1. Post #3681
    Guru mediation error
    July 2012
    6,945 Posts

Heh...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #3682
    December 2008
    1,072 Posts
    Emotions are great, but I don't want the software to be presenting them to me, it's quite different to using them in chat. I want my PC to be controlled by the social media network.
    Yes I've used Windows 8, it was more annoying than having iOs on my desktop. I can not stand that I'm being forced to use possibly the worst UI in history and nobody else but me has a problem with it.

Why aren't more people annoyed about the Metro UI? I feel like I'm the only one who isn't completely brainwashed by Microsoft fanboyism (I know it's not a proper word, Fuck). I've used Windows for a while, I've put up with Vista and Me but this Metro UI is going too far. Why doesn't anybody else hate it?
    I feel like I'm losing my mind.
    Have you ever thought that, maybe, if you are the only one who hates it, its not such a bad thing?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Tanzania, United Republic of Show Events

3. Post #3683
    Glorious GNU/Linux Master Race
    May 2010
    5,558 Posts
    Seems to be a bit redundant, running 2 Desktop enviroments at the same time, ontop of each other.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #3684
    Guru mediation error
    July 2012
    6,945 Posts
    Seems to be a bit redundant, running 2 Desktop enviroments at the same time, ontop of each other.
    Not to mention KDE is butt ugly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

5. Post #3685
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    i agree man
    fuck those developers for adding an emoticon in the BSOD, when im reading my computer's BSOD(i do that a lot, im a pro you see), i dont want to see characters put together to imply emotions.
    0/10 os, too unprofessional for us pro users
    Maybe they should have Xiao Xiao fights instead of an emoticon because god damn that's how I feel every time this piece of shit crashes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events

6. Post #3686
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,843 Posts
    I haven't seen anything mentioned on the subject, and since there's several hundred to choose from it wouldn't be easy determining if one was new or not.
    They could at least add size value. If you can do it with files, why not folders?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

7. Post #3687
    January 2011
    2,294 Posts
    Is there a way to upgrade to the RTM now, and if so, will I still be eligible for the $40 upgrade thing
    ATM you use the leak or you get nothing.

Edited:

Can you use Xbox Music with a folder structure? It seemed to do that when I first loaded it, but now it goes the iTunes route of sorting every single one of my songs into albums.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Australia Show Events

8. Post #3688
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,852 Posts
    They could at least add size value. If you can do it with files, why not folders?
    Because folders have to be scanned recursively.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #3689
    September 2011
    957 Posts
    So Windows 8 packaging info has been revealed:

Source
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 13Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #3690
    April 2005
    15 Posts
    I love how they look.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 7Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #3691
    May 2009
    1,612 Posts
    And I still can't be bothered to install 8 because AMD doesn't have proper graphics drivers yet.
    Use the ones for 7, the RP drivers break constantly, and the 7 ones work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

12. Post #3692
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,811 Posts
    Eww KDE. Hell on my 8 install I have the Windows 7 explorer as the default shell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

13. Post #3693
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,493 Posts
    Eww KDE. Hell on my 8 install I have the Windows 7 explorer as the default shell.
    How?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events

14. Post #3694
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,212 Posts
    Do old games run well on Windows 8?

Say like Quake 3,Unreal Tournament and Age of Empires?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iceland Show Events

15. Post #3695
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Useful Useful x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

16. Post #3696
    November 2009
    9,397 Posts

17. Post #3697
    Guru mediation error
    July 2012
    6,945 Posts
    What does this do, exactly?
    Adds the old windows 7 explorer into windows 8.
    I assume you get the old start menu too?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

18. Post #3698
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,811 Posts
    What does this do, exactly?
    It modifies a bit in 7's explorer.exe which allows it to run in Windows 8 and then sets the group policy for default shell to 7's explorer. So when you log on it starts 7's explorer instead of 8's so there's no metro whatsoever.

Edited:

Adds the old windows 7 explorer into windows 8.
    I assume you get the old start menu too?
    The MFU doesn't work though.

