1. Post #6121
    Guru mediation error
    July 2012
    7,109 Posts

who would pay for this

either way, windows 8 is cool, loving the overall responsiveness of the OS (cold boot in 10 seconds is a real pleasure)
    I know Win8 has a shit application library at the moment, but Microsoft should be a bit more picky.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

2. Post #6122
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2007
    4,426 Posts
    It's hard to be picky when there's so many people creating apps. Apple are the most picky with allowing apps, and shit ones still get through (Fart button, I am rich)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #6123
    Swaggon owner
    August 2011
    4,920 Posts
    Have to format my laptops HDD and reinstall windows 8

I did this when i installed as i dont like doing the upgrade, but something has screwed it over.

There goes one of my activations...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

4. Post #6124
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,583 Posts
    Is this how you browse files in Windows RT ?

Seems ok for a tablet like thing. Microsoft my not have much creativity when it comes to style, but they know people need a file browser unlike Apple.
    Those colours are hideous
    That's not by Microsoft.
    You have the full Windows Explorer in Windows RT.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Informative Informative x 3Agree Agree x 3 (list)

5. Post #6125
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    582 Posts
    I know Win8 has a shit application library at the moment, but Microsoft should be a bit more picky.
    the more the merrier imo
    they should just make sure apps like this are free and not paid (because honestly, an app displaying pictures for 1.19 euros, what the hell) and that in-app adverts are not intrusive/follow rules set by Microsoft
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6126
    Aren't those 'meme' images copyrighted anyway?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

7. Post #6127
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,086 Posts
    Is this how you browse files in Windows RT ?

Seems ok for a tablet like thing. Microsoft may not have much creativity when it comes to style, but they know people need a file browser unlike Apple.
    You mean like the same fucking desktop and explorer that full Windows has?

You realize that RT is the exact same as Windows 8 at its core (except it runs ARM obviously) so you have the same command line, the same control panel, the same file explorer...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

8. Post #6128
    Internet Detective (HBIED certified)
    August 2007
    7,224 Posts
    Oh great, Steam just decided to shit the bed and is refusing to launch:

Tried a repair install of Steam after the usual "delete clientregistry.blob" hassle, any ideas?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

9. Post #6129
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    582 Posts
    Oh great, Steam just decided to shit the bed and is refusing to launch:

Tried a repair install of Steam after the usual "delete clientregistry.blob" hassle, any ideas?
    I'd try deleting dsound.dll and do a repair install again

10. Post #6130
    Internet Detective (HBIED certified)
    August 2007
    7,224 Posts
    I'd try deleting dsound.dll and do a repair install again
    Yeah, fixed it by renaming dsound.dll in steam's dir so it uses the windows version (although I'm not sure what I'm breaking / about to break)

11. Post #6131
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    21,598 Posts
    Aren't those 'meme' images copyrighted anyway?
    how could a few scribbles be copyrighted
    is there even an original source for them?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

12. Post #6132
    October 2009
    1,099 Posts
    Those colours are hideous
    If that's Metro Commander, you can change the background to anything you want, like what I'm using now:

But I don't see why you would use it over the file explorer, other than for fun perhaps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

13. Post #6133
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    15,042 Posts
    So how do you make nicer shortcut icons in the start menu? I'm specifically looking for a nice steam icon right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

14. Post #6134
    October 2009
    1,099 Posts
    So how do you make nicer shortcut icons in the start menu? I'm specifically looking for a nice steam icon right now.
    Oblytile and http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16004724/Ste...0Photoshop.zip

Someone else made those two though.

15. Post #6135

Uhm, what? I don't see anything related to IRC in the Messaging app, or did I miss something?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events

16. Post #6136
    January 2010
    487 Posts
    That IRC Explorer app actually looks really good, I just can't be bothered to put 1.99 into something I can get for free.

17. Post #6137
    October 2012
    77 Posts
    So I went and upgraded to 8... so far so good!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Belgium Show Events

18. Post #6138
    November 2010
    287 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 14Friendly Friendly x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #6139
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,969 Posts
    I just snap my music app to the left of my screen.

Also, I have an ASUS laptop with Windows 8 on it, but none of my function keys work (Wifi, keyboard backlight, volume) or the power keys (screen contrast, power mode). Any way to fix this?
    Download the Windows 7 version of this:

http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...kage&p=3&os=30

Installed and works perfectly on 8 using my G74sx
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #6140
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    39,114 Posts
    Download the Windows 7 version of this:

http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...kage&p=3&os=30

Installed and works perfectly on 8 using my G74sx
    Yep, these drivers worked on my G53SW.

