1. Post #1081
    September 2011
    957 Posts
    It would be much better if we didn't had to deal with a scroll bar but instead could just hold the mouse and just drag it from anywhere.
    Or use the arrow keys to scroll, but NOPE. :/

Edited:

Only if iTunes makes an app. Desktop programs only show the name and icon.
    We still can't make/set custom tiles for apps. :/

Microsoft, I am disappoint.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

2. Post #1082
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,802 Posts
    Or use the arrow keys to scroll, but NOPE. :/

Edited:

We still can't make/set custom tiles for apps. :/

Microsoft, I am disappoint.
    I believe PgUp, PgDn, Home, and End work. At least on the start screen.

If you really wanted iTunes to show that information as an tile, you can use it's COM interface to get the info and do a lot of trickery with an app to focus iTunes' window causing the app to never really be seen.

But really a live tile for a desktop program is needless.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #1083
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    Has Segoe changed at all? I noticed it's changed as well, especially around the date and time on the taskbar.
    Maybe they've tweaked ClearType again?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Thailand Show Events

4. Post #1084
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    733 Posts
    Egh, my tiles broke.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

5. Post #1085
    I wish they made shutting down and shit more easier, like if you just press your name tile and it says "Shut down" or something.

Took me a while to find it hidden in the mini settings pallet.
    One of my first impressions of Windows 8 was 'how the hell do I shut it down?'. I've been using Alt+F4 until I've seen a picture in this thread showing where it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #1086
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,960 Posts
    Mmm, nVidia seems to think their driver rev R295's compatible with W8...

Not as if I've got anything against the default MS drivers, though.
    Boot up your main OS, which I assume is 7. Download DriverMax. Use the back up feature and save the backup up to custom location, preferably the partition you have 8 on. Boot up 8 and install DriverMax on there. Click the menu, and restore from a back up. You'll be able to click load and locate the archive you created earlier. That will force install the drivers. works fine even on the non-Windows 8 beta driver, oddly enough.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

7. Post #1087
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,436 Posts
    But really a live tile for a desktop program is needless.
    I dunno, it could be useful to me. Right now desktop apps just don't fit in with Metro apps.
    The Metro start screen could be a great information dashboard, even if you don't use a tablet - it would be really cool to just switch there, and see that you have X unread emails, that you have a song playing and etc.

But right now it kind of seems to just be a waste of space to me.
    I like Windows 8, and this Metro UI is really cool - but I'm still really unsure if it will be useful on normal computers.

Edited:

Also, in Mac OS, you have this cool feature, where you can swipe three fingers on your trackpad to switch to another desktop, and a bunch of other cool gestures. I found myself using those all the time, even when I was using a mouse.

Is there any chance of getting those to work on Windows 8? Instead of those hot corners, you could just have gestures on a trackpad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #1088
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    733 Posts
    Unfortunately for me Steam has completely stopped working and after several hours I still can't get it to run on Windows 8. I originally tried to use my old Steam installation which is installed on a separate hard drive, but that came up with 'Can not connect to steam network'. I tried deleting that and reinstalling steam completely, same problem. Tried deleting just clientregistry.blob, same problem. Tried every single fix I could scrape by with Google, same problem. Closed absolutely all processes that I could (even though this is more or less a clean install) and still it won't connect. Grr :(.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Show Events

9. Post #1089
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,667 Posts
    Holy shit.

Win+PrtScrn saves a png image to the Pictures library without having to paste and save!
    Instant buy.

But seriously, if we could change it to save to the SkyDrive folder or something, it would be extremely helpful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

10. Post #1090
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    351 Posts
    It only captures the primary monitor (note: NOT the monitor the Start Screen/main taskbar is assigned to), for those with multiple monitors. Ehhhhh. I mean that's fine for most of what I do anyway, but, come on Microsoft. At least build in the screenshot saving to the regular print screen? Please?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #1091
    Fuck yes that screenshot thing is gonna be SO USEFUL if you can edit the registry and change the location to your dropbox

Tested just for the hell of it, paint still saves jpegs as 80% quality.
    WHY MICROSOFT WHY
    NOBODY HAS A 52k ROUTER NOWADAYS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Argentina Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

12. Post #1092
    Perhaps there is a registry entry which determines the file extension or jpeg quality.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

13. Post #1093
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    I'm so done with 8. It's fantastic on my laptop, but on my desktop I've bluescreened 5 times. I've tried different drivers for my video card, tv tuner, everything. I don't know what's tripping up. Sometimes it'll just randomly reboot.

And to make it even better, every time i hover in the corner of the screen i'll either - A. Freeze up for 20 seconds, or B. - Bluescreen. I've tried avoiding the corners like the plague, but I'll inevitably hit them.

I've never been so frustrated in my life. As much as I love 8, I'm going back to 7 on the desktop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

14. Post #1094
    Creator of Exsto
    January 2009
    1,049 Posts
    League of Legends crashes in 8 for me, related to some sort of memory access error. Funny thing is, it works fine once and only once, but every game I play after that it just crashes right after the 3d portion of it comes on. Doesn't seem to be related to AMD's drivers. None fix it. :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

15. Post #1095
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,802 Posts
    Honestly I think I might drop back to 7 as well. Though annoyingly if I decide to do that I'd have to reinstall 7 on my good SSD rather than the slow SSD it's on now.

16. Post #1096
    Using 8 has convinced me to upgrade from XP to 7
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events Funny Funny x 23Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #1097
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,802 Posts
    Interesting. Just made me think of something.

