1. Post #1
    Beverage Bandit
    November 2005
    19,204 Posts

-banner courtesy of Domino

Welcome to the ninth iteration of the digital 3d art thread!
    Post your models, textures, renders, sculpts etc and of course questions here.

Useful links and such
    Steam Community Page - is this active? I don't know but I'll add it on this list anyways.
    Digital 3D art v8, v7, v6 and v5 - could be nice I guess.
    Beretta 9000 video tutorial - 4 hours long video tutorial on plane modelling a pistol in 3ds Max.
    The Polycount-wiki - a catalog of information aimed at artists in game development, whether professional, student or hobbyist.
    Texturing tutorial - learn about observation, structure, shape and frequency. Some text and a ~60 minutes long video.
    How u model dem shapes? - hands-on mini-tuts for mechanical sub-division modeling.
    Modeling Joan of Arc - tutorial on modeling, unwrapping, texturing and skinning a character in Max and Photoshop.
    A Comprehensive Look at Hard Surface Modeling for Video Games - video tut on high/low poly modeling, unwrapping, and baking.
    - PM me if you know of a tutorial or whatever that is worthy of this list.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

2. Post #2
    ~ pissing excellence ~
    May 2005
    2,809 Posts
    Getting back to my issue, which was the last post:
    Something's wrong and I don't know what
    My settings:

Example:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,961 Posts
    Set Min Rate to 0 and Max to something like 4. See what happens.

edit:

In the Adaptative subdivision part..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

4. Post #4
    ~ pissing excellence ~
    May 2005
    2,809 Posts
    Nope, still the same
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

5. Post #5
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events

6. Post #6
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,192 Posts
    Made this pistol!

Slide back, hammer down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Isle of Man Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    4,309 Posts
    Anyone know why when I convert a 659MB avi into mp4 using vlc media player, the converted video plays less smooth than the huge avi does?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

8. Post #8
    June 2008
    1,026 Posts
    Getting back to my issue, which was the last post:
    Something's wrong and I don't know what
    My settings:
    Example:
    I'd like to know a solution as well
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Israel Show Events

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,321 Posts
    Anyone know why when I convert a 659MB avi into mp4 using vlc media player, the converted video plays less smooth than the huge avi does?
    Use SUPER

direct DL:
    http://www.erightsoft.info/GetFile.php?SUPERsetup.exe

It's free, and friggin awesome.

Site:
    http://www.erightsoft.com/S6Kg1.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,327 Posts
    Finished the first frame of our film today, huzzah!

As well as a test comp of the room, which is very overdone... I pretty much tested every single effect and technique I'm going to use in compositing on this single frame. Lens flares, lens dust, chromatic abberation, grain... fucking everything. The final edit will be done on a shot by shot basis, so don't crit it too much... just wanted to share it :)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 22Winner Winner x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    January 2010
    292 Posts
    Thoughts on what to improve or fix? Thanks. Made this in school.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    8,162 Posts

texturing go
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    6,174 Posts
    How should I go about modeling a gun grip? I tried using my (extremely limited) knowledge of subdivision modeling, and was planning on cleaning it up.

I'm terrible with modeling curved surfaces if it's more than just a sphere or portion of a sphere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    5,072 Posts
    Just thought I'd post my old Weapon model renders. Shame I lost this model. I was proud of it. :P

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    4,514 Posts
    Did another normal bake of those steps. Right now, they have ugly, fake gradient AO. I'm trying to bake the AO from the sculpted mesh to the low-poly mesh, but it's not working, as the low-poly clips with the high-poly. Even when I use VrayDirt with the option set to include no other objects but itself, it still causes issues.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

16. Post #16
    Damn why did FP add that weird scrolling thing when the image is going over the border? Now if it's a big image I need to first scroll to bottom of the post to get to the horizontal scrollbar and then scroll it and move back up. So annoying. I liked it more when images went over the border.
    Sorry a bit offtopic but it's kinda relevant here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,226 Posts
    Did another normal bake of those steps. Right now, they have ugly, fake gradient AO. I'm trying to bake the AO from the sculpted mesh to the low-poly mesh, but it's not working, as the low-poly clips with the high-poly. Even when I use VrayDirt with the option set to include no other objects but itself, it still causes issues.
    are you using a cage?

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    3,846 Posts
    The scrolling thing with large images is really fucked up.
    So rescaling images would be apriciated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Sweden Show Events

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    4,514 Posts
    are you using a cage?
    Yes. Pushed out enough not to clip with the highpoly. The normal map baking isn't giving any issues.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,807 Posts
    How should I go about modeling a gun grip? I tried using my (extremely limited) knowledge of subdivision modeling, and was planning on cleaning it up.

