1. Post #3921
    November 2010
    2,614 Posts
    While it would certainly be an interesting to explore the past exploits of Strelok but having yet another game focused on him especially when S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 is supposed to star him feels kind of excessive and limiting. We already know what happens to Strelok and his gang so there'd be no real surprises in terms of the story nor would there be a chance to join factions while remaining true to the lore.

As for seeing the Zone of ~2010, Way of the Wolf was supposed to be like that but unfortunately the project kind of "hit a snag" unfortunately.

I'd really love a spinoff game where you get to play as Ghost during his mercenary days after Strelok's Group fell apart, tho.
    You could do that in a mod for the incoming Lost Alpha or SoC / Clear Sky since his activity during those days was probably limited largely to the SoC / CS areas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

2. Post #3922
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    2,555 Posts
    I'd really love a spinoff game where you get to play as Ghost during his mercenary days after Strelok's Group fell apart, tho.
    Tomb Raider, but set in the catacombs and underground facilities of the zone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #3923
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,123 Posts
    You could do that in a mod for the incoming Lost Alpha or SoC / Clear Sky since his activity during those days was probably limited largely to the SoC / CS areas.
    It could be possible to get it modded as a variant of freeplay for SoC or CS, Lost Alpha kind of changes things around too much for it to fit into STALKER Release universe.

Also here's another generic Gmod screenshot which I made because I had no idea what to do in the afternoon.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

4. Post #3924
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    2,555 Posts
    It could be possible to get it modded as a variant of freeplay for SoC or CS, Lost Alpha kind of changes things around too much for it to fit into STALKER Release universe.
    Actually, one thing that could work for a sort of more contained short co-op game would be procedurally generated X-Labs and stuff. Team of 1-4 Stalkers, pick weapons and the start. Fight through hordes of mutants and zombies to recover docs/deactivate emitters etc. It's be easier than open world co-op, but of course not as good.

5. Post #3925
    June 2010
    1,813 Posts
    this forum needs a strikethrough button for correcting mistakes without looking revisionist and making hilarious jokes.
    It does. You have to use del tags. For example,

[del]Blah blah blah[/del

Will make: Blah blah blah (If you add the final bracket of course)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

6. Post #3926
    November 2010
    2,614 Posts
    Actually, one thing that could work for a sort of more contained short co-op game would be procedurally generated X-Labs and stuff. Team of 1-4 Stalkers, pick weapons and the start. Fight through hordes of mutants and zombies to recover docs/deactivate emitters etc. It's be easier than open world co-op, but of course not as good.
    I think that could replace the deathmatch as the MP portion of S.T.A.L.K.E.R rather than being a stand-alone game.

GSC gets to slap "Also features 4-player Co-op MP" in the back of the game box.
    Modders could try transferring the SP map to bro-op game and GSC doesn't have to waste their resources in doing a full co-op for S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 and aren't responsible for the instability / balance issues of the co-op because it's an unofficial mod.

picture
    I can't understand for the life of me why GSC replaced the gas mask eyeholes with black circles in Clear Sky and CoP when the original masks were so much better. The models became crappier overall and diminished in variety as well.

7. Post #3927
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,123 Posts
    I can't understand for the life of me why GSC replaced the gas mask eyeholes with black circles in Clear Sky and CoP when the original masks were so much better. The models became crappier overall and diminished in variety as well.
    On the PBF gas mask look a like? Yeah, I found it very weird, but I guess they could pass it off as tinted glass. The games do take place in summer, after all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events

8. Post #3928
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,058 Posts
    I honestly forgot stalker even had a multiplayer portion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #3929
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    2,555 Posts
    New trenchcoat skin?

Jokes aside, the story behind this guy is cool if very sparse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

10. Post #3930
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,718 Posts
    I'm pretty sure that it's canon that when Strelok, Fang and Ghost reached the CNPP the first couple of times the place was virtually empty because Monolith hasn't picked it's own ass up yet and secured everything North of Red Forest.

