1. Post #161
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,569 Posts
    uploading now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #162
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    2,539 Posts
    hey nerds
    get to page 32 so i can post this

and how it should be an ammo type
    Misspell monolith in google search?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #163
    November 2010
    510 Posts
    I'm having performance issues with SGM. Any recommendations for optimizing it? I'm using the version with BlackByte tweaks.
    Delete the blackbyte version and download SGM 2.0

2.0 performance is better than 1.7, they optimized a lot of stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events

4. Post #164
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,029 Posts
    Misspell monolith in google search?
    Monolit is generic slavic variant/pronounciation of monolith.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Informative Informative x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #165
    September 2011
    172 Posts
    Wiping out Army Warehouses is damn hard.
    When snipers with Dragunovs and dudes with SIGs targeted kilotonnes of hot plumbum towards me, shit was epic.
    Never in my life I had picked up so much weapons, unloaded them, to get the last bits of precious ammo.

And lastly, 127m headshot with Abakan. Feelin' liek a man.

P.S. Those bloodsuckers in the village were rude motherfuckers, too. Hate their extensive cloaking.

MONOLITH!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events

6. Post #166
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    17,986 Posts
    Should have made the title: We have Fashion Designers and Wizard Difficulty, does Metro?
    Oh, there's always someone to dick measure with i guess
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #167
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,059 Posts
    In COP when you're given a mission to find the personalized Vintorez, can anyone find that? or is it just a bad glitch? I know I've never been able to find it in my 3+ play throughs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

8. Post #168
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    2,539 Posts
    In COP when you're given a mission to find the personalized Vintorez, can anyone find that? or is it just a bad glitch? I know I've never been able to find it in my 3+ play throughs.
    SGM, you mean? It spawns in 5 possible locations, let me just grab the video.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #169
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,059 Posts
    SGM, you mean? It spawns in 5 possible locations, let me just grab the video.
    Yes and thank you. I would have never found that out by myself.

10. Post #170
    Japanese Cerberus
    Dennab
    August 2011
    8,076 Posts
    I finally discovered what "monolith" means.
    "A hivemind; united system"

Funny.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #171
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,569 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 8Funny Funny x 6 (list)

12. Post #172
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    7,069 Posts
    -snipitty snap-
    I like the massive amounts of clipping on the ironsight for the TOZ-34 (On the right side, in the arm)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #173
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    2,539 Posts
    1 round of 5.45? That's Redux alright.

Edited:

Is the gaskmask HUD a placeholder?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

14. Post #174
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,569 Posts
    I like the massive amounts of clipping on the ironsight for the TOZ-34 (On the left side, in the arm)
    i guess you mean right side, not left?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #175
    October 2005
    7,069 Posts
    Heh, I giggled a bit.

Edited:

i guess you mean right side, not left?
    aaa yeah, sorry. It's been a long day. Mixing up my left and right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

16. Post #176
    November 2010
    2,585 Posts
    *Ruthless murder of innocent stalkers*
    I totally love the way the swamps look with the AF 3 and all the good Redux stuff like the HUD is still there but the helmet HUD looks a bit...cardboardish and view-blocking(as well as clipping with the screen somewhat) Is that a placeholder helmet HUD or the final one ?

and yeah that's a placeholder
    That's a relief.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

17. Post #177
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,569 Posts
    looks nice doesn't it?

and yeah that's a placeholder
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #178
    Japanese Cerberus
    Dennab
    August 2011
    8,076 Posts
    dat dartgun

19. Post #179
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,569 Posts
    fun fact, when your stamina gets low, there's a breath effect on the mask and synced breathing noise that increase in frequency as stamina lowers

Edited:

dat dartgun
    i was very pleased with the headshot on the first guy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 9 (list)

20. Post #180
    Japanese Cerberus
    Dennab
    August 2011
    8,076 Posts
    fun fact, when your stamina gets low, there's a breath effect on the mask and synced breathing noise that increase in frequency as stamina lowers

Edited:

i was very pleased with the headshot on the first guy
    I have a slight complaint about the overlay though. It's way too intrusive, in real life your eyes would adjust a little to ignore the mask around the goggle areas, making it just and just visible from the corner from your eye. If you'd actually look at it, though, of course it'd become bigger.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

21. Post #181
    October 2005
    7,069 Posts
    I never liked the gasmask overlays, personally. Never helped immersion at all for me..mainly since most of the immersion I have is within the sound environment. Also, do something about that constant wind noise - it doesn't work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

22. Post #182
    November 2010
    2,585 Posts
    Speaking about the atmosphere : I don't know if I'm with the majority on this one but I think that the S.T.A.L.K.E.R ambience should be way less music-y and more sounds of nature or eerie quiet.

