1. Post #7641
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    18,647 Posts
    I think that's a stupid idea. "Oh, someone wants to have the story of Mass Effect but isn't seasoned in shooters and isn't good at it? FUCK THEM OVER, CAUSE ONLY WE PEOPLE WHO PLAY ON ACTION ONLY ARE THE BEST
    Wait, where did I say that? Or are you talking about the bad design decision whereby the plague-bearing CoDfish swim into our untroubled waters, with Action and Story looking lame in comparison to RPG?

I know that i'll only play RPG version, where the combat, story and RPG elements are strong, and won't give much ado about the version for jarheads, or the version that whilst is strong in story, is honestly for weak whelps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #7642
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,037 Posts
    "Mass Effect 3 is a perfect place for new players to enter the series"
    ME2 on Easy or w/e it was was pretty fucking easy. I died maybe once?

Edited:

Wait, where did I say that? Or are you talking about the bad design decision whereby the plague-bearing CoDfish swim into our untroubled waters, with Action and Story looking lame in comparison to RPG?

I know that i'll only play RPG version, where the combat, story and RPG elements are strong, and won't give much ado about the version for jarheads, or the version that whilst is strong in story, is honestly for weak whelps.
    Oh derp I read that backwards as the non-combat difficulty
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #7643
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #7644
    August 2010
    193 Posts

i have no friends :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #7645
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    6,962 Posts
    http://imgur.com/JhePx oh god im new how do you post images
    Put [img][/img] around the link for the full image, or ["t"] [/"t"] without the quotes for a clickable thumbnail
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #7646
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,758 Posts
    Mark Meer isn't all that different

That's OBVIOUSLY Jennifer Hale, duh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

7. Post #7647
    March 2010
    4,472 Posts
    Speaking of Legion, does    saving those Geth instead of killing them or whatever on Legion's loyalty quest make a difference? And what about the Rachni?   
       ID=210 Geth Heretics Saved Type: Modifier - StartingStrength=0 ConditionalDescription="Saved the Geth in ME2"
    ID=216 Geth Heretics Destroyed Type: Modifier - StartingStrength=0 ConditionalDescription="Destroyed the Geth in ME2" 

Both have 0 impact, they don't give any points or take them away. It simply has no influence.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

8. Post #7648
    March 2011
    1,744 Posts
    Not even any diplomatic influence?!

Wait, is this from the demo?

Developers tend to make a demo version and a final version. The demo being an earlier point with specific stuff programmed in to change things so its like a clean slate while you do everything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

9. Post #7649
    March 2010
    4,472 Posts
    Not even any diplomatic influence?!

Wait, is this from the demo?
    Yes, it's from the demo. Bioware has the manner not to delete plot relevant files from their stuff before handing it out.

Developers tend to make a demo version and a final version. The demo being an earlier point with specific stuff programmed in to change things so its like a clean slate while you do everything.
    Do you realize this was confirmed by two people owning the space copies? Bioware didn't change the plot as promised and the game will pan out as in old and recent leaks stated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #7650

September 2010
    177 Posts
    That's OBVIOUSLY Jennifer Hale, duh.
    Nah, default femshep irl
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

11. Post #7651
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    18,647 Posts
    To be honest, having Mass Effect 3 be a "perfect place for newcomers" is a horrible idea. EA should've simply pointed towards the original Mass Effect (maybe give it a bit of polish) and said "start here to begin your Mass Effect experience", maybe even bundle Mass Effect 2 into the package so the newcomers can get up to speed quicker.

It woulda been a win-win situation; the newcomers experience the fullness of the Mass Effect universe, whilst EA rakes in a substantial pile of monies from the Mass Effect 1 & 2 bundles they buy (whilst BioWare wait for the crumbs to fall from the master's table).

But nope; they had to mush it up to appeal to the newcomers, whereas they shouldn't be taking the short course and instead invest in the other two games as well. Sure I enjoy the multiplayer component very muchly, but I can't help but feel that it might have taken away something from singleplayer development, most likely time and resources.

