1. Post #4281
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,090 Posts
    Is it just me or does the Kerbal in those screenshots Harv just released look the exact same size as the command pod?
    Harv commented on it in the quoted text:

Harvester posted:
    (Mind that the parts haven't been rescaled yet. That ship is much too small to be able to hold three Kerbals and their helmets. That will change soon.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

2. Post #4282
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,418 Posts
    I went into a polar Lünar orbit, landed a lander, and sent it to the north pole:
    Landing site was 16.8 km away.

Kerbin just below the horizon:

High-five.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Winner Winner x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #4283
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,146 Posts

High-five.
    The Mun north pole looks amazing, i need to get my rover there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4284
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,937 Posts
    Minmus seems minuscule from orbit but once you land on it and start driving around it seems so much bigger.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #4285
    Minmus seems minuscule from orbit but once you land on it and start driving around it seems so much bigger.
    Jupiter seems small from your backyard. But I assure you, it is not. Cosmic scales are incredibly mind boggling. I'm impressed with how KSP have managed to get the scale to feel right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 11Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #4286
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,937 Posts

Automerge
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8 (list)

7. Post #4287
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,146 Posts
    Fuck me for driving the Rover at full speed on the mun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #4288
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    8,214 Posts
    so i decided i missed this game and ended up buying it.

landed on mun with vanilla parts, went back to mun and was going to put stuff into low orbit

took this picture because it was the lowest point in the orbit. alt tabbed to put it in paint... and crashed into a mountain... :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 8Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #4289
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,146 Posts

fuck yeah
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #4290
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,796 Posts
    I added Kosmos 4.1 to my game and designed a small craft using vanilla parts. However, when I tried to launch my ship, the game crashed. I reinstalled and tried to launch using the same ship, but without Kosmos, and it succeeded in loading, but when I added Kosmos and launched the craft unmodified, it crashed again.
    Any help?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

11. Post #4291
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,645 Posts
    I added Kosmos 4.1 to my game and designed a small craft using vanilla parts. However, when I tried to launch my ship, the game crashed. I reinstalled and tried to launch using the same ship, but without Kosmos, and it succeeded in loading, but when I added Kosmos and launched the craft unmodified, it crashed again.
    Any help?
    probably no ram. you should try and add the low res pack. they really need to make KSP support .DDS :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #4292
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,796 Posts
    probably no ram. you should try and add the low res pack. they really need to make KSP support .DDS :(
    Probably. I'm only running Windows XP with three and a half gigs, but I'm planning on upgrading to Windows 7 to take advantage of the full eight gigs that I have.
    Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

13. Post #4293
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    2,554 Posts
    Should I keep going with this?

Bonus: Huge Resolution
    http://niggaupload.com/images/5GZOu.jpg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 25 (list)

14. Post #4294
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    Very yes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

15. Post #4295
    November 2009
    8,737 Posts
    So... What's included in the demo, and what features are specific to the paid version?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

16. Post #4296
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    So... What's included in the demo, and what features are specific to the paid version?
    Basically in the demo you get:
    A moon
    [most] user-made addons work

But if you pay you get:
    SPACE PLANES!
    Persistence (You're shit stays in orbit as opposed to only having one ship at a time)
    Another moon!
    Plugin support like Mechjeb and Cart
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #4297
    Dennab
    May 2012
    1,765 Posts
    And in a week or two you get walking, talking (not really) Kerbals.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

18. Post #4298
    November 2009
    8,737 Posts
    Basically in the demo you get:
    A moon
    [most] user-made addons work

But if you pay you get:
    SPACE PLANES!
    Persistence (You're shit stays in orbit as opposed to only having one ship at a time)
    Another moon!
    Plugin support like Mechjeb and Cart

So I get two moons, planes, and I can see everything I've launched previously?

Buying this after the Steam sale. I've got a focus group I'm doing soon, so I'll have $75 spending money.

And then Space.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #4299
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,015 Posts
    Eventually kerbin is just going to be shrouded in a cloud of stations, spent boosters, and 3rd stages.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

20. Post #4300
    Dennab
    May 2012
    1,765 Posts
    Eventually kerbin is just going to be shrouded in a cloud of stations, spent boosters, and 3rd stages.
    Kessler (Kepler?) syndrome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #4301
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    1,056 Posts
    Its why I periodically delete the persistence save.

that and the shame of having 'orbital cleaner' debris in orbit :saddowns:   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

22. Post #4302
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,015 Posts
    For some reason I almost want an orbital collision to happen because it would be really cool
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

23. Post #4303
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    17,366 Posts
    Kessler (Kepler?) syndrome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 11Winner Winner x 4 (list)

24. Post #4304
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    932 Posts
    Should I keep going with this?

Bonus: Huge Resolution
    http://niggaupload.com/images/5GZOu.jpg

I would love you forever if you could make a part that is something like this,

I realise there are already dish parts in various packs but I would love to have a nice a big one on a ground mounting that I can deploy at my Mun base.

Edited:

Oh and I've been working on a skycrane for my rovers,

those photos were taken over two landings, both were successful I just didn't get a chance to get a shot of the released skycrane on the first landing :c
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 12Informative Informative x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #4305
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,015 Posts
    Mother of god

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Winner Winner x 2 (list)

26. Post #4306
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,326 Posts
    The rocket that I use for landing on the mun/minmus actually doesn't leave any debris in orbit, all the pieces crash into something before the end of the mission.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

27. Post #4307
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,645 Posts
    awesome lander crane.

also, seems the Merlin1D is a pintle type engine. 0__O
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

28. Post #4308
    $1 Title to make me look important
    October 2005
    1,334 Posts
    HarvesteR posted:
    Well, it took some doing, but I finally managed to get the Kerbals to save and load along with the persistent flight scene. Now, the game will resume a saved state with EVAs in it properly.