I'd like a spinoff that involves you playing as Nimble, or possibly a member of Clear Sky who managed to survive. Nimble is honestly a G, and I refused the Sid mission in OGSE to kill him. Screw that, he hasn't slept in three days.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #3931
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts
    You can set it so you spawn with it, but you'd have to start a new game.
    how so? pls tell meh!

also how do i make myself start off with some money as well as some calibration kits (i want more than one kit so i can save it for another mechanic)?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

12. Post #3932
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    20,237 Posts
    how so? pls tell meh!

also how do i make myself start off with some money as well as some calibration kits (i want more than one kit so i can save it for another mechanic)?
    gamedata/configs/gameplay/character_desc_general.xml
    Edit with notepad or your preferred basic text editor. In Redux, the section you want to edit looks like this right at the top of the file:
    Code:
    		<supplies>
    			[spawn] \n

device_torch \n
    			wpn_binoc \n
    			wpn_knife \n
    			suit_redux_bodyarmour \n
    			helm_hardhat \n
    			wpn_pm_actor  \n
    			wpn_ak74u \n
    #include "gameplay\character_redux_start.xml"
        </supplies>
    First off, a few things you need to note. /n signifies the start of a new line, so always put it after each item you want to add.
    If you want more than one item, you add "= number", where number is of course unicorn farts. For example:
    Code:
    	ammo_vog-25 = 2 \n
    If an amount is not specified, it defaults to 1.

You can also change the probability of spawning with an item. The file mentioned there in #include is a uniquely Redux addition which has a list of consumables the player has a chance of spawning with.
    Code:
    medkit = 1, prob=0.6 \n
    bandage = 2, prob=0.5 \n
    bread = 1, prob=0.4 \n
    vodka = 1, prob=0.3 \n
    conserva2_sr = 1, prob=0.2 \n
    stew_sr = 1, prob=0.1 \n
    energy_drink_sr = 1, prob=0.1 \n
    energy_drink1_sr = 1, prob=0.075 \n
    antirad = 1, prob=0.6 \n
    helm_hardhat = 1, prob=0.5 \n
    ammo_5.45x39_fmj = 1, prob=1 \n
    ammo_9x18_fmj = 1, prob=1 \n
    "prob=" changes the chance of spawning with an item. Only values between 0 and 1 are accepted, these correspond to the percentage chance of spawning with an item.
    For example, "bandage = 2, prob=0.5 \n" means you have a 50% chance to receive each of the 2 bandages. I'm not particularly brilliant at maths, but I think that equates to a 25% chance to get both. If this is not added, the chance to get the item defaults to 100%.

Reason I tell you this is to teach you the fundamentals of editing this type of file, so you'll be well-equipped to make your own changes in the future.

Now, the base name of the item you want, namely the calibration toolkit can be found in quest_items.ltx, it's name is toolkit_3 (with toolkit_1 and 2 of course referring to basic and fine)

Add to character_desc_general.xml the following line in the [spawn] section for the actor, at the very top of the file:
    Code:
    toolkit_3 = 2 \n
    Edited:

To change the money the player has, I believe you edit this line in the same file, underneath [spawn]

Code:
        <money min="100"  max="100"  infinitive="0"/>
    Fairly self-explanatory, though I have no idea what "infinitive=0" is for, so don't touch that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events

13. Post #3933
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts
    god damn you are the greatest, thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

14. Post #3934
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    2,555 Posts
    Fairly self-explanatory, though I have no idea what "infinitive=0" is for, so don't touch that.
    I discovered this while messing around the other day, but when infinitive=1 money will never be deducted from you. So with 100 RU and infinitive=1, you could buy an infinite number of items priced at 100 RU or less, but none priced at 101 RU or more. Of course, you can buy an item at 100 RU, sell it for, say, 50 RU, and end up 150 RU so you can now buy an infinite number of items with a price of 150 RU or less.

So if you want to be able to buy anything, put infinitive=1, but also set your starting money as 1000000 or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #3935
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,058 Posts
    how so? pls tell meh!

cheaters never prosper
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

16. Post #3936
    ☆Artist of Science☆
    August 2010
    5,273 Posts

Nothing is better than sitting next to a campfire and waiting for a flesh to be roasted.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Vietnam Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

17. Post #3937
    why
    November 2007
    293 Posts
    For some reason part of the gas mask reminds me of Wall-E

Or that the stalker replaced that part with binoculars

18. Post #3938
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,718 Posts

Nothing is better than sitting next to a campfire and waiting for a flesh to be roasted.
    It looks like he's taking a shit while waiting for it to cook. Seriously, you can see the strain in his face as he trying to pop out that boar hoof.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #3939
    September 2009
    2,079 Posts
    It looks like he's taking a shit while waiting for it to cook. Seriously, you can see the strain in his face as he trying to pop out that boar hoof.
    how can you see any strain
    hes wearing a gasmask

20. Post #3940
    Gum
    July 2011
    1,216 Posts

This made me think up a small scenario where a couple loners start a farm in the Zone replacing the usual farm animals with mutants found in the Zone. Mind you, my twisted mind turned that instantly into something about chained up bloodsucker females rigged to milking machines and other fun stuff like that.