Edited:

I may have broke AeroLite: http://i.cubeupload.com/qlrekG.png

You get the redraw issue like this http://michaelzanussi.com/wp-content...3/ie_crash.png in the frames though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #3699
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,407 Posts
    I got called to fix my parent's Vista PC tonight, and i had no clue what to do, so there is a very real chance I'll just buy Windows 8 and install over Vista since I don't have any 7 keys

Edited:

Also the PC first tried to install Office 2003 SP3 in 2009, and as of now (2012) it has yet to succeed. 3 years(!) of failed updates in the update log. This is why parents shouldn't be given proper PCs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #3700
    August 2010
    114 Posts
    I really feel bad for you guys still running Enterprise N. Having no system codecs sucks balls. Even if you install a codec pack, some apps need the libraries and codecs that come pre-loaded with normal Windows (the ones made and signed by Microsoft). For example, the Music and Video apps from the store don't play shit and can't even read metadata. In my case the Video app was crashing instantly on launch.

I'm listing these apps as the examples I've found while I had Enterprise N installed (for like 15 minutes). Don't know other apps yet that need the Microsoft signed libraries and codecs.

Wipe and install Pro already, while that activation server is still up :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Romania Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

21. Post #3701
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    6,183 Posts
    Installing Win8 on my laptop once it arrives

Do you have to spend a few hours doing artistic stuff in photoshop making Metro icons so you don't get the weird legacy icons or is there a bank of premade icons for metro?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #3702
    November 2009
    9,397 Posts
    Installing Win8 on my laptop once it arrives

Do you have to spend a few hours doing artistic stuff in photoshop making Metro icons so you don't get the weird legacy icons or is there a bank of premade icons for metro?
    Worse than that, start screen icons are irreplaceable, to my knowledge.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #3703
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    It wouldn't take hours to make a metro icon for non-metro apps, but adding the functionality of right-clicking a program's shortcut in the start screen, and opening the options to set a manual "metro" icon override, would be damn nice, and would make the start screen less horrific when spammed with a million non-metro application shortcuts.

Edited:

Found another thread related to my post:

http://www.eightforums.com/customiza...ons-metro.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

24. Post #3704
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,811 Posts
    You can change the icons of Metro apps. You just have to do some digging. You can even run Metro apps (at least some) outside the Start screen environment.

25. Post #3705
    May 2010
    5,558 Posts
    You can change the icons of Metro apps. You just have to do some digging. You can even run Metro apps (at least some) outside the Start screen environment.
    Yea but the whole tile, and not just the icon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events

26. Post #3706
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,811 Posts
    Some of the default apps's colors are (or were) in the registry if I recall correctly.

27. Post #3707
    January 2012
    389 Posts
    Anyone upgraded to RTM? If so, is everything running fine? ALSO... where did you get it and what method did you install it?

28. Post #3708
    Dennab
    February 2008
    10,478 Posts
    I'm gonna upgrade now, as soon as it's downloaded. I'm excited.

RMT that is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #3709
    May 2010
    5,558 Posts
    Thinking about downgrading from windows 8 RP until windows 8 is released.

but still keep it on a VM.

Anyone upgraded to RTM? If so, is everything running fine? ALSO... where did you get it and what method did you install it?
    You can get it from several places, but I'm not gonna post a link. You can find it, by using google.

And to install it, you should burn it to a DVD, and boot from the DVD.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

30. Post #3710
    Dennab
    February 2008
    10,478 Posts
    Posting from W8 RTM, it's fucking amazing.

Edited:

It's freaky how fucking fast it is, literally starts in 5-10 seconds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

31. Post #3711
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,843 Posts
    Posting from W8 RTM, it's fucking amazing.

Edited:

It's freaky how fucking fast it is, literally starts in 5-10 seconds.
    I would like to see a comparison using an SSD. I already know it's faster but you know statistics are sexy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

32. Post #3712
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    6,183 Posts
    wat

I'm not upgrading to win8 until someone hacks that in then because I love the metro interface but the legacy icons just look wrong

33. Post #3713
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    252 Posts
    So how do I go about activating Win 8 Pro RTM?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3 (list)

34. Post #3714
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,852 Posts
    You don't ask here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #3715
    October 2011
    2,585 Posts
    I apologise for the typos in my previous statement. Anger messes up my typing.

