1. Post #921
    January 2012
    389 Posts
    I had this problem too. I fixed it by installing it from an existing OS, using the setup file.
    You mean just running the setup off of Windows 7? When I do that I get this:

and this

I've decided I got a bad .iso and I'm going to re-download it overnight.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

2. Post #922
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,696 Posts
    Okay so I've decided I will write this review because this is what windows 8 reflects on me.

I think windows 8 overall will be fantastic for people who love metro and/or has a xbox or used/has a windows phone will enjoy this. Even though I own a desktop I'm noticing how fast it is compared to windows7 and also finding that I can do more task without a decrease in RAM and also multitasking more easier than ever.

The 2 control panels are annoying as fuck, hopefully they'll have one overall universal settings panel to do everything you need either that be from metro or explorer.

Internet Explorer 10 seems to crash a lot and lock up, hopefully when they make it metro it'll be better.

Windows store seems to have great potential hopefully microsoft won't fuck it over, people should enjoy it with a tablet or not. I'll probably favour it over than going to download websites now.

Messaging + People is great, I can now message people better and look at statuses with ease with it, great implantation.

Weather seems good, just needs a Celsius option.

The right toolbar (the one that is hidden and contains devices, start, search etc.) should be easier to access not harder.

Metro snap is probably one of the greatest things from the traditional snap, it doesn't seem to fuck up the resolution much and makes doing work and using metro apps easier than ever.

XBOX live is not here in Australia for PC's which is disappointing, I would love it but we can't have it. To me it seems like microsoft may bridge the gap between GFWL and combine it with XBL which may mean the same shit like monthly subscriptions for shit that should be free. If this is the case it is going to be piss annoying but meh anyway steam is better and xbox I would only use for school friends.

Overall, it is looking good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #923
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,802 Posts
    I can't get steam to update, its sticks at 99%
    I've been using the same installation since 2006, what I do is after the OS is installed, run it as administrator, restart it, it'll give you some error and ask to install the service, and it should run after it installs the service.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

4. Post #924
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    Metro apps such as music and video are reporting that my libraries are empty even though in explorer I can clearly see they have things in them. Any ideas?
    Anyone? I wouldn't mind trying out these apps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Australia Show Events

5. Post #925
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,155 Posts
    I've been using the same installation since 2006, what I do is after the OS is installed, run it as administrator, restart it, it'll give you some error and ask to install the service, and it should run after it installs the service.
    But I thought the DP can't be upgraded to CP?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

6. Post #926
    July 2009
    2,263 Posts
    Hey, can I get someone who knows dual booting to help me over here?

7. Post #927
    April 2011
    9,155 Posts
    How do you access tabs in the metro IE?

8. Post #928
    Titlepocalypse 2012 participant
    November 2010
    7,940 Posts
    Hey, can I get someone who knows dual booting to help me over here?
    You're welcome. Have fun.

Edited:

Start button or hover near the left corners of your screen.

9. Post #929
    July 2009
    2,263 Posts
    You're welcome. Have fun.
    Thanks so much!!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #930
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,635 Posts
    In the developer preview, I was able to force Metro Snap to work on screens with resolution smaller than 1400(?) horizontal pixels, Is there an workaround to do the same in the customer preview?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

11. Post #931
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,802 Posts
    But I thought the DP can't be upgraded to CP?
    Look at what I quoted again.

Right click somewhere.

12. Post #932
    [img][b][color=red]Fuck this isnt HTML[/color][/b][/img]
    February 2009
    1,560 Posts

The Developer preview looks soo much better :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 12Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #933
    November 2010
    7,940 Posts

The Developer preview looks soo much better :(
    Shit, that means they're getting worse then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

14. Post #934
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,960 Posts
    So the consumer preview isn't detecting my 560M GTX, it just shows "Microsoft basic display adapter". Drivers says it can't detect a compatible nvidia card either. What the fuck is up? It worked fine in the Developer Preview.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #935
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    Live tiles are great they said...

They show you important information they said...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13 (list)

16. Post #936
    November 2010
    7,940 Posts
    Music app should show album art.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

17. Post #937
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,960 Posts
    And fixed it. Backed up and restored my drivers with DriverMax. Installed fine. This is much better now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

18. Post #938
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    This is new. Came up after scanning a document.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

19. Post #939
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,590 Posts
    After dual booting on my laptop, I find Windows 8 a lot more usable. Some things that I thought were dumb yesterday seem useful today. Everything except the volume and media keys on my laptop work, which is annoying but not the end of the world.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

20. Post #940
    November 2009
    9,269 Posts
    I find Windows 8 much more tolerable with the start button tweak I posted. Still won't upgrade, but it's neat to play with on my laptop without the urge to uninstall it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

21. Post #941
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    732 Posts
    So after being sick and tired of this 'feature' in Windows 7, I finally manage to turn off the 'permission denied - you need admin privileges to copy this file here' on my C:\Program files\ directory, yay!

However, Windows 8 fights back:

Now Tiberian Sun won't play properly either :(.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

22. Post #942
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,696 Posts
    So after being sick and tired of this 'feature' in Windows 7, I finally manage to turn off the 'permission denied - you need admin privileges to copy this file here' on my C:\Program files\ directory, yay!