I only hope they look back on their mistakes and make a Director's Cut with better writing (it's still fairly decent writing, but doesn't seem as super-stellar as the earlier ones).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #7652
    March 2010
    4,472 Posts
    To be honest, having Mass Effect 3 be a "perfect place for newcomers" is a horrible idea. EA should've simply pointed towards the original Mass Effect (maybe give it a bit of polish) and said "start here to begin your Mass Effect experience", maybe even bundle Mass Effect 2 into the package so the newcomers can get up to speed quicker.

Yeah but according to the official gameplay stats (gathered by the in-built tracker) the game wasn't "casual enough" to make more than 50% care about even finishing it. Most of the Mass Effect 1 players never left the Citadel. I can only wonder where they stopped playing ME2?

Most complaints I hear are about: "Too much talking, too much running around places, not shooting enough things."

I've finished CoD:MW3 at a friend's place in 4 hours (was horrible), Mass Effect 2 takes 33 hours. Attention spans of typical ADHD gamers are too low to stand this experience.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

13. Post #7653
    [SIZE=6][COLOR="#EE82EE"]Hardcore My Little Pony Fan[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    July 2008
    5,870 Posts
    if your wondering why no aliens there, because facepunch is xenophobic.

Looking at the people who voted..46 people. I wonder how many of them will actually be watching the stream
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

14. Post #7654
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,923 Posts
    this is mark meer

that nude guy is mark vanderloo (aka sheploo)
    On the subject of Mark Meer, an old (but good) video of him doing VA.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

15. Post #7655
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,571 Posts
    this is mark meer

that nude guy is mark vanderloo (aka sheploo)
    You know, I don't know why they didn't use Meer for Sheps default face, instead of using some uppity dutch model.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

16. Post #7656
    December 2011
    1,575 Posts
       ID=210 Geth Heretics Saved Type: Modifier - StartingStrength=0 ConditionalDescription="Saved the Geth in ME2"
    ID=216 Geth Heretics Destroyed Type: Modifier - StartingStrength=0 ConditionalDescription="Destroyed the Geth in ME2" 

Both have 0 impact, they don't give any points or take them away. It simply has no influence.   
    Again, thos are listed as modifiers, I'm fairly certain none of the modifiers have strength. Assets give strength.

17. Post #7657
    February 2012
    157 Posts
    You know, I don't know why they didn't use Meer for Sheps default face, instead of using some uppity dutch model.
    Don't know, but nowadays don't even care. I mean can anyone in this thread think how Shepards voice would fit to that face. And don't throw any ''But that is the voice actor of Shepard'' shit at me, trust me I know that already
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events

18. Post #7658
    May 2011
    2,934 Posts
    You know, I don't know why they didn't use Meer for Sheps default face.
    His jawline is less severe and doesn't portray the aggressive and assertive nature that Vanerloo's does. Vanderloo's face is more stereotypically 'heroic' (like Captain Titus from Space Marine) and I reckon that's what Bioware wanted to portray Shepard as.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

19. Post #7659
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,388 Posts
    My campaign starts again from now, time to replay ME1 as I haven't played for well over a year so pretty much forgot most things. May as well treat this playthrough as brand new like i've never played before.

Got some days off Uni and i'm ill at the moment so i'll most likely play a whole lot of hours completing what I can again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

20. Post #7660
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    18,647 Posts
    Attention spans of typical ADHD gamers are too low to stand this experience.
    Well then, I hate to say this since it might sound predjudiced and bad for business, but maybe Mass Effect isn't the type of game they should play? If they lack the attention span required for an RPG, which is what Mass Effect IS, maybe they're more suited to less in-depth things like Modern Warfare? (oh god oh god I can't believe I recommended that they play a bland candy-machine shooter)

Thing is, if they're the age they are and they still lack the ability to appreciate a solid RPG experience, chances are they either won't be able to appreciate such things in general, or that it'll take more time for them to age and become more "refined" and appreciate the finer things. Basically, if they aren't cut out for playing RPGs, they shouldn't play RPGs.

