1. Post #841
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    7,924 Posts
    How the fuck am I supposed to close metro apps quickly short of going to the top left and right-clicking each one and picking "Close"
    I don't close any of them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #842
    January 2010
    232 Posts
    How can I add music the the music app? It's telling me to go to marketplace, does that mean it doesn't work with music I've ripped from CDs?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #843
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,103 Posts
    From a non tablet perspective, this ain't gonna cut it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

4. Post #844
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    How the fuck am I supposed to close metro apps quickly short of going to the top left and right-clicking each one and picking "Close"
    Apps go into standby (no CPU/Network/etc) so there's no need to close them. If you're running low on RAM it closes those apps for you. If you really want to for whatever reason grab the top and drag it down to the bottom.

Edited:

How can I add music the the music app? It's telling me to go to marketplace, does that mean it doesn't work with music I've ripped from CDs?
    It gets it from the music library.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

5. Post #845
    Drag them by grabbing them from the top to the bottom of the screen. I find it pretty fluid, wish I could do that with windows in XP.

Edited:

WMC looks pretty fucking good, the music app is total shit for some reason
    actually all the apps and shit and their actual software counterpart is better
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Argentina Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

6. Post #846
    Internet Detective (HBIED certified)
    August 2007
    7,215 Posts
    Also, how does system backup work now? Are we supposed to just use File History and restore that in a fresh copy of 8 in the case of system failure?

7. Post #847
    Seems like it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Argentina Show Events

8. Post #848
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    Drag them by grabbing them from the top to the bottom of the screen. I find it pretty fluid, wish I could do that with windows in XP.

Edited:

WMC looks pretty fucking good, the music app is total shit for some reason
    actually all the apps and shit and their actual software counterpart is better
    Oh wow, I didn't go too far into it so I thought it was the same as in 7. Neat.

Damn it still has the same problem as explorer, wmp, and music app. Albums with multiple discs aren't organized properly

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #849
    January 2010
    232 Posts

It gets it from the music library.
    I added the folder my music is stored in to the library (as in, I went into properties and added the folder) but it still isn't working.

Edited:

Nevermind I sorted it

10. Post #850
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    The volume wheel on my G15 makes this neat thing come up:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #851
    I don't get the album/artist info but that pops up with my <shitty keyboard with media keys>'s volume keys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #852
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    I don't get the album/artist info but that pops up with my <shitty keyboard with media keys>'s volume keys.
    It might be only if you have the music app running.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #853
    oh, music app
    tried it with MC and MP

Yep it's music app
    too bad music app is TOTAL SHIT
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Argentina Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #854
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    oh, music app
    tried it with MC and MP
    Would be nice if that worked too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #855
    Well my change song keys work with the other players, it just doesn't show the fancy info thing.
    Sending a feedback ticket about that, I suggest you all do the same because it's a pretty cool little feature.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #856
    Interesting that you say that. Friend.
    August 2007
    3,378 Posts
    I am getting pretty iffy on Windows 8. I enjoy a lot of the new stuff, but I don't like how Metro and the standard desktop integrate together, it doesn't feel very dynamic.

I dislike the locking up, but I'm assuming it'll be fixed so I won't hold it against them.

I am okay with the messaging app, but I dislike how I can't just show my online friend list like WLM in the people App, or why I can't display online friends in my messaging app. I really dislike having to go to another app, look for someone, and then select them to send a message. Maybe if I could stack two apps on top of each other in the right side of my screen and sort by online in people, I'd like it more, but right now I'm sticking to WLM2011.

I feel like I'd enjoy the email app. But it's ALWAYS freezing on me, I haven't really been able to try it yet because of that.

I wish Metro Games could run via metro or a window too, I'm not sure if they can or can't but it doesn't seem like it, and that bothers me from a developers standpoint, so I'll be sticking with XNA 4.0 and Unity.

All in all its a step in the right direction though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

17. Post #857
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,439 Posts
    I'm not at home but the download is finished and I can't install it because it's not where I am because it's at home, not here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

18. Post #858
    November 2009
    9,077 Posts
    If there are ever mods to disable the Metro portion of Windows 8, and reintegrate everything into the desktop portion (with a start menu)... I'll actually give this a hefty chunk of consideration. Right now, Windows 7 is better. We'll see how things turn out. I love the new Desktop functionalities, but Metro nullifies any sort of benefit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

19. Post #859
    I would like it better if the metro thing took me to the "show all apps" thing

20. Post #860
    November 2009
    9,077 Posts
    Ah-ha! I've found a relatively simple way to get full Start functionality back into Windows 8's Desktop mode.

