1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,824 Posts
    [table="width: 800, align: center"]
    [tr]
    [td]Download Now: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso

Welcome to the Windows 8 Megathread. Windows 8 is right on time, and should be expected around October 2012. Read on to find out more.

Perhaps the most talked debated feature of 8 is the new start menu.

The new start menu isn't a menu at all. In fact, it's a screen! That's right, the start menu now takes up your entire display, not just the little 400x600 area it took up before.

Many people seem to have the idea that this is the new desktop and they don't like it. It's not true! Your traditional desktop is an icon on the start screen, only a click away.

The new start screen also allows you to also launch new applications, commonly called "Metro Style" applications. These applications are full screen immersive applications - think of them as apps on a tablet, phone, whatever. These applications do not have to be touch first, however. Many metro applications work just as well with a keyboard and mouse. For example, the popular game "Cut The Rope" was modified to be a Metro application that works just as well with a touch screen as well as a mouse.

But to get to this new start screen, you must log in. There is a new way to log into windows.

Instead of the traditional logon you are greeted with a full sized picture, along with the time and a few live feeds of information. To log in, you simply tap the spacebar (or swipe from the bottom, if you have a touch device) to enter your password and / or go to the start screen. You also have the option to enter a picture password, where you can perform different gestures over a photo to login.

The next cool feature in Windows 8 is "System Refresh/Reset".

System Refresh allows you to do a format of your computer while keeping most of your data intact - your metro style applications, your files, documents, etc. It unfortunately does not keep your desktop apps.
    System Reset allows you to do a complete format and restores your computer back to its out-of-box state. (Tip: You can actually create the image it uses to reset. So you can install all your games, etc and set that as the image). It's useful when you want to keep nothing - or have everything backed up to your SkyDrive account (And we'll get into that later as well).

On the desktop side of things, the Ribbon has been added to Explorer.

Don't be afraid, it looks like a waste of space, but in fact it actually fits more on the screen that the old Explorer window did. The buttons in the ribbon are useful for both computer noobs and power users alike. If you don't like it, collapse it. Simple as that. After trying it out I have found it incredibly useful.

Task manager has also been updated, providing a more detailed view to your running processes and applications - including graphs and statistics.

There is a new "file history" system to keep your files backed up - similar to Apple's Time Capsule.

There is also a new integration with Windows Skydrive - you get 25GB of storage space for whatever you want - great for backing up files before a format or just to be safe from data loss.

A webcam app is included by deafult. Exciting.

Portable Workspaces are a new feature for enterprise editions - allowing people to take their computer anywhere they go on a 32GB+ flash drive. If it can boot from a flash drive, they can use their computer on it.

There are many other small things added into Windows 8 - changes have been made so that your computer boots faster, shuts down faster, has a longer battery life, and many other performance improvements. Since Microsoft's antitrust agreement has expired, many features, such as an Antivirus program (more detail below) and a PDF reader, are now available out of the box.

A built in-antivirus, Windows Defender, now is included by default. (Windows Defender used to be only an anti-spyware application, but it has been expanded to be a full antivirus program - likely based off of the highly successful Microsoft Security Essentials.

Windows 8 went RTM (released to manufacturers, including partners like HP) on August 1st. Expect to see it hitting shelves on October 26th, 2012.

The Release Preview is available on Microsoft's website. See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso for more info.
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner x 39Dumb x 36Funny x 4Artistic x 1Late x 1Disagree x 1Useful x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    June 2011
    255 Posts
    I won't be buying this, the new start menu and stuff is incredibly unuseful and ugly. I see no reason to actually downgrade to this.

(User was banned for this post ("Trolling" - verynicelady))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 67Dumb x 44Funny x 8Disagree x 3Winner x 1Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    September 2008
    872 Posts
    I won't be buying this, the new start menu and stuff is incredibly unuseful and ugly. I see no reason to actually downgrade to this.
    Thanks for bringing something meaningful to this discussion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 30Agree Agree x 10Dumb Dumb x 9Funny Funny x 4 (list)

