1. Post #4001
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,368 Posts
    Since WOW means Windows on Windows, maybe it means System32 for Windows(32) on Windows64.
    soooo... system windows on windows 64?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events

2. Post #4002
    November 2009
    8,981 Posts
    soooo... system windows on windows 64?
    Yeah... Still doesn't make any sense.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #4003
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    It's controlled via the msstyles, if you want I could make an edit for you, what color do you want the text?
    I'd like white but that wouldn't work with the inactive window color. Blah. I don't know any color that would work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #4004
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,808 Posts
    WOW64 is the subsystem that emulates Windows (32) on Windows 64. System32 is where the native files are (even on 64-bit), and it just has a stupid legacy name that couldn't really be changed without breaking stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #4005
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    16,800 Posts
    The Win7 explorer thing seems to break some Bluetooth functionality (Show Bluetooth Devices and Add a Bluetooth Device give an error that says "class not registered"), but other than that, it seems fine.

I still managed to pair my phone by opening up Control Panel, looking for Bluetooth and choosing Add a Bluetooth Device under Devices and Printers.
    After that, my phone shows up in Devices and Printers so I can control it from there.

Edited:

I can't seem to find Windows To Go anywhere?
    I heard it's supposed to be in System32\pwcreator.exe, but I couldn't find a pwcreator.exe anywhere on the computer.
    Does Win8 Pro build 9200 not have it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

6. Post #4006
    "CERTIFIED" SYSTEMS BUILDER
    June 2007
    2,645 Posts
    The Win7 explorer thing seems to break some Bluetooth functionality (Show Bluetooth Devices and Add a Bluetooth Device give an error that says "class not registered"), but other than that, it seems fine.

I still managed to pair my phone by opening up Control Panel, looking for Bluetooth and choosing Add a Bluetooth Device under Devices and Printers.
    After that, my phone shows up in Devices and Printers so I can control it from there.

Edited:

I heard it's supposed to be in System32\pwcreator.exe, but I couldn't find a pwcreator.exe anywhere on the computer.
    Windows To Go is a feature in Windows 8 Enterprise that allows Windows 8 Enterprise to boot and run from USB mass storage devices such as flash drives and external hard drives.[1]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_To_Go

7. Post #4007
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,808 Posts
    The creator only exists in Enterprise, but you might be able to get it working using the manual method.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events

8. Post #4008
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,791 Posts
    I'd like white but that wouldn't work with the inactive window color. Blah. I don't know any color that would work.
    There are different colors for both active an inactive, they're just the same by default.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

9. Post #4009
    September 2007
    16,800 Posts
    Meh, don't need it really, just wanted to check it out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Finland Show Events

10. Post #4010
    January 2012
    389 Posts
    Is it against the rules or not to tell activation methods...

Because I just got my Win8 pro activated and would like to share the exact method.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

11. Post #4011
    Glorious GNU/Linux Master Race
    May 2010
    5,162 Posts
    Is it against the rules or not to tell activation methods...

Because I just got my Win8 pro activated and would like to share the exact method.
    probably goes under warez
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #4012
    January 2012
    389 Posts
    Ah. Well that sucks. I'll just leave these images here...

That watermark has went away now...

(non KMS activation method, at least can last 180 days...)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

13. Post #4013
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,808 Posts
    Is it considered warez to share the name of another forum that has less strict rules? And may have some information about activation?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #4014
    January 2012
    389 Posts
    Is it considered warez to share the name of another forum that has less strict rules? And may have some information about activation?
    I guess I kinda did this in an earlier post...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #4015
    Glorious GNU/Linux Master Race
    May 2010
    5,162 Posts
    I think sharing the name of another forum is okay, but directly linking to a page wich shows the activation may be illegal.

Im not really sure about this one. Maybe we could have some confirmation from the mods.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #4016
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,940 Posts
    I decided to go into this thread:

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1205914

That was a mistake. I know most of us come to this thread because we enjoy Windows 8 or we're at least interested in. But shit, there is no way some of the posts on the first page have even used it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

17. Post #4017
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,808 Posts

That was a mistake. I know most of us come to this thread because we enjoy Windows 8 or we're at least interested in. But shit, there is no way some of the posts on the first page have even used it.
    It's not safe to discuss hardware and software when you venture out of the hardware and software forum.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

18. Post #4018
    "CERTIFIED" SYSTEMS BUILDER
    June 2007
    2,645 Posts

I'd imagine the reality of the situation at launch is probably just going to be somewhere between the views of this thread and that one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

19. Post #4019
    Prime Minister of Australia
    June 2008
    7,123 Posts

who cares
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Australia Show Events Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #4020
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    There are different colors for both active an inactive, they're just the same by default.
    Ooh cool. Leave inactive the way it is and change the active to an off white (#f8f8f8).

21. Post #4021
    January 2011
    2,288 Posts
    Ooh cool. Leave inactive the way it is and change the active to an off white (#f8f8f8).
    I'd like this too please
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Australia Show Events

22. Post #4022
    June 2010
    2,438 Posts

Since trying to uphold an argument in a news thread, I've decided to just flat out avoid any other thread that even mentions Windows 8. It's just too frustrating - I'm worried I'll grind my teeth away.

