team to exercise their brains. I'd like to think the TF2 team gets paid for something other than house cleaning and minor code.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #8243
    Dreams of chronic and sustained critglows.
    December 2010
    16,945 Posts
    I think you're somewhat underestimating the amount of work needed to add a hat (especially from a new contributor)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #8244
    May 2011
    2,885 Posts
    I think you're somewhat underestimating the amount of work needed to add a hat (especially from a new contributor)
    My sentiments exactly. Tests to do, correspondence to make, codes to write, icons to make, legal papers file, all being done on almost a weekly basis now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Aruba Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #8245
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    1,426 Posts
    Underestimation notwithstanding, it's still exponentially less than what is needed for more impactful endeavors. What's happening now, as you so graciously asserted, is routine mundanity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #8246
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    16,495 Posts
    It's a bit unfair to compare the work required.

For adding a new cosmetic, there is lots of paperwork to be filed so that all of the legal things can be sorted out. Adding entries to the Mann Co catalogue and item schema isn't as programming-heavy as coding a new attribute or gamemode, it's just modifying things in a database. There is still some coding involved, but it's not as involved as creating something new from a programming perspective.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

7. Post #8247
    December 2010
    16,945 Posts
    I mean I used to sit on here all day and bang about how little effort was needed to make half a dozen hats paintable and fix all the sounds.

Then 8 hours later I had done it and I realized that maybe it takes a really long time to do "simple" stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #8248
    February 2011
    2,738 Posts
    What I want to know is how much profit they make on the weekly items. Are enough people buying the new hats to warrant the ability to delay full-content updates which are probably more profitable but also harder to produce. I think Valve will probably keep churning out full-content updates to attract new players since the weekly items is probably not bringing in players.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #8249
    June 2010
    64 Posts
    wait until tomorrow. Today is Wednesday.
    But for us, it's been the night for a week.

You see, the way of hype can be free and beautiful. But we have lost the way.

Cosmetics has poisoned men's souls, has barricaded the world with hats, has goose-stepped us into bickery and disbelief.

We have developed community submissions but we have shut ourselves in, Workshop that gives abundance has left us in want.
    Our lack of knowledge has made us cynical, our cleverness hard and unkind.

We think too much about it and feel too little.

More than hattery we need weaponry.

More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness.

...And well, as with everything, patience.

Communities have their own ways on the wait cycle. Some of us stops beliving, some of us sets the wait on background and thinks of other subjects.

And well, some us just plain wait. Since hey, every elevator stops at one point, be it the top floor, or the basement.

I mean hey, the sheer negative attitude of this topic has animated me to go poke and dig up my account info.

Oh and just in case this week's night won't be The night, I went ahead and made a robot for you people (Well, atleast I had a robot in mind when doing it)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 8Informative Informative x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #8250
    December 2010
    16,945 Posts
    I can imagine the Fast Learner, Boom Bringer and Nine Pipe Problem earned some nice money. Probably makes up for the duds like the Conquistador
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

11. Post #8251
    February 2011
    2,738 Posts
    I can imagine the Fast Learner, Boom Bringer and Nine Pipe Problem earned some nice money. Probably makes up for the duds like the Conquistador
    Most of the items have been Hit while some like the Apple, Aladin lamp, and Conquistador have been Miss.

12. Post #8252
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,723 Posts
    You know what I wish for? A cape for the pyro. Would look badass with the pyromancer's mask. I wouldn't mind paying money for that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

13. Post #8253
    May 2011
    2,885 Posts
    Oh I can tell you, if our last few items are an indication, which many of you are not too fond of, I say they earn quite a lot. (unless one wonderful soul bought around 2000 cozy campers, thank him so much) and that's just my items. They could easily rake in millions monthly. Oh course we are talking around the millions too for running facilities, servers, paying employees and licensing fees and all that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Aruba Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #8254
    Captain Westcliff: Thinks Wales is an Island
    January 2006
    18,052 Posts
    You know what I wish for? A cape for the pyro. Would look badass with the pyromancer's mask. I wouldn't mind paying money for that.
    oh that might work out quite nicely with that canister bodygroup

Edited:

Oh I can tell you, if our last few items are an indication, which many of you are not too fond of, I say they earn quite a lot. (unless one wonderful soul bought around 2000 cozy campers, thank him so much) and that's just my items. They could easily rake in millions monthly. Oh course we are talking around the millions too for running facilities, servers, paying employees and licensing fees and all that.
    show off!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

15. Post #8255
    May 2011
    2,885 Posts

Edited:

show off!
    Considering the inordinate amounts of pirate wannabes out there, it makes us wonder how much booty* a certain creator made for the mighty pirate set. :P

*booty applied both figuratively and literally.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Aruba Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #8256
    December 2010
    16,945 Posts
    true story: I know someone who bought a Cozy Camper but then deleted it when he didn't like its stats

...not sure why :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 17Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #8257
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    16,495 Posts
    It'd have to be small enough that it doesn't break the Pyro's silhouette or they'll likely reject it on those grounds.

