1. Post #1481
    November 2010
    2,613 Posts
    But if they raided old military bunkers, they wouldn't have stuff like G36s and F2000s.
    Yeah, but the C-Con operations in the Zone were multinational(according to old betas) and they continued until 2006 so there's no reason why they couldn't have those stockpiled too.

Also, a fair amount of the western weapons probably come from all the converts and then get redistributed to important squads closer to the center.

But if they had outside contacts, they'd still have to get it to the center of the zone, and moving such large ammounts of supplies would be pretty dangerous, and wouldn't be unnoticed by Duty/Freedom, and the Bandits
    There are untold amount of routes to the center of the Zone. We cannot judge the real geography of the Zone according to the extremely limited maps of the games, none of which may be canonically correct because it keeps changing the whole time.

Edited:

What I'm saying is that even in the SoC and Clear Sky maps there's a shittonne of territory between the maps that is grayed out. Going there is out of the question because of gameplay reasons but in the lore there are paths that hard to find but which can be navigated ?

For example : How did Garik find his way to Pripyat in CoP ? He sure as hell didn't take the tunnel route so he found another way. The Monolith must be the same and has numerous scouts and guides find paths through which to smuggle in goods. Then there are the Death Trucks which are used to bring Monolith agents to stalker hubs so they can be used to transport food and other supplies as well.

Doesn't the C-Con have help from the outside of the Zone?
    You can bet that there are members of The Group in the Ukrainian gubbermint and they don't want their involvement found out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

2. Post #1482
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,718 Posts
    Doesn't the C-Con have help from the outside of the Zone? I mean, it would be entirely possible that they send out artifacts that they create in order to get revenue, which they give to the Mercs, who give them weapons and shit in return. I'm thinking the C-Con has help from the outside, we just don't know it yet, and those helping them aren't fully aware of it. Maybe a rival government or political group is giving them money so the Ukrainian government has some kind of deterrence in their way. When the Ukrainians can't rid the Zone of the Monolith, they may seek outside help, specifically from the government that used the Monolith as a means to gain access to the Zone legally.

I don't know, maybe I'm looking to much into this, but I wouldn't put it past today's countries to do some kind of shit like this. The higher-ups are pretty damn smart when it comes to exploiting a new frontier.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #1483
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,104 Posts
    Doesn't the C-Con have help from the outside of the Zone? I mean, it would be entirely possible that they send out artifacts that they create in order to get revenue, which they give to the Mercs, who give them weapons and shit in return. I'm thinking the C-Con has help from the outside, we just don't know it yet, and those helping them aren't fully aware of it. Maybe a rival government or political group is giving them money so the Ukrainian government has some kind of deterrence in their way. When the Ukrainians can't rid the Zone of the Monolith, they may seek outside help, specifically from the government that used the Monolith as a means to gain access to the Zone legally.
    Nope. C-Con development and the knowledge about X Labs completely vanished in the outside world after the USSR fell apart. The Group's only major link to the outside world was Agroprom, and they had to conspire with them because they needed expensive modernized equipment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events

4. Post #1484
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,992 Posts
    If we're assuming that the Monolithians rely partially on cannibalism to survive, is it not possible that the people driving the death trucks were sleeper agents bringing in corpses for food?

Though that begs the question of what Strelok was doing there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #1485
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,718 Posts
    I'm pretty sure the death trucks haul out agents, and haul in corpses and potential agents.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #1486
    November 2010
    2,613 Posts
    haul in corpses and potential agents.
    Why would they haul corpses in ? Weapons,food, new adepts to be shown the light maybe.

But corpses ? That wouldn't make any sense even if they were cannibals.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #1487
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,058 Posts
    Why would they haul corpses in ? Weapons,food, new adepts to be shown the light maybe.

You know how there are always impaled heads around Monolith camps? What do you think happened to the bodies? Plus, being the largest faction, I doubt they can scavenge enough bread and sausage to feed everyone.

8. Post #1488
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,135 Posts
    I finally remembered there's quicksaving in CS

So I'm pretty far in the beginning now, went back to the CS base and did some upgrading, selling, etc. About to go attack the Renegade base.

9. Post #1489
    May 2010
    6,726 Posts
    I kinda like the idea of the Monolith supplying themselves with equipment from old bunkers and stockpiles that are too irradiated/mutant-infested for normal STALKERs or that only the Monolithians know about because of the voice in their head.

