1. Post #41
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,775 Posts
    Does anyone see anything missing? Apparently the start button shows up when you hover down in that corner. (Shitty for those with a second monitor on the left though) (This build was compiled Tuesday)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Late Late x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,354 Posts
    Where's the start button?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,247 Posts
    Where's the start button?
    In the corner, hidden?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    183 Posts
    Does anyone see anything missing? Apparently the start button shows up when you hover down in that corner. (Shitty for those with a second monitor on the left though) (This build was compiled Tuesday)

not using all the ram? :o
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    not using all the ram? :o
    And it's even 64-bit, WTF gives? :o
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #46
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,187 Posts
    Probably due to the integrated graphics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,139 Posts
    If the GPU is using System RAM as a dedicated VRAM rather than just sharing it, it may be deducted from the total system memory.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 2 (list)

8. Post #48
    December 2008
    1,072 Posts
    Guys I read somewhere that Win8 is coming out around August or so (the final, consumer version).

If I'm planning on getting my college laptop over the summer, would it be smarter to buy one with Win7, and then upgrade in October, or to just wait for Win8 to come out and get a laptop for it?

I.E., will laptops that come with Win8 build in be better optimized for Win8 somehow, or will just a straight up upgrade work as well?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Tanzania, United Republic of Show Events

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    I don't know about it releasing in August, that seems a bit early...

Also, I love that Windows 8 Beta expires in January of 2013, giving users a whole year to evaluate it to see if they want to buy it / allow developers to use it for that long. That is really nice of them.

I seriously am getting a hard-on waiting for Windows 8 Beta. So much more customization of the start menu in comparison to right now, even if it isnt fully unlocked to use pictures and stuff, I am sure someone will quickly come up with a way to patch it, just as someone designed Windows 7 Tweaker to be able to modify the login background of 7, and WindowsBootUpdater to modify the Windows 7 Boot splashscreen, windows 8 should not be that hard to modify for real, true, customization, too.

Personalization hacks or not, windows 8 beta looks a lot sexier to me. The removal of the Start Menu Button in favor of a hover-to-show scheme looks like it might be something nice, I will just have to test it out when we get there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

10. Post #50
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    Okay, integrated graphics need to be turned off in the BIOS of my friend's PC then, as he's confused about where his RAM went after he upgraded to 64-bit 7.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,775 Posts
    I don't know about it releasing in August, that seems a bit early...

Also, I love that Windows 8 Beta expires in January of 2013, giving users a whole year to evaluate it to see if they want to buy it / allow developers to use it for that long. That is really nice of them.

I seriously am getting a hard-on waiting for Windows 8 Beta. So much more customization of the start menu in comparison to right now, even if it isnt fully unlocked to use pictures and stuff, I am sure someone will quickly come up with a way to patch it, just as someone designed Windows 7 Tweaker to be able to modify the login background of 7, and WindowsBootUpdater to modify the Windows 7 Boot splashscreen, windows 8 should not be that hard to modify for real, true, customization, too.

Personalization hacks or not, windows 8 beta looks a lot sexier to me. The removal of the Start Menu Button in favor of a hover-to-show scheme looks like it might be something nice, I will just have to test it out when we get there.
    The logon screen and splash screen use full 24-bit color whereas the start screen's image is indexed.

http://winunleaked.tk/2011/11/how-to...ws-8-pre-beta/

I believe a modification could be made within the DirectUI files, adding another element that overlays the original background for an image, though it'd take me a while to test it and get right.

Edited:

Also: http://www.bing.com/?Win8Start=1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Late Late x 1 (list)

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    The logon screen and splash screen use full 24-bit color whereas the start screen's image is indexed.

http://winunleaked.tk/2011/11/how-to...ws-8-pre-beta/

I believe a modification could be made within the DirectUI files, adding another element that overlays the original background for an image, though it'd take me a while to test it and get right.

