1. Post #3921
    January 2012
    389 Posts
    May be a stupid question, but what iso are you installing with? The RTM iso I used to install looked nothing like that during set up.
    It was the best one I could find torrenting. It's installed fine... I'm just trying to get it activated, that's the problem now. But I need to just be patient.

It might look so different from your installation because I ended up not installing from booting from the DVD. I noticed that it looked different...

EDIT: Build 9200, which is the latest released build right? Well... next to that one that JUST came out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #3922
    December 2008
    1,072 Posts
    Depends. Which OS are you upgrading from?
    I'm upgrading from 7
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Tanzania, United Republic of Show Events

3. Post #3923
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    188 Posts
    I just noticed that Dropbox is syncing corrupt files to my laptop with Windows 8 RP. Have anyone else experienced that?
    The files on the Dropbox web service are fine, it just seems to fail at downloading the files.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Denmark Show Events

4. Post #3924
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    6,059 Posts
    nop my dropbox works fine @ win8 pro
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #3925
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    188 Posts
    nop my dropbox works fine @ win8 pro
    Hmm. Don't know what is going on here then. I just hope it didn't re-sync any of the corrupt files. I'd better unhook this machine from Dropbox before anything really bad happens.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Denmark Show Events

6. Post #3926
    October 2009
    5,669 Posts
    going to get RTM version after my new HD Arrives

so..well after the trial period has expired does windows fucks itself or?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Venezuela Show Events

7. Post #3927
    Dennab
    February 2008
    10,478 Posts
    going to get RTM version after my new HD Arrives

so..well after the trial period has expired does windows fucks itself or?
    You get a big watermark saying activate now. It appeared in games for me. Luckily I have it activated now heh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events

8. Post #3928
    January 2012
    389 Posts
    Can one activate Win8 anymore? I'm using an activation utility and have had it running all night on the small list of kms servers I've seen and it is yet to activate.

Any help?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

9. Post #3929
    June 2007
    2,226 Posts
    They are all offline, I don't think there is any way to activate it atm. if you don't have a legit key.

You can get the Windows 8 evaluation copy though if you want to try it out, but remember that it stops working after 90 days so don't use it as a main os if you're not prepared to re-install in that time frame.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Finland Show Events

10. Post #3930
    January 2012
    389 Posts
    They are all offline, I don't think there is any way to activate it atm. if you don't have a legit key.

You can get the Windows 8 evaluation copy though if you want to try it out, but remember that it stops working after 90 days so don't use it as a main os if you're not prepared to re-install in that time frame.
    Thanks for the info. I hope they come back online soon (If ever D:). I'll stay with my current build of Win8 until there's a way to activate it. Not having it activated doesn't really affect me at the moment or from what I can notice. Just having a watermark and not being able to personalize a bit...

11. Post #3931
    August 2010
    856 Posts
    How do I get proper uptime in RP version? When I look it up in the task manager it says that the pc has ran a few days, even when I just booted.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Hungary Show Events

12. Post #3932
    "CERTIFIED" SYSTEMS BUILDER
    June 2007
    2,645 Posts
    How do I get proper uptime in RP version? When I look it up in the task manager it says that the pc has ran a few days, even when I just booted.
    cmd > "systeminfo"

then look for "system boot time"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

13. Post #3933
    January 2012
    389 Posts
    Would it be best to switch to the 90-day evaluation copy: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/eval.../jj554510.aspx

or wait for a good method on activating Win8?

Edit: The evaluation copy seems like a bad idea... well... a worse idea..

14. Post #3934
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,194 Posts
    Well, Recent Places in explorer still seems to not work properly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

15. Post #3935
    zhed+redball.jpg
    May 2010
    1,380 Posts
    Is it any start menu for windows 8 that can replace the important part from the w7 start menu?:
    (All folders + "Marius" + pictures + documents + Computer + shut down (with options))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

16. Post #3936
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,368 Posts
    you can pin the folders, for power buttons use this: http://www.labnol.org/software/shutd...ndows-8/20989/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events

17. Post #3937
    zhed+redball.jpg
    May 2010
    1,380 Posts
    In windows 7 u can only bin libraries, it isn't like that in windows 8?

edit: Or did you mean in the fullscreen menu? Because they take up a lot of space in the start menu (I'v tried)

18. Post #3938
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,368 Posts

You can pin folders.
    You can also use Start8 to make the start menu smaller
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #3939
    zhed+redball.jpg
    May 2010
    1,380 Posts
    With 14 folders it's gonna be a big space between the first and the last folder. In windows 7 it was perfect space. + everything stacked, which I liked. Can start8 make it stack more than 4 and 4?

20. Post #3940
    September 2011
    957 Posts
    I'm using Dropbox 1.5.10 on the Release Preview, and nothing bad so far. :)

21. Post #3941
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,808 Posts
    I'm upgrading from 7
    Upgrading from 7 will let you keep all programs, settings and data.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events

22. Post #3942
    Guru mediation error
    July 2012
    6,599 Posts

You can pin folders.
    You can also use Start8 to make the start menu smaller
    Start8 doesn't work properly though, you have to click on it to gain the menus focus, which is awkward.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

23. Post #3943
    March 2009
    362 Posts
    Posting this on Windows 8. Currently installing drivers, but everything looks allright so far. Even though the start menu is super zoomed in with Eyefinity it looks fine on my fourth monitor, so it's usable enough.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events

24. Post #3944
    Dennab
    February 2008
    10,478 Posts
    Guys, Dropbox isn't working for me. There is no context menu for me. Works for you?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events

25. Post #3945
    June 2007
    2,226 Posts
    Works fine for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #3946
    January 2012
    389 Posts
    Alright. My display driver keeps going out. It says something about my display driver stopping and being recovered. Anyone else getting this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #3947
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    4,725 Posts
    Alright. My display driver keeps going out. It says something about my display driver stopping and being recovered. Anyone else getting this?
    I got that a lot with my 6770 but I was using a beta driver for Windows 7. There's a final RTM driver out now, maybe that would help.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #3948
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,548 Posts
    I had that happen with the Intel drivers in my laptop today while watching YouTube.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

29. Post #3949
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,469 Posts
    what is skydrive like in metro this time round? Because I'm using skydrive for practically everything (got 25gb)

30. Post #3950
    January 2012
    389 Posts
    I got that a lot with my 6770 but I was using a beta driver for Windows 7. There's a final RTM driver out now, maybe that would help.
    There's one for nVidia? I couldn't find one...