10. Post #1490
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    2,555 Posts

For Science(?). I agree, neither cannibalism nor shipping corpses in make sense.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

11. Post #1491
    May 2010
    6,726 Posts
    Specifically I envision a loner, hopelessly lost in the catacombs beneath the nothern Zone, hearing voices in the dark and coming across a line of Monolithians, sickened by radiation and ragged from constant labor, hauling crates full of guns and ammo out of a black pit beneath the earth.

You know, put some of the Freaky Cult back into "Monolith."

12. Post #1492
    White Fusion will love him forever and ever~
    January 2012
    10,787 Posts
    Retconing Monolith to be cannibals could be scary as piss if done right, but it'd make them seem more like mutants than just brainwashed badasses.

13. Post #1493
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,718 Posts

Strip the bodies, grind them up, turn it into food for either the Monolithians, a mutant farm, or to stick in an anomaly to make artifacts.

14. Post #1494
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    2,555 Posts
    Retconing Monolith to be cannibals could be scary as piss if done right, but it'd make them seem more like mutants than just brainwashed badasses.
    What with the gasmasks stitched onto their face that'd be a little hard. I prefer to imagine that they hardly eat at all, those who have sustaining artifacts waste away slower.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

15. Post #1495
    November 2010
    2,613 Posts
    They shouldn't really comment on that because it'd be rather unnecessary and they already have a reputation as insane stalkers you need to watch out for. The burnt human remains in SoC might be either signs of cannibalism or just burning the bodies to prevent them from rotting and I think I like it being shrouded in mystery more than outright stating that they are cannibals.

The "Sin" faction might have been canonical cannibals, at least from their description. I can only imagine what they will be like in Lost Alpha!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

16. Post #1496
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    18,974 Posts
    What with the gasmasks stitched onto their face that'd be a little hard. I prefer to imagine that they hardly eat at all, those who have sustaining artifacts waste away slower.
    I am now imagining Monolithians grinding stalkers to this wet goop and consuming it via tubes going to their stomach
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

17. Post #1497
    November 2010
    2,613 Posts
    There was also Clear Sky and Final Day factions. They got wiped out as well.
    I missed this one :

From their (tiny) description Final Day didn't seem like a real "faction" but instead a small-ish band of stalkers, kind of similar to Orests band of loners in Clear Sky.

Clear Sky was destroyed since    all their main leaders and most of the factions' strength died / converted to Monolith at the CNPP in one fell swoop    and even before that, they had a relative shortage of front-line soldiers. Not only that but their goals coincide with Duty and Clear Sky's knowledge on how to destroy the Zone died along with    Lebedev,Beanpolev and Docent Suslov   

I prefer to imagine that they hardly eat at all, those who have sustaining artifacts waste away slower.
    Food items are found regularly on the Monolith members, same as other factions but lore-wise I imagine a lot of things to be different from the actual games.

Speaking of food items, I think it'd be interesting if the different foods had varying radioactive contamination levels. For example, the sausages carried by zombies / monolith and meat produced inside the Zone from boars and fleshes would be radioactive but cheap whileas tinned army rations and clean foods would have no radiation but they would also be rather costly. You would also have the option to hunt birds and small animals for food and cook them at campfires but the closer you are to the center, the more there is danger of those animals' contamination levels being too high as well.

18. Post #1498
    September 2009
    2,077 Posts
    maybe in STALKER2 clear sky will make a return with scar as their leader
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #1499
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,718 Posts
    I can only dream, but probably not going to happen.

But if Charon (Scar) lost the connection to the Monolith and left Pripyat, only to return to the Cordon and Swamps to spread the secrets of the Zone, I'd think he'd be able to start his own faction with government funding.

