1. Post #1
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    25,431 Posts
    Dwarf Fortress

OP by Thorny.

Dwarf Fortress is a rogue-like game that focuses on the establishment and long-term maintaining of a dwarven settlement. Everything is rendered in ASCII, although there are "tilesets" and "charsets" that render everything differently. [/release]

[release]

Dwarf Fortress started development in 2001, and no public release was made until 2006.

Originally the game was simply 2D (meaning, there were no z levels. You could not go up or down). There was no variety in the maps. On the left, there is a grassland, and on the right side, there is a mountain, further in a cave river, chasm, magma and then adamantine/the Pits.

Then, the 3D version was released, with the major addition of Z levels, and mechanics. This expanded gameplay tremendously, but made underground rivers, magma, and creatures etc unique to their landscape. To clarify, this is not in a 3D view, but adds 3D features. Whereas in the 2D version you could go left and right, x and y axis, the 3D version adds up/down, the z-axis. Once more, THIS IS FROM THE SAME VIEW AS THE 2D VERSION, TOP-DOWN.

Released on April Fools Day 2010, DF 2010, the latest big update, was an overhaul to a huge chunk of the game, that took over a year to do! For example, Combat has been changed, materials and items reworked, Dwarven Healthcare introduced, Burrows created and the Underground overhauled, to name a few! Take a look in the new version subsection of the Features section for a more detailed changelog of what's been added/changed!

The latest 3D version is here:

Military Use in DF2010:

Forming Squads
    Before you can do ANYTHING with your military, you need to designate a militia commander in the noble screen (n). Don't worry, he doesn't have any requirements and doesn't set mandates. While you're at it, designate an arsenal dwarf too, and give him an office somewhere - he's the fortress quartermaster, and without him your squads won't end up with any equipment other than what they were already wearing.
    The way it works now is that every squad leader is designated in the noble screen - once you designate a militia commander it will open up a slot for "Militia captain", and once you designate one of those it opens another captain slot, etc. As far as I can tell, these roles are all functionally equivalent.

Once you've designated a commander/captain, going to the military screen (m) will show that dwarf under the "Squads/Leaders" heading and you'll notice an option to create a new squad. Doing that changes the the display of the dwarf from his name to the squad's name. You can then fill out the squad from anyone in the fort by filling in the "Squad Positions" heading.

Okay, here's where people seem to start getting lost: Equipping your squad. The first thing you should look at is the "Uniforms" tab. You don't actually need to change anything here, but it's good to understand how just in case you want to. Each option under the "Uniforms" heading is essentially a pre-designed set of equipment that you can quickly apply to any individual soldier or entire squad. You can create new uniforms if you want and add or remove items from any uniform by navigating this menu.

Now go over to the "Equip" tab. Here's where you can apply those uniforms to individuals or squads. You can also straight edit a dwarf's equipment from this screen - if you want to give someone an artifact for instance, you can just select him, go over to his equipment list, get rid of whatever the normal uniform option is for that slot, and hit the hotkey listed at the top for whatever type of item the artifact is - if you select "Specific X" it will give you another list of all the items of that type in the fort (I believe it sorts by highest quality at the top, so you don't need to hunt around for the best stuff). If your squad is using ranged weapons, head over to the "Ammunition" tab and assign them something from there (If you don't care what they use, you still need to give them ammo - just pick "Bolts" and it will default to any bolts they can find).

If you've got an arsenal dwarf with an office, your squad should now retrieve their assigned equipment as soon as the arsenal dwarf signs off on it (Assuming they can find any that meet the types you set).

Getting your Squad to do Something
    Here's another big stumbling block a lot of people are having - training. It's not quite so simple as just designating a barracks and letting your dwarves have at it anymore - though once you know what to do it's not that complicated, and it gives you a LOT more control over military behaviour than before.
    First thing you should do is designate a barracks somewhere, the same way you would have in the previous version (Though you can also designate barracks from a lot of other object types than beds now - any storage object can also be used to designate a barracks or armoury room).

