1. Post #6681
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,517 Posts
    Currently playing a fortress in the Masterwork mod.

I'm making it so every able body male is in the military and all the women and children do the work around the fortress.

Instead of having like 5 godlike soldiers, I have about 80 average skilled, and average equipped sworddwarfs. Battles are always really bloody and the hospital is always full of amputees and war victims. And all the wounded warriors that aren't at full capabilities are retired into the fortress guard.

No traps, no spamming crossbows, no bullshit. Just plain old army vs army combat.

And because there's no coal or any iron where I'm located, practically all the armor and weapons my army uses is from fallen enemies and from trade. Currently during times of peace, I'm creating a long tram to the center of the earth so my military can fast travel there. Going to create a small rest stop/barracks down there so that they can stay down there for extended periods of time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

2. Post #6682
    April 2012
    5,253 Posts

I'm making it so every able body male is in the military and all the women and children do the work around the fortress.

Instead of having like 5 godlike soldiers, I have about 80 average skilled, and average equipped sworddwarfs. Battles are always really bloody and the hospital is always full of amputees and war victims. And all the wounded warriors that aren't at full capabilities are retired into the fortress guard.

No traps, no spamming crossbows, no bullshit. Just plain old army vs army combat.

And because there's no coal or any iron where I'm located, practically all the armor and weapons my army uses is from fallen enemies and from trade. Currently during times of peace, I'm creating a long tram to the center of the earth so my military can fast travel there. Going to create a small rest stop/barracks down there so that they can stay down there for extended periods of time.
    The words "No gods or kings, only man" is vaguely appropriate, but in a much different context.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

3. Post #6683
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,013 Posts
    im calling you out on sexism and age racism in your fort, female dwarves and children have to have the right to fight horrible wars for you too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 10Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #6684
    June 2010
    6,147 Posts
    female dwarfs have an advantage in combat due to their natural shield that they carry around.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 13Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #6685
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,885 Posts

Only problem is, as soon as 10 die, tantrum spiral.
    That's why I hate the current death repercussion system.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

6. Post #6686
    Sexist
    July 2006
    6,879 Posts
    I just did my shortest playthrough yet.

I downloaded a pregenerated world that was called 'Perfect World' and I chose the site it recommended,

It had a waterfall, resources and metals, lots of wood and plants, and a volcano.

Within 10 minutes Alligators ate all 7 of my dwarves somehow
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

7. Post #6687
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,677 Posts
    Only problem is, as soon as 10 die, tantrum spiral.
    That's why I hate the current death repercussion system.
    This is why I have a set of cells and a sheriff early on in the game.

Also I had an idea to make a police force that is immune to emotions. I would have a "brainwashing room" that is an average sized bedroom with a food supply, a bed, and a table and chair. I would have a retracting bridge a fatal number of z-levels over the room. I would drop innocent animals and possibly hostiles into the room to explode and rot. When I release one, he/she will be completely devoid of emotion, and be perfect for controlling tantrum spirals when given sufficient training.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #6688
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    3,168 Posts
    I really can't wait to see if Toady implements the ability to send armies against enemy fortresses as vaguely mentioned in the future update log.

I have dreams of bearded conquests that go unfulfilled.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #6689
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    This is why I have a set of cells and a sheriff early on in the game.

Also I had an idea to make a police force that is immune to emotions. I would have a "brainwashing room" that is an average sized bedroom with a food supply, a bed, and a table and chair. I would have a retracting bridge a fatal number of z-levels over the room. I would drop innocent animals and possibly hostiles into the room to explode and rot. When I release one, he/she will be completely devoid of emotion, and be perfect for controlling tantrum spirals when given sufficient training.
    Just make sure you don't accidentally dump nobles pets in, that can cause tantrum spirals.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events

10. Post #6690
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2010
    2,532 Posts
    Devlog, because nobody posted it yet. We might see this update soon.