20. Post #1500
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,059 Posts
    Okay, once I finish Deus Ex and play a bit more skyrim I shall get back into stalker.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

21. Post #1501
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,104 Posts
    Technically the sole reason why Scar worked with Clear Sky was because he had no choice; He'd kick the bucket if he didn't cooperate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #1502
    April 2010
    4,945 Posts
    Thought you guys would like this, I bought a Russian SKS (1953) at the gun show here yesterday for $350, didn't come with the bayonet unfortunately, but I will buy one separately.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 8Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #1503
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    7,418 Posts
    Probably not since    he got brainwashed at the end of Clear Sky and it's speculated that he's Charon from SoC, which would mean he most likely would be dead.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #1504
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    4,693 Posts
    what exactly is the connection between Charon and Scar?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

25. Post #1505
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,104 Posts
    VSS Vintorez. Charon is the only guy using it in SoC and it's Scar's trademark weapon, leading people to belive that Scar is Charon. If you ask me, we could just ask Joe to tell is if he is or isn't Scar.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #1506
    November 2010
    2,613 Posts
    Tbh mainly the facts that he's the only stalker carrying a Vintar in SoC and it's Scar's iconic weapon in Clear Sky. Also, Scar got caught up in the Great Emission which he likely survived given his great resilience but got brainwashed by the Monolith.

If you ask me, we could just ask Joe to tell is if he is or isn't Scar.
    I don't think even Joe knows that and if I were a writer at GSC I would keep my lips sealed. Like someone way earlier said, Scar is like the Adrian Shepard of S.T.A.L.K.E.R and if his fate is not canonically established, the writers might bring him back in a future installment. At least Strelok killing Charon is not confirmed nor denied by canon.

Edited:

I find that the "edit"-feature is not working very well. Am I alone with this ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #1507
    September 2009
    2,077 Posts
    in the CS cinematic scar had a VS vintorez and in ShoC charon had a VS vintorez.

its also nice to mention that charon is the only person in the game with the vintorez

edit: ack late

28. Post #1508
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,427 Posts
    Thought you guys would like this, I bought a Russian SKS (1953) at the gun show here yesterday for $350, didn't come with the bayonet unfortunately, but I will buy one separately.

$350? Really? My brother got a Yugo SKS with a bayonet and rifle-grenade launcher for like $280.

29. Post #1509
    June 2010
    379 Posts
    Oh really?
    Then I took a post to this thread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Turkey Show Events

30. Post #1510
    April 2010
    4,945 Posts
    I didn't want a Yugo, the Russian ones have indefinitely better stocks and they are slightly longer. They are also becoming more and more rare so in 10 years I can sell it and make a profit if I really wanted to. They run about $500 online, which is what I was prepared to spend.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Germany Show Events

31. Post #1511
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,104 Posts
    I didn't want a Yugo, the Russian ones have indefinitely better stocks and they are slightly longer. They are also becoming more and more rare so in 10 years I can sell it and make a profit if I really wanted to. They run about $500 online, which is what I was prepared to spend.
    Yeah, but can the Russian SKS launch grenades or befriend a Southern Slavic gun nut?

Also it's the only gun in the world that can get away with "PAP" being it's real name.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events

32. Post #1512
    April 2010
    4,945 Posts
    The Yugo does have a much sexier muzzle break. And the grenade sights are sweet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Germany Show Events

33. Post #1513
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    18,671 Posts
    yes i also like guns
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Informative Informative x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

34. Post #1514
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,022 Posts
    In stalker S.O.C. (I'm new to the series) people are randomly dead I count 3 already, I leave the Freedom camp to destroy a merc camp, see murk at his small outpost, go to kill the mercs come back, see murk dead while two others are just sittin around, go back to the freedom base and see some dude dead while 8 others are around him sitting around a fire

Edited:

Is it just a bug?

35. Post #1515
    November 2010
    2,613 Posts
    Is it just a bug?
    If he's roasting in the fire, he probably spawned there and burnt to death.

36. Post #1516
    September 2010
    4,167 Posts
    Technically the sole reason why Scar worked with Clear Sky was because he had no choice; He'd kick the bucket if he didn't cooperate.
    As if those puny nerds would have had any chance against Scar; he simply pitied them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

37. Post #1517
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,749 Posts
    wtf 270 new posts? did i miss anything interesting?

38. Post #1518
    February 2010
    1,760 Posts
    As if those puny nerds would have had any chance against Scar; he simply pitied them.
    I think he was using them to get what he wanted.

Edited:

wtf 270 new posts? did i miss anything interesting?
    Page 34 and stalker bros posts.

39. Post #1519
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,749 Posts
    oh is someone saying they'll make stalker bros 2012 and all the lurkers return again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #1520
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,022 Posts
    If he's roasting in the fire, he probably spawned there and burnt to death.
    No, I saw that once, Wolf died, but these were two other people around it.