I've turned off UAC first second because it's fucking annoying. I turned it off in vista and windows 7 I will not have it on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

23. Post #943
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts

wait there are apps that refuse to open without UAC?

thats a terrible idea
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

24. Post #944
    April 2011
    9,155 Posts
    So where do I leave feedback? I really think MS should have file extensions shown my default. This is even one of the criticisms of windows listed in wikipedia (for security reasons).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #945
    August 2011
    75 Posts
    I'm not sure why people are so adverse to UAC at this point.

I agree that it was bad at the launch of Vista, when every single application ever written demanded administrator privileges (and thus bringing in the wave of "lol Vista allow/deny/allow/deny/allow/deny" jokes), but it's not as bad now that developers have got their arses into gear.

If you're forced to used legacy applications which haven't been updated, then sure, I understand wanting to turn it off, but for most people? Eh, may as well leave it on.

--

Since the thread's about Windows 8 and not UAC, I'll throw in a question. With the new Metro-based Messenger program, is there an easier way to start a conversation with a new person when already talking to someone? Currently, I'm finding myself leaving my current conversation to bring up the full-screen contact list, which is somewhat irksome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #946
    April 2011
    9,155 Posts
    Yeah I almost never see UAC anymore. Only ccleaner uses it. I recommend turning off the desktop dimming.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #947
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    732 Posts
    wait there are apps that refuse to open without UAC?

thats a terrible idea
    All of them refuse to open.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

28. Post #948
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,698 Posts
    So where do I leave feedback? I really think MS should have file extensions shown my default. This is even one of the criticisms of windows listed in wikipedia (for security reasons).
    This hasn't been a default since around Windows 2000.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #949
    July 2009
    2,263 Posts
    So, 10% of Windows 8 downloaded. I'm kinda nervous, as this is the first time I've set up a dual boot...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #950
    Alright, Metro apps critique:
    While some of them are a dream to use (Email and Messaging) they still have some stuff to iron out (It'd be nice if clicking a link would take me to my default browser in my desktop. I expect google to come out with their own Chrome metro app if that's possible. The messaging app is very unintuitive to pick up and I spent an hour figuring out that rightclick opened the options for it.)
    Some of them I can't use at all because my country doesn't exist in the eyes of M$ (weather, maps, finance and others).
    But others are outright awful and can't be even compared to the dedicated desktop programs (music is a terrible app.)

I really like the Email app, though. It's so much better than anything else i've used for simple email reading, and it integrates nicely to the OS. The Messaging app could maybe take up the space of that dark right sidebar that pops up sometimes instead of the entire screen, but otherwise it's okay.

So, 10% of Windows 8 downloaded. I'm kinda nervous, as this is the first time I've set up a dual boot...
    Just make sure you put it in it's own dedicated fresh partition and there's no chance of it fucking up anything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Argentina Show Events

31. Post #951
    ask me for a rust key :~)
    December 2008
    18,304 Posts
    Fantastic. Netgear doesn't offer a driver download for my adapter, I don't know where the disk went, and W8 doesn't know what to do with it without the internet. And it sounds like my sound card drivers are messed up as well.

yay

32. Post #952
    July 2009
    2,263 Posts
    Just make sure you put it in it's own dedicated fresh partition and there's no chance of it fucking up anything.
    I will. And all I have to do once I'm done with Win 8 is format the partition, shrink it to zero, then grow my C: drive partition to take it back up, yes?

33. Post #953
    It's faster to just delete the partition and grow your C: drive, no need to format it.

Don't use partition commander though

partition commander is an asshole and made me lose a ton of "important" files (videos of birthdays and shit that noone ever asked me to burn to a DVD or anything anyways)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Argentina Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #954
    July 2009
    2,263 Posts
    It's faster to just delete the partition and grow your C: drive, no need to format it.

Don't use partition commander though

partition commander is an asshole and made me lose a ton of "important" files (videos of birthdays and shit that noone ever asked me to burn to a DVD or anything anyways)
    I've just done everything with default software.

Edited:

So, when I tried to move the os to the thumb drive, it said unspecified error. I don't want to restart the .exe, so if I just ckick the "Install Windows" icon on my desktop, will i be given the option again?
    This may be a dumb question, but I really don't want to get fucked.

35. Post #955
    January 2008
    1,216 Posts
    for AMD GPU users, has anbody else been getting this when trying to install the new windows 8 driver?
    its impossible for me to install anything but the app sdk for some reason

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

36. Post #956
    July 2009
    2,263 Posts
    for AMD GPU users, has anbody else been getting this when trying to install the new windows 8 driver?
    Oh, shit, I use AMD.
    Fuck, I just got done repairing my mom's damn thumb drive after almost destroying the fuck out of it, I'd really rather not run into anymore major catastrophes tomorrow when I actually install the damn OS.
    I'm wondering if this is gonna be more trouble than it's worth...

37. Post #957
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,698 Posts

Try using the Steam graphics card drivers updater?

38. Post #958
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    All of them refuse to open.
    ive yet to experience this error

p much everything is working without UAC for me

39. Post #959
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    732 Posts
    ive yet to experience this error

p much everything is working without UAC for me
    Ah okay, then what's most likely caused that error is me using the registry to disable UAC (the difference here is that it also disables the permission prompts accessing the program files directory) and I guess metro doesn't like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Show Events

40. Post #960
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    Got my first BSOD today - something about a driver power state error. Happened when I hovered over the bottom left of the screen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Winner Winner x 2 (list)