Once you've designated a barracks, you'll notice a list of the squads in your fort in the info pane. This is where you set how the squad uses the barracks - it defaults to empty so if you don't do anything here, your squad won't even know the barracks exists. You probably want to at least enable "Train" and "Sleep", though really what you set here is up to you, it's more important that you know it exists. If you don't have the squad set to "Train" at any of your designated barracks, they won't train. There are also options for storing equipment here - I haven't seen my dwarves doing this but I've got them all set to just leave their stuff on even off-duty, so I imagine it's more meaningful if they switch to civvies. There's also a "Position" option where you can assign specific beds/storage to specific dwarves. I don't think this is too important unless you REALLY want a particular dwarf to have the NICE armour rack. If they aren't assigned they'll just use whatever they feel like, as normal.

Now, just designating the barracks won't get them to train - because they're still off-duty. Head back to the military screen and go to the "Alerts" tab. This is sort of like the uniform tab in that it's a way to quickly assign specific behaviours to a squad - though unlike the uniform tab you really HAVE to use this one. All squads default to inactive until you set them to an alert level - you can create your own custom alerts but to keep it simple for now, just set a squad to "Active/Training". Note that to set a squad alert level, first you scroll down to the alert, then you scroll across to the squad, THEN you hit enter. If you just hit enter on the alert itself, it will set the civilians in the fort to this - for "Active/Training" it's essentially meaningless, but you can use this to order civilians to a safe area in the event of an attack (Kind of like the old "Keep indoors" option, but much better since they don't keep trying to run out the front door and turning around).

Once you've set the squad's alert level, head over to the "Schedule" tab. Along the top you'll have a list of all the squads in your fort, and on the side will be a list of the game months. Now, this is important, on the VERY top of the screen, above the squad list, is the name of the currently selected alert level. You can change this with the */ buttons on the numpad - what you're doing here is setting the squad's orders for each month when they're set to the selected alert level. If you're on "Active/Training", every month probably says "Train".

Here's the thing - the game defaults to a REALLY stupid option that most people are probably going to miss - notice on the bottom, in blue, how it says "Train, 10 minimum"? What that means is that if you have less 10 dwarves in that squad set to training (Which will always be the case since squads max out at 10), it will FORCE members of the squad to train, even when they're exhausted or starving. If you don't change this, your dwarves will be EXTREMELY miserable after a while - they might even starve to death while training - I'm not sure. Either way, hit "e" to edit the order, and use the /*-+ buttons to set the minimum to something like 1 or 2 less than the number of dwarves you have in your squad.
    If you hit "o" while on this screen, you can scroll through all the other options for orders you can give your squads. All of them except for Train will require you to set either burrows or notes while I'll explain in the next section. For now just leave it on train.

Don't forget that orders are set per month - so you only set the minimum down for one month. Copy/paste the order into all the other months. Alternatively, if you want to give your dwarves time off, you can just hit x on an order and it will set them to inactive for that month. You can also use "o" to give them more than one order during a given month, though I'm not sure how this works (My guess is that if you set your minimums properly, the squad will split evenly between the two activities to maintain the minimum values of both).

If you've set everything I mentioned above, your dwarves SHOULD spend some time training in the barracks now. Bear in mind this is a new release and pretty buggy, and dwarves weren't exactly rocket scientists in the last version either, so it might seem like they spend a lot of time waiting around for an instructor or instructee. If you just leave them alone and don't worry about it, eventually they'll figure it out and start getting some training done.

Burrows and Notes
    This is a more advanced feature of the new military options - it's similar to the old station and patrol options, but a lot more flexible because of the new alert level settings.

First things first - if you want your dwarves to guard an area, you need to set a burrow. It's pretty self-explanatory how to do that once you hit "w" from the main menu - just cover the area you want the dwarves to defend. Note that bigger is better here, at least if you want your dwarves to cover a wide area. Dwarves will detect intrusions into a burrow, and if they're set to guard that burrow, they'll immediately run to the point of the intrusion - so don't set the burrow to one square to try to get the dwarves to stand at the entrance or something. Just set it to the area you want guarded.

