1. Post #2441
    April 2009
    2,070 Posts
    Is a migrant wave of 40 dwarves common? (from 14 to 54)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2442
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,447 Posts
    easiest way to detect vampires?
    trying to create a vampire fort

even if it's cheatyish

Edited:

so far I've been copying the save and looking them up in legends
    Nickname every dwarf. Vampires' nicknames won't be displayed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

3. Post #2443
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    3,347 Posts
    So does Adventure mode have any kind of theft system?
    I usually just barge into stores and pick up everything on the ground because I can't be arsed to use the trade system, but does this even have any consequences at all?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

4. Post #2444
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,828 Posts
    As I'm using the other dwarves as feedstock, I guess 1-2-3-4-5... is quite ap
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

5. Post #2445

February 2010
    116 Posts
    So does Adventure mode have any kind of theft system?
    I usually just barge into stores and pick up everything on the ground because I can't be arsed to use the trade system, but does this even have any consequences at all?
    I don't know if it matters if you are seen or not, but the entire civ you are in will become hostile to you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Jordan Show Events

6. Post #2446
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,947 Posts
    I'm fairly certain that's been patched.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #2447
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,828 Posts
    it has, but that patch hasn't been released
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

8. Post #2448
    June 2009
    1,508 Posts
    Oh god, a guy I tried to hire said..

"Praise Disease!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #2449
    June 2010
    6,203 Posts
    easiest way to detect vampires?
    trying to create a vampire fort

even if it's cheatyish

Edited:

so far I've been copying the save and looking them up in legends
    Stick every migrant in a drowning chamber, the living ones are vampires.
    Also, not sure if it's been fixed, but long history full of "is a mamber of x_y" and "joined z_a" so on is more likely to be a vampire.

10. Post #2450
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    25,804 Posts
    Oh that is lovely, any work around?
    Wait for the upcoming bugfix patch
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

11. Post #2451
    IDIOT WHO IS NEVER FUNNY AND CANT UNDER STAND WHEN NOT WANTED
    September 2006
    6,235 Posts
    Just embarked, only to have an announcement: "A section of the cavern has collapsed!". My view got teleported up SIXTY THREE Z-LEVELS... Sixty three, what the crap? So I watched as this section of the cavern collapsed out of the sky to land on my embark wagon. It crushed and killed my 7 dwarves, 5 chickens and 2 oxen.

FUN! I don't even get how there could even be a piece of floating land up that high in the sky. It was on the sixty-third z-level :s

Edited:

Long-gone are the days when I could find beautiful embark spots. Time and time again I'd embark on beautiful locations: river running across the east side of the map, more trees than I know what to do with, a good three or four layers of soil (for easy base-building in the early stages), plenty of flux stone and always flat.

Nowadays, I get shitty embarks where the terrain is fucked up. I have cliffs all over the place, horrible bits of land jutting out. Pretty much, if I want to get a good above-ground below-ground fort going, it would take a shitload of effort. I'd have to channel out a whole bunch of land just to get a clear area around my fort.

If anyone has any good embark points, please help me out and upload them? Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 20 (list)

12. Post #2452
    Ask me about my .gif fetish
    February 2008
    3,594 Posts
    As I'm using the other dwarves as feedstock, I guess 1-2-3-4-5... is quite ap
    Speaking of nicknames, do people here tend to nickname all their dwarfs, and if so what kind of names do you use?
    I usually use a Snow White-esque system. I start with Dopey, Sneezey, Happy, Grumpy, Doc, Sleepy and Bashful, then I carry on with that theme. So I end up with Funny, Stupid, Clumsy, Angry, Stubborn, Extravagant, etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #2453
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    7,680 Posts
    I don't really nickname mine, I'd get to the first migrant wave and be like "FUCK THAT"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #2454
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,478 Posts
    Just embarked, only to have an announcement: "A section of the cavern has collapsed!". My view got teleported up SIXTY THREE Z-LEVELS... Sixty three, what the crap? So I watched as this section of the cavern collapsed out of the sky to land on my embark wagon. It crushed and killed my 7 dwarves, 5 chickens and 2 oxen.

FUN! I don't even get how there could even be a piece of floating land up that high in the sky. It was on the sixty-third z-level :s

Edited:

Long-gone are the days when I could find beautiful embark spots. Time and time again I'd embark on beautiful locations: river running across the east side of the map, more trees than I know what to do with, a good three or four layers of soil (for easy base-building in the early stages), plenty of flux stone and always flat.