Have you ever thought that, maybe, if you are the only one who hates it, its not such a bad thing?
    Well, I'll start by asking why you enjoy using a touch screen UI with mouse?
    I mean, the icon don't even get smaller as you can't change the size (such a big square for such a small icon) and the start menu takes up the entire screen (If I'm going need the entire screen for start why can't I see most of my icons?) I'm sorry if I'm missing something here but I just don't see how it's 'more advanced'.
    I suppose I have to accept that people love the idea, but I can't see why? Or why I'm the only who can see the problems. It would fine it was a version of Windows CE or something, but this is something I'm not going to be able to avoid forever.
    I mean there are so many things I hate about that metro interface I'm actually think about using mac in the future and I've never bought an Apple product in my life.
    I really wish at least one person agreed that this Metro interface is a bad idea if we're being forced to use it, I'm in the dark here. I also had the Vista RC1 version in 2006 and I could see at the time where that OS was going.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

36. Post #3716
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    3,181 Posts
    I mean, the icon don't even get smaller as you can't change the size (such a big square for such a small icon) and the start menu takes up the entire screen (If I'm going need the entire screen for start why can't I see most of my icons?)
    Because having the equivalent of a fully expanded start menu is supremely ugly and confusing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

37. Post #3717
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,465 Posts
    I mean, the icon don't even get smaller as you can't change the size (such a big square for such a small icon) and the start menu takes up the entire screen (If I'm going need the entire screen for start why can't I see most of my icons?) I'm sorry if I'm missing something here but I just don't see how it's 'more advanced'.
    I suppose I have to accept that people love the idea, but I can't see why? Or why I'm the only who can see the problems. It would fine it was a version of Windows CE or something, but this is something I'm not going to be able to avoid forever.
    I mean there are so many things I hate about that metro interface I'm actually think about using mac in the future and I've never bought an Apple product in my life.
    I really wish at least one person agreed that this Metro interface is a bad idea if we're being forced to use it, I'm in the dark here. I also had the Vista RC1 version in 2006 and I could see at the time where that OS was going.
    The Start Screen is not a touch UI. Large icons and touch screens are mutually exclusive things, it doesn't mean a touch screen needs big buttons, and big buttons don't mean it was designed for touch screens. It was designed to be easier to navigate than any iteration of the Start system yet. And it damn well looks like they pulled it off. No more trawling through folders to find something, no more precise movements to click a menu option (Start Menu items are fucking tiny, what? 16px tall?). Having the menu take up the entire screen allows it to display more, and it does scale based on resolution, you see more icons on larger resolutions, less on smaller.

The Start Screen is a very usable interface, I can tell this without even touching the damn thing just because it looks more approachable. You can sort the items in it if you desire, having things you use the most show up on the first "page", saving you having to scroll. You can group items as well if you need groups of programs easily accessible. It adds a lot of new features, and improves on the existing search functionality a ton based on MSDN blog entries. You lose no functionality at all using it, you gain functionality and all you sacrifice for that? A menu being in a compact form factor. A menu you won't even look at half the time, let alone use most of the time.

Oh, and please, do tell me where Vista "went", it was a pretty fine operating system for its time, not perfect, but not as awful as people make it out to be. And it only got better as time went on. Wait, don't tell me, you believe in the "alternating quality of Windows" shit too as well right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

38. Post #3718
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,752 Posts
    Because having the equivalent of a fully expanded start menu is supremely ugly and confusing.
    Maybe he meant something kinda like this:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #3719
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,407 Posts
    I would like to see a comparison using an SSD. I already know it's faster but you know statistics are sexy
    Not an exact comparison buuut

Edited:

I don't have the fastest SSD in the world, and it's connected via SATA-II anyway, so if you have a more up to date SSD, and SATA-III (along with no external drives plugged in. Should have unplugged those ) it'd probably boot even faster
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

40. Post #3720
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,738 Posts
    I apologise for the typos in my previous statement. Anger messes up my typing.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2...rt-screen.aspx

Read that. It explains the math behind designing the new start screen (tl;dr: you find things faster).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events