1. Post #5681
    Lmao Pics Authority Jesus
    Dennab
    February 2012
    8,769 Posts
    they also said something about me3 having more temp squadmates in the same fashion as liara in lair of the shadow broker
    I thought it was tossed around that the ME2 squad will show up for loyalty mission-esque stuff

And I also heard that Legion might play your IT guy or something

Edited:

I'm okay with Vega's personality, but his appearance is just... I don't know, out of place? He's like twice the size of every other character, and face wise looks like a frog had sex with Soap from Call of Duty.
    I know, that's what bothers me the most too... He's so obviously inspired from CoD characters, and I hate that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

2. Post #5682
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    Am I the only one who couldn't give less of a fuck about the whole DLC shitstorm and is still really looking forward to this game?
    I'm a little taken aback by the whole thing, but from how I've seen it described in the IAMA on reddit, I've got most of my fears sorted out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #5683
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    8,034 Posts
    Mass Effect 2 shall go down in history as the most worthless video game story of all time.

"Hey look, we spent all this time and effort characterizing & detailing all these new people just so they could join your squad, want to use them in ME3? Too bad fucker!"
    I'm gonna go ahead and wait for the game to actually be released before I discredit Mass Effect 2 entirely.

Maybe I'm just crazy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #5684
    Dennab
    February 2012
    8,769 Posts
    on another topic, I really need an avatar for these forums.

I'm looking for something adorable and mass effect related.

Edited:

I'm gonna go ahead and wait for the game to actually be released before I discredit Mass Effect 2 entirely.

Maybe I'm just crazy.
    I must admit, it does seem very, very odd that ME3 feels like a continuation of the first one, (Overwhelming reaper threat, same team, same color schemes, etc) where as 2 branches off into new places.

Honestly though, 2 is one of my top 10 games ever. I am loving it so much.

5. Post #5685
    One

July 2011
    72 Posts
    Wait Wrex isn't a squadmate in ME3?

/late

6. Post #5686
    Dennab
    February 2012
    8,769 Posts
    Wait Wrex isn't a squadmate in ME3?

/late
    Nope. Enjoy Vega instead as our new krogan.

7. Post #5687
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,140 Posts
    Umm... the Me3 squad has been confirmed.

-Tali Zorah (GRRR)
    -Garrus Vakarian
    -Virmire Survivor
    -Liara T'soni
    -James Vega
     South African Protheans   

Personally, I think Vega's bullshit. He seems like a roided up Gears style guy, that they're trying to pass as my new Krogan.

ALSO... why have the entire ME1 team and then abandon Wrex? Seriously?
    Don't give me the "oh he can die" excuse, cause so can Garrus and Tali.
    And to busy with the Krogans? Bitch, we got reapers to deal with! Haul ass, Wrex.
    Now this just makes me sad. I enjoyed guddamn killing things with concussive shot and neural blast at the same time
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

8. Post #5688
    June 2011
    8,717 Posts
    Now this just makes me sad. I enjoyed guddamn killing things with concussive shot and neural blast at the same time
    Guddamn I wish we could take 3 people with us, Zaeed, Garrus, and Legion would be the ultimate bro-squad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

9. Post #5689
    One

July 2011
    72 Posts
    Wow that sucks, the 2nd half of them demo gave me the impression Wrex would be a squadmate.

10. Post #5690
    Dennab
    February 2012
    8,769 Posts
    Who would you prefer?

Incredibly badass Krogan warlord who's been around for ages, seen insane shit, killed insane shit, helped kill Saren, (And for most of us, was probably by our side the whole time). And now he's king of the Krogans. Look at him. He looks hardcore. I don't wanna piss him off.

Or some bland roided up CoD protagonist reject who's completely new to the squad, and hasn't done shit for Shepard.

WHY BIOWARE, WHY?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

11. Post #5691
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,140 Posts
    Guddamn I wish we could take 3 people with us, Zaeed, Garrus, and Legion would be the ultimate bro-squad.
    Zaeed and Garrus have such similar abilities it's really Zaeed you should use unless you're a Soldier willing to use Concussive Shot and Inferno Grenade (at least in ME2).

I never really used legion though I should have.