4. Post #4
    Dennab
    January 2012
    95 Posts
    Yes, the performance upgrades are absolutely useless with that entirely optional UI.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing x 22Dumb x 8Informative x 2Agree x 2Optimistic x 1Disagree x 1Winner x 1Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,824 Posts
    Then why bother posting in a thread for it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 11Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    June 2011
    255 Posts
    Then why bother posting in a thread for it?
    Just stating my opinion on it and winding up some fanboys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb x 44Funny x 10Agree x 6Winner x 3Disagree x 1Useful x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    January 2010
    232 Posts
    oh cool a new thread
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,880 Posts
    Just stating my opinion on it and winding up some fanboys.
    So you're trying to start something? That is in some places known as trolling, you know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,824 Posts
    and winding up some fanboys.
    Which is a bannable offence.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree x 24Dumb x 2Informative x 1Funny x 1Zing x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    84 Posts
    I actually find it quite useful. The new Start button and Metro Style makes my workspace neater and easier to use. If you don't like it, then what's the point in posting?

On the subject, I will definitely be buying a tablet PC. Windows 8 has blown me away. At first i thought the UI was a joke. But I then realised it's a nice alternative to all these glass-looking GUI's, and isn't that bad after all
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    Thanks for making the new thread Panda - I would have done it but I've been so busy I haven't had the chance :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,824 Posts
    Thanks for making the new thread Panda - I would have done it but I've been so busy I haven't had the chance :)
    I would've asked but didn't figure I could have contacted you quickly and last time everyone fought to make. Would've been nice though since you always make better OPs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    Thank you Panda for making a new thread. I will bookmark this one now on my browser so I can track it. The layout you made for the First post is rather classy, I like it. Nice and organized with the culmination of all the gathered relevant information about Windows 8 without having to rummage through dozens of pages of content in the old Megathread.

I would also like to formally thank you for your efforts put into gathering research for the old thread, and being such a supporter of Windows 8, despite all the hard-asses that cant understand how change works.

I look forward to new media and the public beta release later this month.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    Fluttershy Enthusiast
    June 2011
    6,162 Posts
    Am I one of the few that likes the metro UI, and probably will use it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,750 Posts
    Am I one of the few that likes the metro UI, and probably will use it?
    I doubt there will be a lot of apps that will make use of it, that aren't games or things I would never use anyway. But as new start menu, I certainly will. The... launcher thingy in Ubuntu 11.10 is kind of similar, although I don't like how software you haven't installed also shows up there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    755 Posts
    I doubt there will be a lot of apps that will make use of it, that aren't games or things I would never use anyway. But as new start menu, I certainly will. The... launcher thingy in Ubuntu 11.10 is kind of similar, although I don't like how software you haven't installed also shows up there.
    Considering it's also going to be a tablet OS, I don't see any reason why there won't be any developer support. The absolute worst that could occur is that you have a bunch of mobile-focused apps that you can download on your desktop.

It all depends on the marketing push. If Windows 8 is everywhere, and W8 tablets flood the market, it's simply going to be that there will be a lot of support for both Metro and desktop.

Still, it's hard to ignore any direction Microsoft decides to take Windows. It's still the most visible OS on the market, and they have a lot of say in where both consumers and developers are looking.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,824 Posts
    Considering how many people use Windows and how many people develop for Windows and taking in to consideration both the tablet and desktop markets I'd bet there'd be a good many of apps available for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,750 Posts
    Considering how many people use Windows and how many people develop for Windows and taking in to consideration both the tablet and desktop markets I'd bet there'd be a good many of apps available for it.
    Yes, but I also meant how none of those would be useful to me. For one because I rarely work full-screen, and because I can't imagine any advantages of applications that use the Metro UI over normal desktop applications.

Personally, that is. I don't mind having it, I just doubt it will be of any use to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    735 Posts
    I know that the start menu can be disabled in Windows 8 right now in favour of the old Windows 7 start menu, but will this be possible in the final release? I quite enjoy the new features Windows 8 brings but having used the Developer Preview, this is the only features I don't want as a desktop-only user.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Late Late x 8Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    1,912 Posts
    Is there any real reasons to upgrade if you're a desktop user? Seems to me like it's all about the tablet experience.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 14Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    755 Posts
    Is there any real reasons to upgrade if you're a desktop user? Seems to me like it's all about the tablet experience.
    New file system incoming improves on data corruption handling and fault handling.
    New process model that emphasizes sleeping processes so the CPU can truly sleep when idle.
    Vastly lowered memory footprint.
    Even more R&D into UI thread priority, in general the GUI will be fast and slick regardless of CPU load.
    Reworked networking components for WiFi reconnects before the display even resumes.
    Integrated generic Windows drivers for 3G/4G, USB radio cards will be fast and easy.
    New redundant and multi-device storage options for high volumes of data.
    Generally faster boots and sleeps/resumes (ties into sleeping processes and cutting down on memory/service processes).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 10Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    New file system incoming improves on data corruption handling and fault handling.
    New process model that emphasizes sleeping processes so the CPU can truly sleep when idle.
    Even more R&D into UI thread priority, in general the GUI will be fast and slick regardless of CPU load.
    Reworked networking components for WiFi reconnects before the display even resumes.
    Integrated generic Windows drivers for 3G/4G, USB radio cards will be fast and easy.
    Generally faster boots and sleeps/resumes (ties into sleeping processes and cutting down on memory/service processes).
    Memory footprint seems about on par with my Windows 7 installation. I see no difference with my 2GB of RAM.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