Edited:

hes wearing a gasmask
    True stalkers...

21. Post #3941
    ☆Artist of Science☆
    August 2010
    5,273 Posts
    For some reason part of the gas mask reminds me of Wall-E

Or that the stalker replaced that part with binoculars
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Vietnam Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #3942
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    3,839 Posts
    Any texture mods for Call of Pripyat that give you high res textures for the weapons?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

23. Post #3943
    December 2010
    2,558 Posts
    STALKER's weapons never seem to get a lot of love in the reskin/HD department. Even the bigger, nicer mods usually just leave them alone.

24. Post #3944
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts
    especially the fucking reload sounds.

they're all WAY off sync sometimes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

25. Post #3945
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    3,839 Posts
    Alright thanks, I just got Atmosfear and 2 mods that gave higher res textures to all the buildings and vegetation and ground and those weapons now look out of place but no big deal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

26. Post #3946
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,718 Posts
    hes wearing a gasmask
    That just went right over your head, didn't it? Also, if I recall right, masks move when stalkers talk.

27. Post #3947
    ☆Artist of Science☆
    August 2010
    5,273 Posts
    -snip- i feel like an idiot now.

Just reinstalled. Messed with the weapons upgrades.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Vietnam Show Events

28. Post #3948
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts
    ahhh, startin off with an SVU is niceeee
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events

29. Post #3949
    ☆Artist of Science☆
    August 2010
    5,273 Posts
    How do i make each upgrade adds "x" amount of additional damages?

"hit_power = +0.03" didn't work
    and
    I don't like sitting all day caculating what to upgrade first and what to upgrade later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Vietnam Show Events

30. Post #3950
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,123 Posts
    ahhh, startin off with an SVU is niceeee
    Only if it's loaded with bolts.

Edited:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/dynamic-shaders

Hm, what do you guys think about this shader mod? It looks pretty interesting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #3951
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    18,736 Posts
    Damn, I want Redux 2 badly
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #3952
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,167 Posts
    Well, work on it is progressing forward.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events

33. Post #3953
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts
    what's so special about redux 2?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events

34. Post #3954
    November 2010
    2,614 Posts
    what's so special about redux 2?
    New quests

Magazine system

New areas that are incorporated in the storyline

More hostility in areas

Challenging features like air filters to gas masks

New sick sex fics by Paravin

StalkComms system similar to AMK

More "hardcore" and survival-oriented gameplay in general

Edited:

The reason I'm looking forward to Redux 2 is unlike mods like SGM, Dead City 4.80 or SMRTR, Redux 2.0 adds content that is consistent with the rest of the game and doesn't add a lot of crap that doesn't necessarily fit in the game's atmosphere.

also i think in freeroam you should be able to radio in a chopper that drops in backup millitary troops to assist you. you control the squad by conversing with the squad leader.
    Wouldn't make much sense considering how many choppers they have lost already and how stretched-out the military troops are.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

35. Post #3955
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    20,237 Posts
    Just read through their ModDB page, it gives plenty of info
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-pripyat-redux

Edited:

automerge deaded :c
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events

36. Post #3956
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts
    well fuck i just started a new game though some of those features don't seem all that appealing to me...

also i think in freeroam you should be able to radio in a chopper that drops in backup millitary troops to assist you. you control the squad by conversing with the squad leader.

Edited:

in my opinion redux is the true game, cop is just like alpha or some shit.

seriously, it pissed me off that in all stalker games everyone is a mother fucking bullet sponge. it makes combat so incredibly unsatisfying.

but now i can whip out my M9, go into iron sights and practically go full auto on a target or two and not doubt for a second they'd be fucking dead no matter what. it's so satisfying to take on large groups now because it actually requires skills and fast reflexes. i mean shit yesterday i killed 5 bandits in one USP magazine. this mod gives me a raging hardon just for the realistic damage system.

