1. Post #4801
    PLAY IT LOUD!!!
    February 2010
    2,875 Posts
    Are their any disadvantages to putting your PSU upside down in your case. I did it because I'm parnoid that I'll spill drink and it would be sucked up by the fan.
    Just common sense here, but a fan would still blow OUT no matter what direction it's facing.

Unless you mean that you may spill some into a now spillable area of your PC. There's plenty of areas of your PC you can accidentally spill things into.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #4802
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Are their any disadvantages to putting your PSU upside down in your case. I did it because I'm parnoid that I'll spill drink and it would be sucked up by the fan.
    None at all, it exhausts out the back so orientation wouldn't matter, I have mine fan up because it looks cooler.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #4803
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    if your PSU is bottom mounted then it can make airflow into the PSU kind of wonky. Top mounted and there's no difference at all

4. Post #4804
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    if your PSU is bottom mounted then it can make airflow kind of wonky. not bad necessarily, just weird. Top mounted and there's no difference at all
    He means upside down, as in the fan pointing up/down in the bottom of the case, not mounted at the top/bottom of the case.
    I don't know of any cases that allow options for mounting your PSU at the top and bottom.

5. Post #4805

January 2012
    429 Posts
    if your PSU is bottom mounted then it can make airflow into the PSU kind of wonky. Top mounted and there's no difference at all
    I've got a HAF 912 with 2 200mm and 2 120mm, the top and back out and the front and side in.

Edited:

He means upside down, as in the fan pointing up/down in the bottom of the case, not mounted at the top/bottom of the case.
    I don't know of any cases that allow options for mounting your PSU at the top and bottom.
    HAF 932.

6. Post #4806
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    7,061 Posts

There, on an unbiased cpu benchamark thats just pure fucking power.
    And Ivy Bridge is ment to be better.
    Edit: And yes I know SuperPI is single thread, its infact unfair on the i7's.
    lol@bulldozer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #4807
    April 2009
    6,187 Posts
    They do exist.

8. Post #4808

January 2012
    429 Posts

The gromets can be put and the bottom and the PSU at the top

9. Post #4809
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Neat.

10. Post #4810
    March 2010
    1,608 Posts
    More IT tales...

I was just about to leave, and my supervisor said "hey, think you could do some cable organizing tomorrow?". Not thinking anything of this, I said "Sure!". He tosses me his keys and points me to the closet down the hall.

Huh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

11. Post #4811
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I mean if it's top mounted, making it upside down isn't gonna make a difference. if it's bottom mounted, upside down is weird shit

12. Post #4812

January 2012
    429 Posts
    I mean if it's top mounted, making it upside down isn't gonna make a difference. if it's bottom mounted, upside down is weird shit
    Howso, just draws air from the case, not the table/floor.

13. Post #4813
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,629 Posts
    I gave Flux a try for a week and I think I hate it.
    I swear it's making my eyestrain worse. And it only gets in the way. There's no "Disable until I say enable" option, there's only "Disable for an hour." (Discounting turning the program off.)

14. Post #4814

June 2011
    422 Posts
    I've been hearing a lot of people saying it's shit.
    It is

I'v spent all day on it... uhg far to long

15. Post #4815
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,420 Posts
    I gave Flux a try for a week and I think I hate it.
    I swear it's making my eyestrain worse. And it only gets in the way. There's no "Disable until I say enable" option, there's only "Disable for an hour." (Discounting turning the program off.)
    I was like that at first too, but I was too lazy to uninstall it

now i love it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

16. Post #4816
    April 2009
    6,187 Posts
    It is

I'v spent all day on it... uhg far to long
    It's not that terrible, but it was bad enough to warrant being formatted and deleted from my MBR.

17. Post #4817

January 2012
    429 Posts
    Its it just me or are nochtua fans ugly as fuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #4818
    CIPWTTKT's Resident Redneckā„¢
    December 2009
    7,202 Posts
    They certainly won't match any color schemes, but they're fucking awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #4819
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,629 Posts
    I was like that at first too, but I was too lazy to uninstall it

now i love it
    It was legit making my eyes burn, I couldn't stand it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #4820
    April 2009
    6,187 Posts
    I'll give windows 8 another try tomorrow morning.

I love dat fast boot.

21. Post #4821
    I fucking hate clients.

So I get to work today, and guess what my assignment is?

