1. Post #1521
    Dennab
    August 2011
    2,159 Posts
    Allright. Let's be completely honest about this.

You want to hear my personal opinion about Windows 8? There you go.

When i was using Ubuntu instead of Windows 7, I have slowly started to miss the games, that I have actually bought and were originally intended to be only on Windows. I didn't bother using Wine or VMWare, because opening up the wrong .exe file will screw up my Linux absolutely. I've tried to hush my game hunger with Cube 2: Sauerbraten, Red Eclipse, Minecraft, Epic Inventor and Quake 3 Arena, but it wasn't enough. Installing Windows 7 again could not be a problem for me, but I was slowly starting to dislike Microsoft cause of It's monopoly around the world.

When I was scrolling up the internet for some free games, I saw someone with a signature saying "Windows Developer Preview". I proceed to think like "what the hell is this". Then i looked at it, and saw something, that was pretty promising and good in my thoughts. I have looked up it's Informations and general discussion stuff, and i was like "OK, fine, let's check this thing out. Maybe finally I'm gonna have a good quality operating system. I have downloaded the 64-bit Developer Version, burned it on a DVD, ran it off, and i was like "Hmmm...expiration date, May 2012. Well, whatever. I won't be using this OS for that long." Then i have installed it and i have enabled dual-booting.

English, German (Euro), German (Germany), Agree, New Partition, Format, Install, Restart, Boot, Wait, Configure. My first impressions were unforgettable with this one. The whole Metro UI looks pretty neat and minimalist. Synced it up with my Windows Live account, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. Everything was perfect. Then i took a look at these apps. Their Preview looked pretty awesome. When i have enabled the standard desktop mode, there was literally no difference between the 7 and 8. Just absolute tradition and modernity. Tee hee. Internet Explorer 9 is as fast as firefox (I don't want to say that it is IN FACT faster, because it will spark a little shitstorm), installing the latest Avast! on it was pretty easy too, and...THE BLOODIEST F**K IN THE WORLD?!

How the hell my goddamn fresh and updated copy of the DevPrev is NOT ABLE to detect my god damn CD DRIVE at all?! Well, let's look it up on the forums. Click, Write, Search, Click, Click, Follow Instructions, for cock's sake, it didn't work. Whatever, maybe installing additional drivers would help. Unofficial drivers for Optiarc AD-7241S for Windows DevPrev. Didn't work. Well, whatever, i still have the Internet and my Ubuntu. So, whatever. Steam, Pidgin, Origin, Quassel, DVDVideoSoft, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Paint.NET, Blender, Thunderbird, LibreOffice...OK. Now the Nvidia drivers...285.62...Loaded it up, check, check, check, Install. Five minutes later...FAIL! What kind of a god damn unstable operating system is this, when i can't even install the GPU drivers without MAJOR tweaks?! These tweaks got it working, then, DirectX SDK. "DirectX 11 has been installed". Good. Origin, Battlefield 3 - PLAY. Everything was even smoothier than in the Windows 7. Generall happiness caused by having your stuff finally properly configured + extreme graphical orgies with Frostbite 2 = WIN. A quick round of multiplayer was even more awesome. OK, Steam, your turn. Call of Duty: Black Ops. Zombie mode, 52 waves survived with friends. Generall awesomeness.

The first impression was absolutely, extremely, deliberately AWFUL, but after getting slowly used to your new OS, it is all OK. But it is a big shame that my DVD still does not work on Windows 8.

I, and my illiterate and illegitimate shitpost are awaiting your criticisms.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Dumb Dumb x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #1522
    A huge wall of text appeared
    Install Windows Consumer Preview
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 11Agree Agree x 5 (list)

3. Post #1523
    Dennab
    August 2011
    2,159 Posts
    Install Windows Consumer Preview
    I think i SHOULD. I have never tried that one out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

4. Post #1524
    drunk
    August 2007
    29,054 Posts
    its not even out yet and you complain about drivers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 3 (list)

5. Post #1525
    May 2007
    858 Posts
    Windows 3.11 - Good.

Windows 95 - Shit.

Windows 98 - Good.

Windows Me - Shit.