Burrows have a few other uses as well - you can assign civilians to burrows and what that means is that they'll only use things that are in that burrow - workshops, dining rooms, etc. Note that they'll still gather material from outside the burrow if it's not close at hand, so don't worry about dwarves starving in a burrow because there's no food in it.

Notes are how you set a patrol route. This is a bit more complicated than it used to be, but essentially, first you have to plant notes at all the points you want the dwarves to patrol, then you need to hit "r" from the note menu to bring up the routes list, and create a new patrol route and then add waypoints to it. It might seem excessively cumbersome, but the reason behind this is that you can use the same points for multiple patrol routes, if you want different squads to follow different paths.

For either of these, once you've set up the burrow/route, you can set a squad to use them via the "Schedule" screen, the same way you edit their training schedule. You can also set dwarves to just stand at a particular note like the old station option, but honestly using burrows sounds better to me. A good idea is probably to create a new alert level for "Active" duty versus just training, so you can quickly have switch your dwarves between patrolling and training.

There's also a "Burrows" header on the alerts tab of the military menu. To be honest, I don't actually know what this does. My guess is it's used to send civilians to certain burrows if you set the civilian alert level to a burrow restricted alert.

Direct Control

This is probably the simplest thing to figure out of all the new options, but I figure I might as well be thorough. First thing is open the squad menu with "s" and select a squad with a,b,c etc. (You can also select multiple squads by holding down shift and selecting a squad). Honestly, from here it's pretty intuitive. Just hit the appropriate button for the order you want to give, pick a target, and watch them go.
    You can also give orders to individual members of squads by toggling from "Select squads" to "Select individuals" with p, then selecting a squad and picking someone/multiple people from inside it.

I'm pretty sure that covers most of the basics. There's probably more advanced stuff I haven't gotten the chance to see yet, but that should at least get people far enough to have a squad training or patrolling the fort. If you guys think this looks good, I'll probably post it to the DF wiki.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The most stunning feature of Dwarf Fortress is that it creates a randomly generated, persistent world for you to play in. (The world is only "on" when you are actually playing in it, however.) When you die in either the adventure or fortress modes, your next game will be in the same world, albeit a few days later. You can visit your old fortress, or get revenge on the monster that killed your adventurer. If your fortress or your adventurer had done anything of particular note, there's a chance that the game will generate a legend for them, which you can read about in the legends section. (Provided you've discovered enough information about the legend)
    [/release]

[release]

[/release]
    [release]

Dwarf Fortress has three major game modes, a fourth non-game mode, and a sandbox arena mode.
    * Dwarf Fortress Mode: In this mode you manage a number of dwarves whose task is to create a fortress.
    * Reclaim Fortress: Once you have created and abandoned/lost a fortress, you can take a band of military dwarves to fight the monsters that now inhabit it. If you succeed, the fortress is yours to play in once more, just like the standard dwarf fortress mode.
    * Adventure Mode: In this mode you explore the world in a fashion similar to Rogue, Nethack, or Angband, completing quests and killing monsters. In adventure mode you can uncover details about your world's legends.
    * Legends: In the fourth mode you can read more about the legends of your world, provided you've discovered them through adventuring.
    * Arena Mode: This mode was released with the latest large-release of the game, and allows you to spawn any creatures you want in an enclosed arena, assign them teams and armour/weaponry, and fight them to the death! This mode is perfect for testing out modded creatures, as well as simply having some sandbox fun!

