1. Post #2761
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    7,169 Posts
    Ok so i have a tp-link tl wn722n wireless adapter and it doesnt want to work on windows 8. Any sugestions?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2762
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,578 Posts
    How do you even install Windows 8 on a tablet?
    Like you install any other OS on it, that is, in a x86 tablet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

3. Post #2763
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,744 Posts
    USB Flash or DVD drive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events

4. Post #2764
    October 2011
    47 Posts
    USB Flash or DVD drive.
    Arrrg.

What security measures has Microsoft included on this USB OS feature to help prevent piracy?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

5. Post #2765
    November 2009
    1,813 Posts
    anyone remember how to fix amd drivers? had the problem again when I jumped to release preview
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Ireland Show Events

6. Post #2766
    November 2009
    9,089 Posts
    Probably the same way you install Windows 7 on a tablet.

Edited:

Arrrg.

What security measures has Microsoft included on this USB OS feature to help prevent piracy?
    Secure Boot Protection.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

7. Post #2767
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,831 Posts
    No, that has an ARM CPU. You need an x86. Windows 8 is being developed for ARM, but it won't be released as an installable package (although some people might develop ROMs)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

8. Post #2768
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,497 Posts
    For the few of you who's not seeing this, get in here: http://live.theverge.com/microsoft-l...-announcement/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

9. Post #2769
    November 2009
    9,089 Posts
    "The New Microsoft Surface"?

Oh dear... Have they killed off their other surface tech for these tablets? I hope not... I loved how they handled item detection on Surface.

Edited:

Okay... I now understand fully why Microsoft wanted to launch a touch-based operating system... Because this is their first foray into producing and selling an entire, through-and-through, Microsoft computer.

I UNDERSTAND NOW! And I think I like it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #2770
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    You can't install WinRT (WOA) on a tablet since it's for OEMs only, but for an x86 a flash drive will suffice. Just "burn" the ISO to a flash drive with Microsoft's Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #2771
    Just lost $10.
    May 2009
    3,328 Posts
    Is Windows RT supposed to be the ARM version of Windows 8?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

12. Post #2772
    November 2009
    9,089 Posts
    Is Windows RT supposed to be the ARM version of Windows 8?
    Yeah. It's like Windows Embedded.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #2773
    September 2011
    957 Posts
    You can't install WinRT (WOA) on a tablet since it's for OEMs only, but for an x86 a flash drive will suffice. Just "burn" the ISO to a flash drive with Microsoft's Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool.
    I was talking about WinRT. I've seen it installed on iPads, and was curious how the user installs something with no expansion ports... Surely Apple wouldn't allow a rival OS in their own AppStore... Would they?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

14. Post #2774
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    I was talking about WinRT. I've seen it installed on iPads, and was curious how the user installs something with no expansion ports... Surely Apple wouldn't allow a rival OS in their own AppStore... Would they?
    I'm curious as to where you've seen it installed on iPads as WindowsRT hasn't even been released and I highly doubt any OEM has been installing it to a jailbroken iPad for shits and giggles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

15. Post #2775
    September 2011
    957 Posts
    I'm curious as to where you've seen it installed on iPads as WindowsRT hasn't even been released and I highly doubt any OEM has been installing it to a jailbroken iPad for shits and giggles.
    After a bit of googling around, I realize that they are running Windows 8 using Parallels. :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #2776
    December 2008
    1,072 Posts
    Guys anybody else reallly excited for Microsoft Surface?

Like, I'm really planning on getting one so I can have a full Win8 experience.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Tanzania, United Republic of Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #2777
    July 2011
    70 Posts

you can get a full experience with other tablets and laptops too, it's just that this surface device is sleek as hell
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Panama Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #2778
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,407 Posts

I am be completely serious here, but what full Windows 8 experience? Either you get the ARM Surface, and lose backwards compatibility, and essentially you have a Microsoft iPad, or you get the x86 one, which is heavier, thicker, almost certain to have worse battery life, and to make decent use of the backwards compatibility, needs the mouse and keyboard, making it a little netbook really.