I've finished the rewrite of the code, but now I have to debug it -- right now civilizations don't appear to be spreading in world generation. On the other hand, "sites changing hands during play" is now peaking up at the bottom of the first page of my notes, so that's good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

11. Post #6691
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2010
    2,532 Posts
    I will not bear to see this thread die, so read a sad dwarven story.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=112791.0
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

12. Post #6692
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    Devlog, because nobody posted it yet. We might see this update soon.
    I have a feeling that he'll add at least one more thing before we see this one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

13. Post #6693
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,677 Posts
    He is working really fast it seems.

Was the last update really difficult or what?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

14. Post #6694
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2010
    2,532 Posts
    I have a feeling that he'll add at least one more thing before we see this one.
    I would think only bugfixes and a few minor improvements, maybe two weeks tops, do you think?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #6695
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    I would think only bugfixes and a few minor improvements, maybe two weeks tops, do you think?
    I'm expecting something big to come up like minecarts did before.

16. Post #6696
    June 2010
    424 Posts
    Can I stop my dwarves from cancelling designation upon finding damp stone?

For science.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

17. Post #6697
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,388 Posts

For science.
    Nope. You can make it so it doesn't pause or recenter your camera:

data\init\announcements.txt

[DIG_CANCEL_WARM:A_D:D_D:P:R]
    [DIG_CANCEL_DAMP:A_D:D_D:P:R]

Remove P and R for that. There's been hacks to remove it but I don't think there's any for the current version.

18. Post #6698
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2010
    2,532 Posts

For science.
    Probably via mod, I can't think of any other way. You can stop it from pausing the game as well, go into the raws, the file is called announcements I believe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

19. Post #6699
    June 2010
    424 Posts
    Ah well, was hoping there'd be a way to do it in vanilla. Guess I'll just have to put up with it.

In other news, my fledgling fortress (no military, no traps) has a weregecko to deal with. I've sealed everyone underground and at the moment its just rampaging around topside. How do I kill it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

20. Post #6700
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2010
    2,532 Posts
    Ah well, was hoping there'd be a way to do it in vanilla. Guess I'll just have to put up with it.

In other news, my fledgling fortress (no military, no traps) has a weregecko to deal with. I've sealed everyone underground and at the moment its just rampaging around topside. How do I kill it?
    Were-animals are usually not too hard to deal with, if you can send some archers to some sort of vantage point to get a good shot at the werebeast, alternatively send a strong melee dwarf or two up to get him, you could do both.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #6701
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,026 Posts
    So I started a fortress in a serene biome, and I have to say, it's not the most Fun you can have. Absolutely nothing remotely traumatic has happened. I've had about 7 or 8 migrant waves, about 1,500 food, almost everyone is ecstatic, and I haven't even sustained a single injury or anything. I just keep slaughtering unicorns forever. At least I understand all of the gameplay mechanics, as far as I can tell. Annoyingly, there's no iron ore, that I can find.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #6702
    November 2007
    526 Posts
    I haven't played since 40d, so I decided to give the latest version a try last night. The game seems to crash randomly during embark. I never got past assigning skills because the game would crash after a few minutes.

Other games work fine on my computer, and nothing else crashes, so I doubt it's my memory. Anyone have any ideas? I'd really like to get back into it.

23. Post #6703
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    9,099 Posts
    So I started a fortress in a serene biome, and I have to say, it's not the most Fun you can have. Absolutely nothing remotely traumatic has happened. I've had about 7 or 8 migrant waves, about 1,500 food, almost everyone is ecstatic, and I haven't even sustained a single injury or anything. I just keep slaughtering unicorns forever. At least I understand all of the gameplay mechanics, as far as I can tell. Annoyingly, there's no iron ore, that I can find.
    Produce more wealth.

24. Post #6704
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    1,388 Posts
    Best have a well-trained military of 10+ dwarves.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

25. Post #6705
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,517 Posts
    Masterwork is just way too damn unstable.... crashes about every hour or so...

26. Post #6706
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    996 Posts
    so i have a stable fort with about 57 dwarves, and i have about 8 enlisted into a military with 3-4 ready to make another separate squad of crossbowdwarves. my biggest problem is that i can't find any good metals, what is a good way to find them other than using cheats?