12. Post #5692
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    8,034 Posts
    Y'know, I've seen this argument come up many times before with the "Mass Effect 2 is worthless!" and my response is usually the same every time. People really need to STOP looking at ME2 for its relevance to the overall story arc of the Reaper threat, and instead look at its relevance to the characters and to the large subplots such as the Quarian/Geth conflict and the Genophage project, both of which were MASSIVELY expanded in Mass Effect 2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

13. Post #5693
    Dennab
    February 2012
    8,769 Posts
    I honestly thought Wrex was such a fan favorite he would've made his way in

Fucking tali got in

14. Post #5694
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    8,034 Posts
    Who would you prefer?

Or some bland roided up CoD protagonist reject who's completely new to the squad, and hasn't done shit for Shepard.

WHY BIOWARE, WHY?
    If I'm being honest, once you get past his looks James Vega seems like a pretty cool character. Plus, he's voiced by Freddie Prinze Jr who is an actual, legitimate fan of the series.

15. Post #5695
    Dennab
    February 2012
    8,769 Posts
    Zaeed and Garrus have such similar abilities it's really Zaeed you should use unless you're a Soldier willing to use Concussive Shot and Inferno Grenade (at least in ME2).

I never really used legion though I should have.
    Garrus wins over Zaeed on higher difficulties for Overload, which becomes essential for wiping out Blue Suns mercs.

Edited:

If I'm being honest, once you get past his looks James Vega seems like a pretty cool character. Plus, he's voiced by Freddie Prinze Jr who is an actual, legitimate fan of the series.
    I'd like him better if he wasn't trying to be my new Krogan.

16. Post #5696
    One

July 2011
    72 Posts
    I really like Tali. I'm playing through ME1 and Wrex and Tali and usually the ones I take. I'm on Zhu's Hope right now.

17. Post #5697
    June 2011
    8,717 Posts
    Y'know, I've seen this argument come up many times before with the "Mass Effect 2 is worthless!" and my response is usually the same every time. People really need to STOP looking at ME2 for its relevance to the overall story arc of the Reaper threat, and instead look at its relevance to the characters and to the large subplots such as the Quarian/Geth conflict and the Genophage project, both of which were MASSIVELY expanded in Mass Effect 2.
    That's what the game should have been based on, instead we got this collector's bullshit that came out of nowhere and wasn't even hinted at in ME1, the genophage and Quarian/Geth conflict at best got a handful of missions dedicated to them, the entire game should have been expanding on this stuff.

It doesn't help that Shepard's brain is apparently immortal and can survive falling through a planet's atmosphere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #5698
    Dennab
    February 2012
    8,769 Posts
    I really like Tali. I'm playing through ME1 and Wrex and Tali and usually the ones I take. I'm on Zhu's Hope right now.
    Really? Tali was the only character in the entire series I simply cannot stand. She annoys the piss outta me.

I made a point after every mission to chat up everyone (This took upwards of an hour or two) but I couldn't stand Tali. She always seemed to fucking ramble about stuff that I couldn't care less about.

On another weird topic, during Me2, I'm finding my favorite personality to be Jacob (HOLYSHITHERESY). He's such a friendly dude, honestly, he's like, the happiest dude in the galaxy. Jacob's the kind of guy I'd like to have a drink with.

19. Post #5699
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,140 Posts
    Garrus wins over Zaeed on higher difficulties for Overload, which becomes essential for wiping out Blue Suns mercs.

Edited:

I'd like him better if he wasn't trying to be my new Krogan.

Inferno Grenade with blast radius really has no competition

20. Post #5700
    Dennab
    February 2012
    8,769 Posts
    That's what the game should have been based on, instead we got this collector's bullshit that came out of nowhere and wasn't even hinted at in ME1, the genophage and Quarian/Geth conflict at best got a handful of missions dedicated to them, the entire game should have been expanding on this stuff.

It doesn't help that Shepard's brain is apparently immortal and can survive falling through a planet's atmosphere.
    I'm still under the belief that Shepard never truly died.

Fuck you otherwise. That was goddamn retarded. I'm retconning it myself that Cerberus captured him and re-built him and made a story so he'd trust him, or such, maybe even implant tech that made him more willing. The Shepard revival was so bloody dumb. That was the one part of ME2 I hated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #5701
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    8,047 Posts
    I honestly thought Wrex was such a fan favorite he would've made his way in

Fucking tali got in
    Whats the beef with her?

