1. Post #1001
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,825 Posts
    Would it be possible to have, for instance, the iTunes tile display the current song?
    Only if iTunes makes an app. Desktop programs only show the name and icon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

2. Post #1002
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,583 Posts
    Aww, that's lame.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Russian Federation Show Events

3. Post #1003
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    4,819 Posts
    Is there any other way to access the PC settings app besides changing your account picture from the start screen? I found the app in "Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel" but when I pin to start it doesn't do anything when I launch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

4. Post #1004
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,886 Posts
    I saw metro working on ARM devices yet they can't give us low resolution metro support.
    I don't think Microsoft minds netbooks that more - the fact that there's supposedly no "Starter edition" supports that somewhat. Netbooks are probably going to be a smaller market now, and they'll probably slowly get switched out with cheap ultrabooks. And I think they figured that the metro start menu wouldn't be much use at that resolution.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

5. Post #1005

March 2012
    20 Posts
    I don't think Microsoft minds netbooks that more - the fact that there's supposedly no "Starter edition" supports that somewhat. Netbooks are probably going to be a smaller market now, and they'll probably slowly get switched out with cheap ultrabooks. And I think they figured that the metro start menu wouldn't be much use at that resolution.
    Its actually very useful, but I can't use it. I can have apps display weather etc which is great for a netbook.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

6. Post #1006
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,825 Posts
    Is there any other way to access the PC settings app besides changing your account picture from the start screen? I found the app in "Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel" but when I pin to start it doesn't do anything when I launch.
    Search Settings I guess. I don't know of any direct way.

Actually it only shows up the various options rather than the app itself so nevermind.

7. Post #1007
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    Only if iTunes makes an app. Desktop programs only show the name and icon.
    Even if Apple do make a metro app it will still look like OSX because they are fucking assholes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #1008

March 2012
    20 Posts
    Why are they branding the metro UI as more productive, it takes more time to search for a program then it does in Windows 7.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #1009
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,825 Posts
    Why are they branding the metro UI as more productive, it takes more time to search for a program then it does in Windows 7.
    How?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #1010
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    So does anyone know why most themes of bluepoison are grayed out?
    64-bit thing, I think, I can't find any features to enable as well.

Anyway, the old LH magic's back. I feel so free~

(also works with Apple laptop touchpads out of the box, which is p. cool.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Thailand Show Events

11. Post #1011

March 2012
    20 Posts
    Windows 8
    You have to open metro, move mouse all the way to the side then wait for the flaky side bar to fade in, move up and click on the flashlight.
    Windows 7
    You have to slam mouse into corner then start typing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

12. Post #1012
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,825 Posts
    Windows 8
    You have to open metro, move mouse all the way to the side then wait for the flaky side bar to fade in, move up and click on the flashlight.
    Windows 7
    You have to slam mouse into corner then start typing.
    Windows Vista
    Strike the Windows key, start typing

Windows 7
    Press the Windows key, start typing

Windows 8
    Hit the Windows key, start typing

Edited:

That's a magnifying glass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree x 12Dumb x 2Funny x 1Zing x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #1013
    April 2009
    14,583 Posts
    64-bit thing, I think, I can't find any features to enable as well.

Anyway, the old LH magic's back. I feel so free~

(also works with Apple laptop touchpads out of the box, which is p. cool.)
    LH?

14. Post #1014
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    4,819 Posts
    Search Settings I guess. I don't know of any direct way.

Actually it only shows up the various options rather than the app itself so nevermind.
    I found this, I guess it just doesn't work yet.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

15. Post #1015
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,825 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Informative x 4Useful x 1Late x 1Agree x 1Optimistic x 1Zing x 1Artistic x 1Funny x 1Disagree x 1Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #1016
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    I am agreeing with PandaX on this, if you disagree, you are blatantly being ignorant.

If you press the windows key, and start typing on screen at the start menu, (no mouse interaction at all), it will automatically throw up a search panel. If you absolutely refuse to try it yourself, don't go around disagreeing with a cold hard fact of how the operating system works.

Only if you are using a tablet (or device with no keyboard), will searching be any different.

Edit:
    Some people simply cannot be helped. If ignorance is bliss, then gasatakav cornered the market.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

17. Post #1017
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,128 Posts
    After a day of testing windows 8, my laptop won't boot up anymore. :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #1018
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    Just installed it on a tablet pc (in the old stylus sense) with a multi-touch screen that seems to have been tossed in for a gimmick. Works just as advertised, although it's a bit bulky - best to prop it up on a cushion and use it lying down - and IE9's onscreen keyboard logic seems to hate the post editor.

Thank god that expensive boondoggle finally has a purpose now. And Microsoft's finally got some flair as well. The world is better when it's slightly more stylish.

