1. Post #3161
    June 2011
    118 Posts
    Aaaaaaaaaaand my male craftsdwarf just gave birth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 12Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #3162
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,826 Posts
    Aaaaaaaaaaand my male craftsdwarf just gave birth.
    Even for dwarf fortress this is a disturbing anatomical impossibility.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

3. Post #3163
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    16,869 Posts
    What are these danger room?
    By the way cant you make walls for your fortress, for exemple, convert a big room or fill up open space you dont want anymore?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

4. Post #3164
    Dennab
    November 2009
    2,472 Posts
    What are these danger room?
    By the way cant you make walls for your fortress, for exemple, convert a big room or fill up open space you dont want anymore?
    Walls are (b -> C -> w) if i remember correctly. They are pre-smoothed so they will show up as pillars by their own.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #3165
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    16,869 Posts
    So it IS possible to build like these castles and other crazy stuff that are not carved into stone?
    Sweet

6. Post #3166
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    6,020 Posts
    You can construct a castle made entirely of charcoal if you wanted to.

Not sure why you'd want to, but you can.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #3167
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    16,869 Posts
    You can construct a castle made entirely of charcoal if you wanted to.

Not sure why you'd want to, but you can.
    Obviously to atract a goblin raid, then set fire to the whole place
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

8. Post #3168
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    6,020 Posts
    If you're in a freezing biome, ice is actually a very good material to build structures with, as it allows light to pass through it and thus means that Dwarves can avoid cave adaptation while still benefitting from having a roof over their heads.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

9. Post #3169
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    26,093 Posts
    So it IS possible to build like these castles and other crazy stuff that are not carved into stone?
    Sweet
    It's very much possible.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index...79.0;topicseen
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 8Friendly Friendly x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #3170
    June 2011
    118 Posts
    Even for dwarf fortress this is a disturbing anatomical impossibility.
    Fuck you it's impossible
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

11. Post #3171
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    6,020 Posts
    Maybe they're a female vampire taking on a male false identity?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #3172
    June 2011
    118 Posts
    Maybe they're a female vampire taking on a male false identity?
    Shit, Therapist just has a girl down as a guy D:

Edit:
    Again, Therapist labeled a woman as a man. Said woman was about to head into battle with a baby.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

13. Post #3173
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    3,299 Posts
    My fortress just got invaded by a swarm of gobbos. Things were getting tense as the goblins cut through wave after wave of dwarves. They were unstoppable. They charged through my front gates, darting past the tripped traps in their wake when suddenly the cavalry appeared. One of my legendary marksdwarves begins shooting the goblins and they start falling one after the other. They close in on my dwarf and the stairs down to the civilians below, but he keeps fighting and they keep falling. Their numbers were dropping but a single hit on my dwarf would spell doom for the rest of the fortress...

Then the game crashed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

14. Post #3174
    December 2009
    7,270 Posts
    Are there more babies as of lately? My dwarves have been giving birth at least once per couple minutes, and I just had a three birth streak, where three dwarves were born in one second.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #3175
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    What are some good ways of rooting out vampires that won't result in the death of everyone in the fortress?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

16. Post #3176
    February 2010
    195 Posts
    Check if they're a member of numerous groups, usually they have a large number of memberships. With a large number of dwarves this gets annoying, though

17. Post #3177
    Dennab
    November 2009
    2,472 Posts
    So water doesn't unfreeze in freezing biomes? That may be a problem since i embarked with a fisherdwarf + fishcleaner with a river.

I guess the fact that it is "freezing" should have been a dead giveaway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

18. Post #3178
    wtf am i reading
    June 2010
    15,937 Posts
    Any tips on killing a vampire?
    Asshole drained my legendary dwarf.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Croatia Show Events

19. Post #3179
    December 2009
    7,270 Posts
    How would I go about murdering children? Is there a way I can command them all to go somewhere?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

20. Post #3180
    August 2011
    703 Posts
    I don't understand why people need Dwarf Therapist. I don't use it and I play just fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #3181
    February 2010
    195 Posts
    Any tips on killing a vampire?
    Asshole drained my legendary dwarf.
    A dwarven atom smasher would do the trick.

22. Post #3182
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,446 Posts
    So water doesn't unfreeze in freezing biomes? That may be a problem since i embarked with a fisherdwarf + fishcleaner with a river.

I guess the fact that it is "freezing" should have been a dead giveaway.
    You could always dig down into the caverns and fish there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #3183
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    16,869 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 2 (list)

24. Post #3184
    August 2010
    4,502 Posts
    So my craftsdwarfs workshop was claimed in my new fort, by a dwarven child.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

25. Post #3185
    Dennab
    November 2009
    2,472 Posts
    Adventure mode, a bowman shoots me in the heart, cutting the artery open, i take it out and stab him in the head with it. Next bowman misses and i take his bow, throw it at him and it shatters his skull. Commence bleeding to death.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

26. Post #3186
    August 2010
    4,502 Posts

Mother of god.

Edited:

Suddenly this child is now a legendary wood crafter.

What is this magic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

27. Post #3187
    December 2009
    7,270 Posts
    How long does it take for any exciting offensive things to happen?

I see there's a goblin civilization, but all I get are the occasional thief or child snatcher (Take the children! I need to get rid of them!).

I haven't had a single ambush, and I have my defenses all set up. I have a drawbridge with more than ten traps in the entrance, and when I close the drawbridge, the only way in is a hallway lined with cage traps, blade-disk weapons traps, and dozens of rockfall traps.

