I hope they include rover parts as a secret surprise this update

Edited:

not holding my breath though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #4202
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,739 Posts
    I hope they include more engines and tanks and stuff this update.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #4203
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    2,422 Posts
    So, where are we at feature-wise? I stopped playing after they transitioned to the pay-for-the-updates system so what came after that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4204
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,228 Posts
    So, where are we at feature-wise? I stopped playing after they transitioned to the pay-for-the-updates system so what came after that?
    We've advanced tremendously. We've got much better flight simulation, patched conics for the orbit map (You can see where you will enter Munar orbit), another moon (Minimus), a building for building spaceplanes (Horizontal symmetry), a mountain of new plug-in based mods and new atmospheric engines.

For the next update we are looking at 3D vehicle interiors and EVAs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

5. Post #4205
    Fuck Bitches, Get Scritches
    April 2005
    1,319 Posts
    What does the little circular gauge by your altimeter mean/do?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

6. Post #4206
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,839 Posts
    For the next update we are looking at 3D vehicle interiors and EVAs.
    I might've missed something, but what is an EVA?

What does the little circular gauge by your altimeter mean/do?
    If I remember the UI correctly, your rise/fall.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

7. Post #4207
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    I might've missed something, but what is an EVA?
    Extra-vehicular activity.

AKA spacewalk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 2 (list)

8. Post #4208
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,937 Posts
    N3X15 posted:
    Hi, your local devthread hobo here again with some new stuff about the patcher.

The patcher was added late in the 0.14.x development series in order to simplify updating and reduce update download sizes, and unfortunately, it has had a bunch of problems. The main concerns are that the entire patching system is huge (about 120MB), uses mostly third-party code, is unreliable, and it is incapable of downloading itself when it's updated. In essence, it's been a huge pain and hasn't really been as useful as we originally intended. We've made a few quick fixes here and there to it, but it still needs a lot of work. In this light, we've made it one of the higher priorities to fix, and after a few false starts and distractions (including University, yay summer), I finally have an open schedule for working on it.

Many problems stem from how the patcher was originally structured. Right now, it uses Unity to draw the UI and handle events, which makes it simply enormous and adds thousands of useless dependencies and inefficiencies, contributing to the astronomical size of the current patcher. I've rewritten the UI in Windows.Forms (don't worry, Mac/Linux users; Mono can handle Winforms on your platforms) and ditched Unity, so beyond a few compression libraries, it's now completely standalone and is down to about 500KB in size. The UI isn't particularly pretty, but complex UIs can mess up the Mono compatibility, and the UI isn't really a focus right now anyway; The most important part is the functionality and reliability of the system.

The current system just blindly attempts to apply patches to files, and if something breaks, you're left with a big, fat pile of corrupted files, and further attempts to "redo" the patch will just make them even more messed up. To correct this, I'm planning to add a checksum manifest to the patches that tells the patcher what the "old" files MUST look like before it'll even try a patching operation. In addition, the patcher will generate the finished file in a temporary folder while patching and will only copy the file over if nothing goes wrong. This way if something does go wrong, the corruption will just be in that temporary folder, and not in your KSP installation. If the files on your computer don't match up with what the patcher is expecting to see, it'll ask if you want to redownload KSP and then start downloading that huge ZIP file from the website for you and will overwrite your install with the correct files. No more digging through the website to fix your install. I might also have it ask what to do about any stock parts you overwrite (for those horrible people doing terrible things to C7's engines and stuff).

In the past, we were also using a third-party binary patching program that we crammed into the installation, which allows us to just send you the parts of KSP that have changed between versions. Executing this little program could be troublesome with some types of environments, and we could not directly change it due to licensing, on top of the juggling of the different editions of the program for each OS we support. To solve these problems, I've managed to find some code that replicates that program that we can legally include in our patcher, and we can modify it as we see fit. Since it's built-in, we don't have to worry as much about cross-platform support, and it's also a bit more memory-efficient. It's also free, which is always cool. I plan to instrument the heck out of the patcher and throw together some unit tests for it so we can be sure that it works properly before we dump it on your laps.

I'm not sure whether the patcher will be completed for 0.16 due to the sheer immensity of the problems it has manifested and the amount of code that I have to fix and refactor, plus the links with our web infrastructure that need some TLC. However, it is definitely my main project for the foreseeable future (unless the plugin stuff breaks or needs more features), and I'm making steady progress in getting it ready for primetime. Hopefully, it'll fit all your needs and won't be such a pain in the rear to use.

