1. Post #7401
    December 2008
    499 Posts
    Through a couple of my recent posts, ya'll know I broke my neck. After doing some research, I realized how close to death I was.
    It all started with a couple members of my family and I were drinking at my cousins house. He has a two story house with a huge deck connected to his second story. I was sitting on the railing being a drunkard and leaned too far backwards and fell head first to the ground below (16 feet). The back of my head smacked a porch swing and I was knocked unconscious for only like 10-15 seconds.
    To make a long story short, I didn't go to the hospital that night. i waited until the next day. I felt fine other than the huge knot on the back of my head. I had no headache and my neck didn't hurt whatsoever.
    I drove myself to the nearest medical center and they gave me a ct scan of my head and neck. They told me my head was fine, but that I had a hairline fracture of my c1 vertebrae.
    Your c1 vertebrae is the top vertebrae in your neck... the one you really don't want to break. after being transported to another hospital and seeing 10 doctors and 5 surgeons, they all let me know how lucky I was, because apparently, only 3% of people with this injury do not suffer neurological damage. I'm in that 3%. 97% of people with a similar injury are dead or are quadriplegic.
    I guess I'm lucky, counting my blessings over here.
    I'm suddenly glad I drank all of my milk when i was younger
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 16Winner Winner x 6 (list)

2. Post #7402
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,829 Posts
    Oh yeah, today was my last day of high school ever

I'm off for the next 15 weeks before I start college at the end of August

So this is the start of the rest of my life~

next 14-15 weeks are going to be amazing. No school, no worries, no nothing. Just fun. And my college course is a film production one where I only go 3 days a week

omg I'm so fucking happy and excited seriously wow
    College is awesome mostly because of that. I hated during high school basically being IN school for full time job hours, 40 hours a week for 5 days a week. The problem with it was that with a part time job, I basically had almost non-exsistant free time to enjoy, work on my own stuff, etc. Especially with homework from 7 or so different classes.

But with college, you're only in class 14-18 hours in a week for 3-5 classes (depending on if you are semesters or quarters), and almost all your gen eds (the one with lectures, anyways) in any given career have extremely lax attendance policies (don't skip class all the time of course, but if you have something you are doing or need to work on for another class, it's generally pretty easy to skip here and there with zero conciquence). So I have plenty of time to do my job, work on personal projects and have some fun.

Where are you going to school? Are you wanting to make film?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #7403
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,194 Posts
    I'm not even in college.

I don't have that kind of money.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

4. Post #7404
    Sphene
    September 2010
    10,881 Posts
    I'm not even in college.

You don't need money to get into college. The only thing I've bought from Bellevue College so far is breakfast/lunch almost every day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #7405
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    39,158 Posts
    College is awesome mostly because of that. I hated during high school basically being IN school for full time job hours, 40 hours a week for 5 days a week. The problem with it was that with a part time job, I basically had almost non-exsistant free time to enjoy, work on my own stuff, etc. Especially with homework from 7 or so different classes.

But with college, you're only in class 14-18 hours in a week for 3-5 classes (depending on if you are semesters or quarters), and almost all your gen eds (the one with lectures, anyways) in any given career have extremely lax attendance policies (don't skip class all the time of course, but if you have something you are doing or need to work on for another class, it's generally pretty easy to skip here and there with zero conciquence). So I have plenty of time to do my job, work on personal projects and have some fun.

Where are you going to school? Are you wanting to make film?
    Yeah I think I'm going to look into getting a part-time job at some point as well.

And that's the dream, yeah. Or at least be involved in it. I'd love to be able to direct as a career, but I understand that's a pretty challenging goal to go for. Doesn't mean it's not worth aiming for though, since obviously every famous director had to start the same as me or whatever so it's not an impossible goal, and it's something that could be achieved at any time or any age so it's never not a possibility, really.