Edited:

Also: http://www.bing.com/?Win8Start=1

Interestingly enough I have already modified the background image for the Start Menu in the DP, and am in full acknowledgement that with indexed color, it would look rather goofy and blotchy, but it is still worth allowing people to make their own, and by own, I refer to the Swirls, and Gradiated fade-off blocks, not a whole imaged background that would distract the user. But again, I am sure most people will be fine with the 8 built-in patterned overlays and general color schemes, which I also hex modified to make vibrant colors in the DP.

And I have not attempted to modify the startscreen splash, which right now, since it is rather sexy, I have no reason to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,775 Posts
    Interestingly enough I have already modified the background image for the Start Menu in the DP, and am in full acknowledgement that with indexed color, it would look rather goofy and blotchy, but it is still worth allowing people to make their own, and by own, I refer to the Swirls, and Gradiated fade-off blocks, not a whole imaged background that would distract the user. But again, I am sure most people will be fine with the 8 built-in patterned overlays and general color schemes, which I also hex modified to make vibrant colors in the DP.

And I have not attempted to modify the startscreen splash, which right now, since it is rather sexy, I have no reason to.
    I was just saying it's different in later builds and those programs (last I saw) didn't align the image properly which is why I prefer DirectUI modification.

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    Has anyone heard anything about that tablet/ultrabook hybrid that was at CES running Windows 8? I'm planning on getting something of the like later this year in preparation for university.

15. Post #55
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,081 Posts
    Has anyone heard anything about that tablet/ultrabook hybrid that was at CES running Windows 8? I'm planning on getting something of the like later this year in preparation for university.
    My guess is in the future, all x86 tablets will be hybrids.

16. Post #56
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    351 Posts

uh where are my graphics settings

tried both stable and preview drivers for windows 8
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

17. Post #57
    January 2012
    412 Posts

uh where are my graphics settings

tried both stable and preview drivers for windows 8
    Check under Preferences or Presets. DUH.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

18. Post #58
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,775 Posts
    Check under Preferences or Presets. DUH.
    AMD Vision Engine Control Center and CCC are two different things.

Edited:

http://bbs.pcbeta.com/forum.php?mod=...=4#pid27058372
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    AMD Vision Engine Control Center and CCC are two different things.

Edited:

http://bbs.pcbeta.com/forum.php?mod=...=4#pid27058372
    This may seem crazy, but I am really really looking forward to seeing what kind of patterns for customization that they let you use in beta. All I have seen so far, is the following.

Pattern #1: Faded Gradients (Green Default Pattern)
    Pattern #2: Swirly Lines
    Pattern #3. Bubbles (From Panda's most recent link)
    Pattern #4 ~ #8: Unknown.

The tension is almost palpable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #60
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Is there a way I can have both metro and the start menu?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,775 Posts
    Is there a way I can have both metro and the start menu?
    Don't worry, you know even if they get rid of it, there's going to be a 3rd party application that mimics it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

22. Post #62
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    Don't worry, you know even if they get rid of it, there's going to be a 3rd party application that mimics it.
    We don't need any 3rd party app to mimic it, we just need an alternate way to launch metro/ Like a shortcut in the task tray or on the desktop, so we can keep our regular start menu.

23. Post #63
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,775 Posts
    I don't see the need in two start menus myself. The start screen can do everything the old one can. Hit winkey, type the name of the program you want to open, strike the return key. What I don't understand is why they felt the need to remove the start button all together despite the fact clicking in the corner still works. There's no indication that it still works or anything.

Also I like this color set:

The start button hovered.

Here's more shots if anyone's interested: http://winunleaked.tk/2012/02/window...te-build-8220/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    Here's more shots if anyone's interested:
    That 2nd screenshot in your post almost looks like a bad photoshop. Windows 8 may be the first version of Windows that I'll actually want to customize...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,775 Posts
    That 2nd screenshot in your post almost looks like a bad photoshop. Windows 8 may be the first version of Windows that I'll actually want to customize...
    I think Microsoft just should have built the tablet OS on top of ThinPC/Embedded 7 and the desktop side of Windows Client would still remain. Don't get me wrong I can use the start screen and have no problem with it being used as a fullscreen start menu, but the inconsistency of it all is really annoying. 2 platforms, one OS.