I also managed to make that happen using the PartModule system that we already had set up. Now, the EVA controller extends PartModule, which means we can use all its goodies, like automatic persistence management, and nice handy events to save and load EVA-specific data.

Next up is tweaking the Kerbal crewmember code a bit, so that it becomes an entry point for all crew features. The plan is to split the facial expression AI code into a separate component, and have a main Kerbal class to support the code for transitioning into EVA and IVA modes, as well as transfering crew from one vessel to another (EVAs are just another vessel).

Good progress today, even though there isn't much to show for it... A screenshot of a persistent Kerbal looks very much the same as a screenshot of a non-persistent one.

Cheers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 5 (list)

29. Post #4309
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    2,554 Posts

I realise there are already dish parts in various packs but I would love to have a nice a big one on a ground mounting that I can deploy at my Mun base.
    I'll give it a try.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #4310
    TIME ALLEN
    May 2008
    1,639 Posts

-snip-

Edited:

Oh and I've been working on a skycrane for my rovers,

-snip-

those photos were taken over two landings, both were successful I just didn't get a chance to get a shot of the released skycrane on the first landing :c
    as a pretty big fan of the NASA rover missions

holy fuck

thank you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

31. Post #4311
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,146 Posts
    One does not simply jump a minmus mountain by using the rover RDS...

Poor Kermen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5 (list)

32. Post #4312
    July 2008
    423 Posts
    I just installed Kosmos and I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing. I watched the video on how to make the VA capsule, but there are so many parts that all look like they do different things and use different fuels and shrouds and connectors and classes ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I can probably figure out all of the engine parts and stuff eventually, but what do all of the science and utility parts do? Just for show, or roleplaying?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

33. Post #4313
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    20,688 Posts
    I am sorry but is "kerbals" the right word?

I always had the impression that saying "Kerman - Kermen" is more proper
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Czech Republic Show Events Informative Informative x 4Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #4314
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,840 Posts
    Pretty sure Kerman is the last name of all Kerbals.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

35. Post #4315
    January 2009
    20,688 Posts
    Pretty sure Kerman is the last name of all Kerbals.
    Which sorta implies they are all, you know, Kermen.

If they are Kermen, you can call them collectively as Kermen.

I just have problem with Kerbals because I have irresistible urge to spell it Kerballs, then
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Czech Republic Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

36. Post #4316
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    I wish 4-thruster assemblies didn't spin out of control for no reason in space.

You know what I mean if you've ever made a space VTOL.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 2 (list)

37. Post #4317
    January 2009
    20,688 Posts
    I wish 4-thruster assemblies didn't spin out of control for no reason in space.

You know what I mean if you've ever made a space VTOL.
    Your problem is your engines probably take your fuel unevenly. Either supply each engine with it's own isolated fuel supply which will be balanced with the rest, or link fuel in such a way that your engines will all be linked to one "proxy" tank and that will be linked to the rest through a webbing of tubes. I then got it to usually evenly eat the fuel from all the tanks and then the proxy tank.

Another thing is that once on orbit, you can try working with really little thrust, and balance the spin out using gyros/RCS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Czech Republic Show Events

38. Post #4318
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    Your problem is your engines probably take your fuel unevenly
    Are you serious UGHGHGHGHGH

God damnit KSP this isn't how physics happens
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

39. Post #4319
    January 2009
    20,688 Posts
    Are you serious UGHGHGHGHGH

God damnit KSP this isn't how physics happens
    I mean, it can be the case, I don't know, it depends on your particular design.

Rick click the fuel tanks. It tells you how much fuel is in each. If there is one to the side emptying and some on the other side intact, you know your problem.

And KSP is usually TRYING to do a good job, because, usually, you WANT to empty the upmost tanks in a stack first, because it gets the center of weight closer to the thrusters - more stability. The "outer" fuel tanks also try to get emptied earlier - should you want to jettison them.

Problem is that in some cases it works JUST as you don't want to, and empties one where it should spread the consumption evenly, or it empties all of them when you plan to drain and jettison that particular one.

Try to experiment with your tubing placement. Link them, disconnect them, etc. I thought placement of them within the launch sequence had effect, but I couldn't get that to work efficiently.

I think they should add complex fuel management possibilities in the building phrase.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Czech Republic Show Events

40. Post #4320
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    932 Posts
    I mean, it can be the case, I don't know, it depends on your particular design.

Rick click the fuel tanks. It tells you how much fuel is in each. If there is one to the side emptying and some on the other side intact, you know your problem.

And KSP is usually TRYING to do a good job, because, usually, you WANT to empty the upmost tanks in a stack first, because it gets the center of weight closer to the thrusters - more stability. The "outer" fuel tanks also try to get emptied earlier - should you want to jettison them.

Problem is that in some cases it works JUST as you don't want to, and empties one where it should spread the consumption evenly, or it empties all of them when you plan to drain and jettison that particular one.

Try to experiment with your tubing placement. Link them, disconnect them, etc. I thought placement of them within the launch sequence had effect, but I couldn't get that to work efficiently.

I think they should add complex fuel management possibilities in the building phrase.
    I found the best way is to have a proxy tank as you said where they all drain from at the start, it doesn't have to last very long but it forces the individual tanks to be drained at precisely the same time. It's the same principle I used to get my skycrane to thrust evenly.

you can barely make out the slightly raised tank in the middle with fuel lines leading into the top of the individual tanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)