And I'll be going to Stevenson College, still in Edinburgh and it's only a 20 minute bus ride away which is good
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #7406
    I don't give a shit about your dumb opinion, my opinion is the one that counts.
    June 2011
    7,037 Posts
    My sister said I shouldn't shave my goatee, but I don't like how thin it is. What do?
    post pics
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

7. Post #7407
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,829 Posts
    I'm not even in college.

Do what I did: fill in your FAFSA, get government aid. Then, attend community college for the first two or so years to get your associates while working a part time job. The above two should make it so you can EASILY afford your own education to at least get an assoicates.

Then transfer to a university. If you played your cards right everything you did in CC should go right over, so you start out as a junior or something with no debt. Then, still get grants and such from the government, though you'll likely need to take out a loan at some point. By the time you graduate you'll hopefully have less than 6-8k in debt, which isn't too hard to pay off over the years, epsecially if you had a part-time job the whole time to give yourself a nice financial base.

For 90% of professions and careers out there, how you got your degree and where means little. It's your actual skills/experience that matters the most to employers, with the degree being a nice side bonus. So why overpay and fall into the scam that you need to spend $20k in debt that ends up costing you $50k over a lifetime just to get an education?

Edited:

Yeah I think I'm going to look into getting a part-time job at some point as well.

And that's the dream, yeah. Or at least be involved in it. I'd love to be able to direct as a career, but I understand that's a pretty challenging goal to go for. Doesn't mean it's not worth aiming for though, since obviously every famous director had to start the same as me or whatever so it's not an impossible goal, and it's something that could be achieved at any time or any age so it's never not a possibility, really.

And I'll be going to Stevenson College, still in Edinburgh and it's only a 20 minute bus ride away which is good
    Cool :)

It's good to aim for that. Just remember to always work on your career even outside of classes. The biggest trap uni provides is that it's some magical one way ticket into a career. This really isn't true - its simply an educational tool to get you where you want to go easier.

I.E. I'm currently majoring in Fine Arts and I already have an assoicates degree in visual communications (graphic design). My career goals pretty much amount to getting into the game design industry, ideally as a level designer. The majority of my portoflio work I do on my own time with my own self-driven passion. I can directly and indirectly apply creative aspects from my degree to my actual career goals, which is why I'm going for it. Also because I don't feel like being in 100k of debt just to say I went to digipen.

So really, even if the film school thing doesn't work out in some way or another you should always still do film as long as that's where you want to see yourself. A studio will more likely hire a 30-something with lots of personal projects, experience and skill he did on his own (but with no degree) than a 20-something who has a degree fresh out of college, but only put the bare minimum effort behind his school film projects, and never did anything outside of his classes. Most of the time, the degree is there to get past the HR desk, while your actual employer/boss is more interested in what you can do, what your work ethic is like, etc.

8. Post #7408
    Sphene
    September 2010
    10,881 Posts
    post pics
    I will!
    As soon as I find a camera...

9. Post #7409
    Tea
    Dennab
    December 2008
    4,084 Posts
    don't be a cunt
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 8Artistic Artistic x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #7410
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,194 Posts
    You don't need money to get into college. The only thing I've bought from Bellevue College so far is breakfast/lunch almost every day.
    fair enough. but i'm also trying to get out of this country so
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #7411
    Go Shuya! You can do it Shuya!
    December 2005
    5,760 Posts
    that was awesome
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #7412
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    21,564 Posts
    Steam chat is gay as fuck right now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #7413
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,194 Posts
    redback can sing

gay as fuck though :V!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #7414
    Go Shuya! You can do it Shuya!
    December 2005
    5,760 Posts
    redback can sing

gay as fuck though :V!
    rude x
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

15. Post #7415
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,194 Posts
    you know I'm just messing with you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #7416
    you know I'm just messing with you
    That Avatar... isn't that from the Butterfield Karaoke bar skit?

17. Post #7417
    January 2012
    638 Posts
    Mom: So why do you care about that NC constitutional amendment so much?

