1. Post #161
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    12,030 Posts
    Some of you guys need to read the OP:

Alright, official format thing for applying to the build:

MC Name:

Previous building experience: images and videos only
    IF YOU HAVE OVER 700 POSTS OR ARE A GOLD MEMBER, YOU DON'T NEED THIS, BECAUSE YOU GUYS ARE MORE LIKELY TO NOT SHIT THINGS UP.
    Edited:

Coolity has over 700 posts so he'll be whitelisted when the admins get to it.

2. Post #162
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    5,906 Posts
    I'm building the second floor. Anyone wanna lend a hand?

Edit: Just finished the floor.

Edit 2: Someone brought back the fences.

3. Post #163
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,158 Posts
    For anyone still taking part, I finished the rail system on the second floor. My idea was for it to lead to an area where produce is made to be fed to the creatures in the Nature Dome, so if someone could spawn in a dome of medium-large size that'd be great.

4. Post #164
    December 2009
    7,270 Posts
    You know me, Inacio.

I may pop on a bit later and help out, please whitelist me.

5. Post #165
    I remember when titles used to mean something, now you can get one for a dollar, this all used to be fields, get off my lawn damn kids etc.
    May 2006
    6,328 Posts
    Hey, can I get a whitelist?

evlbzltyr

6. Post #166
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,158 Posts
    Does anybody know of any methods of making a Sapling producer, like a mob trap for trees? Part of the original idea of this was that it'd have tons of Redstone trickery, and I think putting something like that into a presentable casing would be a welcome challenge.

7. Post #167
    I remember when titles used to mean something, now you can get one for a dollar, this all used to be fields, get off my lawn damn kids etc.
    May 2006
    6,328 Posts
    Does anybody know of any methods of making a Sapling producer, like a mob trap for trees? Part of the original idea of this was that it'd have tons of Redstone trickery, and I think putting something like that into a presentable casing would be a welcome challenge.
    What about if it was similar to the piston elevator that got posted, only horizontal as opposed to vertical, with a dirt block with a sapling on it, and when the tree grows, the horizontal elevator thing is activated and all the wooden blocks are pushed away, leaving the leaves, which eventually decay, dropping down into some sort of delivery system like in mob traps..?

That's the only way I can think of doing it, but the trees would need to be replaced, and there'd have to be a lot of them all side by side for it to be worth it. Plus a fair number of the leaves would be pushed out as well, so it's not exactly what you'd call efficient. Unless the wooden blocks were pushed from above or below, in which case only one or two blocks of leaves would be lost. I dunno, I'm not that good with redstone.

8. Post #168
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,158 Posts
    What about if it was similar to the piston elevator that got posted, only horizontal as opposed to vertical, with a dirt block with a sapling on it, and when the tree grows, the horizontal elevator thing is activated and all the wooden blocks are pushed away, leaving the leaves, which eventually decay, dropping down into some sort of delivery system like in mob traps..?

That's the only way I can think of doing it, but the trees would need to be replaced, and there'd have to be a lot of them all side by side for it to be worth it. Plus a fair number of the leaves would be pushed out as well, so it's not exactly what you'd call efficient. Unless the wooden blocks were pushed from above or below, in which case only one or two blocks of leaves would be lost. I dunno, I'm not that good with redstone.
    Well, that's certainly better than anything I could come up with. I was considering a simple timer made out of four repeaters set up in such a way that, by the time it was finished and a pulse could be sent out, a tree would have grown.

I have no idea how we'd get the actual sapling from an idea like that, though.

9. Post #169
    May 2006
    6,328 Posts
    Well, that's certainly better than anything I could come up with. I was considering a simple timer made out of four repeaters set up in such a way that, by the time it was finished and a pulse could be sent out, a tree would have grown.

Combining your idea with mine would make it so that no one has to watch for the tree and press the button, but they'd still need to plant a sapling at the right time.

Also, maybe there could be a redstone torch near the dirt block that would light up to indicate when it was okay to put the sapling down, and then turn off again to indicate that it was too late, or something? Not sure how easy that would be to do... It'd require one heck of a lot of redstone wiring, though.

10. Post #170
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    7,671 Posts

If you need a device that detects when a tree has grown, there's a few methods.
    The simplest is just having a clock feed a repeater pointing towards the sapling. When the tree grows, the pulse will be able to travel through the bottom-most log.
    Another method that involves a clock but remains locked in the "on" position until the tree has been removed is a device I made called a "treelay".

You feed it with a clock signal, and the piston pushes a block back and forth behind the repeater facing away from the sapling. When the tree grows, a constant signal is transmitted through the log back into the piston circuit, locking it in place until it is removed.

11. Post #171
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    18,058 Posts
    Do you people intend on continuing this? I don't want to have darksoul wasting a server if it ain't gonna be used. :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #172
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    12,030 Posts
    I guess you can tell him you close the server until we all agree on an idea. Maybe the underwater city isn't the right one.

I'd love to continue building but I'm afraid that there will be someone that doesn't like what I've built, so there is barely any progress now.

No one is even on the server anymore so there isn't really anyone to oppose it being closed until we all agree on something.

Edited:

I'm building a museum now and the waffle over there is building a train station.

13. Post #173
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    5,906 Posts
    I'm usin' the server.

14. Post #174
    April 2011
    335 Posts
    Whitelist please,
    litmeuplol.

15. Post #175
    May 2006
    6,328 Posts
    Pretty sure this is, like, the third time I've asked, but; can I get whitelisted? Please?

evlbzltyr

16. Post #176
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    4,648 Posts
    Sounds cool, please whitelist

Ramalayha

17. Post #177
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    18,058 Posts
    I asked darksoul to get this closed so it doesn't waste his resources.