Has this been posted here yet? I share this guys views almost completely.

Also, I really feel like, now that the old start menu is gone (and I really don't like using the start screen in the same way as a desktop launcher, the desktop app tiles looking so ugly and the switch in UI being a bit distracting), they need to improve the functionality of the taskbar to make the desktop feel more usable. Something like this would be amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

23. Post #4023
    June 2012
    528 Posts
    It's not "somewhat" faster, it's insanely much faster. The UI isn't ruined at all. The only thing thats changed is the startmenu, the UI for everything else looks like W7 with some metro stuff.

If you just give the startmenu a chance and customize it to your liking it's more efficient. And you don't have to click extra things. You just have to customize it a bit to your personal liking.

Edited:

When I tried Windows 8 and then went back to Windows 7, I missed Windows 8 because of the fact it's faster and faster in a working environment. Windows 7 feels sluggish and you have to click more. Windows 8 feels more efficient like I've said lots of times already.
    You work for microsoft?
    Nice try asshole.

(User was banned for this post ("Flaming" - Ninja101))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17Funny Funny x 2 (list)

24. Post #4024
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    17,808 Posts
    You work for microsoft?
    Nice try asshole.
    Where did he say he worked for Microsoft?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #4025
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,742 Posts
    I'm having trouble getting moonbase alpha to work on windows 8, it just crashes at the splash screen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events

26. Post #4026
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    773 Posts
    I'm having trouble getting moonbase alpha to work on windows 8, it just crashes at the splash screen.
    just sing the John Madder Choir (make sure your microphone is on full volume) and it will automatically launch

have you tried compatibility mode?   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malta Show Events

27. Post #4027
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,742 Posts
    just sing the John Madder Choir (make sure your microphone is on full volume) and it will automatically launch

have you tried compatibility mode?   
    I have tried compatibility mode, no change.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events

28. Post #4028
    Dennab
    February 2008
    10,478 Posts
    What defragmentation software are you using :)? I've always used PerfectDisk but it doesn't work on W8.

Edited:

And is there any point in installing AV on W8? I've always used Eset Smart Security, shall I install it again?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

29. Post #4029
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    188 Posts
    What defragmentation software are you using :)? I've always used PerfectDisk but it doesn't work on W8.

Edited:

And is there any point in installing AV on W8? I've always used Eset Smart Security, shall I install it again?
    What is wrong with Windows' own defragger?

Yes, it could be a good idea to install a 3rd party AV. It all comes down to how paranoid you are. Although Defender is now MSE, it lacks some of the more advanced features some other AV software have. Just keep in mind that Defender is only the most essential AV. It is good for a built-in solution, but might not be as good a other solutions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Denmark Show Events

30. Post #4030
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,092 Posts
    default defragger is fine

I'd personally stick with default AV but there is Comodo if you want a fortress
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #4031
    June 2011
    8,597 Posts
    After retrying Windows 8 I've realized it's not as bad as I previously thought.
    I apologize for the stupid things I said earlier.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

32. Post #4032
    Dennab
    February 2008
    10,478 Posts
    Go on!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events

33. Post #4033
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    20,853 Posts

Edited:

AusLogics Defrag is probably my favourite third party defragmentation app.
    But the built in one is fine.

Edited:

Now if only the other half of FP would do as you are.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

34. Post #4034
    Dennab
    February 2008
    10,478 Posts
    AusLogics Defrag is probably my favourite third party defragmentation app.
    But the built in one is fine.
    I like to have a more close look and be able to defrag folder and stuff like that. Thanks for the tip, hopefully this works on W8.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

35. Post #4035
    September 2007
    16,800 Posts
    Using wireless with the Windows 7 explorer is a massive pain in the ass, the stupid network list thing is tied into Metro, so you don't get the quick-use menu thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #4036
    August 2010
    856 Posts
    cmd > "systeminfo"

then look for "system boot time"
    It shows the same time as in the task manager. Or maybe it only resets when I do a cold boot?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Hungary Show Events

37. Post #4037
    January 2012
    389 Posts
    This may be too early... but are there any apps, software, or tweaks in Win8 that are a "must have"?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

38. Post #4038
    June 2007
    2,226 Posts
    It shows the same time as in the task manager. Or maybe it only resets when I do a cold boot?

Windows 8 doesn't actually shut down in the same way Windows 7 does, it's a mix of hibernation and a normal shutdown. It shuts down all the processes etc. but it saves the kernel and service states on your HDD instead of re-initializing it on every boot, which is one of the reasons why it boots so much faster.

If you select restart instead of shut down it does an actual cold boot and should reset that timer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #4039
    June 2010
    2,438 Posts
    I respect you so much for this post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

40. Post #4040
    So I have to reinstall Windows in a few days, but I'm not sure whether I should get 7 or 8. The last time I got 8 it crashed frequently. Is it more stable now? Is Windows 8 actually getting updated?
    Plus, I run a Minecraft server on my PC with about 5-10 players daily for 2 more weeks. Will that run properly on Windows 8?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events