Nowadays, I get shitty embarks where the terrain is fucked up. I have cliffs all over the place, horrible bits of land jutting out. Pretty much, if I want to get a good above-ground below-ground fort going, it would take a shitload of effort. I'd have to channel out a whole bunch of land just to get a clear area around my fort.

If anyone has any good embark points, please help me out and upload them? Thanks.
    Look for swamps without an aquifer, basically exactly what you're describing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

15. Post #2455
    September 2006
    6,235 Posts
    Speaking of nicknames, do people here tend to nickname all their dwarfs, and if so what kind of names do you use?
    I usually use a Snow White-esque system. I start with Dopey, Sneezey, Happy, Grumpy, Doc, Sleepy and Bashful, then I carry on with that theme. So I end up with Funny, Stupid, Clumsy, Angry, Stubborn, Extravagant, etc.
    I generally have Engineers (Masonry, Engraving, Architect Designer, Pump Operating, Siege Operating, Siege Building, Mechanics jobs enabled) and name them M1, M2, M3... etc. I know the M<lower numbers> are generally the more experienced and thus I assign the first 5 (out of my 15 or so Engineers) their own workshops for specific high-quality items that I need. I have 15 out of 90 or so dwarves Engineers, because I'm an avid above-fort builder. They're constantly working. Whether it's building the outer wall of my fort, or smoothing and engraving the living quarters. They are always kept busy, I love the little bastards.

Then for my soldiers, I name them S1, S2, S3... etc Again, the lower the number, the (generally) more experienced they are for being on the job for longer. For my Marksdwarves, I nickname them Marks1, Marks2... etc.

Carpenters usually have both Woodcutting and Carpentry enabled, I name them Carpenter1, Carpenter2... etc.

I nickname all my dudes based on their jobs. Smelter1, Smelter2. Miner1, Miner2. It works really REALLY well. My forts are always organized and it's so easy to keep track of the little buggers. It's really good.

Edited:

Look for swamps without an aquifer, basically exactly what you're describing.
    How do I look for swamps? Or what do they look like on Phoebus's tileset?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

16. Post #2456
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    3,347 Posts
    Oh man I found the perfect embark spot, it is a really huge flat patch of land with dense forest and a river running through the middle, 2 Levels below the soil I am diggin up Limestone, Gold, Hematite and a crapload of gems. Too bad the river is around 3 depth at winter, which means no fish, which means no steady food source. Thankfully there are plenty of lakes too.

One awkward thing though is the fact that I get sieges of goblin/kobold thieves. I had 18 messages of Snatcher! or Thief! within 3 minutes.

17. Post #2457
    June 2010
    6,203 Posts
    I generally have Engineers (Masonry, Engraving, Architect Designer, Pump Operating, Siege Operating, Siege Building, Mechanics jobs enabled) and name them M1, M2, M3... etc. I know the M<lower numbers> are generally the more experienced and thus I assign the first 5 (out of my 15 or so Engineers) their own workshops for specific high-quality items that I need. I have 15 out of 90 or so dwarves Engineers, because I'm an avid above-fort builder. They're constantly working. Whether it's building the outer wall of my fort, or smoothing and engraving the living quarters. They are always kept busy, I love the little bastards.

Then for my soldiers, I name them S1, S2, S3... etc Again, the lower the number, the (generally) more experienced they are for being on the job for longer. For my Marksdwarves, I nickname them Marks1, Marks2... etc.

Carpenters usually have both Woodcutting and Carpentry enabled, I name them Carpenter1, Carpenter2... etc.

I nickname all my dudes based on their jobs. Smelter1, Smelter2. Miner1, Miner2. It works really REALLY well. My forts are always organized and it's so easy to keep track of the little buggers. It's really good.

Edited:

How do I look for swamps? Or what do they look like on Phoebus's tileset?
    It should say "Freshwater / Saltwater Swamp" on the tab menu, can't remember the icon, but it'll be unique to swamps.

18. Post #2458
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,478 Posts
    Just embarked in a terrifying desert.

Current unit list:

Catten (f) - Miner
    Endok (f) - Planter
    Ushat (m) - Expedition Leader + Mason
    Oddom (f) - Smith (w+a+m)
    Mafol (f) - Swordsdwarf/Cook/Teacher
    Mosus (f) - Wood Cutter/Furnace Operator
    Kubuk (m) - Doctor

Animals:

2 horses
    Pack of wolves (undead)
    Falcon (undead)

There are absolutely no trees.