I used ViStart (http://lee-soft.com/vistart/)

In conjunction with this tutorial:
    http://www.groovypost.com/howto/howt...ows-7-taskbar/

And now my taskbar looks like this:

It's a bit glitchy, but it works pretty well. It restores the necessary functionality, while still allowing full Metro functionality in-tandem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Late Late x 2Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #861
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    I just posted that on the previous page
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #862
    you win windows 8 forever

It's sad that we have to go through all this shit to do it, though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Argentina Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

23. Post #863
    November 2009
    9,077 Posts
    I just posted that on the previous page
    Yours overlapped. Mine's cleaner.

Here's a metro theme for Vistart, if you feel so inclined. http://silviu-eduard.deviantart.com/...tart-275535166
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #864
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,263 Posts

Ugh, it seems like it's a bug if you upgrade from Win7.

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualS...studio-11-beta
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

25. Post #865
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    What I don't like about the start screen is that all previous incarnations of the start menu kept your applications, and important system short cuts separate.
    My Computer, control panel and the rest are kept clearly separate from everything else.
    And why the hell isn't there a shut down button on the start screen? shutting down is not a setting.

Oh and it refuses to install on my laptop, apparently its BIOS is incompatible...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

26. Post #866
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    188 Posts
    I just noticed that they have removed the "Are you sure you want to delete this"-dialog when you press delete on a file. Now it is limitedly moved to the recycle bin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

27. Post #867
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,201 Posts
    Be careful running the Steam uninstaller on Windows 8, because it'll remove it on Windows 7 too. I just learned that the hard way and lost all my games files.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 6Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #868
    November 2009
    1,813 Posts
    Wow, I get why people say that's Zune like. That isn't Zune like, that's like they copy pasted Zune.
    Well, Zune is practically the newer Windows Media Player, so why not?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Ireland Show Events

29. Post #869
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    20,988 Posts
    i wrote this with my tablet :D

Edited:

Also my bamboo touch mode is super glitchy with W8, beware.

30. Post #870
    October 2008
    2,398 Posts
    After playing around with consumer preview a bit, it's not all that bad, my major complain being all the stupid gestures (with no buttons to match) and the complete lack of context menus (I don't want a bar to pop up at the bottom of my screen, I want the options to display themselves right where my mouse is). There's also the horrid layout of some of the metro apps, but that's not so much a problem with the operating system as the app.

They really need to add an option to specify if you're using a touch interface or not, and do things differently based on that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

31. Post #871
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    I can't play the game I play most often. I guess I'm off to start a dual boot then :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

32. Post #872
    I love the new bootscreen. Do I get to keep it if I uninstall 8 and install 7?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Argentina Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

33. Post #873
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    I love the new bootscreen. Do I get to keep it if I uninstall 8 and install 7?
    No, the bootscreen is in the kernel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

34. Post #874
    No, the bootscreen is in the kernel.
    Bah, well that sucks. It's so pretty and stuff.

35. Post #875
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    Bah, well that sucks. It's so pretty and stuff.
    Well the beta fish boot screen won't be there for long anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #876
    Titlepocalypse 2012 participant
    November 2010
    7,937 Posts
    First Impressions: Directly after installing and using for a little bit this morning before work
    The Metro UI is a bit annoying on a PC. They don't tell you how to do anything here and it can be a little confusing. I like some of the changes they've made in Desktop view though such as Ribbon on Explorer and the visual bootloader.

More thoughts: After coming home and using it for another half hour and figuring out everything somewhat easily.
    I guess it's not too bad. I like some of the new icons and how the Homegroup shows user icons now. They need to add more visual cues of sorts or maybe just a plain old control display like on Xbox 360.
    I still miss the Start Menu.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

37. Post #877
    Well the beta fish boot screen won't be there for long anyway.
    No I meant the thingamajig to select the OS you want to boot

Edited:

I wonder if we could get 4chan to spam the shit outta microsoft with "MAKE IT MORE NOT TOUCH FRIENDLY" and "ADD A START BUTTON, IT'S SO FUCKING EASY TO DO" feedback reports.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Argentina Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

38. Post #878
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,263 Posts
    that would just make them take it less serious
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #879
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,084 Posts
    Does anyone know if it's possible to add proper Tile Icons to Apps ? I hate how normal Applications got a stupid small Icon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

40. Post #880
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    I like using the start screen on my laptop but not my desktop. Just seems nicer for some reason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)