Me: Uh...er.....no reason I guess
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

18. Post #7418
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,194 Posts
    That Avatar... isn't that from the Butterfield Karaoke bar skit?
    yes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #7419
    I just remembered a joke. Grandma, have you seen my LSD? Grandma: Fuck that, there's Dragons in the Basement!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

20. Post #7420
    roar
    January 2008
    13,322 Posts
    I just remembered a joke. Grandma, have you seen my LSD? Grandma: Fuck that, there's Dragons in the Basement!
    What a bad joke
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

21. Post #7421
    yes because lsd causes you to see dragons

22. Post #7422
    Dennab
    October 2010
    1,436 Posts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UAsTlnjvetI
    this is a good song

it is advised you listen to it

if you don't, that's ok too, but you'll have missed out.

23. Post #7423
    ~ pissing excellence ~
    May 2005
    2,844 Posts
    It really is a good song, I liked it
    but I declare this one to be the official good song

Edited:

Also how come have I never heard about that band before, BagMinge104?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

24. Post #7424
    Sphene
    September 2010
    10,881 Posts
    yes because lsd causes you to see dragons
    It probably can, but from what I gather seeing dragons would be too... concrete for that kind of drug.
    Isn't it supposed to let you taste colors and smell words?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #7425
    ~ pissing excellence ~
    May 2005
    2,844 Posts
    It probably can, but from what I gather seeing dragons would be too... concrete for that kind of drug.
    Isn't it supposed to let you taste colors and smell words?
    I hate talking about drugs as much as the next guy but I can confirm by first-hand experience that it can cause visual hallucinations, and that you're right, dragons would be too "solid" for it, but still possible, since you could see a huge black blob and name it a "dragon" you'd still believe it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #7426
    Head over heels in love with Pudding~
    Dennab
    January 2012
    5,547 Posts
    depends on which type of transsexual and what gender jocke is

Edited:

for instance, if jocke's a male, and the transsexual is ftm then yes it's gay

however, if jocke's a female, and the transsexual is ftm then no it isn't gay

if jocke's a male, and the transsexual is mtf then it isn't gay

if jocke's a female, and the transsexual's mtf then yes it is gay
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

27. Post #7427
    Hello Handsome
    February 2010
    14,019 Posts
    goodnight once again my fellow gays

Edited:

yes, ill keep doing this every night

Edited:

until you appreciate me

Edited:

:'(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #7428
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,194 Posts

Edited:

Edited:

until you appreciate me

Edited:

i appreciate you

and people

people are nice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

29. Post #7429
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    940 Posts

Edited:

Edited:

until you appreciate me

Edited:

Goodnight, don't let the bed bugs bite, or do if you're into that sort of thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

30. Post #7430
    April 2012
    28 Posts
    I figure this would be an appropriate place to start posting o:

So hi guys
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

31. Post #7431
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    940 Posts
    Hi welcome to the forums, welcome to the thread, and are you dead, or are you alive? I can't tell...

32. Post #7432
    April 2012
    28 Posts
    I like to think I'm alive

Anything I should watch out for on here o: my friend told me it was a hostile place but you guys seem ok so far
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

33. Post #7433
    Ask me about my ex-boyfriend being raided by the FBI
    August 2009
    1,862 Posts
    There, finished with finals.

34. Post #7434
    Meow :3
    July 2005
    6,087 Posts
    in 4 minutes it would be proper to say

good morning
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

35. Post #7435
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    940 Posts
    I like to think I'm alive

Anything I should watch out for on here o: my friend told me it was a hostile place but you guys seem ok so far
    Here in the gay thread we are all pretty silly and forgiving, but the rest of facepunch is pretty rude. You might want to stop using emoticons.

36. Post #7436
    roar
    January 2008
    13,322 Posts
    You might want to stop using emoticons.
    No :c
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 7Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

37. Post #7437
    July 2005
    6,087 Posts
    Here in the gay thread we are all pretty silly and forgiving, but the rest of facepunch is pretty rude. You might want to stop using emoticons.
    but i like them :3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

38. Post #7438
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,194 Posts
    You might want to never use xD
    ftfy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 2 (list)

39. Post #7439
    April 2012
    28 Posts
    Shit well why would they be rude in the first place? Should I be afraid to post?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

40. Post #7440
    July 2005
    6,087 Posts
    Shit well why would they be rude in the first place? Should I be afraid to post?
    if youre cool then you have nothing to worry about

dont worry about it too much though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)