Remember how when Vista came out Microsoft had a downgrade path for those wanting to use XP on OEM computers? I wonder if such a thing would happen with 8 downgrading back to 7.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #1098
    ~ ducks ~
    April 2011
    2,327 Posts
    is there a way to edit the ms metro apps without breaking them?

i tried modding the messaging app and it worked great, then when i restarted it broke and i couldnt redownload it

then i had to 'reset' windows using the dvd.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

19. Post #1099
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    10! More! Years!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Thailand Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #1100
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,436 Posts
    Windows 8 is a viral marketing campaign for Windows 7
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

21. Post #1101
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    This hasn't been a default since around Windows 2000.
    Well, Microsoft should do away with extensions but they won't. I think a wise move would be to show them by default at least. This is 2012, not 2000. The security landscape has changed.
    Without the dimming, UAC could be intercepted by viruses, making it useless. Either use it with dimming or don't use it at all.
    Actually using it without dimming will still protect you a lot, but you do have a single point of failure. I'd be curious how many of viruses actually try to click Yes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

22. Post #1102
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,802 Posts
    I would imagine that Windows Server 8 won't do too well.

What server owner would want to bother with the start screen?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

23. Post #1103
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,166 Posts
    I would imagine that Windows Server 8 won't do too well.

What server owner would want to bother with the start screen?
    How do server OS's even sell? There's Linux for that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #1104
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,802 Posts
    How do server OS's even sell? There's Linux for that.
    I don't know. There must be some reason that people use Windows Server though.

25. Post #1105
    Random guy
    March 2009
    1,951 Posts
    I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but is anyone else getting this error?

it happens when i try to open some .exe's
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #1106
    January 2012
    389 Posts
    So what's the speculation on the final release of Win8? Any guesses when it will be? Do you think it'll much different than the consumer preview?

27. Post #1107
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,802 Posts
    So what's the speculation on the final release of Win8? Any guesses when it will be? Do you think it'll much different than the consumer preview?
    I would guess mid-late October this year. It probably won't be much different.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #1108
    January 2012
    389 Posts
    I would guess mid-late October this year. It probably won't be much different.
    That sounds right. Hopefully they listen to all the feedback and add/take away what's needed.

Personally, I love it. At first it was a little confusing because of all the differences between Win7 and Win8, but once I got used to the metro style and the apps it's actually quite cool. I don't really like how some of it very much seems like it's made for tablets, but I guess it's for the better. I can't wait for the final release.

I miss the start button, though. :c
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #1109
    ~ ducks ~
    April 2011
    2,327 Posts
    Can someone with consumer preview 6.2.8250 upload/pm me their
    C:/Windows/System32/ExplorerFrame.dll ?

My friend asked me if some theme site worked for win8 so i thought why not

i clicked the exe and it patched over everything with what i assume is the win7 version so basically i have a black screen now :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #1110
    Random guy
    March 2009
    1,951 Posts
    I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but is anyone else getting this error?

it happens when i try to open some .exe's
    Please?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events

31. Post #1111
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,802 Posts
    Can someone with consumer preview 6.2.8250 upload/pm me their
    C:/Windows/System32/ExplorerFrame.dll ?

My friend asked me if some theme site worked for win8 so i thought why not

i clicked the exe and it patched over everything with what i assume is the win7 version so basically i have a black screen now :)
    95% of the time ExplorerFrame mods only change the navigation buttons which are now in the msstyles. Resources have to manually be replaced with a resource hacker. You should never drop a dll from another OS as a replacement for a newer version.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2073343/8/ExplorerFrame.dll
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

32. Post #1112
    ~ ducks ~
    April 2011
    2,327 Posts
    C:\Users\blo.000\Downloads>move ExplorerFrame.dll C:/Windows/System32
    Overwrite C:\Windows\System32\ExplorerFrame.dll? (Yes/No/All): yes
    1 file(s) moved.

C:\Users\blo.000\Downloads>

It's okay I did it! Thanks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

33. Post #1113
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,166 Posts
    Really nice comparison of an iPad 2 and Windows 8 on a tablet.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/1/283...ure-comparison

Makes iOS seem like a joke
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

34. Post #1114
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    4,017 Posts
    Did you guys have the problem with the messenger that if some one sends a message to you for them it appears like that you go offline. And is there a way to make the mail application check for mail more frequently?

Also can we expect any updates for this in the future. Also the camera application shows my webcam upside down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events

35. Post #1115
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,802 Posts
    Did you guys have the problem with the messenger that if some one sends a message to you for them it appears like that you go offline. And is there a way to make the mail application check for mail more frequently?

Also can we expect any updates for this in the future. Also the camera application shows my webcam upside down.
    Yes, I too have the messenger bug though when I asked them they said it reported I was still online. Seemed like a bug on my end.

Mail uses push.

36. Post #1116
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    4,017 Posts
    For me it looked to others like I went offline to the point that some one called me to ask what the hell was going on (had notifications off).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #1117
    August 2009
    116 Posts
    Just installed Windows 8 as a dual boot OS, it's actually pretty nice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Finland Show Events

38. Post #1118
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,763 Posts

erm

39. Post #1119
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    I don't know. There must be some reason that people use Windows Server though.
    Active Directory.

They want to make CLI work better in W8 Server though. They finally gave up on trying to make a UI for everything and the new direction is to copy Linux and provide CLI tools that work well, and then write GUIs on top of those rather than the other way around.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #1120
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,763 Posts
    Using the IE10 metro app and so far it is impressive, I love the full screen view.

I just hope Google is gonna release something like this for chrome because right now this is awesome
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)