It has a touch screen sure, but I don't think any one device can be considered the full Windows 8
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

19. Post #2779
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,578 Posts
    Microsoft said that the surface was the first tablet ever to have dual antennas, yet my DIY Tablet has dual antennas as well
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

20. Post #2780
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    Microsoft said that the surface was the first tablet ever to have dual antennas, yet my DIY Tablet has dual antennas as well
    Sue them and make lots of money.

The start screen has been updated in the newer build that the Surface is running. The icons for desktop programs are now bigger (I'm assuming they're 64x64).

Now if they'd just color code the tiles based on the dominant RGB value of the icon...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

21. Post #2781
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    Now if they'd just color code the tiles based on the dominant RGB value of the icon...
    If they did that it would make the start screen much more pleasing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

22. Post #2782
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,578 Posts
    It's much better but it's still not very pleasing, They should allow the users to set custom icons (full icons) for those so it doesn't look out of the place, I mean hell you've been able to do that since Win95 for shortcuts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #2783
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    It's much better but it's still not very pleasing, They should allow the users to set custom icons (full icons) for those so it doesn't look out of the place, I mean hell you've been able to do that since Win95 for shortcuts
    I'd like all my tiles to be one colour and the background another colour.
    Instead of some rainbow clusterfuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #2784
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,744 Posts
    Sue them and make lots of money.

The start screen has been updated in the newer build that the Surface is running. The icons for desktop programs are now bigger (I'm assuming they're 64x64).

This, and the option to make them one color.

Also anyone know if that pinball game is gonna cost money? and is there a way to get it in the release preview, since it isn't in it but was in the consumer preview.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #2785
    September 2011
    957 Posts
    If they did that it would make the start screen much more pleasing.
    Or heaven-for-fucking-bid we want to customize our own tiles with icons we make ourselves...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

26. Post #2786
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    4,729 Posts
    Or heaven-for-fucking-bid we want to customize our own tiles with icons we make ourselves...
    Microsoft probably won't let us do that, but maybe Stardock or someone will make a program for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #2787
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    Go into the start menu folder and change it from there. You don't need a $10 stardock program.

Shit icon just as an example.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #2788
    February 2008
    557 Posts
    Not just changing the icon but the whole tile. At least that's what I want.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #2789
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,254 Posts
    i'm just going to fill my start screen with live tiles so i don't really care about the icons
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #2790
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    4,729 Posts
    Go into the start menu folder and change it from there. You don't need a $10 stardock program.

I meant the full tile.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #2791
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    731 Posts
    It worries me that my C drive is included in the list of removable devices when it's an internal SSD. Maybe AHCI is overdoing the 'plug-n-play' aspect, an entire OS .
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #2792
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,831 Posts
    It worries me that my C drive is included in the list of removable devices when it's an internal SSD. Maybe AHCI is overdoing the 'plug-n-play' aspect, an entire OS .
    I think the term you're looking for is "hot-swappable". All SATA drives are technically hot-swappable, even if they're internal. But if you're using it as your Windows drive, that's a little weird...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #2793
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    Mine's done the same thing since Windows 7. It's just how AHCI works.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

34. Post #2794
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,407 Posts

Can you still do that with Windows Marketplace apps, or will those be digitally signed or something?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #2795
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    I think even XP does this with correct drivers and BIOS settings, but if not, 7 certainly does it. SATA drives are removable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #2796
    November 2009
    9,089 Posts
    Oh, oh, try to eject the C drive! See what happens!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #2797
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,508 Posts
    Well I tried to download the upgrade assistant, but that says my CPU doesn't meet requirements. Which is shit, because last time I checked, a Core2Duo was accepted, but my i7-950 won't meet requirements apparently.

I guess I'll make a flash drive of the iso.

This is weird, I missed talking about computers all the time
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

38. Post #2798
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    Well I tried to download the upgrade assistant, but that says my CPU doesn't meet requirements. Which is shit, because last time I checked, a Core2Duo was accepted, but my i7-950 won't meet requirements apparently.

I guess I'll make a flash drive of the iso.

This is weird, I missed talking about computers all the time
    I had the same issue with my i5. You have to enable something in your BIOS.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...0-61805a2d95ef
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

39. Post #2799
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,578 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

40. Post #2800
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,254 Posts
    it's just in app advertising. looks better than what i deal with on android
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)