1. Post #6041
    27X
    Rantasaurus Rex
    July 2010
    6,081 Posts
    I know this is late, but I had to respond to this. Mass Effect 2's plot was pretty thin, but it was pretty good when you realize the focus is on building a team. What's the point in building up all these characters just for them to get 1-2 short appearances and 1 mission in ME3? A few of those missions were important (like legion, mordin, and tali's loyalty missions), but that's just a few out of many. Aside from generic sidequests, the game consists of 6 "main story" missions, 7 recruitment missions, and 12 loyalty missions. About three quarters of the game is based on this team. You helped your team deal with their problems...just for them to do their own thing in ME3? I agree some could have important roles, but some of them don't join you against all reason.

One mistake many people seem to make is if a character has something important to do at one time, it means they can't be a squadmate period. Legion? He has to deal with the geth/quarian conflict! Mordin? He's got to deal with the genophage! People don't seem to realize these conflicts will have to be resolved at some point, and then why don't they join you after? Even further, the justification goes out the window when you realize how some of the shepard's actual team have incredibly important responsibilities. Why do people expect Legion, a geth of all things, to be physically present with other geth to lead them, and yet    Tali is an admiral and she joins your squad just for the fun of it     ?

I just have a bad feeling this thread , shortly after ME3's release, will have a bunch of posts asking "Is my favorite character on the squad?", and quite a large number of the responses will have to be "We have some bad news for you..."
    Actually that's going to be all the responses. garrasu and talisu are there because the fans quite literally demanded it in gigantic numbers, Liara is there because she's Casey's favorite, Virmire is there through plot device and the other three are based directly on marketing concerns and the need for a "twist". The last of those is pure unadulterated fanwank. (and no, I'm not talking about Vega)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #6042
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,347 Posts
    What happens in mass effect 3 if you import a save that you die in the end of mass effect 2?
    Does TIM just spend another fortune on you and undo your death. Such heavy consequences.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #6043
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    6,968 Posts
    What happens in mass effect 3 if you import a save that you die in the end of mass effect 2?
    You can't.

4. Post #6044
    27X
    Rantasaurus Rex
    July 2010
    6,081 Posts
    Legion with Widow + Grunt with Krogan Shotgun = strongest squad.
    Garrus with max damage + legion/shep with widows = strongest squad. Two deaths per second on insanity.

5. Post #6045
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,347 Posts
    You can't.
    Oh. Too bad.

6. Post #6046
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    20,063 Posts

I have wanted a minigun for so so long
    Hahaha

Its face is looking to the left. Some of the weapons look pretty good. Others, not so much. That one Sniper Rifle looks great, and you'll all know the one I'm referring to
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #6047
    Mentally incapable of sticking to one avatar
    January 2007
    5,809 Posts

Omg, so do I. Let's be friends!
    Man I've got desktop folders inside desktop folders ∞

Keeping it ME related, just started up my PC copy of ME:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

8. Post #6048
    27X
    Rantasaurus Rex
    July 2010
    6,081 Posts
    It's not stronger, it's easier to handle, faster and thus overall better.
    It only has 60% damage unmodded, but has three shots per sink. Not a bad tradeoff.

9. Post #6049
    Dog
    What's worse than biting into an apple and finding a dick?
    March 2011
    3,769 Posts
    Can someone tell me who Hamburger Helper is?

I can't google it because all that comes up is food and some sort of reach around sexual position.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

10. Post #6050

September 2010
    177 Posts
    Jennifer Hepler
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

11. Post #6051
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,973 Posts

I can't google it because all that comes up is food and some sort of reach around sexual position.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Zing Zing x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #6052
    Dog
    What's worse than biting into an apple and finding a dick?
    March 2011
    3,769 Posts
    Ok, why does everyone hate her?

Edited:

Oh god that face.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

13. Post #6053
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,297 Posts
    Ok, why does everyone hate her?

Edited:

Oh god that face.
    Her views don't agree with most gamers therefor according to anyone who can't accept that people have differing opinions on how games should be she should be raped and all that fun stuff. She basically thinks that games should have a fast forward button like movies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #6054
    August 2010
    194 Posts
    At this point, she's just a symbol of shitty writing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

15. Post #6055
    27X
    Rantasaurus Rex
    July 2010
    6,081 Posts

add animu pr0n to that list and it's an astoundingly accurate description of the actual article.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 22Winner Winner x 5 (list)

16. Post #6056
    June 2011
    1,470 Posts
    Her views don't agree with most gamers therefor according to anyone who can't accept that people have differing opinions on how games should be she should be raped and all that fun stuff. She basically thinks that games should have a fast forward button like movies.
    Don't forget Merrill, Anders and Justice.

Edited:

add animu pr0n to that list and it's an astoundingly accurate description of the actual article.
    Needs one about the tendency for Soldiers to concussive blast everything.

Everything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

17. Post #6057
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,973 Posts
    This one. Oh god this one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

18. Post #6058
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    8,049 Posts
    This one. Oh god this one.
    I think the NovaSpam one was very fitting for you earlier today.

Two phantoms? CHARGENOVASPAM. Both Phantoms dead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #6059
    March 2010
    4,472 Posts
    multiplayer advice meme
    Most of them are really great and true, but no alien versions? I smell Cerberus racists behind this. This needs more Asari adept.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

20. Post #6060
    June 2011
    1,470 Posts
    Most of them are really great and true, but no alien versions? I smell Cerberus racists behind this.
    You can have your Quarian in any color you like, as long as it's purple?