31. Post #3951
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,808 Posts
    There's one for nVidia? I couldn't find one...
    The latest is the R302 driver, for Release Preview.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events

32. Post #3952
    Maestro
    August 2006
    2,227 Posts
    Windows 8 is fantastic. It's a massive improvement over 7. Literally the only real problem is having to leave the desktop to access the start menu. It's a huge problem and would ruin the entire experience if the performance and usability upgrade of the rest of the OS wasn't so huge.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #3953
    Dragon Member
    January 2006
    1,312 Posts
    So let's say I'm ready to purchase an upgrade copy the moment it becomes available on October 26th.
    What would be the best route to go if I wanted to get W8 on my desktop before the official release? And would I later on then have to go back to W7 and upgrade from that, or can I upgrade from e.g. the RP?

I know some of these have been answered in the thread before (at least partially), but just making sure.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

34. Post #3954
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    773 Posts
    Hey guys, don't know if this is late or not, but if you're deciding to download the MSDN version to switch from your WZR version of Windows 8, don't bother save your bandwidth. If we compare their SHA1 hashes they are completely different, but apparently the only difference is just 32 bytes of data from the install.wim file (The only difference is the digital signature at the beginning) but anyway, this doesn't make a difference whatsoever for users like us. You can stick to the normal WZR version but if you want an image exactly like the MSDN version, simply find the xdelta patches for your windows version (Professional, Enterprise, 32bit, 64bit) you can find them on Google, and download xdelta from their google page. Patch it up and you're ready to go, if we compare their SHA1 hashes now they are exactly the same. You can check the MSDN SHA1 hashes via Google, or go on MyDigitalLife or something.

Patching up the WZR release is fairly simple, just put the xdelta patch, the xdelta executable and your WZR iso in one folder, shift click and open a command window there. Simply put in the following:

(rename your xdelta executable to xdelta3.exe, your xdelta patch to xdeltapatch.xdelta and your iso to oldwzt.iso)

xdelta3.exe -d -s oldwzt.iso deltapatch.xdelta windows8msdn.iso

At the end of the day this is just a 32 byte hex edit, either patch it up with xdelta or change it yourself (Google is your friend)

Hope that I helped! Enjoy Windows 8 and all it's glory.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Malta Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

35. Post #3955
    March 2010
    410 Posts
    where else can I download the win8 preview, this ISO keeps getting corrupted and its annoying the shit out of me, last time I found a way that downloaded it right to your pc and it wasnt some BS, thing is i didnt realize i had to update my drivers too so i just went back to win 7 and now I cant remember where I got it.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/29/28...nsumer-preview
    i dont know, seems this doesnt work anymore as there only offering the ISO way, and 4x the ISO has been corrupted on me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

36. Post #3956
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,020 Posts
    Is there any way to "reinstall" the store? Nothing happens when I'm trying to open it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events

37. Post #3957
    March 2009
    362 Posts
    Hey guys, don't know if this is late or not, but if you're deciding to download the MSDN version to switch from your WZR version of Windows 8, don't bother save your bandwidth. If we compare their SHA1 hashes they are completely different, but apparently the only difference is just 32 bytes of data from the install.wim file (The only difference is the digital signature at the beginning) but anyway, this doesn't make a difference whatsoever for users like us. You can stick to the normal WZR version but if you want an image exactly like the MSDN version, simply find the xdelta patches for your windows version (Professional, Enterprise, 32bit, 64bit) you can find them on Google, and download xdelta from their google page. Patch it up and you're ready to go, if we compare their SHA1 hashes now they are exactly the same. You can check the MSDN SHA1 hashes via Google, or go on MyDigitalLife or something.

Patching up the WZR release is fairly simple, just put the xdelta patch, the xdelta executable and your WZR iso in one folder, shift click and open a command window there. Simply put in the following:

(rename your xdelta executable to xdelta3.exe, your xdelta patch to xdeltapatch.xdelta and your iso to oldwzt.iso)

xdelta3.exe -d -s oldwzt.iso deltapatch.xdelta windows8msdn.iso

At the end of the day this is just a 32 byte hex edit, either patch it up with xdelta or change it yourself (Google is your friend
    Hope that I helped! Enjoy Windows 8 and all it's glory.
    So does this mean if I installed using the stock WZR image, I wont be able to activate windows with a legit retail/MSDN key?

edit: nevermind, my reading sucks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #3958
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    I was also disappointed that we still have the vista-era pre-installation installer for the RTM. Really, Microsoft?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #3959
    Glorious GNU/Linux Master Race
    May 2010
    5,162 Posts
    I was also disappointed that we still have the vista-era pre-installation installer for the RTM. Really, Microsoft?
    im disappointed that we still have win95 Icons along with the metro ones.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

40. Post #3960
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    20,853 Posts
    So, I used the repair disk to fix my MBR
    It uses the vista launcher for some reason now...
    Still runs fine though, so I'm not complaining.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)