Actually, as I was typing this, the game notified me of an ambush! It was just three or so goblins, so a combination of my various traps and dogs killed them with ease. There was one miner dead, and a bone carver missing. I assume they were outside.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

28. Post #3188
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,520 Posts
    Really interesing read.

I find dwarf fortress gets kind of boring if you don't have a project on the go to distract you between sieges.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #3189
    December 2009
    7,270 Posts
    By the way, is there some way to get everyone inside? I had to make a new stone stockpile and dig out a small area of rock to generate enough rock to get all the non-military dwarves to work on hauling stone instead of dicking around outside.

30. Post #3190
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,520 Posts
    How long does it take for any exciting offensive things to happen?

I see there's a goblin civilization, but all I get are the occasional thief or child snatcher (Take the children! I need to get rid of them!).

I haven't had a single ambush, and I have my defenses all set up. I have a drawbridge with more than ten traps in the entrance, and when I close the drawbridge, the only way in is a hallway lined with cage traps, blade-disk weapons traps, and dozens of rockfall traps.

Actually, as I was typing this, the game notified me of an ambush! It was just three or so goblins, so a combination of my various traps and dogs killed them with ease. There was one miner dead, and a bone carver missing. I assume they were outside.
    Raise your created wealth by making things, gets you closer to a siege.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

31. Post #3191
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,473 Posts
    I don't understand why people need Dwarf Therapist. I don't use it and I play just fine.
    It's useful if you want to create a militia, and you want to quickly find the dwarves with the most prior combat experience. It's a lot faster than manually reviewing every dwarf's skills in-game, but I've never tried to use it for any more advanced purposes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

32. Post #3192
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,469 Posts
    So, how do I fix my marksmen? They say they can't reach the site, and just hang out in the stupid meeting hall.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

33. Post #3193
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,446 Posts
    By the way, is there some way to get everyone inside? I had to make a new stone stockpile and dig out a small area of rock to generate enough rock to get all the non-military dwarves to work on hauling stone instead of dicking around outside.
    Make a meeting area (i > make a zone > m) over an area you want all your dwarves/animals to go to when they aren't doing anything. Probably over your dining hall.

You can also make a burrow (w) and then assign everyone to it (m > a > civs to a burrow) if you want to keep them inside no matter what.

34. Post #3194
    December 2009
    7,270 Posts
    Make a meeting area (i > make a zone > m) over an area you want all your dwarves/animals to go to when they aren't doing anything. Probably over your dining hall.You can also make a burrow (w) and then assign everyone to it (m > a > civs to a burrow) if you want to keep them inside no matter what.
    I already have a dining hall (Legendary!) as a meeting place, but I've never really used burrows before. I'll try that out.

Edited:

Holy shit, everything just happened at once.

A farmer went into a fell mood, and needed leather, which I didn't have. I worked really hard to get a single unit of leather (butchered a corpse), and in doing this, forgot to make booze. Everyone went to the bottom of the map to a river for drinks, and an ambush occurred. People are currently being slaughtered down there.

Then, a caravan comes. And another ambush appears right near them. I'm currently attempting to make my dwarves all get back inside, then hope the traps kill the two ambushes off.

Edited:

Wow. Both the ambushes either disappeared or were mysteriously killed (I never sent orders to kill them!), but one of the merchants and his yak went mad, another merchant ran into a cage trap, and my dwarves carried off the contents of the caravan.

I really hope they don't hate me for this.

35. Post #3195
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    5,964 Posts
    So a bunch of kobolds were sitting outside my fortress. Thankfully I predicted the need for multiple layers of doors, so I locked them in the courtyard. I knew they were there even if they didn't spawn due to save scumming like a bastard.

For some reason my legion of stone traps would not trigger on the bastards either. They weren't thieves or anything. But I basically locked them out and stopped giving a fuck. Then a migrant wave came, releasing a migrant every so often to die horribly to the kobolds, who numbered around 5. They killed around 5 migrants, including 3 children (No fucks were given).

Then this bowyer went absolutely apeshit. She tantrumed, charged at a kobold, causing him to dodge into a pool of murky water, where he drowned. Then she charged another one, breaking several limbs with her bare hands before punching through its skull (sorry Orkel). Did the same thing to a third kobold while the remaining two were off chasing a child. After punching through THAT kobold's skull, again after breaking numerous bones via wrestling, she started to chase the others, which ran as fast as they could out of there.

I had no military, so she basically saved the fortress. I had every intention of making her militia commander, but after everyone was let back in, she went stark raving mad. A damn shame too.

36. Post #3196
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,730 Posts

So far so good with the plans I have for this Fortress. This is meant to be a sort of agricultural center, one side deals with food while the other deals with "non-food" items (in other words, cloth and dyes.) The central pyramid (not even sure if I'll make it a pyramid, got some interesting ideas for designs) will have all the breweries, food storage, and plant processing I'll need for the fortress. The white walls and such are all dolomite block, with the very smooth white flooring porcelain. The roofs of these things are made out of clear glass blocks, and they're a pain in the ass to get (I have no source of sand, so it's all imported) and yeah, it shows up as black in this 3d reader, no idea why.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

37. Post #3197
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,520 Posts
    Yeah i'm currently using glass for the viewing area of my arena, big pain to get.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #3198
    March 2011
    116 Posts

um
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #3199
    OBLIVIOUS
    September 2011
    559 Posts
    Oh dear, I have just had my first vampire attack. No witnesses even though all my dwarves sleep in one massive communal bedding area. Hopefully this won't get too out of hand.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

40. Post #3200
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,283 Posts
    Just wait til' the vampire kills all the other dwarves and he's the last one left, then you'll know who it is. It's the process of elimination.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Optimistic Optimistic x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)