1. Post #41
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    It worked in Pearls Before Swine, maybe it will work for me:
    Even when I see a picture of a duck with it, I think of a "drake" as being a dragon...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    14,477 Posts
    I think you still get dwarfs, but no elves or humans. Not sure about goblins.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

3. Post #43
    Dennab
    February 2011
    1,499 Posts
    5 minutes into my first heavily-modified embark (to make things tougher) and my hunter drowns in a river attempting to acquire an alligator body.

He was so young.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 16Artistic Artistic x 1Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    asdfghjkl;
    October 2008
    3,125 Posts
    captured a goblin leader

had him fight every spare animal I had(from cougars to bears), eventually one of his legs got heavily injured and he had to fight sitting down

he has never lost a fight yet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 37Funny Funny x 2 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,578 Posts
    captured a goblin leader

had him fight every spare animal I had(from cougars to bears), eventually one of his legs got heavily injured and he had to fight sitting down

he has never lost a fight yet
    Feed him a constant supply of Elves, if possible make him go insane and unleash him on goblin prisoners in an elaborate yet terrifying maze designed specifically for him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 14Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    Mmmmm... that new thread smell... it's divine.

Started a new fort: the Caverns of Funk. We've gotten really big now and have this count who's decided he's going to bitch and whine about being offended by a gem cutter's accommodations.

Everything in this douche's chambers is of masterwork quality- with everything (except the bed) forged from the absolute finest steel, a material he claims he likes. His dining room has got a fucking marble statue that commemorates his promotion from baron to count.

All common dwarves have basic quality beds, a wooden cabinet, and a wooden chest for their shit- including the gem cutter in question. The mayor's got everything furnished with brass, accented with glass.

No dwarf in this fortress has a more elegant, comfortable abode. Yet he will not shut the fuck up and stop his complaining.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,063 Posts
    I'm trying to embark with a saved preparations list but it's saying that iron anvils, cave lobsters, and oaken buckets are not available. Is this new or something? I don't remember it ever happening before.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

8. Post #48
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    14,477 Posts

Started a new fort: the Caverns of Funk. We've gotten really big now and have this count who's decided he's going to bitch and whine about being offended by a gem cutter's accommodations.

Everything in this douche's chambers is of masterwork quality- with everything (except the bed) forged from the absolute finest steel, a material he claims he likes. His dining room has got a fucking marble statue that commemorates his promotion from baron to count.

All common dwarves have basic quality beds, a wooden cabinet, and a wooden chest for their shit- including the gem cutter in question. The mayor's got everything furnished with brass, accented with glass.

No dwarf in this fortress has a more elegant, comfortable abode. Yet he will not shut the fuck up and stop his complaining.
    I think it's time for an unfortunate accident.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #49
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,413 Posts

I had a noble that kept complaining about that too. Wouldn't stop no matter what. You know what I did? I locked her in a room with a dragon, hoping she'd go berserk and punch the dragon.

She ended up starving to death, but I threw her body into the magma.

10. Post #50
    June 2010
    6,196 Posts
    I'm trying to embark with a saved preparations list but it's saying that iron anvils, cave lobsters, and oaken buckets are not available. Is this new or something? I don't remember it ever happening before.
    Nope, pretty common. Your chosen civ just doesn't have access to iron, oak or lobster. Choose a different civil when choosing the area with tab, or go with a steel anvil and willow or some other wood. There are two types of cave lobster, they might have the other
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    November 2007
    132 Posts
    oh that's fantastic, it starts to rain and the entire caravan of dwarves melts. well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 17 (list)

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    4,954 Posts
    I need to learn how to play better, all I know is the basics and I've forgotten most of those
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #53
    Dennab
    February 2011
    1,499 Posts
    I need to learn how to play better, all I know is the basics and I've forgotten most of those
    Use the wiki, read the OP a billion times, watch Captain Duck or Sippycup.

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    502 Posts
    oh that's fantastic, it starts to rain and the entire caravan of dwarves melts. well.
    You are using the most up-to-date dwarf fortress, right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

15. Post #55
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,413 Posts
    Holy shit I haven't seen you in forever.

Forever being 2008.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

16. Post #56
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,680 Posts
    Is it just me, or does anyone else find the combat in DF to be more satisfying than current-gen games? (especially with soundsense)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #57
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    school's started again so I wont have much time for dwarf fortress...
    i'll probably pick it up again once the new version is released though

Edited:

How do you use butchery? I have someone designated to butchery, my squad just killed a badger boar, but it says there's no corpse to butcher. Am I missing something?
    how I do it is put all my hunters on small animal dissection as well as butchery; also for some reason they don't want to return kills unless I have gather refuse from outside on.. in the o r menu..

only problem is they'll collect dead shit from outside, thankfully you can choose whether or not they collect vermin from outside.

Butchery only works for me if I designate an animal to be butchered from the z menu, or if I have my hunters as hunters/small animal dissectors and butchers, don't know why or if i'm just being silly about it, but yeah.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #58
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,033 Posts
    So I just decided to spawn a new world, without aquifers, and there seems to be very deep soil almost everywhere. Are the two related?