A screenie (already out of date, but shows the new UI in general):

More updates to come.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Informative Informative x 2Useful Useful x 2 (list)

9. Post #4209
    wasted $2 on a title
    June 2007
    1,473 Posts

First time getting the rover to the moon, ;D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 New Zealand Show Events Winner Winner x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #4210
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,015 Posts

It gets into orbit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Winner Winner x 2 (list)

11. Post #4211
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,839 Posts
    I look forward to stranding a Kerbal on the moon in one rocket, then bringing him back by having him hang off the side of a second rocket.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #4212
    July 2010
    622 Posts
    Captain Skunky's cartoons are getting better with every episode :V

Edited:

Sorry for being a clock...time passes rather slowly where I live.
    The comics aren't actually created by Capt_Skunky, it's Sordid who creates them. Capt_Skunky just does blog posts there, and I think he may be paying for the website (not 100% sure on that, though).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

13. Post #4213
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,904 Posts

Upsidown tri-couplers are cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 5Winner Winner x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

14. Post #4214
    July 2010
    622 Posts

Upsidown? It's upside-down... Though that sounds like a cool word.

But yeah, "Upsidown" tri-coupler ARE cool... and they are also pretty buggy, sadly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #4215
    Dennab
    May 2012
    1,765 Posts
    Feature wise this game is awesome already.

Imagine at the end of the alpha around .9- how awesome the game will be.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #4216
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,156 Posts

I'm kind of surprised that design doesn't fly really funny when one of the tri-tanks empties before the others and causes balance issues.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #4217
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,636 Posts
    I stopped playing after they transitioned to the pay-for-the-updates system
    Sorry but what do you mean by this? Are we going to have to buy updates later in development even after buying the game?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #4218
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,796 Posts
    I think he means the 0.13 being the last free version thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #4219
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,015 Posts
    think this is enough rockets

Shit I think I broke it

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 11Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

20. Post #4220
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    17,366 Posts
    nah that happens

way too often
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #4221
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,419 Posts
    That means you didn't have enough rockets
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

22. Post #4222
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,015 Posts
    There needs to be a set of parts that are just small bits of set weights, like 0.5, 1, 1.5 etc, so we can balance out asymmetrical rockets (more or mess)

In other news 70km orbit is best orbit

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #4223
    Dennab
    May 2012
    1,765 Posts
    I hope there are 2 secret things in this update.

Docking.
    Official rovers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

24. Post #4224
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    I hope there are 2 secret things in this update.

Docking.
    Reentry effects.
    Fix'd

But the other thing is cool, too... I guess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

25. Post #4225
    Dennab
    May 2012
    1,765 Posts
    CONGRATS KSP

1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/...?topic=14927.0

I've been with KSP from the beginning, ever since it hit FP.

When gameplay was trying to reach the highest altitude and there were no dreams of a moon, let alone 2. Symmetry was the biggest anticipated feature and nobody thought orbiting was even possible.

Now look where we are.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 14Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #4226
    TIME ALLEN
    May 2008
    1,639 Posts
    Landed on Minmus for the first time :')

(note that i do have mechjeb - used it to get into orbit, tried to use it to go to minmus, it fucked up, so i did everything manually from that point)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #4227
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    I really wish I had radial SAS so I didn't have to waste my weight budget on so many RCS tanks or mess up my center of gravity with more RCS modules.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #4228
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,015 Posts
    Doodled a kerbal (probably jeb)

Will do more with it but its late
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 9Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #4229
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,090 Posts
    Doodled a kerbal (probably jeb)

Would do more with it but its late
    Looks like he's screaming so it's probably Bob or Bill.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events Zing Zing x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #4230
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,015 Posts
    I was aiming more for the huge grin
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #4231
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,090 Posts
    Oh.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #4232
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    3,685 Posts
    CONGRATS KSP

1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/...?topic=14927.0

I've been with KSP from the beginning, ever since it hit FP.

When gameplay was trying to reach the highest altitude and there were no dreams of a moon, let alone 2. Symmetry was the biggest anticipated feature and nobody thought orbiting was even possible.

Now look where we are.
    I remember back then, I made a coupla parts and even wrote the CFG documentation for the wiki.