[/release]
    [release]

* The world is randomly generated with distinct civilizations spanning over 1000 years of history, dozens of towns, hundreds of caves and regions with various wildlife.
    * The world persists as long as you like, over many games, recording historical events and tracking changes.
    * Command your dwarves as they search for wealth in the mountain.
    * Craft treasures and furniture from many materials and improve these objects with precious metals, jewels and more.
    * Defend yourself against attacks from hostile civilizations, the wilderness and the depths.
    * Support the nobility as they make demands of your populace.
    * Keep your dwarves happy and read their thoughts as they work and relax.
    * Z coordinate allows you to dig out fortresses with multiple levels. Build towers or conquer the depths.
    * Build floodgates to divert water for farming or to drown your adversaries.
    * Much much more...
    * Play an adventurer and explore, quest for glory or seek vengeance.
    * Meet adversaries from previous games.
    * Recruit people in towns to come with you on your journey.
    * Explore without cumbersome plot restrictions.
    * Seamlessly wander the world -- 197376 x 197376 squares total -- or travel more rapidly on the region map.
    * Accept quests from the town and civilization leaders.
    * Retire and meet your old characters. Bring them along on an adventure with a new character or reactivate them and play directly.
    * Z coordinate allows you to move seamlessly between dungeon levels and scale structures fighting adversaries above and below.
    * The combat model uses skills, body parts, wrestling, charging and dodging between squares, bleeding, pain, nausea, and much more.
    * A dynamic weather model tracks wind, humidity and air masses to create fronts, clouds, rain storms and blizzards.
    * Over two hundred rock and mineral types are incorporated into the world, placed in their proper geological environments.
    * Add new creatures, weapons, plants, metals and other objects via modifiable text files.
    * Extended ASCII character set rendered in 16 colors (including black) as well as 8 background colors (including black).

[/release]
    [release]

Due the the very easy editing of the raws, (simple text files that make up a lot of the game) many mods have been created that can range from full conversions of races, creatures and items to a simple additional stone type.

Pending release of updated mods for the new version (due to new raw-files), there's nothing here right now!

If you think a specific mod should be in this section, tell me!

[/release]
    [release]

Pending release of updated tools for the latest version, there's nothing here right now!

If you think a specific tool should be in this section, tell me!

[/release]
    [release]

Video Tutorials - 40 video tutorials on almost everything you'll need to know to play!

Indecisive's Illustrated Dwarf Fortress Tutorial

Your First Fortress

The Wiki - The most useful site related to Dwarf Fortress - Go here for anything and everything.

The Official Forums

Dev Log - Check it every now and again for latest developments.

The awesome tale of Boatmurdered.

[/release]
    [release]Pregenned Worlds
    Pending release of pre-genned worlds for the new version, there's nothing here right now!

If you think a specific pre-genned world should be in this section, tell me!

[/release]
    [release]Tilesets and Character Sets

Though many of us are used to, and like to play with, the default ASCII graphics, you may be more comfortable using a tileset or character set, which renders everything in the game as pictures, instead of ASCII characters, perhaps making things easier for the newer player.

Currently there are no tile/character sets for the latest version of the game.
    Know of a tileset/character set that should be here? Let me know!

[/release]
    [release]

Adbor
    Angua
    Awesomecaek
    Banned?
    Canesfan
    canuhearme?
    cheesedelux
    Confused111
    CptVague
    Darth_GW7
    Dogchow33
    Dwarfy77
    EcksDee
    ElTacoLad
    Fuzzwaddle
    g1real
    GenericAlt
    Grape Soda
    HALP cat
    IAmAnooB
    Jerzy
    Killowatt
    Loofiloo
    MadCatMkII
    Maximo13
    Mr. N
    Neo Kabuto
    Nitrowing
    NotMeh
    Orkel
    PokeyMcFork
    RearAdmiral
    Resto
    Samppa
    scout1
    Seiteki
    Skullivan
    Skwee
    st0rmforce
    Swebonny
    Teh Zip File
    Terminutter
    Thorny
    timman
    war_man333
    Zezibesh

These people all play Dwarf Fortress, and if you play, I'll add you too! [/release]

Credit to FlyingDog for the pictures!

Remember:

LOSING IS FUN!

