1. Post #3121
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    No i'm not. I'm saying that being on the results would be more interesting.
    Yes, molten platters spewing everywhere, or the whole platter just disintegrating. Kind of like my flight simulator 2000 disk did :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #3122
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,452 Posts
    Speaking of Firefox addons, why can I not see my own rating thing with overvs script?
    If you have Noscript, you need to allow vertinode.nl before it works.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #3123
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #3124
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    39,113 Posts

5. Post #3125
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,670 Posts
    someone here posted a vid of himself starting an imac hard drive manually with a screwdriver. I'm sure it can survive just being open
    I posted a picture of my now-broken iBook's hard drive after I started it with a screwdriver. The drive itself was pretty small, only 30 GB or so, which makes me think that the density must have been low enough that it didn't matter too much if a stray dust particle was chilling on the platter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

6. Post #3126
    This is fucking amazing:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 9 (list)

7. Post #3127
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,452 Posts

Edited:

This is fucking amazing:

Welp, I'm a perv.
    I'm trying to look up her skirt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #3128

Edited:

Welp, I'm a perv.

Same with the other five trillion people who will watch this.

Edited:

Also tumblr: http://puu.sh/hIWE

NSFW

9. Post #3129
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    39,113 Posts

10. Post #3130
    I read the Gizmodo article on it. Apple is such a piece of shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #3131
    Man, and I thought all the Android games blatantly stealing graphics from Counter-Strike were bad...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #3132
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #3133
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    39,113 Posts
    Man, and I thought all the Android games blatantly stealing graphics from Counter-Strike were bad...
    Really all they did was steal the name and the cartridge graphic. It's not even a real app.

Plus those screenshots are from Fire Red and Leaf Green.

14. Post #3134
    Naci's Sidekick
    July 2010
    7,646 Posts

15. Post #3135
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    39,113 Posts
    I just got a bunch of coupon codes from Newegg.

I would use them but I have no money at the moment. I hate how these coupons show up at the worst time possible :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #3136
    Really all they did was steal the name and the cartridge graphic. It's not even a real app.

Plus those screenshots are from Fire Red and Leaf Green.
    That's worse.

The Andoid CS knockoffs are at least playable games, that just use sprites and textures taken out of Counter-Strike. They even made custom maps (or at least stole custom maps) to take screenshots of to use as backgrounds. Still unethical and probably illegal, but they at least put some of their own work into it, and aren't trying to mooch off the Counter-Strike brand.

The iPhone Pokemon shit is just wrong. It's blatant theft of Nintendo's brand, and an outright scam of customers. It's not even a playable game, it has precisely zero creative effort involved (although you have to laud the guy's chutzpah, thinking he could get away with this). I'm honestly surprised that it passed through Apple's vaunted approval process - you'd think an app has to actually *run* in order to be tested, right? And that someone, somewhere in the line, had to look at this game and say "yes, this is totally permitted".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

17. Post #3137
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    39,113 Posts
    Press Quotes:
    ✔ "Fantastic and addictive gameplay. Six stars." 5/5
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

18. Post #3138
    July 2010
    4,096 Posts
    we just set our christmas tree alight
    it was beautiful
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #3139
    April 2011
    2,652 Posts
    Good god, what the fuck happened to this thread?

Anyway, one of my friends thinks opening task manager puts a scratch on your hard drive.

20. Post #3140

June 2011
    492 Posts
    I find myself looking at harddrives multiple times per day looking for deals. I'd buy these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145563 but it's 5400RPM. Running in RAID should give me 180Mb/s write, but the access times would suck.

My plan is to buy 4x >2TB drives. Put them in RAID10. Dump my current 500gb drive onto the Raid, buy another SSD for games. So it would be the RAID on my 4x Sata 3gbps ports, two SSD's on my intel SATA 6gbps, and then my CD and hot swap on the Marvel 6gbps.

I may end up getting four of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo 92.25 dollars per TB on the Hitachi versus 89dollars per TB on the seagate. And the Seagate is faster.

Edited:

According to StorageReviews, the Seagate hits 160mb/s write sustained, which is exactly what I need for video editing. That means in a RAID I'd hit maybe 280-300mb/s

Holy shit. That's like... WAIT HOLY SHIT
    AMAZON HAS THEM FOR 209 WITH PRIME. I could get them tomorrow for like 840.

Edited:

That's 70 bucks per Terabyte at 7200RPM. That's like the prices from middle of the year almost.
    Wait.

Raid-10 will actually lower your access times a bit compared to running raid-0. I'm sure you know raid-10 = 2xraid-0 and mirrors of those two stripes. If you aren't on a HW write cached controller.

Sadly you're on Z68 so you only have a few PCI-E lanes to play with, other wise you could just get yourself an LSI raid controller and get good speeds.

Those drives will net you around 300mb/s sustained. I was running 4xraid-10 1TB RE4 on a LSI 9260-8i and I was getting around 250MB/s write test under linux sequential 1.1GB tests. Currently with 6x15K SAS 3.0gbps 450GB HP drives on the same controller in raid-10 I do around 320-380MB/s. 2x Intel 320 120GB in raid-0 nets me around 300MB/s.

My recommendation, get yourself 2x256GB Corsair Performance pros, record to that, then copy the files over to raid-5 3TB array. Unless you record hour long videos at once?