The client has decided that he doesn't want users to be called "users". He wants them to be called "people". Not just at the interface level (which isn't even our job, thankfully), but in the code and database as well.

The primary database (there's three) has over two dozen tables with "user" in the name. And well over half of the sixty-eight tables in the entire system have a user_id column.

The worst part was that I couldn't do a simple global search/replace, because a) a few times user was actually correct ("CREATE USER isignedanndaandcanttellyouanactualusername ENCRYPTED PASSWORD nope"), and b) the framework we're using would have far too many false positives due to stuff like user agent mechanisms and comments pointing you to the user manual.

The best part was that I could turn to the guy next to me and ask how to make this ignore stuff in .svn folders:
    Code:
    find . | xargs grep -il 'user' | sort | uniq
    And in under a second, he can say
    Code:
    find . | grep -v '\.svn' | xargs grep -il 'user' | sort | uniq
    (I checked the man pages - there doesn't seem to be an easy option in find for 'ignore hidden files and folders', which was my first guess on how to do it)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

22. Post #4822
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    7,061 Posts
    They perform pretty well from what I heard. You can also take them apart to spray paint it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #4823
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,725 Posts
    So at work, I was working (gasp)

And, being a software company, I was working on our program, specifically, automating the regression testing.

So we have this scheduling function that apparently logs every time it fires off, and I use the scheduler to help automate stuff, and the root directory of the program was taking forever to load.

I opened up cmd, did a dir of the folder, 66,200 files.

After a delete, it was left with 137.

24. Post #4824
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    16,621 Posts
    You don't usually host websites on an intranet, sending and receiving e-mail is usually not done within the same network
    Have you ever been at a large company?
    The amount of internal email and information on a company intranet is massive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

25. Post #4825
    so stop spending so much on hardware and move out, that sounds like it's awful
    It's not awful. Literally this is the first time my mother has said something like this.

Everything has been peachy. I really just hope I can get YT to a good point before my job ends.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

26. Post #4826
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    38,518 Posts
    When people say "peachy" I always think it's a negative thing because of how my dad would use that word.

"how was your day? "fucking peachy" ":("
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #4827
    Meaning the only conflict was my grades up till this point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

28. Post #4828
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    38,518 Posts
    Grades are retarded.

My school said I failed math and some other class when I have proof I passed and they're too lazy to fix it.

As of today though I brought my GPA up to a 3.4, but I'm only half way though the semester. According to my school's records I have a 1.42 last semester despite me having proof I have a solid 3.0 UGHGGGGGYUHGFDfghddf
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

29. Post #4829
    Also my prof for that office class accepted the grade. She's so nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

30. Post #4830
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    38,518 Posts
    Also my prof for that office class accepted the grade. She's so nice.
    I have yet to hear back on my "unanswered essay questions".

31. Post #4831
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    3,784 Posts
    Coolio.
    My art teacher runs a studio, and he was nice enough to let me take classes there for free if I wanted to just because of my financial situation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

32. Post #4832
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    38,518 Posts
    What kind of class did you take there?

33. Post #4833
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    16,621 Posts
    Torvalds knows how the Internet works:
    https://plus.google.com/102150693225...ts/Uk1YxfFDYX7
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #4834
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,629 Posts
    Grades are retarded.

My school said I failed math and some other class when I have proof I passed and they're too lazy to fix it.

As of today though I brought my GPA up to a 3.4, but I'm only half way though the semester. According to my school's records I have a 1.42 last semester despite me having proof I have a solid 3.0 UGHGGGGGYUHGFDfghddf
    sue

Edited:

I actually have no clue how any of that works.

35. Post #4835
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    38,518 Posts
    sue

Edited:

I actually have no clue how any of that works.
    I might actually have to, dunno how that'd exactly work. They're aware of situation and haven't done a thing for two months.

36. Post #4836
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,629 Posts

Edited:

I might actually have to, dunno how that'd exactly work. They're aware of situation and haven't done a thing for two months.
    It sounds like it would be a minefield. The school probably has all the loopholes and restrictions figured out.

37. Post #4837
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    38,518 Posts
    It sounds like it would be a minefield. The school probably has all the loopholes and restrictions figured out.
    Yeah probably.

They can pretty much get away with it and I'll have to retake the two classes.