22. Post #5702
    Dennab
    February 2012
    8,769 Posts
    Inferno Grenade with blast radius really has no competition
    I play on Insane though, so I need Overload, as shields is the most common defense. I also like Garrus on a personal level :V

23. Post #5703
    One

July 2011
    72 Posts
    Really? Tali was the only character in the entire series I simply cannot stand. She annoys the piss outta me.

I made a point after every mission to chat up everyone (This took upwards of an hour or two) but I couldn't stand Tali. She always seemed to fucking ramble about stuff that I couldn't care less about.

On another weird topic, during Me2, I'm finding my favorite personality to be Jacob (HOLYSHITHERESY). He's such a friendly dude, honestly, he's like, the happiest dude in the galaxy. Jacob's the kind of guy I'd like to have a drink with.
    It's probably just because I like all the technology and like quarians, I can see how some would see her annoying though. To be honest I'd rather have Jacob than Vega in ME3.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #5704
    Dennab
    February 2012
    8,769 Posts
    Whats the beef with her?
    I know she has a huge fanbase but I can't stand her

She's just never interesting
    always talking about her people's history
    when Wrex is talking about how he killed 50 dudes while sleeping or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #5705
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,140 Posts
    I play on Insane though, so I need Overload, as shields is the most common defense. I also like Garrus on a personal level :V
    so do I, I love Garrus, but like I said, I just cannot guddamn get over how hilarious Zaeed is to have in combat.

If anything I'd use like, Miranda and Zaeed if I really needed overload. Most of the time I play a class that has something similar to or has Overload.

26. Post #5706
    Dennab
    February 2012
    8,769 Posts
    It's probably just because I like all the technology and like quarians, I can see how some would see her annoying though. To be honest I'd rather have Jacob than Vega in ME3.
    ....So would I.

I really did like Jacob.

Edited:

so do I, I love Garrus, but like I said, I just cannot guddamn get over how hilarious Zaeed is to have in combat.

If anything I'd use like, Miranda and Zaeed if I really needed overload. Most of the time I play a class that has something similar to or has Overload.
    Miranda and Zaeed/Garrus is my go-to squad. Miranda's Warp+Overload covers most of my needs, and then Garr-Bear covers my personal satisfaction and asskicking.
    Zaeed/Garr-bear get swapped out for Mordin on occasions though, Incinerate is a blast, and he's hillarious in combat (Just trying to help!)

27. Post #5707
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    Exactly. The Reapers are just the catalyst for all the events occurring in the galaxy reaching a head. Yes, they're also the pivotal element in the future of all life, and existence as we know it, but even if they're beaten back, the wake of the conflicts they have caused would be felt for generations.

If it wasn't for Sovereign reaching out to the Geth, would they have stayed behind the Veil? If the Collectors never targeted human colonies, where would Cerberus be now? Shepard? If Sovereign/Saren didn't attack Eden Prime in the first place, and the entire series of events in ME1 never happened, where would humanity be?

Then, what would happen when the Reapers finally did come?

Mass Effect 2 was vital for illustrating just how vibrant and alive the galaxy was, and for demonstrating what will be lost when the Reapers come, and just how many ways the shit can hit the fan. It was made to introduce all the plot elements to be used in ME3, from Cerberus to the (alluded to in ME2) Geth Civil War.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

28. Post #5708
    Dennab
    February 2012
    8,769 Posts
    Is it just me, or did Mass Effect 2 seem much more gritty and dark than the first?

The first seemed kinda lighthearted Sci-Fi tale, while the second got downright disturbing someplaces.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

29. Post #5709
    December 2011
    1,575 Posts
    "i hate james vega because he's not somebody I know and I'm not even going to give him a chance because of his appearance"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

30. Post #5710
    Dennab
    February 2012
    8,769 Posts
    "i hate james vega because he's not somebody I know and I'm not even going to give him a chance because of his appearance"
    dude pretty much

oh wait shit you were being sarcastic

damn

31. Post #5711
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,140 Posts
    ....So would I.

I really did like Jacob.

Edited:

Miranda and Zaeed/Garrus is my go-to squad. Miranda's Warp+Overload covers most of my needs, and then Garr-Bear covers my personal satisfaction and asskicking.
    Zaeed/Garr-bear get swapped out for Mordin on occasions though, Incinerate is a blast, and he's hillarious in combat (Just trying to help!)
    but yeah if I had three I'd pick Garrus, Zaeed, and probably Mordin.