21. Post #6061
    March 2010
    4,472 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

22. Post #6062
    May 2011
    2,934 Posts
    Was written by Mary Kirby.

23. Post #6063
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,973 Posts
    I think the NovaSpam one was very fitting for you earlier today.

Two phantoms? CHARGENOVASPAM. Both Phantoms dead.
    I had pretty much the same reaction to it afterwards as well.

"Yeah, see, phantoms are easy to kill"

*shields are totally down and I have a tiny blip of health*
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

24. Post #6064
    June 2011
    1,470 Posts
    Was written by Mary Kirby.
    Was a swing and miss VV

25. Post #6065
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,973 Posts
    Lies, when I go down in the middle of 4 atlases, 3 phantoms and 10 assault troopers an infiltrator (or a ridiculously suicidal vanguard) is my only chance...

26. Post #6066
    Wow, never heard of THAT joke before
    April 2010
    903 Posts
    Huzzah! I'm at home so I won't have to deal with university firewall bollocks! Oh no, the wireless in my house is all kinds of awful and I can't get a wire to the router, and even if it wasn't shit, everyone on my Origin friends list is likely to be so far ahead it'll render me inept at co-op!

...sadface

27. Post #6067
    June 2010
    4,887 Posts
    This is every class in a nutshell for me
    I'd love to use the widow as an infiltrator but nope cooldowns
    At least revenant+predator is fine on soldiers

28. Post #6068
    May 2011
    2,934 Posts
    Was a swing and miss VV
    Merrill's writing wasn't especially poor, it was just exceptionally bland. There was nothing really unique about it and nothing that really made you interested in her character beyond, 'oh wow what a cute Welsh accent this lass has'. It was like the Dragon Age team took Tali and tried to make her cuter while being darker and edgier.

Her romance, like all of the DA2 romances, was awful but that wasn't necessarily because of her character.

29. Post #6069
    May 2011
    392 Posts
    I had fun earlier this morning with dice.

I assigned characters to numbers and rolled a d12 and d6 die for some ME-related shit we've been writing

Mercs apparently invaded the Normandy. We decided to roll to see how many deaths and injuries there were. 2 deaths, 1 injury. Okay. Roll to see who dies.

Jacob and Kelly

(Garrus was rolled for the injury, Tali and Joker were rolled for "idiots that hid in the bathroom," Legion was rolled for "last-minute savior.")

After having so much fun with this I've been contemplating constructing a ME/ME2 run by just rolling dice (assuming I'd be using an edited save to have all renegade/paragon options open)...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

30. Post #6070
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #6071
    Resident IFAP Phantas- magor- iologist
    July 2010
    6,019 Posts
    Me every single time. Always end up getting like 3-4 Assault Troopers killed though.

32. Post #6072
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,017 Posts
    is that a laser

because it looks a lot like a fucking laser

33. Post #6073
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    2,332 Posts
    Does TIM just spend another fortune on you and undo your death. Such heavy consequences.
    Either nothing(dead), or you see a cutscene of the Reapers killing/harvesting everyone.

34. Post #6074
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    12,439 Posts
    is that a laser

because it looks a lot like a fucking laser
    Don't be silly, the power output required for laser weapons would be highly impractical. It's probably a particle beam.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

35. Post #6075
    July 2010
    3,828 Posts
    I've come to the conclusion that Engineer is fucking awesome in Multiplayer. I fully upgraded Overload and if I use it on unshielded enemies, they just crumple to the ground helplessly. It's so easy to survive with that class. Also, if you just use a pistol, you'll be tazing everything on the map. Use the Carnifex and it's basically just taze, shoot face, taze, shoot face, you get the idea. Quarian Engineer can eat shit, Human Engineers are better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

36. Post #6076
    August 2009
    2,767 Posts
    I'm not sure where I got the inspiration to do so, but I sketched this in my Spanish notebook:

Ah, yes. "Ancient Ones."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

37. Post #6077
    March 2010
    4,472 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

38. Post #6078
    January 2008
    1,226 Posts
    should we keep having to spoiler tag who the " mystery" squad mate is? its not like bioware is trying to hide it and nearly everybody in this thread talks about it. also, bioware has made it clear that the character is not critical to the story at all and is basically another kasumi.

i mean seriously, is their anyone is this thread who doesn't know who the squadmate is?

also,

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

39. Post #6079
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,017 Posts
    should we keep having to spoiler tag who the " mystery" squad mate is? its not like bioware is trying to hide it and nearly everybody in this thread talks about it. also, bioware has made it clear that the character is not critical to the story at all and is basically another kasumi.
    It's not yet clear whether he's in the game to begin with and the DLC just lets you use him as a squad-mate, or if the DLC is entirely new. No harm in continuing to spoiler it until we've got the whole skinny, y'know?

40. Post #6080
    March 2010
    4,472 Posts

i mean seriously, is their anyone is this thread who doesn't know who the squadmate is?
    Agreed, Bioware is about to release a trailer with him inside. Any disclosure about his race and identity is making a mockery out of our spoilertags. Hell even Kotaku announced it already several times and lots of people in this thread stated it's a live Prothean out of stasis without using tags. Can the DLC character come out of the closet now?

It's not yet clear whether he's in the game to begin with and the DLC just lets you use him as a squad-mate, or if the DLC is entirely new. No harm in continuing to spoiler it until we've got the whole skinny, y'know?
    He is not story relevant and it's just a side mission, nothing more or less. Just like Kasumi if want to put it that way, it also comes with new weapons and outfits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)