1. Post #1681
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,519 Posts
    Hi guys,

When I tried to install windows 8 after booting from my USB, it showed the little fish thing on the screen for quite a long time and then the fish disappeared and it showed nothing on the screen :( what happened?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #1682
    Random guy
    March 2009
    1,975 Posts
    Hi guys,

When I tried to install windows 8 after booting from my USB, it showed the little fish thing on the screen for quite a long time and then the fish disappeared and it showed nothing on the screen :( what happened?
    How long did you wait at the black screen before giving up?
    Because when you first start it up it takes a while.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events

3. Post #1683
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,519 Posts
    How long did you wait at the black screen before giving up?
    Because when you first start it up it takes a while.
    im not sure, the fish wasn't going away so I went downstairs for a bit and when I came back it was a black screen. I waited a minute or two then gave up

is that too short to wait?

4. Post #1684
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    13,050 Posts
    Woa, how did Apple grant that app to the store

Awesome anyway, finally a use for the touch-based controls for desktop PCs!
    it's a remote desktop client. So it's not actually running the UI. YOu can see the win8 computer running in the background.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #1685
    October 2005
    425 Posts
    Well, I give up. I gave Windows 8 a fair try, I've been using it on my desktop and on my Inspiron Duo.

Believe me when I say, the experience on the tablet is fantastic. If it weren't for work and my programming classes at school, I could use that tablet ever day to satisfy my needs. The only issue I'm having is the duo doesn't have the processing capability to run Windows 8. One of my biggest problems is that opening the Music app results in the computer being lagged to hell as it tries to display all my album art. Not a fault of the operating system, but this little dual or quad core atom isn't going to get the job done. I haven't quite decided if I'm going to leave it on the Duo or not, because I can't remember if Windows 7 on a tablet was any better, if not ten times worse. A couple of the popular Metro apps are unuseable for me, but all I do is browse the internet on that and it works great.

Windows 8 is already gone from my desktop computer. I have to say, it was useable, but it was also way too slow for me. I found myself shying away from the Metro applications instantly, only viewing one or two items on the screen was pretty annoying. I had a good experience ducking out of metro immediately, right to the desktop, where I had pinned all my real applications to the super bar. Eventually though, after pinning IE, WMP, notepad, CMD, IBM DB2 config assistant, winsql, explorer, RDP, SQL Server management studio, Visual Studio 2010... Among other things, I just got sick of how cluttered I felt. That, and navigation was again frustrating. I don't see why the start menu button is missing, there's room for it, it'd save me a mouse gesture to get to it. The idea of a full screen start menu makes sense to me, but the live tiles on the desktop seem to just take up space. Scrolling to the right to open a program has got to be the most frustrating thing ever. The large monitor on my desktop removes that problem, but when the Duo is flipped to laptop mode it takes about 3 seconds to scroll to the other side.

I was pretty big on defending Windows 8 during the developer preview. I thought Microsoft had some great changes in the works, but now they just feel unfinished in the consumer preview, and metro makes me feel 'stuck'. It's kind of weird, during the Vista and 7 developer preview and first look and all that, I was running each of those builds days after release. I don't think I'll be applying Windows 8 to another computer until some time after it's release date.
    I agree with you. W8 has some really nice features (Syncing between systems, ability to refresh a install etc) but using Metro is like shooting yourself in your foot. Metro is seriously horrible on a multi-monitor setup anyway. Not to mention that a huge reso display is pretty much useless now seeing as how there's huge tiles to cover everything up :(

The tablet experience does look pretty awesome, and I ordered a cheap windows 7 tablet a while ago(Which is now free due to some fuck ups by the publisher, yay :D) and I can't wait to put windows 8 on it. Windows 8 looks perfect for tablets, not so much for desktops....

im not sure, the fish wasn't going away so I went downstairs for a bit and when I came back it was a black screen. I waited a minute or two then gave up

is that too short to wait?
    Perhaps your download corrupted? I'd suggest re-downloading the w8 image file.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #1686
    Tux
    October 2011
    17 Posts
    I'm actually quite excited for it if I can disable the Metro interface. I see that it boots up MUCH faster than Win. 7 or XP.

I kinda hope that Microsoft will move Windows away from its DOS base. *nix is 10 times better than DOS and will always be that way. I can see them doing that in Win. 8 and I like it. I just hope that it isn't as "touchscreen" as everyone says.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #1687
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,895 Posts
    Umm, Windows Vista and 7 are already 100% DOS-free. The command prompt just uses a DOS-like syntax, but you can easily run MSys or Cygwin to get an SH/BASH shell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5Zing Zing x 2Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

8. Post #1688
    Tux
    October 2011
    17 Posts
    ^ I learned something today
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #1689
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,822 Posts
    I kinda hope that Microsoft will move Windows away from its DOS base.
    They did 12 years ago
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

10. Post #1690
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,774 Posts
    They did 12 years ago
    But NT was released 19 years ago
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Brazil Show Events

11. Post #1691
    Titlepocalypse 2012 participant
    November 2010
    7,940 Posts
    So that's why we need DOSBox to run old DOS games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #1692
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,308 Posts
    So that's why we need DOSBox to run old DOS games.
    Well not necessarily need back when we still used 32-bit. Although DOSbox definitely resolves tons of compatibility issues.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

13. Post #1693
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    Well not necessarily need back when we still used 32-bit. Although DOSbox definitely resolves tons of compatibility issues.
    Now why did they drop 16bit support on 64bit versions of windows?