Tiny capes can look nice if done well vv

Edited:

Considering the inordinate amounts of pirate wannabes out there, it makes us wonder how much booty* a certain creator made for the mighty pirate set. :P

*booty applied both figuratively and literally.
    Don't make fun of Neo's badonkadonk, he's very sensitive about his weight.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

18. Post #8258
    May 2011
    2,885 Posts
    true story: I know someone who bought a Cozy Camper but then deleted it when he didn't like its stats

...not sure why :/
    Honestly, I wouldn't blame him. They could have made a better stat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Aruba Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

19. Post #8259
    i have an ear fetish and lie like a basterd. i wasn't lying about the ears though. what a shitty title.
    December 2011
    1,424 Posts
    Honestly, I wouldn't blame him. They could have made a better stat.
    He coulda atleast had checked the stats before buying it then :v
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

20. Post #8260
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    16,495 Posts
    He coulda atleast had checked the stats before buying it then :v
    He was probably one of those super-geniuses who thought it was a Misc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 2 (list)

21. Post #8261
    February 2011
    2,738 Posts
    I wonder how long till the next Arena map is released? Its been a few years but unlike TC, People actually play Arena
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #8262
    I'm a very kind and awesome person!
    June 2010
    11,190 Posts
    Wow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

23. Post #8263
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    949 Posts
    Really amazes me 2000 people spent 10.00 on something you could craft for under $5
    No offense to ronin; it looks great. It just suprises me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

24. Post #8264
    Captain Westcliff: Thinks Wales is an Island
    January 2006
    18,052 Posts
    Really amazes me 2000 people spent 10.00 on something you could craft for under $5
    valves texture doesn't look great >_>
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

25. Post #8265
    May 2011
    2,885 Posts
    Hey i'm terrible at math but yeah i can't explain it any plainer than that and i am well aware how many think the item is terrible and i agree with that sentiment. Mostly at least.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Aruba Show Events

26. Post #8266
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    5,130 Posts
    Some people don't want to go though the pain of gathering the items and others like to give thanks to the creator. Not everyone is fixated on getting the best deal possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #8267
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    16,495 Posts
    Some people don't want to go though the pain of gathering the items and others like to give thanks to the creator. Not everyone is fixated on getting the best deal possible.
    Getting one's hands on Jarate and a Razorback is considered a pain now?

Impatience I can understand, but it's hardly pain at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

28. Post #8268
    May 2011
    2,885 Posts
    Getting one's hands on Jarate and a Razorback is considered a pain now?

Impatience I can understand, but it's hardly pain at all.
    I gotta say, those few days, jarate and razorbacks were hard to get. :|
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Aruba Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

29. Post #8269
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,969 Posts
    That's actually pretty true, people who had Razorbacks and Jarate weren't letting them go for cheap.

30. Post #8270
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    16,495 Posts
    That's actually pretty true, people who had Razorbacks and Jarate weren't letting them go for cheap.
    They were just exploiting the fact that demand for those 2 items had a spike in demand due to their inclusion in a craft recipe. This happens every time that there's a new craft recipe, Black Boxes were going for as high as 2 reclaimed when the Cow Mangler 5000 was added. People just want to get their mitts on the new stat-changing weapons before anything gets potentially nerfed.

Patience pays off, though. And having a circle of friends who are willing to share items with their other friends makes weapon trading a lot less of a pain.

31. Post #8271
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    353 Posts
    Razorbacks have never been a problem for me. For some reason the drop system likes to shower me with them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #8272
    INFERIOR CROCODILE ALLIGATOR
    January 2010
    1,377 Posts
    I know it's been said before, but goddamn, I want some more witty-ass cosmetic sets. Y'know, like the Fruit Shoot/Huntsman and the Nine-Pipe/Private Eye. There's just so much goddamned potential, y'know? I mean, hopefully I'm not the only one who gets a chuckle out of them.

I mean, for god's sake, I noticed on the wiki for the Stainless Pot, "The slang term 'Kitchen Warrior' refers to Soldiers who use this hat in combination with the Frying Pan"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

33. Post #8273
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,969 Posts
    What about Fryro for Chef Hat wearing, Pan wielding Pyros?

34. Post #8274
    May 2011
    6,278 Posts
    I know it's been said before, but goddamn, I want some more witty-ass cosmetic sets. Y'know, like the Fruit Shoot/Huntsman and the Nine-Pipe/Private Eye. There's just so much goddamned potential, y'know? I mean, hopefully I'm not the only one who gets a chuckle out of them.

I mean, for god's sake, I noticed on the wiki for the Stainless Pot, "The slang term 'Kitchen Warrior' refers to Soldiers who use this hat in combination with the Frying Pan"
    Pyro Duck Bill+Respectless Rubber Glove=The Original Recipe Set
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

35. Post #8275
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    16,495 Posts

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2597432

You can bump it if you want, but I'm in the same boat -- supporting the idea of more 100% cosmetic sets.

36. Post #8276
    July 2011
    793 Posts
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2597432

You can bump it if you want, but I'm in the same boat -- supporting the idea of more 100% cosmetic sets.
    Gym Rat and Toss-Proof Towel.

MIND

BLOWN
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

37. Post #8277
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    7,789 Posts
    Gym Rat and Toss-Proof Towel.

MIND

BLOWN
    I'm thinking of trying to get this combo.

Might be coo'.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

38. Post #8278
    November 2011
    520 Posts
    Crap wrong thread -_-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #8279
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,723 Posts

Edited:

show off!
    Indeed! Back in the day Ragnar and I were trying to model a cape before the oxygen tank became a bodygroup and we both agreed it was gonna' be impossible.

But now that it's a bodygroup, I guess we could try again. Maybe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 19Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #8280
    October 2011
    799 Posts

Hell that combinaton is part of my "cobbled together" soldier set, ornament armament makes him seem like he stole his rocket launcher and couldn't find a shovel.

holds me over until the junkyard soldier pack comes out