I'm terrible with modeling curved surfaces if it's more than just a sphere or portion of a sphere.
    Look up a shit ton of reference material. It looks like you're going for a Revolver style so maybe start there. From that use the reference to adjust the model until you get it looking how you want it, with a believable level of realism.

Right now, it looks a bit too thin and would be uncomfortable to hold. Maybe use a FFD modifier to thicken it?

21. Post #21
    August 2011
    166 Posts
    update on my model from the v8 thread. made a lot of changes. obviously still heavily wip / unfinished parts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Artistic Artistic x 13Winner Winner x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,192 Posts
    update on my model from the v8 thread. made a lot of changes. obviously still heavily wip / unfinished parts

What was this modelled in? looks fantastic!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Isle of Man Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

23. Post #23
    August 2011
    166 Posts
    Thanks, I use Autodesk 3ds Max 2010.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,226 Posts
    Yes. Pushed out enough not to clip with the highpoly. The normal map baking isn't giving any issues.
    hmm what are you baking with?

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    4,514 Posts
    hmm what are you baking with?
    Tried two manners of baking. Using a VrayLightMaterial with the color map set to VrayDirt on the highpoly, which in turn was set to ignore any object but itself. Second fashion was also using Vray, using blank, white materials, some environment light, but that also returned weird results.

Going to try it with Light Tracer now.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,226 Posts
    it's another step to export but might i recommend using xNormal (mostly because you can put it on the gpu) and the results are always fantastic

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    4,514 Posts
    it's another step to export but might i recommend using xNormal (mostly because you can put it on the gpu) and the results are always fantastic
    I'll check out xNormal. Heard good things about that, and I have a decent GPU, so if it's a tad faster, it'd be great.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,226 Posts
    also it's really great with padding settings and whatnot. the only downfall to using the gpu versus cpu is that it doesn't support AA, so you have to render it at 2x your target resolution and then scale back down to half size to get good AA. It's still loads faster than cpu based renderings even considering that.

oh and it comes with some great photoshop filters like normalize normal maps and normals -> cavity which works great as a diffuse/spec popper.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    4,514 Posts

Xnormal produced the AO. Turns out it wasn't my renderer being weird, just that the AO looked different than I expected. Each step is six triangles, and I'm pretty happy with the results. Need to add more moss/dirt against the underside of the steps though, since that would be the most logical place for it to be, aside between the large stones.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    4,309 Posts
    I love fluid simulations:

The triple wave thing near the end is just awesome.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 22Winner Winner x 8Agree Agree x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Penis Architect
    November 2008
    9,473 Posts
    What do you use to mesh the particles? If it's the RealFlow internal one, could you share the settings?

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    4,309 Posts
    What do you use to mesh the particles? If it's the RealFlow internal one, could you share the settings?
    Im using blender, the thing is calculated as a mesh.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,177 Posts

Made a quick mockup of my weekend project to fabricate, I'm excited. (Casting concrete)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 9Winner Winner x 3 (list)

34. Post #34
    Beverage Bandit
    November 2005
    19,204 Posts
    are you going to put charming vintage objects into the holes and then put a pane of glass over it all?

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,177 Posts
    are you going to put charming vintage objects into the holes and then put a pane of glass over it all?
    That's an interesting idea, the design is actually a sampling from Frank Lloyd Wright's Robbie house which I visited a few weeks back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    May 2010
    3,679 Posts
    Oh, speaking of Frank Lloyd Wright I never showed the finished model of Fallingwater (Had a month to do it and I'm terrible at making terrain right now... and we were forced to use Blender with the internal renderer):

(those are the edited renders and I didn't make the guest house because it wasn't part of the exercise)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Propane Nightmares
    May 2007
    8,504 Posts
    gotta say Scotchair, i'm a massive fan of your work. was reading your blog for your time machine movie, and it looks fantastic. really nice attention to detail and everything has so much character.

here's something i've been working on, trying to get the hang of Nuke and colour grading:

currently finishing my BSc animation degree and i'm about to start a course at Escape Studios doing Animation VFX Professional, really hyped for it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,177 Posts

Did some more buildings, Turning out to be a fun little diversion from NYC.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 17Winner Winner x 6 (list)

39. Post #39
    May 2010
    3,679 Posts
    I find it both inspiring and depressive that you can make such good quality buildings in a few days
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,177 Posts
    Although I only have done five buildings for the project I decided to roughly lay them out and fill a scene just to get an idea of how it will feel in the end, I like the way its looking.

Ultimately I'll have around 20-25 unique buildings, I think I'll make three more tomorrow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 22Artistic Artistic x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)