Previous Threads:
    Thread 1 - DdlyMiget
    Thread 2 - Thorny
    Thread 3 - Thorny
    Thread 4 - Thorny
    Thread 5 - Thorny
    Thread 6 - Thorny
    Thread 7 - Thorny
    Thread 8 - Thorny
    Thread 9 - Thorny
    Thread 10 - Thorny
    Thread 11 - Thorny
    Thread 12 - Thorny
    Thread 13 - Thorny
    Thread 14 - Orkel
    Edited:

let's get this shit rolling

Balance fix for 0.34.09 (v1.2):

http://horobox.co.uk/u/Orkel_1337295366.rar

objects goes to yourdffolderhere/raw (overwrite all, fixes balance), needs a new world to be generated when installed.

-Separates brain into "outer" and "inner" + toughens up the skull in order to stop weak punches instakilling everything from dwarves to dragons (and makes headshot kills harder in general).
    -Balances several weapons including but not limited to whips and arrows/bolts. No longer will copper whips rip hearts apart through masterwork steel armor!
    -Makes broken bones not hurt as much. Prevents superdwarvenly tough and muscular dwarves from going unconscious from pain after getting a single broken toe
    -Removed aquifers because they're pointless and annoying as fuck
    -Probably forgot something but those are the main ones

Square ASCII tiles + less eye raping color scheme:

http://horobox.co.uk/u/Orkel_1337272258.rar
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 16Informative Informative x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,879 Posts
    RearAdmiral cancels work: New Thread

Oh and expect a new installment of Scorchedsmith at some point, assuming anyone actually reads it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    June 2010
    6,145 Posts
    Hoping for the new edition, it can't be that much longer...
    I want an entire squad of vampires.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,673 Posts
    New thread smell

Smells like burning flesh and alcohol.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    14,399 Posts
    This thread needs more subtitle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,884 Posts
    New thread smell

Smells like burning flesh and alcohol.
    Don't forget the tears of orphans and dead kittens.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    Don't forget the tears of orphans and dead kittens.
    And farting beasts made out of platinum.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    September 2009
    992 Posts
    Mmmmmm, that new ☼DF Thread☼ smell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    5,941 Posts
    The thread menaces with spikes of raw adamantine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

10. Post #10
    April 2008
    697 Posts
    Only problem with D/F is I never learn how to make a functional army, and then all my dwarves get slaughtered by badgers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 10Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    August 2011
    696 Posts
    I love new threads.

OT: My best Fortress just got overrun by goblins
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    2,108 Posts
    I'm thinking of changing my way of designing forts from squares to circles, it looks alot nicer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

13. Post #13
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    I love new threads.

OT: My best Fortress just got overrun by goblins
    I guess it wasn't your best fortress, then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

14. Post #14
    June 2010
    6,145 Posts
    I'm thinking of changing my way of designing forts from squares to circles, it looks alot nicer.
    I'd love to do that, but it takes up so much time designating it and I always think of the potential "efficiency" (how undwarven of me) loss by not having as much space as possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

15. Post #15
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    I'd love to do that, but it takes up so much time designating it and I always think of the potential "efficiency" (how undwarven of me) loss by not having as much space as possible.
    Dfhack makes it so much easier.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    September 2009
    180 Posts
    I prefer square or rectangular rooms mainly because they're easy to manage and expand upon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,025 Posts
    Three questions if someone's willing: 1) is there any point in getting armour at a lower grade than copper 2) if not, where can I typically find iron ores (I've got shallow/deep metals) 3) is there a quick way of making a set of armour?

18. Post #18
    Add me to the people who play list please.

Also, how do I get my dwarves inside of my fortress instead of them hugging the cart?
    I forgot how.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

19. Post #19
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    Why on earth would I need a barrel of panda blood?

... I'll take ten.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,025 Posts
    How do you use butchery? I have someone designated to butchery, my squad just killed a badger boar, but it says there's no corpse to butcher. Am I missing something?

21. Post #21
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,537 Posts
    glad to see the good old trusty OP still chugging along

very excited about the new update!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    pink titles r for gaylordes
    March 2008
    4,000 Posts

Also, how do I get my dwarves inside of my fortress instead of them hugging the cart?
    I forgot how.
    I - M
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events

23. Post #23

May 2007
    53 Posts
    I have been playing some Genesis mod using the Ironhand graphics option, but my dwarves don't look like the sprites in the Ironhand pack. There defiantly dwarves, just not as nice in my opinion as the advertised ones. Anyone know what's going on there?