14. Post #1694
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,822 Posts
    From what I read sometimes it could cause data corruption.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 2 (list)

15. Post #1695
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    From what I read sometimes it could cause data corruption.
    are the 16 and 32bit compatibility sections of windows done inside a VM or is it actually instructing the processor to operate in a legacy mode?

16. Post #1696
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,822 Posts
    are the 16 and 32bit compatibility sections of windows done inside a VM or is it actually instructing the processor to operate in a legacy mode?
    I don't know much about how WoW works, perhaps this'll help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_on_Windows
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WoW64
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTVDM
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #1697
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,308 Posts
    From just a bit of skimming around on the internet (so I may be wrong), a 64 bit processor cannot run real mode 16 bit code while the operating system is running in 64 bit. So it seems to be a hardware limitation. However my understanding of processor modes is incredibly basic.

It probably also stems from the fact that people still needing 16 bit support probably won't be using a 64 bit OS or will run said application in a virtual machine of some sort so its not really an issue.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #1698
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,895 Posts
    I just run a Windows 98 VM on VMWare Player if I need to run 16-bit apps/games
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

19. Post #1699
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    I just run a Windows 98 VM on VMWare Player if I need to run 16-bit apps/games
    And I have a 286 IBM PC to my right with FTP functionality, so I can run most DOS text based programs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

20. Post #1700
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,822 Posts
    http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b...-editions.aspx

For anyone who can't be bothered:

SKUs: Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8 RT (WOA) (Pre-install only)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Late Late x 1 (list)

21. Post #1701
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    So Windows 8 RT will be used for projects like BartPE?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

22. Post #1702
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,895 Posts
    No, it's not a PE; it's a fully fledged OS for ARM processors. "Pre-install only" means that you can't buy it separately; it has to be preinstalled on the ARM device you buy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

23. Post #1703
    Glorious GNU/Linux Master Race
    May 2010
    5,705 Posts
    "Boot from VHD"

Definitly going to buy windows 8 Pro.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #1704
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,895 Posts
    "Boot from VHD"

Definitly going to buy windows 8 Pro.
    Hopefully I'll still be in college when it comes out so I can get it free from MSDNAA.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #1705
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    I need all the features available, so Windows 8 Pro for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #1706
    I do it all
    November 2010
    14,142 Posts
    I'm thinking of switching back to 7, windows 8 is good I'm noticing some huge differences in performance from 7 but my programs even with compatibility mode are just fucking up.

I won't lose any of my data right? I've installed a lot of new stuff over the win8 testing period I don't want to fuck it up.

Oh and I'll probably switch to 8 when they iron out the bugs, it has a nice interface I do want it.

27. Post #1707
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,308 Posts
    I'm thinking of switching back to 7, windows 8 is good I'm noticing some huge differences in performance from 7 but my programs even with compatibility mode are just fucking up.

I won't lose any of my data right? I've installed a lot of new stuff over the win8 testing period I don't want to fuck it up.

Oh and I'll probably switch to 8 when they iron out the bugs, it has a nice interface I do want it.
    You have to reformat the partition again if your planning on reinstalling Win7 to the old Win8 partition.

28. Post #1708
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    13,050 Posts
    http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b...-editions.aspx

For anyone who can't be bothered:

SKUs: Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8 RT (WOA) (Pre-install only)
    Yes, they finally did it. It was very very long overdue. That said, I wonder how long it will take before WOA roms pop up in the wilds of the internet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events

29. Post #1709
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,218 Posts
    Hopefully I'll still be in college when it comes out so I can get it free from MSDNAA.
    How does this work? Can people in community colleges get it too ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

30. Post #1710
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,308 Posts
    How does this work? Can people in community colleges get it too ?
    It depends on your school. I would ask whoever is most likely in charge of that sort of thing at your college and they could probably steer you in the right direction.

31. Post #1711
    June 2007
    2,288 Posts
    Schools pay an annual fee for it, right? If so, you'd probably know if your school was using it. If they are paying for it I don't see why they wouldn't push that information to the students as much as possible
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #1712
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,218 Posts
    Is the copy really free or some limited use key?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

33. Post #1713
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,564 Posts

Go for it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

34. Post #1714
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,822 Posts
    On MSDNAA? Free. You're allowed 1 key per version/arch.

35. Post #1715
    Gold Member

April 2009
    726 Posts
    *And I'm late!..

Real free ( Terms says that you can keep the software after you leave college/school ), and everything works like it would normally.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

36. Post #1716
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,308 Posts
    Your limited to 1 key per account per product. But it really is the full version no strings attached. Your school is paying good money for this so its not like Microsoft is getting zero return.

37. Post #1717
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    -snip-
    Go for it?
    Did you make a full backup of your system?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events

38. Post #1718
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,564 Posts
    Did you make a full backup of your system?
    Nothing to backup, really. All the important stuff I have is on another hard drive, and I installed W7 3 days ago, so it's almost completely empty.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events

39. Post #1719
    I do it all
    November 2010
    14,142 Posts
    You have to reformat the partition again if your planning on reinstalling Win7 to the old Win8 partition.
    Seriously? Fucking hell
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

40. Post #1720
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,969 Posts
    So, how does the whole MSDNAA thing work. Are all universities eligible or what?