Edited:

It's also constantly snowing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #2459
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    7,680 Posts
    http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ma...ew.php?id=4065
    Is this bug still present in the 2012 version?

20. Post #2460
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,478 Posts
    My fortress died because a butchered horse skin killed the only militiaman in a lucky hit :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

21. Post #2461
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    7,680 Posts
    Set worldgen to "Large" world and "Very Long" history.

45 minutes later... OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #2462
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,947 Posts
    Is it me or did coal become extremely rare all of a sudden? I can't actually remember the last time I embarked anywhere that had any.

This is especially fun in that my current Fortress has no trees whatsoever, and Elven and Human caravans don't show up at all. And the closest cavern layer to have fungiwood is the second one down. Same goes for the only source of water that isn't frozen. The lack of coal is especially frustrating as at the same time I've got so much metal ore I don't know what to do with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #2463
    Relinquere omnes seductiones imperium
    October 2007
    612 Posts
    Is it me or did coal become extremely rare all of a sudden? I can't actually remember the last time I embarked anywhere that had any.

This is especially fun in that my current Fortress has no trees whatsoever, and Elven and Human caravans don't show up at all. And the closest cavern layer to have fungiwood is the second one down. Same goes for the only source of water that isn't frozen. The lack of coal is especially frustrating as at the same time I've got so much metal ore I don't know what to do with it.
    I have the same problem except with metal ores, no matter where I embark I get tetrahedrite, sphalerite, galena and the like. Even in massive sedimentary layers there is not a bit of iron ore, be it magnetite hematite or limonite.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

24. Post #2464
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,447 Posts
    I name a handful after friends of mine, but after that I start naming them after fictional characters and famous people.

In my current fort, a lot of them are named after famous authors. I have an axedwarf named after Jonathan Swift, swordsdwarf named after Ray Bradbury, and pretty much all of my hunters are named after characters in Last of the Mohicans.

I had one dwarf in the military named Ahab, and he got killed by a cave fish man. Kind of appropriate?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #2465
    June 2010
    2,253 Posts

Edited:

I embarked and immediately discovered the lava sea, as well as a big hole in the mountain which immediately drops down to it.

Shouldn't world gen have rejected that world for having a floating piece of rock above the land?

26. Post #2466
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    4,827 Posts
    Okay so my first fortress was going pretty strong until it hit 49 dwarves and it became impossible for my farmer to keep up. I countered that by using Dwarf Therapist to aid me in making a mega farm for my new fort. However this time my problem was that all the water around me was frozen. Is there a way to unfreeze ice? Or do I have to work on a well?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events

27. Post #2467
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,478 Posts
    Okay so my first fortress was going pretty strong until it hit 49 dwarves and it became impossible for my farmer to keep up. I countered that by using Dwarf Therapist to aid me in making a mega farm for my new fort. However this time my problem was that all the water around me was frozen. Is there a way to unfreeze ice? Or do I have to work on a well?
    At 49 dwarves you should be making enough food not only to supply your current dwarves, but also enough to trade for fucktons of shit from the elves.

28. Post #2468
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    4,827 Posts
    At 49 dwarves you should be making enough food not only to supply your current dwarves, but also enough to trade for fucktons of shit from the elves.
    I'm a total noob haha. I had no idea what I was doing, migrants just kept coming and coming before I couldn't handle it.

29. Post #2469
    June 2010
    1,813 Posts
    http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ma...ew.php?id=4065
    Is this bug still present in the 2012 version?
    It is.

30. Post #2470
    September 2006
    6,235 Posts
    Use DF Wiki and search "Reservoir". It's what you're looking for. Basically, a massive enclosed area that holds water. It keeps it in a liquid state even during the worst of winter.

Also, Build a good five or six 5x5 plots of farmland. Then have different crops assigned to it each season. You'll have more food than you know what to do with :)

Edited:

I embarked and immediately discovered the lava sea, as well as a big hole in the mountain which immediately drops down to it.

Shouldn't world gen have rejected that world for having a floating piece of rock above the land?
    No idea. I generated it with the advanced parameters option thingy. Was really weird.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #2471
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    4,827 Posts
    Use DF Wiki and search "Reservoir". It's what you're looking for. Basically, a massive enclosed area that holds water. It keeps it in a liquid state even during the worst of winter.

