1. Post #201
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    I didn't miss a single thing, I just think it was exactly that, a demonstration showcasing extra features, but maybe they're really dumb enough to include it in the stock interface, given how we're talking about MS here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events

2. Post #202
    January 2010
    232 Posts
    I would like to try windows 8 but is it worth to dual-boot my computer with windows 7 and windows 8?
    Don't have any other computer that is good enough then my main desktop.
    Wait for the Consumer Preview.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #203
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,053 Posts
    i got access to msdnaa (its called dreamspark now for whatever reason)
    im redownloading the windows 8 dev preview and going to mess around with it.

Surprisingly they also has vista and xp there for you to grab licences to. The xp one was considered a dev tool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #204
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,162 Posts
    I would like to try windows 8 but is it worth to dual-boot my computer with windows 7 and windows 8?
    Don't have any other computer that is good enough then my main desktop.
    I wouldn't, unless you don't game much or use that many demanding apps or things in which failure could be a problem, I wouldn't install Windows 8 over 7, but dual booting is such a pain.

Do you have a spare HDD?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #205
    August 2011
    771 Posts
    I've ran windows 8 dev preview for 6 months as my primary OS, never had any compatibility problems or games that couldn't run..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 6Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #206
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,807 Posts
    I wouldn't, unless you don't game much or use that many demanding apps or things in which failure could be a problem, I wouldn't install Windows 8 over 7, but dual booting is such a pain.

Do you have a spare HDD?
    I have 4 hdds. 2 300gb and 2 500gb
    But I agree that dual boot is a pain so I just use windows 7 and give 8 a try another time.
    Can try to get it to run on one of my shit old computers I got for free but it could not even run Ubuntu 10.10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

7. Post #207
    September 2011
    957 Posts
    I've ran windows 8 dev preview for 6 months as my primary OS, never had any compatibility problems or games that couldn't run..
    Rare apps that would give me problems would run fine in Windows 7 compatibility mode.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

8. Post #208
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,889 Posts
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/14/m...indows-8-apps/

Notice how the logo on the button is the "normal" one, and not the shitfest on the last page.
    Oh gods, the person that did his makeup should be fired. Those bright cheeks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

9. Post #209
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,656 Posts
    Oh gods, the person that did his makeup should be fired. Those bright cheeks
    That and the Greenscreen seams over a blue background
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

10. Post #210
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,889 Posts
    That and the Greenscreen seams over a blue background
    Looks like direct lightning with no matte makeup base if you ask me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events

11. Post #211
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,802 Posts
    I didn't miss a single thing, I just think it was exactly that, a demonstration showcasing extra features, but maybe they're really dumb enough to include it in the stock interface, given how we're talking about MS here.
    Jimmy asked why they added the scrollbars to magifier. You replied:

How do you pinch to zoom on your keyboard? I tried and it doesn't work.
    But the scrollbars are only there for touch enabled devices. Otherwise it's Win+(Plus) and Win+(Minus) like it is now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

12. Post #212
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    But the scrollbars are only there for touch enabled devices. Otherwise it's Win+(Plus) and Win+(Minus) like it is now.
    What I'm saying is that features like this are sometimes purposely turned on just for demos. But I'm at work and I can't really get into it much more than that.

13. Post #213
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,802 Posts
    What I'm saying is that features like this are sometimes purposely turned on just for demos. But I'm at work and I can't really get into it much more than that.
    What do you mean turn it on just for the demos? They can't demonstrate how it works if they don't run the program they're demonstrating.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #214
    April 2011
    9,162 Posts
    Internet Explorer Performance Lab: reliably measuring browser performance

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2...rformance.aspx
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

15. Post #215
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    What do you mean turn it on just for the demos? They can't demonstrate how it works if they don't run the program they're demonstrating.
    Which is related to the fact that maybe the scroll bars won't be there in other situations how? I can easily see this as a feature that will be turned on only because it's the magnifier, which people with disabilities are going to use. And even then, it's probably an option that can be disabled. Just because something appears in a demo doesn't mean it's necessarily the stock option set, something the two chucklefucks who rated zing don't seem to grasp. Even then, it makes perfect sense given the target audience of the application. We had a near-blind person at work and it was very hard for him to tell if he was actually touching the screen at the right place to zoom and move around. A fat gray scrollbar is easy to spot and easy to navigate with.

And if they don't make it an option by release (if it isn't one already), I'd be very surprised.

16. Post #216
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,802 Posts
    Which is related to the fact that maybe the scroll bars won't be there in other situations how? I can easily see this as a feature that will be turned on only because it's the magnifier, which people with disabilities are going to use. And even then, it's probably an option that can be disabled. Just because something appears in a demo doesn't mean it's necessarily the stock option set, something the two chucklefucks who rated zing don't seem to grasp. And even if it were in the stock option set, it'd make perfect sense given the target audience of the application. We had a near-blind person at work and due to his vision it was very hard to tell if he was actually touching the screen at the right place to zoom and move around. A fat gray scrollbar, on the other hand, is easy to spot, easy to navigate with, and if they don't make it an option by release if it isn't one already, I'd be very surprised.
    They said in the video it's the UI of magnifier for touch screens. They even showed that it only works with the scrollbar. Which is all we were talking about until you attempted to make a zinger about pinching and zooming on a keyboard. Completely irrelevant to anything anyone was talking about. Which is why I said that you a P320 missed the point. No one was talking about keyboards, only the Magnifier's UI for touch screen devices.