I'm sorry, but that's the way things are, and no amount of capitalism and executive meddling can change human nature. Unless of course it's bio-engineering, but that stuff's got a ways to go before it's cheap enough to go mainstream. Nonetheless, you shouldn't be playing RPGs if you aren't cut out for them.

Besides, one of the reasons why some people didn't finish the game may have been related to real-life matters like education or work chewing up their free time, and not just because of "typical ADHD(/ADD) gamers". Sure they may have been a factor in those statistics but a lack of time was also a likely factor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #7661
    March 2010
    7,896 Posts
    Vanderloo is fuckin sexy. But I guess that's why he's a model.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

22. Post #7662
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,644 Posts
    I guess his features aren't exaggerated enough.

I'd like to see someone try and recreate him in the face-maker though. As far as custom Shephards go, he's a pretty good face-model.

23. Post #7663
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    7,536 Posts
    Offtopic to you guys but

BSN is bitching about the endings, I am very glad they are all bitter-sweet and sad. Mass-Effect wasn't really ever supposed to be happy or have perfect endings. I thought Pretty much all of ME2 made this clear, even ME1's was that of false happiness. But I guess thats really up to debate. But I love how they all bitch that "ME1-ME2's endings made you feel like a god, but ME3's SUCKS".    

24. Post #7664
    August 2009
    805 Posts
    Does anyone know how many stops you can make after the    Collector ship abducts your crew     in ME2?
    (Tagged becuase there is bound to be atleast one person who hasn't completed the game )

25. Post #7665
    June 2010
    4,861 Posts
    I think
    Thanks to ME1
    I might manage to get every squaddie loyal
    Jack wasn't loyal because of the argument.

26. Post #7666
    27X
    Rantasaurus Rex
    July 2010
    5,999 Posts
    Well then, I hate to say this since it might sound predjudiced and bad for business, but maybe Mass Effect isn't the type of game they should play? If they lack the attention span required for an RPG, which is what Mass Effect IS, maybe they're more suited to less in-depth things like Modern Warfare? (oh god oh god I can't believe I recommended that they play a bland candy-machine shooter)

Thing is, if they're the age they are and they still lack the ability to appreciate a solid RPG experience, chances are they either won't be able to appreciate such things in general, or that it'll take more time for them to age and become more "refined" and appreciate the finer things. Basically, if they aren't cut out for playing RPGs, they shouldn't play RPGs.

I'm sorry, but that's the way things are, and no amount of capitalism and executive meddling can change human nature. Unless of course it's bio-engineering, but that stuff's got a ways to go before it's cheap enough to go mainstream. Nonetheless, you shouldn't be playing RPGs if you aren't cut out for them.

Besides, one of the reasons why some people didn't finish the game may have been related to real-life matters like education or work chewing up their free time, and not just because of "typical ADHD(/ADD) gamers". Sure they may have been a factor in those statistics but a lack of time was also a likely factor.
    While that works in generalist theory, the caveats are when BW was indie they needed capital to bring this stuff out in the first place, and now that they aren't, there are some serious expectations tied to every title they make. That's how the business works now. It's very easy to rationalize these decisions within the aegis of furthering profit = guaranteed full time employment + benefits and awesome workplace + insurance for all etc etc etc. This kind of shit adds up quick. The baseball player who started Kingdom of Amalur spent millions and millions getting off the ground, and the average cost for a three system A game is about 15 mil. Ain't cheap anymore, by any metric.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #7667
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,644 Posts
    Offtopic to you guys but

BSN is bitching about the endings, I am very glad they are all bitter-sweet and sad. Mass-Effect wasn't really ever supposed to be happy or have perfect endings. I thought Pretty much all of ME2 made this clear, even ME1's was that of false happiness. But I guess thats really up to debate. But I love how they all bitch that "ME1-ME2's endings made you feel like a god, but ME3's SUCKS".    
       My brother told me the leak said the whole team starve to death at some point.