Also, Build a good five or six 5x5 plots of farmland. Then have different crops assigned to it each season. You'll have more food than you know what to do with :)
    I'll look into it! I think that after getting my food problem handled, my downfall would be a lack of water. And thanks for the farm tip! I didn't think about it but I planted ONLY plump helmets year round in my first fortress. That explains why my food didn't last :P

32. Post #2472
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,447 Posts
    How long do dwarves need to stay in traction benches? Two of mine are sitting in them right now, and it's been long enough that their military skills have gotten rusty.

Never mind, just read on the wiki that there's a bug preventing fully-healed dwarves from ever leaving the traction bench. It's fixed by removing the bench.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

33. Post #2473
    September 2006
    6,235 Posts
    I'll look into it! I think that after getting my food problem handled, my downfall would be a lack of water. And thanks for the farm tip! I didn't think about it but I planted ONLY plump helmets year round in my first fortress. That explains why my food didn't last :P
    Don't worry about water, as dwarves are fond of alcohol. As long as you have a still set up to brew plants into alcohol, you'll be fine. Plus, alcohol lets dwarves work at their full potential (lucky them), water is only used as emergencies or to quench the thirst of wounded dwarves. Dwarves drinking primarily water work slower as a result. Wait to build a well until the summer or autumn depending on how things go. A well can be either extremely easy to build, or quite difficult (channeling the water safely and efficiently to the fort can be a pain in the ass). Best of luck buddy! Let me know if you need any more help <3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #2474
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    25,804 Posts
    Actually doing just plumps is fine too. Brewing the plants creates more seeds, so you can plant more, etc. Just gotta learn the sweet spot ratio of how much to brew into booze + seeds, and how much to keep as food.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

35. Post #2475
    September 2006
    6,235 Posts
    Actually doing just plumps is fine too. Brewing the plants creates more seeds, so you can plant more, etc. Just gotta learn the sweet spot ratio of how much to brew into booze + seeds, and how much to keep as food.
    Having a record keeper helps with this significantly. You can just check the stocks screen (press [z] then [->] to get to stocks) and you can see how many seeds / plants you have. When the plants are really high and the seeds are high, it's safe to cook them (turn cooking on or off in the kitchen menu which is also on the stocks screen). Works a charm every time. When seeds dwindle, turn cooking off to bolster the seed stock again.

Before long, you'll have a tonne of seeds, you'll not have to worry about managing them.

36. Post #2476
    June 2011
    118 Posts
    Bone carver just got into a fey mood, she's yelling at me for body parts, yet I have placed the parts of two butchered oxen right next to the craftsdwarf's workshop, what the hell do I do?

Edit:
    Okay, now people are dying of thirst because it's winter and I suck at making water sources, yay.

37. Post #2477
    September 2006
    6,235 Posts
    Bone carver just got into a fey mood, she's yelling at me for body parts, yet I have placed the parts of two butchered oxen right next to the craftsdwarf's workshop, what the hell do I do?

Edit:
    Okay, now people are dying of thirst because it's winter and I suck at making water sources, yay.
    Dude, why don't you just brew alcohol? :s Also, check the DF Wiki for help on fey moods. Sometimes what they ask for is weird and isn't what you first thought it to be.

38. Post #2478
    June 2011
    118 Posts
    Dude, why don't you just brew alcohol? :s Also, check the DF Wiki for help on fey moods. Sometimes what they ask for is weird and isn't what you first thought it to be.
    I now realize how dumb I was in not making more barrels so I could brew... And I did check the wiki, but for some reason the bone carver didn't give me a specific list of what she needed, even after pressing t.

Edit:
    Wait, do children drink alcohol? I forgot to put that it was the children dying in my post.

39. Post #2479
    Dumb Americunt
    May 2010
    8,832 Posts
    How can I get rid of the "swarm of flies" in my dining room?

40. Post #2480
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,040 Posts
    first time embarking into a haunted area
    "a cloud of accursed dust has drifted nearby"
    next thing i know, 3 of my 7 dwarfs are lying there, bleeding everywhere, every single one of their body parts rotten yet still alive.
    is that normal?

2 of them are still alive, and doing everything normally except a cloud of miasma following them wherever they go.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 14Agree Agree x 2 (list)