1. Post #681
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    Never had that happen.
    You have never had your game stay completely black with juddering audio for about 10 seconds until windows regains its composure and calms down?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #682
    September 2011
    47 Posts
    Well I have it on my laptop and PC, and it's just a hell to use. I'm lost with apps, I actually dont know how to close them, god damned Metro...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 France Show Events

3. Post #683
    September 2011
    957 Posts
    FFFUUUUUCK
    My sound card drivers don't support Win8 :((
    Thank fuck for compatability modes.
    SlimDrivers Free can usually find what you need. Run it under Windows 7 compatibility, and you should be fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

4. Post #684
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,117 Posts
    Install on a VM to test, my spare test system, or not at all?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

5. Post #685
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,834 Posts
    You know, I'm okay with everything except the details pane placement in Explorer
    I can't think of a single reason why does it need to be on the side, being all huge and hideous and not on the bottom of the window like in two previous Windows versions
    I just can't deal with it help
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

6. Post #686
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    Is Media Center included? That's going to determine whether or not it's going on my desktop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

7. Post #687
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,804 Posts
    You have never had your game stay completely black with juddering audio for about 10 seconds until windows regains its composure and calms down?
    In source games, but that's not Windows at fault. Any other game on any other engine I've ever played can alt-tab properly.

Edited:

Is Media Center included? That's going to determine whether or not it's going on my desktop.
    Yeah. It's the same as the one in 7.

8. Post #688
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,117 Posts
    Anyone know if there were any changes made to RDP?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #689
    February 2012
    339 Posts
    This is awesome, not noticed much bugs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #690
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,677 Posts
    I've spent more time on Metro apps than Desktop apps since I've installed the Customer Preview on my tablet, it is pretty awesome, I do have some minor nags about it though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #691
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    I've spent more time on Metro apps than Desktop apps since I've installed the Customer Preview on my tablet, it is pretty awesome, I do have some minor nags about it though
    What's nagging you? I'm interested to know what to be on the lookout for.

Bugs are always fun...I can remember in Windows 7 build 6801 that annoying bug where you had to click the start button a good 4-5 times before it opened. That was awful.

12. Post #692
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,603 Posts
    I finished downloading it, but I booted with the DVD and it gets stuck in the inistial fish screen :( What is going on?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Panama Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #693
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,677 Posts

Bugs are always fun...I can remember in Windows 7 build 6801 that annoying bug where you had to click the start button a good 4-5 times before it opened. That was awful.
    Touch mode is now somewhat delayed/broken in some applications, Osu no longer works correctly thanks to that (Shit sucks specially since Osu! was perfect on it) ,That Autodesk drawing app barely works too because of this, can't review stock apps without authoring them again in the store , Sidebar thereshold seems even smaller than it was on developer preview, App descriptions are in German, Can't use Xbox apps, E-mail app isn't working with Gmail, Can't remove Hotmail from E-mail app, Messaging app shows MSN contacts alphabetically regardless if they are offline or online, I have to go to the sidebar to open settings rather than using an icon (Took me a while to figure it out), But they have fixed a bunch of nags I had in the Developer Preview
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

14. Post #694
    Random guy
    March 2009
    1,951 Posts
    ok now... where's the shutdown button...?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #695
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,677 Posts
    ok now... where's the shutdown button...?
    Settings sidebar, or just press the physical power button

16. Post #696
    Random guy
    March 2009
    1,951 Posts
    Oh nvm, found it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events

17. Post #697
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,044 Posts
    I still can't find a single positive thing about the new start.

Am I the only one who feels like this?
    Wheres the advantage? Argh!

Okay, I must admit that it works a bit better with ctrl+esc (thanks Panda!) and would probably work even better with the windows-key. It's just the search and full-screen apps that bother me. I guess I'll try to remove those apps and have fun with shortcuts to normal programs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #698
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,677 Posts

Metro Apps, Touch friendly, More space in the superbar, a whole new application platform, you can launch aplications even faster than with the Windows 7 start menu thanks to cached searching, etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #699
    Random guy
    March 2009
    1,951 Posts
    Also, I'd like to install this on my TOSHIBA laptop, if anyone else has one, they would know that toshibas have key combos like Fn F5 for their wifi, brightness, ect. Will this break once I install w8?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #700
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,677 Posts
    Also, I'd like to install this on my TOSHIBA laptop, if anyone else has one, they would know that toshibas have key combos like Fn F5 for their wifi, brightness, ect. Will this break once I install w8?
    It shouldn't, When my tablet was still a young beautiful laptop lady I could still use the Fn keys perfectly

21. Post #701
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,804 Posts

Remember that bug where if you kept making the caption buttons bigger in the control panel it'd BSOD? That was fun.