Windows XP - Good.

Windows Vista - Shit.

Windows 7 - Good.

Windows 8 -
    what? 98/ME/vista were shit, 95/2000/XP/7 was great

Edited:

Is there nothing really new in GPO manager or am I missing it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #1526
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,365 Posts
    Wall of stuff
    So you're saying Windows 8 will be shit because you're encountering bugs and driver problems? That's hardly anything. I agree on one thing, though, IE10 is faster than Firefox. And Chrome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

7. Post #1527
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,081 Posts
    MS STILL is silent on the complaints? Jesus
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #1528
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,656 Posts
    Of course it was.

What you have just said is like saying "My OS, Windows Vista is slowing down my computer and the programs i use, manages itself very badly, does endless tasks on my HDD, is wasting my time by making me click the UAC notifications every time i open up everything and is resource hungry, but i am OK with it".
    Oh look, I got a new generation OS on a computer that's built to run the last generation OS, with shitty drivers and new security features which punishes lazy programmers which got used to shitty security....
    Everything is obviously the OS's fault!!!!

It didn't help that OEM's tended to slap vista on computers which were never ever meant to run vista.

Vista was genuinely good after SP1. Though the more important part was hardware vendors actually releasing important drivers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

9. Post #1529
    Random guy
    March 2009
    1,914 Posts
    Alright guys, I'm sick of pinball for the day...

What should I do now?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events

10. Post #1530
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,776 Posts

What should I do now?
    Purchase a hat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 9Winner x 1Dumb x 1Zing x 1Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #1531
    Sphene
    September 2010
    10,774 Posts

What should I do now?
    Play more pinball. At this rate you'll never break the 1,000,000,000 barrier.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

12. Post #1532
    I'll do whatever you want me to do babe ;)
    September 2011
    1,780 Posts
    Is it already possible to go directly to the desktop instead the metro interface after booting?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events

13. Post #1533
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    20,495 Posts
    Is it really that hard to press the windows key or alt tab?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

14. Post #1534
    September 2011
    957 Posts
    Is it really that hard to press the windows key or alt tab?
    YES, it's annoying, hence why he asked for a solution to the problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

15. Post #1535
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    I just tried the Windows key on the Consumer Preview, and it didn't do shit to bring me to the desktop from the Start Screen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

16. Post #1536
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,365 Posts
    I just tried the Windows key on the Consumer Preview, and it didn't do shit to bring me to the desktop from the Start Screen.
    It should, if your last used "application" is the desktop. It'll bring you back and forth between the start screen and whatever app you used before it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #1537
    September 2011
    1,780 Posts
    It should, if your last used "application" is the desktop. It'll bring you back and forth between the start screen and whatever app you used before it.
    There are no "last used apps" after booting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #1538
    Sphene
    September 2010
    10,774 Posts
    Whole lotta reading comprehension going on in the last few posts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #1539
    April 2011
    9,081 Posts
    Win key + D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #1540
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,365 Posts
    There are no "last used apps" after booting.
    Just on top of my head, it isn't supposed to go to the desktop when you press the Windows key just after start-up (I'm not near a computer right now, so I can't check either), and it makes sense considering that the desktop application isn't open yet. If this is really the case, i don't see what the problem is. Did he say that he cold booted? I supposed that he simply meant that he was sent to a different application.

Edit: Just backtracked a little. I'm on a mobile device, and I'll use that as an excuse. Still, my former statement was in no way wrong, as that is why it doesn't go to the desktop.

21. Post #1541
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,726 Posts
    Of course it was.

What you have just said is like saying "My OS, Windows Vista is slowing down my computer and the programs i use, manages itself very badly, does endless tasks on my HDD, is wasting my time by making me click the UAC notifications every time i open up everything and is resource hungry, but i am OK with it".
    To be 100% honest with ya, I noticed no improvements in Vista, even with the service packs. Run all the benchmarks you like, but when it comes down to the real-world usage and "feel" of the OS, I noticed no speed increases.

And I saw he didn't include 2000, NT 4.0, Windows server, and a few others, but typical users didn't run those versions of Windows at home. They ran those versions in his list.
    People complained about slow downs because they were running 5+ year old computers and never bothered to upgrade. When 7 came out, everyone already upgraded to run Vista so they didn't complain about performance issues.