21. Post #6141
    I have a raging boner right now
    August 2010
    340 Posts
    So this version of Windows 8 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...mpare_FPP_Null

I assume this is only the upgrade, or does it also support the full installation?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

22. Post #6142
    Dennab
    February 2008
    10,478 Posts
    So this version of Windows 8 [http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...pare_FPP_Null]

I assume this is only the upgrade, or does it also support the full installation?
    Full installation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #6143
    Guru mediation error
    July 2012
    7,109 Posts
    So this version of Windows 8 [http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...pare_FPP_Null]

It will do the full installation, upgrade requires you start the setup from a booted windows instance anyway.

Just dump it onto a DVD/USB Flash drive and hit install.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #6144
    Dennab
    February 2008
    10,478 Posts
    It will do the full installation, upgrade requires you start the setup from a booted windows instance anyway.

Or install from Windows itself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #6145
    August 2010
    340 Posts
    Thanks guys, for that price it's practically a steal.

26. Post #6146
    Guru mediation error
    July 2012
    7,109 Posts
    Or install from Windows itself.
    Or keep it handy on a flash drive permanently?
    I've got copies of 7 and 8 backed up safely ready to install onto a completely blank PC.
    The restore and refresh options require installation media anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #6147
    Dennab
    February 2008
    10,478 Posts
    Or keep it handy on a flash drive permanently?
    I've got copies of 7 and 8 backed up safely ready to install onto a completely blank PC.
    The restore and refresh options require installation media anyway.
    It's still an option.

28. Post #6148
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,905 Posts
    So this version of Windows 8 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...mpare_FPP_Null

You must be running Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, but you have the option of doing a clean installation if you want.

EDIT: Wow how did this page suddenly appear
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events

29. Post #6149
    Dennab
    February 2008
    10,478 Posts
    You must be running Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, but you have the option of doing a clean installation if you want.

EDIT: Wow how did this page suddenly appear
    False, you can install from Windows 8 to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #6150
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,889 Posts

You can do a fresh install from an upgrade anyway. At least I could. I could just boot into the DVD and say fuck everything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #6151
    August 2010
    340 Posts

This'll still work, right?

32. Post #6152
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,905 Posts
    False, you can install from Windows 8 to.
    D'oh, I knew that, but I copied that right from the actual page.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #6153

February 2008
    76 Posts
    So, i decided to buy win 8 for 15 (that promotion thing as i bought my laptop not long ago) and then though sod it install it.

so before i headed to work i clicked the shortcut on the desktop to install it, let it do its thing, sorted out the things it wanted me to, then restarted my pc, then when i was at work i teamviewed my laptop and then hit install, expecting to maybe loose all mystuff / have it shoved in a .old folder

but no! came home, chose my color and bam, everything had been installed / carried over so i did not need to install anything, not bad

the one thing i hate though is when a program stops responding, it does not give you the option to wait, instead it decides to try and fix it and give up forcing you to close the application :/

34. Post #6154
    November 2010
    287 Posts
    wow! the music app totally blew my mind! Looks so slick and works really great! Did not expect that at all.
    Only thing that bugs me is that there is no volume controll in app. (?)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events

35. Post #6155
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    2,644 Posts
    I just bought it for $15 (killer deal) and I'm wondering for those who did an upgrade over Windows 7, how was the process? I have a TON of stuff that I would really hate to re-download so I'm hoping the upgrade doesnt ruin the install of my DAW/VSTS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

36. Post #6156
    "CERTIFIED" SYSTEMS BUILDER
    June 2007
    2,652 Posts
    wow! the music app totally blew my mind! Looks so slick and works really great! Did not expect that at all.
    Only thing that bugs me is that there is no volume controll in app. (?)
    charms bar
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #6157
    I just bought it for $15 (killer deal) and I'm wondering for those who did an upgrade over Windows 7, how was the process? I have a TON of stuff that I would really hate to re-download so I'm hoping the upgrade doesnt ruin the install of my DAW/VSTS.
    You can either transfer everything including programs, personal files (my documents), or nothing.

I chose nothing but I still had all my old files in windows.old for some reason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #6158
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    HP Elitebooks?

39. Post #6159

October 2012
    18 Posts
    Just did a fallback a few days ago to Windows 7 since I was persuaded not to get the new Windows 8 (Was running the CP/RP before-hand). Give me some reasons that I should pay the 25 and upgrade.

40. Post #6160
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,889 Posts
    Just did a fallback a few days ago to Windows 7 since I was persuaded not to get the new Windows 8 (Was running the CP/RP before-hand). Give me some reasons that I should pay the 25 and upgrade.
    It's overall better and it's never gonna be cheaper. Reason enough?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)