22. Post #702
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    465 Posts
    Posting this from Windows 8!

I tried installing the latest Catalyst drivers (12.1) and at first it would not install display drivers at all, when I put it into Win7 compatibility mode it would find the graphics card but it gets stuck loading forever halfway through installing AMD Catalyst Install Manager. Any idea how to fix it? Or do I have to run the default drivers for now? The card is a XFX HD4770 512MB.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

23. Post #703
    Random guy
    March 2009
    1,951 Posts
    It shouldn't, When my tablet was still a young beautiful laptop lady I could still use the Fn keys perfectly
    TOSHIBAS also have a gui interface... only a fellow Toshiba owner would understand
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events

24. Post #704
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,044 Posts
    Posting this from Windows 8!

I tried installing the latest Catalyst drivers (12.1) and at first it would not install display drivers at all, when I put it into Win7 compatibility mode it would find the graphics card but it gets stuck loading forever halfway through installing AMD Catalyst Install Manager. Any idea how to fix it? Or do I have to run the default drivers for now? The card is a XFX HD4770 512MB.
    I use this driver: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/hotfix/w...sumer_preview_[rc10].exe

First driver that enabled me to use CCC. Even Eyefinity works for me now, which didn't in Windows 7.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Denmark Show Events

25. Post #705
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,804 Posts

Okay, I must admit that it works a bit better with ctrl+esc (thanks Panda!) and would probably work even better with the windows-key. It's just the search and full-screen apps that bother me. I guess I'll try to remove those apps and have fun with shortcuts to normal programs.
    If you use it strictly as a start menu, no apps, then it displays more by default than the 3 per type in 7's start menu. Or whatever it was if only one type were shown.

If you don't want to hassle all that much with searching three separate types you can shortcut it.

Search Apps: Win+Q (This also shows the start menu as it would in 7. ie shows folders of all programs in the start menu's folder)

Search Settings: Win+W

Search Files: Win+F (Still has MRU and autofill (tab))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #706
    I'm a Wizard
    March 2006
    2,700 Posts
    I use this driver: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/hotfix/w...sumer_preview_[rc10].exe

First driver that enabled me to use CCC. Even Eyefinity works for me now, which didn't in Windows 7.
    Can you fix your link please? I have been wanting to use CCC for such a long time in Windows 8.... Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

27. Post #707
    September 2011
    957 Posts
    Just finished the upgrade from Windows 7 on my laptop, and so far, so good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #708
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    I'm glad I only installed it onto a VM.
    It feels really incomplete, half-baked if you will.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #709
    November 2009
    9,299 Posts
    Quite. I like what they're trying, don't like that they've essentially removed functionality that everyone loved in the Dev Preview. I think I'll figure out how to downgrade back to Win7.

For instance, the default web browser is now the Desktop version of IE. Not the Metro version. The People App no longer has Twitter and Facebook functionality. The Video app doesn't allow you to play your own video through it. The messenger app is decent at best, but I haven't found how to remove conversations. The store is horribly organized. Scrolling is weird. Scrolling down a list in a metro app also scrolls you sideways along the pane (weather). Desktop services are quit upon leaving the Desktop (works terribly with Bootcamp). Despite claiming to present more information, the Start Screen does not entirely fill the place of the Start Menu, and does not display most applications. Start Screen Search cannot find .exe, .jar, or similar files. Downloads in the Desktop are paused upon exiting the desktop or switching apps.

Things I do like: The music app is laid out really well. I love the display style. It's what I imagine of Media Center.

It comes with MSE.

That's about it, really.

30. Post #710
    Interesting that you say that. Friend.
    August 2007
    3,412 Posts
    I am enjoying the new start menu and have had zero legitimate issues against it so far. The software can be a little buggy every now and then, but I'm sure microsoft will iron all that out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #711
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,804 Posts
    Quite. I like what they're trying, don't like that they've essentially removed functionality that everyone loved in the Dev Preview. I think I'll figure out how to downgrade back to Win7.
    What functionality have they removed?

32. Post #712
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    Good god, the lag after you hit the "show desktop" area is absolutely awful. I'm sticking to Win+D.

Also for everyone that's without a touch screen, Win+C brings up the charms bar. Very useful.

33. Post #713
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,044 Posts
    Can you fix your link please? I have been wanting to use CCC for such a long time in Windows 8.... Thanks!
    www.kortlink.dk/ati/amrq

You could just have copy pasted the 2 parts together :-)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #714
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    351 Posts
    Going to try this when I get home, I actually kinda love the slickness of running a game in -noborder when using the new start menu. Sorta would like to be able to get more integration with the Metro interface with games if possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

35. Post #715
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    Okay, this is really fucked up. I can't even get my mouse near the top right, bottom left, or bottom right of the screen without explorer locking up. It froze to the point where I had to forcefully restart my computer with the power button last time. That's bad.

Seems to have fixed itself after the restart.

36. Post #716
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,263 Posts
    It makes me really sad that the xbox/zune things are region locked, can't use them in Sweden.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Show Events

37. Post #717
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    Music app = sex. Too bad it's not displaying my albums in the background.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #718
    April 2010
    789 Posts

At a irritatingly large 12"*8"*1.5" with only four or so hours of battery life and awful cooling, it's not terribly useful with a tablet. Evaluating Windows 8? Good enough, since it has a touchscreen and a traditional KB/M.

39. Post #719
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,698 Posts
    Music app = sex. Too bad it's not displaying my albums in the background.

Wow, I get why people say that's Zune like. That isn't Zune like, that's like they copy pasted Zune.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #720
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    Wow, I get why people say that's Zune like. That isn't Zune like, that's like they copy pasted Zune.
    Reminds me of Media Center's music player.

Also:

No, no they can't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 17 (list)