I'd imaging Windows Server would still have the legacy start menu, and if it does, it would be interesting to see if more people used Server 2012 instead of Windows Client for their PCs. Those of course who get their OS by other means than buying a new computer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

26. Post #66

July 2010
    2,032 Posts
    Looks like they slapped a metro UI on top of the already well established UI. Its ugly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

27. Post #67
    Glorious GNU/Linux Master Race
    May 2010
    5,001 Posts
    Looks like they slapped a metro UI on top of the already well established UI. Its ugly.
    And here we go again...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 4Useful Useful x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    I wish they'd go and get rid of aero completely now. It's becoming way too inconsistent, and it's clear that they're just trying to build on it. They need to go 100% metro.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

29. Post #69
    May 2008
    898 Posts
    I wish they'd go and get rid of aero completely now. It's becoming way too inconsistent, and it's clear that they're just trying to build on it. They need to go 100% metro.
    Thing is, current applications aren't particularly suited to the metro design. Whereas Aero was just a graphical change from luna, Metro is a huge design change and couldn't be achieved the same way Aero was upgraded.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,775 Posts
    Thing is, current applications aren't particularly suited to the metro design. Whereas Aero was just a graphical change from luna, Metro is a huge design change and couldn't be achieved the same way Aero was upgraded.
    Aero isn't just the theme though, it's the whole design.

31. Post #71
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    App shortcuts still don't appear to have proper tile icon support. The icons for the app are still small and look horribly out of place.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,775 Posts
    App shortcuts still don't appear to have proper tile icon support. The icons for the app are still small and look horribly out of place.
    I think it's like that specifically to differentiate them from app tiles, though I agree it does look horrid.

33. Post #73
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,855 Posts
    May have already been posted, but: http://www.extremetech.com/computing...e-start-button

I, for one, am kind of pissed off. Not because of the Metro tile screen, because I like that, but because you get to it by flipping your mouse at it instead of clicking. That is annoying as hell and I can't imagine how many times I'll accidentally open it and then get this massive fullscreen start menu full of things I don't want to do at that moment.

34. Post #74
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,199 Posts
    I don't like that metro start button
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #75
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,775 Posts
    May have already been posted, but: http://www.extremetech.com/computing...e-start-button

I, for one, am kind of pissed off. Not because of the Metro tile screen, because I like that, but because you get to it by flipping your mouse at it instead of clicking. That is annoying as hell and I can't imagine how many times I'll accidentally open it and then get this massive fullscreen start menu full of things I don't want to do at that moment.
    You mean the thing when the thumbnail pops out when you hit the left of the screen?

36. Post #76
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    They've got a good start with the "Aero Basic" theme.

If they did a little polishing on that (Including metro back/forward buttons, etc) I think it would look pretty good.

But it's clear based on what they've done so far that that isn't going to happen. I don't get the UI team at Microsoft. I get that a product as massive as Windows takes a lot of work to be consistent, but at the same time I don't see what would be hard about re-skinning aero to metro.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

37. Post #77
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,775 Posts
    Reminds me of how in Windows 7 they changed 3 icons to look nicer and non-aero but that was it. I feel like the MS design team is really lazy. When I first saw metro my first though is they gave up on design and resorted to the most basic form of graphic being a solid color square.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

38. Post #78
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    Metro themes are ugly. I haven't seen such a flat, boring theme since Windows 3.1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 14Agree Agree x 9 (list)

39. Post #79
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,052 Posts
    I have not paid attention to any of this for the past few months. Someone fill me on on the dev release that came out at the build conference.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

40. Post #80
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    728 Posts
    Metro themes are ugly. I haven't seen such a flat, boring theme since Windows 3.1
    Indeed, I'm all for most of the new features of Windows 8 but metro and the start screen aren't one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)