21. Post #3141
    PLEASE DON'T EAT ME!
    June 2009
    2,941 Posts

Welp, I'm a perv.
    I see a pussy

cat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

22. Post #3142
    Wait.

Raid-10 will actually lower your access times a bit compared to running raid-0. I'm sure you know raid-10 = 2xraid-0 and mirrors of those two stripes. If you aren't on a HW write cached controller.

Sadly you're on Z68 so you only have a few PCI-E lanes to play with, other wise you could just get yourself an LSI raid controller and get good speeds.

Those drives will net you around 300mb/s sustained. I was running 4xraid-10 1TB RE4 on a LSI 9260-8i and I was getting around 250MB/s write test under linux sequential 1.1GB tests. Currently with 6x15K SAS 3.0gbps 450GB HP drives on the same controller in raid-10 I do around 320-380MB/s. 2x Intel 320 120GB in raid-0 nets me around 300MB/s.

My recommendation, get yourself 2x256GB Corsair Performance pros, record to that, then copy the files over to raid-5 3TB array. Unless you record hour long videos at once?
    I don't need or want the performance of SSD's. And yes, I know what Raid 10 is. These drives seem perfect for what I'm looking to do. I care about access times, but my goal is RAID 10, and 5400rpm plus whatever mechanism RAID 10 applies to the performance isn't something I think I'm looking for.

I plan on keeping my current 64gb SSD for my OS, maybe get a 128gb SSD for my games and faster applications and my 6TB RAID10 will be my playground for most of my projects that require a bunch of sequential performance. And yes, sometimes I record hours at a time of 1080p video.

23. Post #3143
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,452 Posts
    All things considered, my Galaxy S still has a fairly good camera.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #3144
    April 2009
    6,187 Posts
    Smartphone cameras aren't really bad at all.

It's just most people cannot into good picture.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

25. Post #3145
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,108 Posts
    They're fairly decent if you don't have a real camera with you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #3146
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,452 Posts
    I don't take pictures or record video enough to justify dropping $50 or $100 on a dedicated camera.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

27. Post #3147
    All things considered, my Galaxy S still has a fairly good camera.

That's incredible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #3148
    I DEFY YOU, HEART MAN!
    December 2011
    391 Posts
    Press Quotes:
    ✔ "Fantastic and addictive gameplay. Six stars." 5/5
    And then the developer tries too hard:

29. Post #3149
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,452 Posts
    Smartphone cameras aren't really bad at all.

It's just most people cannot into good picture.
    "It's not the amount of megapixels you have, it's how you use them."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #3150
    it's also how few you have.
    Give me a 5mp 5D Mark III and I'll be happy.

31. Post #3151
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    39,113 Posts
    I technically have a D800.

It's my dad's

32. Post #3152
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,108 Posts
    "It's not the amount of megapixels you have, it's how you use them."
    Go take photos with the iPad 2 camera and see if that still stands.
       Not    delicious 960x720

Edited:

One is the ipad 2 camera, another is Generic 5MP Phone Camera™, guess which is which!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events

33. Post #3153
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,452 Posts
    Go take photos with the iPad 2 camera and see if that still stands.
       Not    delicious 960x720
    I mostly meant the quality of the sensor or the lens. People always assume "I HAVE TO HAVE 50 BILLION MEGAPIXELS," when that's not always the case.

Edited:

My dad used to be really big into cameras and photography when he was younger so I like to think I picked up a bit of that from him even if I don't actually take pictures.

Edited:

One is the ipad 2 camera, another is Generic 5MP Phone Camera™, guess which is which!
    I would like to ask the audience, please.

34. Post #3154
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    39,113 Posts
    My dad took this with an iPhone 4.

Edited:

That's my midget of a dog.

35. Post #3155
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,670 Posts
    They're fairly decent if you don't have a real camera with you.
    As long as you have a lot of light, they're fantastic. When you try taking a picture indoors in slightly-poor lighting, the shutter speed gets slow and the ISO is cranked, so you're much more likely to get a grainy, blurry image.

Speaking of smartphones, my VPS host has the ugliest Android app that I've ever used:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #3156
    SirCrest Sexual Enthusiast
    August 2008
    14,852 Posts
    As long as you have a lot of light, they're fantastic. When you try taking a picture indoors in slightly-poor lighting, the shutter speed gets slow and the ISO is cranked, so you're much more likely to get a grainy, blurry image.

Speaking of smartphones, my VPS host has the ugliest Android app that I've ever used:
    Just go find a SolusVM App. Same thing, better skin.
    also, VPS host bro's. I love SecuredSpeed. The customer support is fucking amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #3157
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    7,496 Posts
    And then the developer tries too hard:
    The app store is filled with retardation like this, I don't find it surprising at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #3158

January 2012
    429 Posts
    Someone said to me today that I was stupid for saying if you cared that much about loading time's on an xbox 360 you could put in a ssd, would be a waste of an ssd though, because the connection's were diffrent.
    What has the world came to....
    And I am pretty sure that if they used a diffrent connector the manofacturing cost would be way higher?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

39. Post #3159
    June 2010
    9,225 Posts
    TO DENMARK!
    No, go away
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

40. Post #3160
    SirCrest is my life, so is yours.
    October 2009
    7,457 Posts
    Tried to open that (first reason why android market is better, you dont have to install fucking itunes)
    iTunes then stated it wasn't available in the dutch store, and asked me to switch to the US store. I clicked ok, and then a second image popped up saying it wasn't available in the US market
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)