24. Post #24
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,227 Posts
    And a vastly improved task manager, file transfer dialog, explorer, etc
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,824 Posts
    Memory footprint seems about on par with my Windows 7 installation. I see no difference with my 2GB of RAM.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner x 34Informative x 3Useful x 2Dumb x 2Late x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    September 2007
    386 Posts
    all they need to do it throw away aero, and use linux's KDE instead...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Israel Show Events Dumb x 25Funny x 8Disagree x 6Agree x 2Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,824 Posts
    But KDE is awful looking.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 31Disagree Disagree x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #28

September 2010
    458 Posts
    But KDE is awful looking.
    And is pretty ressource hungry
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 4Late Late x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    755 Posts
    Oh, dear lord, no. GNOME was at least a solid competitor to Aero, but KDE is god-awful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,253 Posts
    yes just throw away aero and slap KDE on top of windows!!

how do i computer?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 37Dumb Dumb x 3Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    April 2011
    9,227 Posts
    But MS should do away with Aero, the whole glass in GUI is just so superficial, and glass GUI's are getting out of fashion now (except for Apple's OSX, but then again deviantart teens love that stuff and they are the target demographic if their commercials are anything to judge by).

Edited:

I always liked the look of various Linux distros, minus the very recent ones that made them fugly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 17Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,824 Posts
    But MS should do away with Aero, the whole glass in GUI is just so superficial, and glass GUI's are getting out of fashion now (except for Apple's OSX, but then again deviantart teens love that stuff and they are the target demographic if their commercials are anything to judge by).

Edited:

I always liked the look of various Linux distros, minus the very recent ones that made them fugly.

I think glass themes can look nice. It's just that the default Aero isn't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    April 2011
    9,227 Posts
    I think making glass UI's good is difficult. There's a reason OSX only uses glass for one item pretty much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,824 Posts
    I think making glass UI's good is difficult.
    Took me 1 and a half years to make mine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    13,060 Posts
    My bigger issue with aero is that it has those absolutely massive borders everywhere. In a way that's what I love on metro the lack of them. I know where a window ends, I don't need the system scream at me with a massive border where it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 11Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,253 Posts

Edited:

linux distros have always been pretty gross looking. they still are pretty gross looking but at least they're trying now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

37. Post #37
    Fluttershy Enthusiast
    June 2011
    6,162 Posts
    Just use rainmeter I suppose if you want something to look KDE-ish
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    18,062 Posts
    I think making glass UI's good is difficult. There's a reason OSX only uses glass for one item pretty much.
    I tried to make some (mockups of) themes several times. It's really, really hard to get something nice.
    Only one I was able to tolerate besides Aero was Soft7, but some of his changes made me start liking it less and less.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,824 Posts
    I tried to make some (mockups of) themes several times. It's really, really hard to get something nice.
    Only one I was able to tolerate besides Aero was Soft7, but some of his changes made me start liking it less and less.
    I found the best way to make a theme is just start making stuff even if you hate it and revise it until you have a better idea of what'll work and can start to see the idea come to life in your head.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    linux distros have always been pretty gross looking. they still are pretty gross looking but at least they're trying now
    Didn't matter as much back then because Linux users had a brain and knew how to modify their UI. Now that the usability on Linux is on par with Windows though, the target demographic is different and they have to work a bit more on the presentation side of thing (Ubuntu is helping a lot with this with proper documentation, good forums, etc.) which is why so many improvements are recently happening.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)