BULLETS SHOULD BE FUCKING BULLETS, IT DON'T MATTER WHAT SIZE OR SHAPE OR WHERE IT COMES FROM, IT'S A METALLIC OBJECT GOING FASTER THAN THE SPEED OF SOUND, IT SHOULDN'T TAKE MORE THAN A FEW OF THEM TO TAKE ANYONE OUT (barring exosuits and shit) PERIOD.

i think that's what i hated about the original stalker the most.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events Disagree Disagree x 9Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #3957
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,058 Posts
    well fuck i just started a new game though some of those features don't seem all that appealing to me...

Edited:

in my opinion redux is the true game, cop is just like alpha or some shit.

seriously, it pissed me off that in all stalker games everyone is a mother fucking bullet sponge. it makes combat so incredibly unsatisfying.

but now i can whip out my M9, go into iron sights and practically go full auto on a target or two and not doubt for a second they'd be fucking dead no matter what. it's so satisfying to take on large groups now because it actually requires skills and fast reflexes. i mean shit yesterday i killed 5 bandits in one USP magazine. this mod gives me a raging hardon just for the realistic damage system.

BULLETS SHOULD BE FUCKING BULLETS, IT DON'T MATTER WHAT SIZE OR SHAPE OR WHERE IT COMES FROM, IT'S A METALLIC OBJECT GOING FASTER THAN THE SPEED OF SOUND, IT SHOULDN'T TAKE MORE THAN A FEW OF THEM TO TAKE ANYONE OUT (barring exosuits and shit) PERIOD.

i think that's what i hated about the original stalker the most.
    get out of here, stalker.
    now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #3958
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    2,555 Posts
    i dont think you belong in this thread, buddy.
    why not? he's allowed to play stalker the way he wants to. I wouldn't enjoy the way he plays, but that's why I don't play that way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #3959
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,123 Posts
    STALKER's NPC's are weaklings when it comes to health levels compared to NPCs from other games, unless you count the Clear Sky wounded animations.

Also bullets don't exactly kill everyone with a single shot. You can blow both arms off a man with a machine gun and he'd still be alive and kicking(on the floor) until he dies from blood loss or shock a while later. There's also the fact that majority of suits in STALKER are made from kevlar and metal alloys made to protect the wearer from bullets and anomalous corrosion. Bandits just can't afford them.

The reinforcements thing is also very stupid and would make no sense, because the universe already established that it's next to impossible to drive a helicopter through The Zone, let alone risk one plus troop soldiers for a single man. Ukrainian Air Force is a huge joke when it comes to helicopters, too. If you count up all the helicopters that (can) get destroyed they pretty much wasted half of their air force on jack shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

40. Post #3960
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    2,555 Posts
    STALKER's NPC's are weaklings when it comes to health levels compared to NPCs from other games, unless you count the Clear Sky wounded animations.

Also bullets don't exactly kill everyone with a single shot. You can blow both arms off a man with a machine gun and he'd still be alive and kicking(on the floor) until he dies from blood loss or shock a while later. There's also the fact that majority of suits in STALKER are made from kevlar and metal alloys made to protect the wearer from bullets and anomalous corrosion. Bandits just can't afford them.

The reinforcements thing is also very stupid and would make no sense, because the universe already established that it's next to impossible to drive a helicopter through The Zone, let alone risk one plus troop soldiers for a single man. Ukrainian Air Force is a huge joke when it comes to helicopters, too. If you count up all the helicopters that (can) get destroyed they pretty much wasted half of their air force on jack shit.
    I think the portrayal of choppers in STALKER is, as with many things, a bit messed up. I'd presume the Hinds used were Ukrainian Ground Forces choppers (in real world terms they posses roughly the same amount of Hinds as their Air Force). Helicopters can make their way to the centre of the Zone (see Assault on the NPP), and Sakharov doesn't seem to think too much of calling in two (I think it was two) helicopters to destroy zombies who weren't posing an immediate threat, although of course Yantar is not as deep into the Zone as the NPP. However, the idea of Degty, an undercover USS agent (as someone noted a while back the USS are not part of the military chain of command, being able to call in a chopper is a bit absurd. Given what they found out the reasons for Fairway failing were (anomalies in the sky), and the fact they probably don't have the cash to fit their helicopters with Svarogs any time soon, all flights would be kept to bare minimum.