The default "music", especially the CoP one is sort of hampering of my efforts to actually immerse myself into the game world.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #183
    Japanese Cerberus
    Dennab
    August 2011
    8,076 Posts
    Also, please include a music player similar to SGM, I loved dat :3c

24. Post #184
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,903 Posts
    Speaking about the atmosphere : I don't know if I'm with the majority on this one but I think that the S.T.A.L.K.E.R ambience should be way less music-y and more sounds of nature or eerie quiet.

The default "music", especially the CoP one is sort of hampering of my efforts to actually immerse myself into the game world.
    Nonsense, I enjoy gunning down my foes with the Bandit groove playing. Vastly increases the realism.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Gibraltar Show Events

25. Post #185
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    18,889 Posts
    I never liked the gasmask overlays, personally. Never helped immersion at all for me..mainly since most of the immersion I have is within the sound environment. Also, do something about that constant wind noise - it doesn't work.
    It just doesn't seem possible to do gasmasks properly in STALKER. Metro did them amazingly well.

Edited:

CoP ambience isn't very good in my opinion, I prefer the SoC ones even though they are a bit "musicy" at times. Dat Yantar track.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

26. Post #186
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,569 Posts
    I have a slight complaint about the overlay though. It's way too intrusive, in real life your eyes would adjust a little to ignore the mask around the goggle areas, making it just and just visible from the corner from your eye. If you'd actually look at it, though, of course it'd become bigger.
    don't worry it's a placeholder :)

it'll be optional

and really? why not?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

27. Post #187
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    2,539 Posts
    It just doesn't seem possible to do gasmasks properly in STALKER. Metro did them amazingly well.

Edited:

CoP ambience isn't very good in my opinion, I prefer the SoC ones even though they are a bit "musicy" at times. Dat Yantar track.
    well, I suppose it depends if it's possible to come up with a gasmask overlay that isn't a flat texture. Metro had the advantage that the gasmask was just a screen design, they didn't have to include unbelievable eye holes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

28. Post #188
    Gum
    July 2011
    1,192 Posts
    You guys must've been having fun while I've been in the middle of the tedious task of iron sight aligning.
    Oh well, here's progress so far. I'm off to bed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Funny Funny x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

29. Post #189
    October 2005
    7,069 Posts
    don't worry it's a placeholder :)

it'll be optional

and really? why not?
    It loops too audibly. It'd get on my nerves really easily.

Edited:

The music in CoP is pretty...eh. It's TOO music-y. The ambient tracks in SoC are amazing, though. They manage to be just the right volume to not be distracting.
    I actually made myself a little minimod that played different tracks from different times..Morning would be Radwind, noon would be general Cordon/Garbage/Army Warehouses ambience, evening would be the Chnpp ambience, nights would be silent, and underground would be things like Rads Pt. 1.
    I wish I still had that minimod. I was an idiot and deleted that experimental gamedata folder because it was 6 GB in size

30. Post #190
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,569 Posts
    It loops too audibly. It'd get on my nerves really easily.
    well you sir have better hearing than I do! i personally like the wind ambience, it'd be too quiet otherwise I think - anyone else got any opinion?

31. Post #191
    October 2005
    7,069 Posts
    well you sir have better hearing than I do! i personally like the wind ambience, it'd be too quiet otherwise I think - anyone else got any opinion?
    Play with the ambient setup, try make the sound quieter and add different wind sounds for variation. (Are you using ambient configs or pre-placed sounds in the editor?)

32. Post #192
    November 2010
    2,585 Posts
    The music in CoP is pretty...eh. It's TOO music-y
    To be fair some things I liked in CoP ambience like the distant loudspeaker mumbles in Jupiter and the whispers in nighttime Pripyat but other than that I'd much rather have sounds of nature and peace with the occasional (but rare) sound of distant gunfire or animal sounds than have my ears constantly being occupied some irritating music loop.

I hate to mention Misery but I liked the russian "distress calls" followed by radio static that come occasionally.

The wind ambience isn't bad as long as it's at least a bit varied and not constant.