24. Post #24
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,387 Posts
    This thread needs more subtitle.
    It'll probably be changed to Dwarf Fortress - DF2012 out! (Or whatever he's going to call it) when the update gets released.

25. Post #25
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    might as well throw me on the people who play list
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,738 Posts
    I think the goal of this game is to lose in the most hilarious way possible

pretty accurate no?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

27. Post #27
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    I think the goal of this game is to lose in the most hilarious way possible

pretty accurate no?
    GENIUS

28. Post #28
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,387 Posts

That was close. Accidentally dug into the brook while expanding my food stockpile. (Plump helmets look like that because ASCII in Masterwork in messed up and I'm too lazy to fix it)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,025 Posts
    Sigh, kind of ran out of things to do. 25/40 of my dwarves are idling because I don't know what to do. And I've been searchign for ages but I can't find any iron ore. Any advice?

30. Post #30
    January 2008
    49 Posts

I forgot how.
    under zones (i) make a meeting area (haven't played for awhile so names might be a bit off though)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,574 Posts
    Best thing to do with bored Dwarves is make them all take masonry and metalcrafting, then proceed to mass-produce a block factory for endless megaprojects. Metalcrafting is so they can add metal (if you're into that) into your megaprojects faster, and you tend to only use metalcrafting 4-5 times before generally forgetting about it (unless you're a fan of metal cups and such, in which case you just have to assign your master crafter via manager screen to some forges.)

32. Post #32
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    Best thing to do with bored Dwarves is make them all take masonry and metalcrafting, then proceed to mass-produce a block factory for endless megaprojects. Metalcrafting is so they can add metal (if you're into that) into your megaprojects faster, and you tend to only use metalcrafting 4-5 times before generally forgetting about it.
    Why are blocks better than regular stone?

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,574 Posts
    Why are blocks better than regular stone?
    Besides being worth 1.5x more then your average boulder, there actually isn't any other noticeable difference. It's fun to use them because they're the construction equivalent of smooth stone with natural rock; it implies a smooth, well-polished/worked surface as opposed to the more haphazard boulder walls.

Not to mention it's an easy way to boost your masonry skills (or metalcrafting, just get a couple magma forges, a few aspiring metalcrafters and an endless supply of shit metal, and you'll get people making legendary chains and cups in no time.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    January 2008
    49 Posts
    Plus they can be put in bins
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    5,941 Posts
    So, when I redownloaded DF, I added my dinosaur custom creature file, which included the crocospiders I made. I didn't want them in the game, so I just broke their file, IE removed some brackets. Apparently that did not work, as not only did I encounter them in-game (elven caravans brought them), they had wings for some reason.

Eventually I discovered that the crocospider entry just merged with the pterodactyl one. So now they can shoot webs, have venomous bites, are amphibious, and can now fly.

What the fuck have I done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 43Winner Winner x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    Dennab
    November 2009
    2,472 Posts
    I read somewhere on the wiki that farm plots can only be accessed if they are 2x(whatever) but i'm pretty sure that's a crock of shit because i keep seeing screenshots of people doing otherwise successfully.

Also why do half of the wiki pages download a .gz file instead of opening the page?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    14,399 Posts
    My militia leader has the title "The Ace Genius of Distractions."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    June 2010
    2,253 Posts
    I read somewhere on the wiki that farm plots can only be accessed if they are 2x(whatever) but i'm pretty sure that's a crock of shit because i keep seeing screenshots of people doing otherwise successfully.

Also why do half of the wiki pages download a .gz file instead of opening the page?
    Problem with chrome, pretty weird.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    14,399 Posts
    It worked in Pearls Before Swine, maybe it will work for me:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,574 Posts
    Does anyone here have experience with embarking on locations without any other civilizations (whether it be a closed in mountain range or an island?) Do you still get immigrants?