If at any point in time you feel like doing a collab - or even continuing this one - let us know and we can see.
    But be organized, make some concepts and assign objectives.

If anyone wants the map for whatever reason: http://www.mediafire.com/?gi3ichpuaucdwzl

18. Post #178
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    7,671 Posts
    Probably the problem you guys are having is you're just saying "We need a theme" when what you really need is to thoroughly plan out building placement before you start building anything, and get some design rules set up in advance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

19. Post #179
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,158 Posts
    Okay guys...

How about we build a space-ship?

Now, I've got an incredibly WIP design right here, so we can stick to that. For a general idea of scale, the Mining Deck should be about as big as the Poor District in our last build.

Now, I am aware that means the Crew Quarters would be pretty tiny, and I'll change it in a sec. But just for a basic idea, what do you guys think?

20. Post #180
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    5,906 Posts
    If we were ever to make a ship, I do believe we should do this:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

21. Post #181
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    7,180 Posts
    I'd be down for this again if we did a spaceship. Would be fun to try making one.

22. Post #182
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,158 Posts
    Right, I figured we'll need to do this on the latest Snapshot, if you guys are okay with that. It's just that the newest Snapshot has upside-down stairs, and they'll be useful in making the main thrusters look as close to a circle as we can get.

Or we can use blocks. Whichever way you guys prefer.

Edited:

Alright, revised design I just remembered to do.

Is this a good base to get a general idea of? Y/N?

23. Post #183
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    7,180 Posts
    If it's a side view then it's hard to say, why are there thrusters at the front?

It'd be cool to try and make a ship that isn't essentially a huge brick and has some interesting design to it. Would be more impressive that way, too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #184
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    5,906 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

25. Post #185
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    12,030 Posts
    No we're going to build a full scale Death Star.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

26. Post #186
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,158 Posts
    If it's a side view then it's hard to say, why are there thrusters at the front?
    Well, in space there's no resistance to stop you from just drifting on forever, so you need thrusters in mutliple directions as well as a primary one to move you where you need to go. By the same coin, it doesn't need to be pointy at all because there's no air to cut through, so you may as well get in lots of room for crew and equipment.

27. Post #187
    January 2010
    5,139 Posts
    I say, let's do this.

But we will need a map that is just air and void. Plus, the fog and void needs to be black.

I would recommend Voxelsniper as a plugin to asteroids and other space objects.

28. Post #188
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,158 Posts
    So what do we do server-wise? And should we spend more time on the designs, or have you guys got a good enough idea to be getting on with?

29. Post #189
    October 2009
    1,604 Posts
    So what do we do server-wise? And should we spend more time on the designs, or have you guys got a good enough idea to be getting on with?
    I may be able to help with the server situation,I rented one and so far it has attracted far less attention than I was expecting,so if you guys use it for a short bit it would be no problem to me.

30. Post #190
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,158 Posts
    I may be able to help with the server situation,I rented one and so far it has attracted far less attention than I was expecting,so if you guys use it for a short bit it would be no problem to me.
    How long have you rented it out for? I want to plan ahead as much as possible, but if you've only got a few weeks or anything in that time range we really need to get a move on.

31. Post #191
    October 2009
    1,604 Posts
    How long have you rented it out for? I want to plan ahead as much as possible, but if you've only got a few weeks or anything in that time range we really need to get a move on.
    1 full year started last Saturday.

My own collaborative build failed on me I ended up trying to do the whole damn thing myself.

32. Post #192
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,158 Posts
    1 full year started last Saturday.

My own collaborative build failed on me I ended up trying to do the whole damn thing myself.
    A whole year? Well, we can take as long as we want then I guess.

Alright, generally cool things people want to put into the build? We didn't manage to get that elevator working, that'd be useful in a gigantic space-ship. Any neat Redstone contraptions people want to build?

33. Post #193
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    5,906 Posts
    RED DWARF.

We should wait 'till the update tomorrow, methinks redstone lights will be amazing for the ship.

34. Post #194
    Eh?
    May 2007
    2,320 Posts
    Could I be Whitelisted?
    CanadianBill
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

35. Post #195
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,158 Posts
    Could I be Whitelisted?
    CanadianBill
    We haven't got everything set up yet. I'd rather we plan ahead a bit this time, as that's what screwed up the Rapture build.

36. Post #196
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,855 Posts
    RED DWARF.

We should wait 'till the update tomorrow, methinks redstone lights will be amazing for the ship.
    Wont that make the update happen in a week or two? Because Bukkit is always behind the actual minecraft releases
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #197
    October 2009
    1,604 Posts
    A whole year? Well, we can take as long as we want then I guess.

Alright, generally cool things people want to put into the build? We didn't manage to get that elevator working, that'd be useful in a gigantic space-ship. Any neat Redstone contraptions people want to build?
    You can use it for a while but I do intend on using it for my own collaborative project once i get some more interest.

38. Post #198
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,158 Posts
    Wont that make the update happen in a week or two? Because Bukkit is always behind the actual minecraft releases
    Well Bukkit is being made into the official API, so it'll probably take much less time than it used to.

You can use it for a while but I do intend on using it for my own collaborative project once i get some more interest.
    We won't take long if we've got direction. Four months, at the absolute most; you get the other eight to yourself.

Is everybody okay with this dealing?

39. Post #199
    October 2009
    1,604 Posts
    Well Bukkit is being made into the official API, so it'll probably take much less time than it used to.

We won't take long if we've got direction. Four months, at the absolute most; you get the other eight to yourself.

Is everybody okay with this dealing?
    Four months is a long time,make a plan and figure out how long it should take you and we'll work from there.

40. Post #200
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,855 Posts
    The entire problem with the last build was that we had no planning.
    The server should be the very last thing we figure out.