It was funny. 

28. Post #7668
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    7,536 Posts
    Does anyone know how many stops you can make after the    Collector ship abducts your crew     in ME2?
    (Tagged becuase there is bound to be atleast one person who hasn't completed the game )
    Just one, and ( I think it has to be Legion's mission) that is pushing it.

29. Post #7669
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,758 Posts

The kind of gamers who enjoy Mass Effect will likely have heard about it through other means, so don't need advertising to. Bioware's got to attract the ADHD gamers for the sake of business.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #7670
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    7,536 Posts
       My brother told me the leak said the whole team starve to death at some point.

It was funny. 

Its all completely up the viewer from what people said. There is like 3-6 endings with loads of variations. I honestly don't know because every leak is vague and always pulls dumb shit like "THE LAST PERSON YOU HAVE AS A FLASHBACK IS LIARA CAUSE OF A GLITCH" and I'm like 'sure okay I believe that definitely'   

31. Post #7671
    "some of those dragon dildo designs are pretty cool"
    February 2007
    8,670 Posts
    Don't do any sidequests or shit, you gots to go straight through the relay.

Edited:

Just one, and ( I think it has to be Legion's mission) that is pushing it.
    Quite sure some of the NSR2's crew got all    liquefied    if you did that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

32. Post #7672
    June 2010
    4,861 Posts
    With luck, you can nab leigon's loyalty before    The collectors show up   

33. Post #7673
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    18,888 Posts
    You can do two missions after IFF, although visiting hubs might not count.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

34. Post #7674
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,644 Posts
    Quite sure some of the NSR2's crew got all    liquefied    if you did that.
    I do Legion's mission as soon as I get him, having done everything I needed to beforehand. You can still save the whole crew if you only have literally one stop before you go into the Omega 4 Relay.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #7675
    [SIZE=6][COLOR="#EE82EE"]Hardcore My Little Pony Fan[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    July 2008
    5,870 Posts
    Vanderloo is fuckin sexy. But I guess that's why he's a model.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

36. Post #7676
    Puddin'
    November 2008
    10,350 Posts
    Don't do any sidequests or shit, you gots to go straight through the relay.
    You can do one mission before going through the relay and still rescue everyone, I think.

37. Post #7677
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,043 Posts
    Eurgh.

The whole thing about the events of Mass Effect 1 and 2 not making almost any impact to what happens in Mass Effect 3 really pisses me off to no end.

This is just me, but, screw worrying about the people who haven't played the first two. If they want to find out what happens, they can either play them, read about the plots, or have someone tell them.

They shouldn't make it detract from the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

38. Post #7678
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,571 Posts
    The kind of gamers who enjoy Mass Effect will likely have heard about it through other means, so don't need advertising to. Bioware's got to attract the ADHD gamers for the sake of business.
    They essentially don't need to worry about existing players at this point, because people who have played the previous games will almost certainly buy the third regardless. They instead focus on people who haven't yet got into the series, due to too much boring talking/not enough wicked cool explosions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #7679
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    18,888 Posts
    I do Legion's mission as soon as I get him, having done everything I needed to beforehand. You can still save the whole crew if you only have literally one stop before you go into the Omega 4 Relay.
    You get two stops. I did Tali's loyalty with Legion and then Legion's after the IFF just a couple days ago and yet everyone survived.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #7680
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,758 Posts
    They essentially don't need to worry about existing players at this point, because people who have played the previous games will almost certainly buy the third regardless. They instead focus on people who haven't yet got into the series, due to too much boring talking/not enough wicked cool explosions.
    Exactly. Which is why I don't worry about the marketing being all "BAM ZOOM WOAAAAH!"