Oh god rendering issues
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Thailand Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #1019
    November 2011
    482 Posts
    I might triple-boot Windows 7, Windows 8 Consumer Preview and Ubuntu or Arch for the hell of it. I need a bigger flash drive though, I can't be bothered with DVDs, they're slow
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

20. Post #1020
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,825 Posts
    I might triple-boot Windows 7, Windows 8 Consumer Preview and Ubuntu or Arch for the hell of it. I need a bigger flash drive though, I can't be bothered with DVDs, they're slow
    Toss in OSx86 while you're at it

Edited:

I found this, I guess it just doesn't work yet.

Found it, it's in the settings bar.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #1021
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,263 Posts
    Windows 8
    Hit the Windows key, start typing.
    Wait, why doesn't this work for me?
    Nothing happens when I type anything.
    Nor does searching while having "All Apps" up, nothing happens when I press enter.
    Is my installation broken or am I doing it wrong?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Show Events

22. Post #1022
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,825 Posts
    Wait, why doesn't this work for me?
    Nothing happens when I type anything.
    Nor does searching while having "All Apps" up, nothing happens when I press enter.
    Is my installation broken or am I doing it wrong?

From the looks of it your search is broken. It should look like

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

23. Post #1023
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,263 Posts
    Yeah, I didn't have Apps/Settings/Files in it but I had the rest, weird.
    I guess this is what happens when you upgrade to a "incomplete" preview from a win7 installation
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Show Events

24. Post #1024
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,825 Posts
    Yeah, I didn't have Apps/Settings/Files in it but I had the rest, weird.
    I guess this is what happens when you upgrade to a "incomplete" preview from a win7 installation
    Upgrading from 7 isn't recommended and just causes problems. So that's probably why it's messed up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

25. Post #1025
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,068 Posts
    I just got invited into the windows feedback program

Got it on my 7 install and now I need to get it on my 8 install

Edited:

im going to get microsoft office 2010 after 4 months (because 2007 pisses me off so god damn much)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

26. Post #1026
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,907 Posts
    3 questions:

Where is my goddamn minesweeper? :c

Can I get all those developer preview apps on consumer preview? I couldn't install developer preview but I could install consumer preview for some reason

And can I make the icons in the tiles from shortcuts bigger? It looks very dull like this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #1027
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,068 Posts
    WHAT THEY REMOVED MINESWEEPER?!

WORST OS EVER!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #1028
    November 2011
    482 Posts
    Just bought a new 16GB Kingston flash drive from Amazon.co.uk! Should come some-time next week. Then I'll be able to play with Hexxeh's Chromium builds as well! (I only have a 2GB USB).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

29. Post #1029
    WHAT THEY REMOVED MINESWEEPER?!

WORST OS EVER!
    I'm actually amazed at how they didn't include anything to try out the music or video apps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

30. Post #1030
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    The last time MS tried* to overhaul the Windows UX significantly. But now's not a bad time either - they've got Metro, and they can run with it as much as they like for all I care.

*if the flash demos mean anything, of course

31. Post #1031
    Guys
    I just realized what this OS is absolutely perfect for
    these things

Use laptop normally, use full-on windows OS
    Turn it into a tablet, enable metro, have easy to use touch-friendly enviroment
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

32. Post #1032
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    Guys
    I just realized what this OS is absolutely perfect for
    these things

Use laptop normally, use full-on windows OS
    Turn it into a tablet, enable metro, have easy to use touch-friendly enviroment
    Yeah, have one of those (an EliteBook 2760p). The experience is fine (it holds up rather well on the toilet, the bulk isn't *too* bad), but right now it doesn't do much apart from gimmickry - there just isn't any good reason to stay in Metro for long.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Thailand Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #1033
    January 2008
    1,258 Posts
    has anybody got AMD gpu drivers to work properly at all?

edit

alright I've had enough of this shit, nothing fucking works. i'm rolling back to windows 7

34. Post #1034
    April 2009
    14,583 Posts
    The last time MS tried* to overhaul the Windows UX significantly. But now's not a bad time either - they've got Metro, and they can run with it as much as they like for all I care.

tell me more

35. Post #1035
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    Just booted a grody old W7 installation over - IE10 doesn't seem to be recognized as a Metro app, and the other Metro apps seem to freeze on the splash screen. Joy of all joys.

36. Post #1036
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,825 Posts

LH still had the traditional desktop with consistency (to a certain degree) from which good idea came. This is in a different direction.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #1037
    I Love Gaylo 4
    April 2006
    10,365 Posts

Got my first Blue Screen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

38. Post #1038
    April 2009
    14,583 Posts
    I still have no idea what you're talking about. Longhorn?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #1039
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    LH still had the traditional desktop with consistency (to a certain degree) from which good idea came. This is in a different direction.
    That's true, although if my memory's anything to go by they looked like they were going to shove (if ever) just as much innovation into the Explorer and the sidebar - none of it remotely close to being made real, though, if the publicly available builds mean anything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Thailand Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #1040
    April 2009
    14,583 Posts

Got my first Blue Screen.
    :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)