Vista improved so many things that it's not even funny. Wireless support, Memory management, new device driver model, IPv6, complete audio core rewrite; here's a list of new features. If you're able to understand what's being said in these articles, you'd realize what you're saying is complete nonsense.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

22. Post #1542
    October 2009
    5,619 Posts
    when i install window 8 in my current HD that alredy has window 7 it will move all my stuff into a new folder called Window Old? or it will delete EVERY thing?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Venezuela Show Events

23. Post #1543
    when i install window 8 in my current HD that alredy has window 7 it will move all my stuff into a new folder called Window Old? or it will delete EVERY thing?
    It moves Users, Program Files and some other folders to C:\Windows.old
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #1544
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,365 Posts
    In my experience it's either pretty much the whole thing, or everything.

25. Post #1545
    October 2009
    5,619 Posts
    ah i see thanks for curiosity is there anyway to get a few parts from the windows registry back? since every time i install a new windows almost half of my games dont work well becouse the lack of registry info in the regedit thing

26. Post #1546
    April 2011
    9,081 Posts
    Can't he also do an upgrade install?

27. Post #1547
    October 2009
    5,619 Posts
    ...I can?

28. Post #1548
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    Be careful though, Windows likes to delete the contents of Windows.old whenever it feels like it. Happened to me a few times before I could salvage my stuff. Backups are strongly recommended before doing this.

29. Post #1549
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,776 Posts
    Yeah and break nearly everything.

Edited:

Be careful though, Windows likes to delete the contents of Windows.old whenever it feels like it. Happened to me a few times before I could salvage my stuff. Backups are strongly recommended before doing this.
    It only does that if you tell it to in Disk Cleanup.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #1550
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    People complained about slow downs because they were running 5+ year old computers and never bothered to upgrade. When 7 came out, everyone already upgraded to run Vista so they didn't complain about performance issues.

Vista improved so many things that it's not even funny. Wireless support, Memory management, new device driver model, IPv6, complete audio core rewrite; here's a list of new features. If you're able to understand what's being said in these articles, you'd realize what you're saying is complete nonsense.
    While Vista improved many things in Windows XP, I don't think we need to bring up features that were already present in Windows XP SP1 to make it seem better than it was.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #1551
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    Yeah and break nearly everything.

Edited:

It only does that if you tell it to in Disk Cleanup.
    Then Ccleaner was the culprit... >_<

32. Post #1552
    October 2009
    5,619 Posts
    so i shoudnt do an upgrade install right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Venezuela Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

33. Post #1553
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,776 Posts
    so i shoudnt do an upgrade install right?
    No.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #1554
    October 2011
    862 Posts
    I like how this shit starts up faster than linux. I can only seem to run Half-Life in software mode which kind of bugged me. But hell, I miss the start button.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #1555
    I did that, worked fine for me. Unless that's the source form the frequent crashes, but I think that's just Windows itself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

36. Post #1556
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    I like how this shit starts up faster than linux. I can only seem to run Half-Life in software mode which kind of bugged me. But hell, I miss the start button.
    Install updated drivers. I had the same issue with my nVidia card, but grabbing the drivers from their site fixed it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

37. Post #1557
    September 2011
    1,780 Posts
    There's an app called Start8. It installs you a startbutton. Not the original one but at least something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Switzerland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

38. Post #1558
    October 2009
    5,619 Posts
    ok so my window 8 iso is done anything i should know before i go on and install this baby?

39. Post #1559
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,365 Posts
    I don't really understand why - they changed the look of it all the time (though they did maintain the flag), so can't we just pretend that they made it transparent? Usability wise it's almost the same.

40. Post #1560
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,776 Posts
    I did that, worked fine for me. Unless that's the source form the frequent crashes, but I think that's just Windows itself.
    More than likely is, running 8 from 7 upgrade really messes up a lot of things in the OS.

Also it's not good to suggest other people to do it since, because it messes up the OS, they might want to stop using it, but now they can't just drop back to 7, they have to reinstall it all over again.