27. Post #6707
    June 2010
    6,147 Posts
    so i have a stable fort with about 57 dwarves, and i have about 8 enlisted into a military with 3-4 ready to make another separate squad of crossbowdwarves. my biggest problem is that i can't find any good metals, what is a good way to find them other than using cheats?
    Check the site before embark, you want shallow and deep metalS.
    Try mining in different areas, or if your site spans biomes, then dig over to them to explore them.
    Also, goblin Christmas should be soon.
    I'd explain more, but my docks upstairs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

28. Post #6708
    June 2011
    529 Posts
    Changelog.

Here's a Future of the Fortress reply with various information about what we're working on. I'm now having civilizations decide to attack other sites in play, starting with some straightforward examples that should lead to the complete destruction of cities.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

29. Post #6709
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,026 Posts
    Best have a well-trained military of 10+ dwarves.
    Uhoh :(

Since there was nothing happening I never really bothered producing any military. I just have 4 dwarves which I use to help slaughter unicorns. They're really badly trained, too.

I'm scared. :c
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

30. Post #6710
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    996 Posts
    Check the site before embark, you want shallow and deep metalS.
    Try mining in different areas, or if your site spans biomes, then dig over to them to explore them.
    Also, goblin Christmas should be soon.
    I'd explain more, but my docks upstairs.
    if i recall correctly it had deep and shallow metals, but it looks like i am going to have to dig deep because all the ones near the surface are zinc and gold

31. Post #6711
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2010
    2,532 Posts
    I haven't played since 40d, so I decided to give the latest version a try last night. The game seems to crash randomly during embark. I never got past assigning skills because the game would crash after a few minutes.

Other games work fine on my computer, and nothing else crashes, so I doubt it's my memory. Anyone have any ideas? I'd really like to get back into it.
    Try deleting the Dwarf Fortress folder and reinstalling if you just installed over 40d(replaced all the files through installation), are you using any mods? Also it shouldn't be your memory I wouldn't think.

Edited:

The easiest way to find a good site is to use the "find desired location"(f) key. Make sure and turn aquifers off(it really sucks to deal with them and you can't get a steady supply of stone), flux stone on if you want a large supply of pig iron/steel, shallow and deep metals, a river if you want a clean water source, and however much soil you want. The rest is up to you. If a site does not fit your needs but you feel others may in the vicinity, feel free to look. I find some of my sites that way(i.e in a forest)

32. Post #6712
    August 2009
    9,050 Posts
    How do I dig down levels? I want to expand my base further downward but idk how.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

33. Post #6713
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,013 Posts
    How do I dig down levels? I want to expand my base further downward but idk how.
    Go down one level (with the view) and designate an upward ramp or stairway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

34. Post #6714
    September 2008
    1,662 Posts
    Designation-downward stairs/ramp/channel

35. Post #6715
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    12,859 Posts
    The most traumatic event for me in a serene biome was my damn animals that for some stupid reason always fought each other. The climax was when an alpaca died after being kicked in the head or something, so I butchered them all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #6716
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2010
    2,532 Posts
    The most traumatic event for me in a serene biome was my damn animals that for some stupid reason always fought each other. The climax was when an alpaca died after being kicked in the head or something, so I butchered them all.
    How big was your pasture/meeting area?

37. Post #6717
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    996 Posts
    The only time i ever tried to settle a good biome or whatever, i left my booze out and gnomes (i didn't know they posed such a threat) drank ALL of it.

Then my river froze

I stick to normal biomes now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

38. Post #6718
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    12,859 Posts
    How big was your pasture/meeting area?
    It was quite small, held 15-20 animals I think. I assume that caused the fight.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

39. Post #6719
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    3,337 Posts
    It was quite small, held 15-20 animals I think. I assume that caused the fight.
    Yes, when you stack too much animals into a single pasture it tends to turn the pasture into a gory moshpit.

Just be glad you didn't put a dragon in there, it did not end well for my livestock when I made that mistake.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

40. Post #6720
    September 2008
    1,662 Posts
    When will the succession game start?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)