And if they don't make it an option by release (if it isn't one already), I'd be very surprised.
    How else are you going to be able to use it. How are you suppose to use it if it was disabled?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Late Late x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #217
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    They said in the video it's the UI of magnifier for touch screens. They even showed that it only works with the scrollbar. Which is all we were talking about until you attempted to make a zinger about pinching and zooming on a keyboard. Completely irrelevant to anything anyone was talking about. Which is why I said that you a P320 missed the point. No one was talking about keyboards, only the Magnifier's UI for touch screen devices.
    If you're still stuck on that then this is a lost case so just quit talking about it.
    How else are you going to be able to use it. How are you suppose to use it if it was disabled?
    Honestly? Jesus...

EDIT: The typical way of using something disabled is to enable it, to answer your question.
    EDIT2: I understand a lot of you haven't done software development but taking demos for granted is just silly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #218
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,802 Posts
    If you're still stuck on that then this is a lost case so just quit talking about it.

Honestly? Jesus...
    Honestly what? Tell me how you'd use it if was disabled.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Late Late x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #219
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    Honestly what? Tell me how you'd use it if was disabled.
    I wouldn't, this is a really stupid rhetorical question.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

20. Post #220
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,802 Posts
    EDIT: The typical way of using something disabled is to enable it, to answer your question.
    EDIT2: I understand a lot of you haven't done software development but taking demos for granted is just silly.
    How would it be useful if it was disabled? The magnifier is for the visually impaired. You expect the visual impaired to start the magnifier and there's no clue as to how to use it?

How am I taking the demo for granted. It's a real demonstration of the UI.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #221
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    How would it be useful if it was disabled? The magnifier is for the visually impaired. You expect the visual impaired to start the magnifier and there's no clue as to how to use it?
    No, not really. This is a waste of both of our times, I'd rather chat with you later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #222
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,802 Posts
    No, not really. This is a waste of both of our times, I'd rather chat with you later.
    Contact me on steam later, there's obviously some miscommunication some where.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #223
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    Contact me on steam later, there's obviously some miscommunication some where.
    In a minute, <3 broseph.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3 (list)

24. Post #224
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,802 Posts
    Found a shortcut to get to the power options more quickly.

Win+I. It opens the sidebar thing on the right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Late Late x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #225
    September 2011
    957 Posts
    Found a shortcut to get to the power options more quickly.

Win+I. It opens the sidebar thing on the right.
    In the beta? isn't working for me in DP.

26. Post #226
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,802 Posts
    In the beta? isn't working for me in DP.
    On the DP.

27. Post #227
    September 2011
    957 Posts
    Gah... I hate my fucked-up installation. >_<
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #228
    Windows 8 looks pretty.

Also, hoping they update the theming feature. Like a marketplace made for themes, and you can try it out straight away.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Agree Agree x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

29. Post #229
    April 2011
    9,162 Posts
    I hope they get rid of Aero for a Metro like desktop scheme, those mock ups look so good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #230
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,661 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 5Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

31. Post #231
    April 2008
    716 Posts
    R.I.P. Windows logo. We will miss you! :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

32. Post #232
    Ex-Least Respected Usergroup
    June 2007
    7,113 Posts
    Should've just used the windows logo which I see when I boot up my Lumia 800. It's in keeping with metro and immediately recognisable.

This one

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

33. Post #233
    September 2011
    957 Posts

I welcome the new logo. It fits the new Metro design well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 16Agree Agree x 5 (list)

34. Post #234
    August 2009
    236 Posts

It's ugly as shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 25Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

35. Post #235
    Random guy
    March 2009
    1,951 Posts

I want those 4 colours back
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

36. Post #236
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,802 Posts

The current metro winflag looks and fits better than that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

37. Post #237
    Random guy
    March 2009
    1,951 Posts
    The current metro winflag looks and fits better than that.
    Can we see it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

38. Post #238
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,802 Posts
    Can we see it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 25Late Late x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #239
    April 2008
    716 Posts
    I wonder if Microsoft really listen to their customers. They seem to do what they want and then try to convince you it's right. The new logo being an example, metro start screen another one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

40. Post #240
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    Its a bit too saturated, darken it down and its perfect.

Edited:

I wonder if Microsoft really listen to their customers. They seem to do what they want and then try to convince you it's right. The new logo being an example, metro start screen another one.
    If windows 8 was just windows 7 with a more shiny aero, fast as shit boot times, windows store and the other minor enhancements, it would be the perfect upgrade. All of these UI tweaks are mounting up and they are putting me off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)