Edited:

Is very deep soil avoidable, or do I want or, it does it even matter?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

19. Post #59
    pink titles r for gaylordes
    March 2008
    4,014 Posts
    I found an awesome embark spot in the haunted territory so far only spooky skeleton hens and zombie foxes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events

20. Post #60
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    25,616 Posts
    Ahaha, you must be playing on a really old version.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 11Agree Agree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,033 Posts
    oww. I decided I'd make things a bit more exciting and embark in a haunted biome. A skeletal moose just kicked my leader in the head a hundred times so sufficed to say he's dead. :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    I've been wanting to try the 2D version for a while now. I have to say, Toady sure has come a long way in optimization alone.

23. Post #63
    pink titles r for gaylordes
    March 2008
    4,014 Posts
    oww. I decided I'd make things a bit more exciting and embark in a haunted biome. A skeletal moose just kicked my leader in the head a hundred times so sufficed to say he's dead. :(
    I never cared much about the dwarfs head cracking up so easily, but when a skeletal hen headbuted and broke 5 out of my 10 militia dwarfs heads i had to get that damn fix.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

24. Post #64
    September 2009
    995 Posts
    Right, I have an Idea:

1) Hatch (wooden, locked.)
    2) Caged shit stockpile
    3) Shambling horde of fun and profit

basically, this is a trap for sieges, using the undead in the new evil areas.

Stupid troll/minotaur/enraged bumble bee comes along, and sees the hatch and goes, "Raaaa, me smash!"

The ravening hordes of irate not quite deceased flood out of hole, only contained before by virtue of being unable to destroy things on another z-level.

Murder time, with Fun, profit, and GLORIOUS SLAUGHTER OF GOBLIN BASTARDS.

Undead run to fort for supper super fun time.

They are then recaptured and disposed of / re-pitted in reset trap.

Thoughts?

my apologies for the sketchiness.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 17Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,027 Posts
    Siegers will always take the shortest possible route into your fort. In practice this means that you can lure them into any death trap.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #66
    September 2009
    995 Posts
    Siegers will always take the shortest possible route into your fort. In practice this means that you can lure them into any death trap.
    but building destroyers will go for the first construction they see, not including walls and floors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #67
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,228 Posts

a milk quartz worth 798k? that's pretty unusual. i bet it has some real badass engravings or so-

oH FUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKK
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 27Artistic Artistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #68
    June 2010
    6,196 Posts

a milk quartz worth 798k? that's pretty unusual. i bet it has some real badass engravings or so-

oH FUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKK
    Calling Planepacked style burrowing or a bug.

Also, that one has some recursion, which is always nice with artifacts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #69
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,228 Posts
    Calling Planepacked style burrowing or a bug.

Also, that one has some recursion, which is always nice with artifacts.
    my (now legendary) gem cutter took about 4 pages of gems with him into the gem workshop, it took him about half a year to get all of them from the mines. its pretty much doubled my fort worth and the royal guys should be arriving soon now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

30. Post #70
    June 2010
    6,196 Posts
    Wow, you might have actually got the greatest legitimate unbugged artifact ever, then!
    Mine are always boring as hell, as I don't often do heroic things that get good stuff on artifacts (I have too heavy defenses like traps)
    Also, planepacked.
    http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Planepacked
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

31. Post #71
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,520 Posts
    I keep putting off starting a new fortress until the new version. needless to say it's been a while since i've played.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    1,651 Posts
    I keep putting off starting a new fortress until the new version. needless to say it's been a while since i've played.
    I have to play fast, but updates too slow.

Well it's really close now, so no point starting over in 2011.
    Maybe just one.. little adventure session
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

33. Post #73
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,578 Posts
    Just start up a fortress, make a separate file to check out DF2012 when it comes out, and then continue with the old fort until Toady releases a few patches to fix the bugs that'll be apparent in the first release.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #74
    November 2007
    132 Posts
    Holy shit I haven't seen you in forever.

Forever being 2008.
    yeah, that's probably about how old my version was
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #75
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    14,477 Posts
    So I just decided to spawn a new world, without aquifers, and there seems to be very deep soil almost everywhere. Are the two related?

Edited:

Is very deep soil avoidable, or do I want or, it does it even matter?
    Deep soil is good for easily making large rooms when you first start out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

36. Post #76
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    25,616 Posts
    yeah, that's probably about how old my version was
    Download newest version, install the balance fix from the OP and generate a new world.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

37. Post #77
    asdfghjkl;
    October 2008
    3,125 Posts
    Feed him a constant supply of Elves, if possible make him go insane and unleash him on goblin prisoners in an elaborate yet terrifying maze designed specifically for him.
    i fed him an elf and two war dogs

nothing can kill this guy

(he BIT the elf to death)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #78
    Is there a way to embark with only one dwarf?
    I want to have a single dwarf survive on his own.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #79
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    2,109 Posts
    Is there a way to embark with only one dwarf?
    I want to have a single dwarf survive on his own.
    Well 6 of your dwarfs can have an accident.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 21Agree Agree x 4 (list)

40. Post #80
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,578 Posts
    Well 6 of your dwarfs can have an accident.
    You can get quite creative with this too; set a meeting location above a frozen murky pool, have the survivor be a miner and cause a cave-in on the other six, wall them into the caves and let them either starve to death or get consumed by the various cave critters, and that's if you're in a hurry.