I dunno if anyone ever uses that, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #4233
    January 2010
    9,515 Posts
    I made a mun rocket using only the 909 liquid engines (the tiny ones)

The complete rocket

1st stage seperation

2nd stage seperation. It lasted for quite a while, but I actually needed that for later.

Landed!

Going back home.

Don't have a decoupler so I gotta have to land the entire lander

But I (sort of) managed to do so! At first I hoped for a landing in the ocean (as I got), but as I think of it now, a land landing would probably have saved the rest of the lander. Anyways, mission successful!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #4234
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,090 Posts
    I made a mun rocket using only the 909 liquid engines (the tiny ones)
    I did too.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

35. Post #4235
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    20,688 Posts
    Technically the tiny engines are the most efficient ones because their are lightest and the thrust per unit of fuel is equivalent on the vanilla engines.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

36. Post #4236
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,645 Posts
    :D America is designing moon rockets again :D

http://spacenews.com/launch/120622-b...esign-sls.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

37. Post #4237
    beep
    January 2006
    7,343 Posts

i finally got my space plane to orbit kerbin with a few modifications.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

38. Post #4238
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,937 Posts
    HarvesteR posted:
    Will we be able to use our E.V.A thruster packs while hanging on a ladder, and also, will jumping off of ladders follow Newton's laws of motion? So, jumping off would provide a small amount of force to the ladder (and thus whatever it is attached to).
    Right now, that's not possible, but I have been thinking about that, and it would be a very interesting thing to do. However, I think that sort of interaction with physical objects needs its own dedicated feature maybe.

About Newton-correct forces when ladder climbing, I did my best here to keep the Kerbals as physically significant as I could while writing the EVA control code. However, character physics, apart from ragdolls, is an exceedingly complex subject. Consider, for instance, how hugely complicated a system of forces, torques and friction you'd need just to simulate something as simple as walking, You'd have to consider the friction coefficients of both the walking surface and the boot soles, consider the area of the boots that touches the ground at any given time during the walk cycle, calculate the forces that result from that friction system and the torque that's being applied to the thigh and calf joints, all to make the character move around.

Needless to say, to make this a feasible endeavour, we have to cut a few corners. It's far easier to just move the character forward while playing an animation that looks like walking, and the end result is much easier to tune and work with.

Long story short then, for character control, we chose to put top priority on gameplay and feel, not realism. That isn't saying characters behave completely unrealistically though, but on the other hand, no one should expect complete physical accuracy from them either.

Worry not though, the space flight physics for EVAs are the same as for vessels. Given enough RCS fuel, you could orbit your way back to Kerbin, without a ship.

How is fuel for Kerbal EVA packs going to be handled? Is it going to be infinite? Is it going to be "you get so much per EVA, and it resets when you dock," or "you get so much per pack?" Or maybe you'll be able to refuel from RCS tanks on a given spacecraft?
    It's not going to be infinite. That would make it possible to just forget the ships and go 'solo', and that's quite silly, even for Kerbal standards.

Most likely you will be given a finite amount of fuel when you leave the ship/base/station, and to refuel, you'd need to board it to leave again with a full tank. That would keep it simple and realistic, limiting your range of action with EVAs alone, unless you take some sort of mobile base with you for long expeditions.

Cheers
    HarvesteR posted:
    Here's a new progress update:

The EVA ladder system is very much done I think. At least concerning what it needs to do for now... That means there are only a few other things left to do to be able to call EVAs ready.

First and foremost, the game needs to be able to spawn a Kerbal EVA at the pod's airlock, and also later let you board the ship again through that same airlock. We also need to rig up a menu of sorts on the crew portraits, to let you select which Kerbal to EVA (or IVA) with.

Also, and not at all less importantly, we still need to finish the low-gravity walk system. Right now, what we have just doesn't cut it. We'll need to dedicate some effort to get it working nicely.

With those bits done, we just need to polish and clean up, and set up support features to integrate EVAs in the game, like UI bits and such.

It's still to early to be talking about experimentals and all though... I'm just happy to see that EVAs are past the half-way point now.

Cheers
    Edited:

Firing of the latest version of SpaceX's Merlin engine:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8Informative Informative x 2 (list)

39. Post #4239
    beep
    January 2006
    7,343 Posts
    Does anyone else wish for a space drydock to make space traveling craft?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

40. Post #4240
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,937 Posts
    Holy shit this cart mod is amazing! Why didn't I get it earlier?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)