"Flammable! Inflammable! Forget which. Doesn't matter!"

32. Post #5712
    Dennab
    February 2012
    8,769 Posts
    but yeah if I had three I'd pick Garrus, Zaeed, and probably Mordin.

"Flammable! Inflammable! Forget which. Doesn't matter!"
    Which class did you roll? We seem to have very similar loadouts so far.

33. Post #5713
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    Is it just me, or did Mass Effect 2 seem much more gritty and dark than the first?

The first seemed kinda lighthearted Sci-Fi tale, while the second got downright disturbing someplaces.
    Mass Effect 1 was presented as less gritty and hard core because it was detached from the individual, personal level of ME2. ME1 was setting the stage for the galactic battles of ME3, so the emphasis on individual losses and atrocities was lowered.

However, I think the entire idea of the Thorian, the Reapers, knowing how Husks are "made", and Cerberus, were all very dark.

34. Post #5714
    December 2009
    11,826 Posts
    I'm still under the belief that Shepard never truly died.

Fuck you otherwise. That was goddamn retarded. I'm retconning it myself that Cerberus captured him and re-built him and made a story so he'd trust him, or such, maybe even implant tech that made him more willing. The Shepard revival was so bloody dumb. That was the one part of ME2 I hated.
    So in a universe where people can create miniature gravity vortexes and overload electronics with implants, reviving someone after having spent billions and billions of credits on doing so is stupid?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #5715
    One

July 2011
    72 Posts
    It's not that I don't like Vega, but having people you've had with you and been through it all (Like Tali, Garrus, Joker, ect.), it makes the game more enjoyable to me personally. I'm not saying Vega will be bad, but it's nice to have some people who've been with you the last 2 games.

36. Post #5716
    May 2011
    392 Posts
    Umm... the Me3 squad has been confirmed.

-Tali Zorah (GRRR)
    -Garrus Vakarian
    -Virmire Survivor
    -Liara T'soni
    -James Vega
     South African Protheans   

Personally, I think Vega's bullshit. He seems like a roided up Gears style guy, that they're trying to pass as my new Krogan.

ALSO... why have the entire ME1 team and then abandon Wrex? Seriously?
    Don't give me the "oh he can die" excuse, cause so can Garrus and Tali.
    And to busy with the Krogans? Bitch, we got reapers to deal with! Haul ass, Wrex.
    I thought it was pretty clearly addressed that there are no permanent squadmates.

I'm sticking to the theory that the way you played through ME1 and ME2 define your squad and that you won't be limited to a squad selection screen with Tali/Garrus/Liara/Vega/Virmire Survivor/DLC Character with random points in the game where a cameo appearance by an ME2 squadmate will replace one of your slots.

Then again that may very well be how ME3 works...

Oh well, we'll see in two weeks.

37. Post #5717
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    6,968 Posts
    Best setup for SP:

Shepard as Sentinel, Miranda and Garrus.

Shields, armor, and barriers dropping everywhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #5718
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,140 Posts
    Which class did you roll? We seem to have very similar loadouts so far.
    That playthrough I was a Soldier (Concussive Shot and Overload or something like that)

39. Post #5719
    Dennab
    February 2012
    8,769 Posts
    So in a universe where people can create miniature gravity vortexes and overload electronics, reviving someone after having spent billions and billions of credits on doing so is stupid?
    ...I don't know When you put it like that, yeah, it's stupid, but Shepard's revival honestly never seemed to click with me. I never quite got how magic Cerberus had to be to make his brain come back.

Edited:

That playthrough I was a Soldier (Concussive Shot and Overload or something like that)
    Ha, as did I!

Call me insanely boring, but my first ever playthrough was a Vanderloo Soldier.
    I've grown attached to him, and he's carried through ever since. Everyone always says I'm incredibly boring for doing that, but I just pretend that in ads and stuff, they're using my character.
    Makes it better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #5720
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    6,968 Posts
    ...I don't know When you put it like that, yeah, it's stupid, but Shepard's revival honestly never seemed to click with me. I never quite got how magic Cerberus had to be to make his brain come back.
    We've been over this before:

Mass Effect fields.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Agree Agree x 4 (list)