1. Post #521
    December 2008
    740 Posts

What's with the fish?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 11Agree Agree x 2 (list)

2. Post #522
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,592 Posts
    This live webcast from The Verge is awesome. The Verge = Best tech site right now!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Panama Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #523
    Glorious GNU/Linux Master Race
    May 2010
    5,205 Posts

What's with the fish?
    its the beta fish
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 9Funny Funny x 6 (list)

4. Post #524
    September 2011
    47 Posts
    26 Minutes remaining for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

5. Post #525
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts

What's with the fish?
    Flat simplistic (Metro-like) Betta fish
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #526
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    6,935 Posts
    Any performance improvements on W8?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #527
    December 2008
    740 Posts
    its the beta fish
    They should keep it for the release. It's way better than the Windows...window.

Edited:

And it's done, pretty sweet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #528
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    Yes it's much quicker and uses less memory.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

9. Post #529
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,592 Posts
    I think that's like, the biggest selling point for me. Apparently uses half the RAM Win7 uses. Boots up in few seconds
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Panama Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

10. Post #530
    September 2011
    957 Posts
    Microsoft used a betta fish in the Windows 8 Beta?

"LIKE IT HASN'T ALREADY BEEN FUCKING DONE BEFORE!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8 (list)

11. Post #531
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    Wow that was a quicker install than I thought it'd be. It installed those shitty AMD drivers so now going anywhere near the screen it lags for a while. Did the same in the dev preview.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #532
    April 2008
    716 Posts

And? So what if it has been done before, it's fitting. And the fish looks different from the one used in Windows 7 Beta.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events

13. Post #533
    August 2011
    75 Posts

And yet, if they'd have done something else, they'd have people bitching that they wasted developer time on that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

14. Post #534
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    I can't really be bothered with doing a Dual boot, would I get away with just using Win8?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #535
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,592 Posts
    I can't really be bothered with doing a Dual boot, would I get away with just using Win8?
    not all devices and drivers work, if you do work or important stuff other than browsing and playing games (not even all games work) you could use win8 with no problems, otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Panama Show Events

16. Post #536
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,467 Posts
    They changed the way the "move the mouse to one side" switching works, sweet. Having to use the scroll wheel to change between small thumbnails didn't work very well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

17. Post #537
    September 2011
    957 Posts
    not all devices and drivers work, if you do work or important stuff other than browsing and playing games (not even all games work) you could use win8 with no problems, otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it.
    If the beta gives me any major troubles with playing TF2, Photoshop CS5, or video encoding, I'll just resort back to 7's stable epicness.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #538
    September 2011
    47 Posts
    Guys, I got an idea, I want to install Win8 on my laptop ( offered by my highschool ), isn't too risky ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

19. Post #539
    December 2008
    740 Posts
    Not sure I like how they've made the Start button on taskbar. You have to drag mouse to very bottom left of screen and then it'll popup for you to click.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #540
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    The new weather app blows the previous one away.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Zing Zing x 2 (list)

21. Post #541
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    Got it installed now as my only OS on my desktop. Only way I'll really see if I like it.

Already, many things I dislike (at least by default, hopefully I can customise a ton)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Australia Show Events

22. Post #542
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,084 Posts
    Installing it right now, wanted to do it on a VHD but somehow it didn't like it. (Told me it couldn't boot from it and thus not install it there but I found an empty 40GB partition which I used now, I hope I didn't fuck anything up)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Germany Show Events

23. Post #543
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,564 Posts
    Installing Customer Preview on my tablet right now, I'll finally make a video of it once I install
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

24. Post #544
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    I think I'll risk it, I only have a 256GB SSD so don't have lots of space to play with, I can easily reinstall 7 if I come across an issue.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

25. Post #545
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    A new 3D pinball game!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 12Useful Useful x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #546
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,564 Posts
    A new 3D pinball game!
    Space Cadet 2?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

27. Post #547
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    Not sure I like how they've made the Start button on taskbar. You have to drag mouse to very bottom left of screen and then it'll popup for you to click.
    You don't have to wait for it to show up. It works like it always has, just click it. Only thing different is its appearance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

28. Post #548
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,084 Posts
    Okay, installed! Multiscreen support seems to be "weird". I got Metro on the left, but the normal desktop on the right.

29. Post #549
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    Space Cadet 2?
    Pinball FX

Level 1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 15 (list)

30. Post #550
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,724 Posts
    I'm really impressed so far. It's got everything from my phone, too. I didn't have to set up Gmail, for example.

I'm missing Live Mesh, though. I can see SkyDrive, but not stuff synced with Mesh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

31. Post #551
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,084 Posts
    Windows 8 supports widescreen wallpapers (ala one long wallpaper for both displays)

32. Post #552
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,896 Posts
    That system requirements checker thing

"Your CPU is not sufficient for the consumer preview, you need at least 1GHz"

My CPU might be crappy, but it is 2GHz

Intel Celeron E1400 @ 2.00GHz
    Conroe 65nm Technology
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #553
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,592 Posts
    I'm really impressed so far. It's got everything from my phone, too. I didn't have to set up Gmail, for example.

I'm missing Live Mesh, though. I can see SkyDrive, but not stuff synced with Mesh.
    wait, what? It syncs the info from Windows phone?? holy phuckk
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Panama Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #554
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,724 Posts
    wait, what? It syncs the info from Windows phone?? holy phuckk
    Yeah, Calender and shit too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #555
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    About 30 seconds into logging in someone on WLM sent me a message and it went through the messages app. Now I love that. You can even dock the messages off to the side and always have that there. This is just brilliant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

36. Post #556
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,439 Posts
    Still 4 hours to go :(
    I have half the speed of you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

37. Post #557
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,724 Posts
    All my Metro apps just turned German.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 13 (list)

38. Post #558
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,896 Posts
    That system requirements checker thing

"Your CPU is not sufficient for the consumer preview, you need at least 1GHz"

My CPU might be crappy, but it is 2GHz

Intel Celeron E1400 @ 2.00GHz
    Conroe 65nm Technology
    So uh... what do?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #559
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    I was curious as to how I could use the app switcher with two monitors, Win+Tab now shows that sidebar of running apps. Neat.

Edited:

Edited:

WEI gives quite different results.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

40. Post #560
    "CERTIFIED" SYSTEMS BUILDER
    June 2007
    2,645 Posts

well that took a whole 67 seconds
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Winner Winner x 1Late Late x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)