Edited:

Speaking of sounds I love certain locational sound effects in S.T.A.L.K.E.R, particularly the extremely haunting sounds of machinery near Forester's Tower.

33. Post #193
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,569 Posts
    the wind is pre-placed sounds, hence it's constant and changes volume as you move, rather than just playing intermittently among other ambient sounds

34. Post #194
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    2,539 Posts
    To be fair some things I liked in CoP ambience like the distant loudspeaker mumbles in Jupiter and the whispers in nighttime Pripyat but other than that I'd much rather have sounds of nature and peace with the occasional (but rare) sound of distant gunfire or animal sounds than have my ears constantly being occupied some irritating music loop.

I hate to mention Misery but I liked the russian "distress calls" followed by radio static that come occasionally.
    red forest ambient rustles

*sits in corner, crying to self*

Even with a pimped out RPK and Bulat, and three buddies similarly armed, just the ambient rustles in Red Forest scared me.

Even though I knew nothing made that sound.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #195
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    18,889 Posts
    I don't like having random gunshots and yells in the BGM since you can tell that they're not actually events occurring in the game. If there was a decent sound system and better weapon sounds it'd be much more creepy to hear gunfire erupt across the map and then slowly die out with accompanying screams.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #196
    October 2005
    7,069 Posts
    the wind is pre-placed sounds, hence it's constant and changes volume as you move, rather than just playing intermittently among other ambient sounds
    Is it possible to script it so it changes depending on time of day? I'm not too certain on how stuff like that works so sorry if it's not possible..

Edited:

I don't like having random gunshots and yells in the BGM since you can tell that they're not actually events occurring in the game. If there was a decent sound system and better weapon sounds it'd be much more creepy to hear gunfire erupt across the map and then slowly die out with accompanying screams.
    Welll, that's kind of possible but it'd be really tough on your system. If you really wanted to you could set the A-Life online distance to a stupidly high value. But this is extremely buggy and breaks quests a lot, and stalkers tend to get stuck when they hear/see a stalker from all the way across the map.
    Also, I believe X-Ray still supports sound extensions eg reverb but they're only used sparingly in SoC (RMA seems to restore them in most of the maps interestingly) and not at all in CS/CoP. I wonder if the EAX effects still work in the newer engine versions?

37. Post #197
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,029 Posts
    red forest ambient rustles

*sits in corner, crying to self*

Even with a pimped out RPK and Bulat, and three buddies similarly armed, just the ambient rustles in Red Forest scared me.

Even though I knew nothing made that sound.
    First time heading there on my third playthrough.

"Man, I should have stayed back in the Garba---OH FUCK WHAT WAS THAT?!"

Then I proceeded to hide in that mine shaft next to Devilish Encampment, shining a flashlight at the exit the whole night.

Edited:

Is it possible to script it so it changes depending on time of day? I'm not too certain on how stuff like that works so sorry if it's not possible..
    Shouldn't it be fit to weather?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events

38. Post #198
    October 2005
    7,069 Posts
    "Man, I should have stayed back in the Garba---OH FUCK WHAT WAS THAT?!"

Edited:

Shouldn't it be fit to weather?
    Time of day or weather, I suppose. But he did say he's using pre-placed sounds, and I'm not sure to what extent those can be controlled by scripts.

39. Post #199
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    18,889 Posts
    Welll, that's kind of possible but it'd be really tough on your system. If you really wanted to you could set the A-Life online distance to a stupidly high value. But this is extremely buggy and breaks quests a lot, and stalkers tend to get stuck when they hear/see a stalker from all the way across the map.
    Also, I believe X-Ray still supports sound extensions eg reverb but they're only used sparingly in SoC (RMA seems to restore them in most of the maps interestingly) and not at all in CS/CoP. I wonder if the EAX effects still work in the newer engine versions?
    It wouldn't be that resource intensive, to be honest. Battlefield 3 has amazing sounds (most of it is just recording with different mic setups from different distances) and it runs better than STALKER pretty often.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #200
    October 2005
    7,069 Posts
    It wouldn't be that resource intensive, to be honest. Battlefield 3 has amazing sounds (most of it is just recording with different mic setups from different distances) and it runs better than STALKER pretty often.
    Different engines, though. X-Ray is not meant for large-scale online A-Life..
    Plus a good chunk of X-Ray has barely changed since 2004 still