1. Post #1081
    May 2011
    3,054 Posts
    That would look fantastic with a quick AO render. And you are doing it perfectly! (Place a skylight 'lighting>standard>skylight' and then press f9, go to advanced lighting and set it to light tracer.)
    I'm actually gonna try Cycles here in a moment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #1082
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    9,994 Posts
    My bad, Maya 2011 64 bit
    woodly woodly woo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #1083
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    2,606 Posts
    woodly woodly woo
    Oh yeah.

I've never used Maya, but are you using the PSD as the texture? I think you used the Cloud effect and it didn't properly come into Maya.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #1084
    May 2011
    3,054 Posts

Took a long time to render, but oh well.

5. Post #1085
    May 2010
    3,679 Posts
    Are you going for a poly limit? Those little indentations in the floor could be smoothed out more, even if they are straight, they could use some smoothing that fits them better.

Edited:

Once you have a UV map, you save the image and then load it as applied to the model, navigate to the "Render" toolbar, and go all the way to the right and find a closed tab named "Bake", these are what I used to bake:

There are many ways to change how good the quality of the bake is, and you can look those up via google, but the most drastic change would have to be "Normalized" (makes it brighter instead of really dark) and increasing the sample count, which is not located near the Bake panel, but instead navigate to the "World" toolbar tab, and find this:

Make sure it's enabled.

Go right of that and you'll see this:

Default samples is 5, for best quality go up to 32, it will dramatically decrease the speed of the bake and (on my computer) overall computer speed. I do believe Blender's samples is a lot lower than that of others, I think 3ds Max goes up to 128 samples. Not sure. Well, I hope this helped.
    In addition to this, if you add a subsurf modifier to the object you want to bake the ambient occlusion from, set the level of rendering subdivision you want and uncheck "subdivide UVs" on the subsurf settings, the baked map will be smoother (hard edges are not noticeable anymore)

6. Post #1086
    Tophat Enthusiast
    July 2011
    3,697 Posts

Took a long time to render, but oh well.
    Really hate to point out small details but the grateing on the windows are not wood but rather stickers of a sort. As you can see here.

Looks stellar by the way!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #1087
    Propane Nightmares
    May 2007
    8,859 Posts
    got bored of animating last night and decided to waste an hour making stupid faces with my character instead of going to bed.

don't do drugs kids:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 18Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #1088
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,829 Posts
    Can anyone help my friend out? He's rendering his sword in Marmoset but having problems. his description of the problem:

"Anyone got any idea why my sword renders in Marmoset come out like this? Their coming out extremely dark, this shot is with the light on x5 it's normal setting"

And the render:

9. Post #1089
    I like to get my fingers wet!
    September 2007
    823 Posts
    Might aswell post this here, experimenting with Turbulence FD in Cinema4D.
    Going to put this into real practice with a shuttle launch in the near future.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

10. Post #1090
    September 2011
    302 Posts
    Can anyone help my friend out? He's rendering his sword in Marmoset but having problems. his description of the problem:

"Anyone got any idea why my sword renders in Marmoset come out like this? Their coming out extremely dark, this shot is with the light on x5 it's normal setting"
    Might be a texture gamma issue but unlikely. Has he tested viewing it without any textures?
    Because it looks like some texture is affecting a bit too much since it's very light on some parts and dark on others.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events

11. Post #1091
    I like to get my fingers wet!
    September 2007
    823 Posts
    Testing more advanced smoke with camera tracking.
    If anyone has a shuttle or rocket I can use in an upcoming test, please let me know :)

12. Post #1092
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,364 Posts
    If it's camera tracked it might be more interesting to comp it on top of the footage.

13. Post #1093
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    889 Posts
    I tried to make a slow motion drop with the new speed settings.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

14. Post #1094
    October 2010
    10,403 Posts
    Results of that M1 garand I posted earlier:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Anonymous Proxy Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Winner Winner x 2 (list)

15. Post #1095
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,966 Posts
    I think you would benefit from more polies on the grip area where it has that silhouette

16. Post #1096
    Modelrator
    February 2005
    4,157 Posts
    You might also want to post wires if you want hints of poly distribution.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

17. Post #1097
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    4,611 Posts
    Working on a high-poly shipping container, for normal baking purposes. I may have to scrap parts of it though, because it doesn't have any sort of inside, and I may want to make an open version, and one that has doors on either side.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #1098
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,829 Posts
    Does anyone know what's happening here? I'm trying to import a Skinned character into another Max file by exporting it as an FBX. When I import it though it's fucking massive and it's Bones are all selected but can't be unselected.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a btter way of importing the character? Reskinning is out of the question I'm afraid.

EDIT

Never mind, figured it out. I was importing it as a dummy object and the height and width was being locked.

EDIT

Fuck, no I haven't. Can someone tell me how to import a mesh along with the Biped it's skinned to properly?

EDIT

Oop, no I have fixed it. Forgot I could merge two files together

19. Post #1099
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,428 Posts
    my houndeye

boom

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Artistic Artistic x 10 (list)

20. Post #1100
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,613 Posts
    The eyes look like grapes, there isn't enough "shine" on it for eyes.

21. Post #1101
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,428 Posts
    The eyes look like grapes, there isn't enough "shine" on it for eyes.
    It's a zbrush grab, not game res or with correct materials.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

22. Post #1102
    ?
    January 2006
    5,174 Posts
    The most tactical weapon known to man.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #1103
    Fabulous Vailglorous Extraordinaire
    February 2007
    10,709 Posts
    my friend asked me to post this, he's making a pocketwatch (the blue part is the clock itself)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

24. Post #1104
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,876 Posts
    my friend asked me to post this, he's making a pocketwatch (the blue part is the clock itself)

I want one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #1105
    Fabulous Vailglorous Extraordinaire
    February 2007
    10,709 Posts
    He actually has a physical one, it's pretty cool (wind up, not battery)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #1106
    August 2011
    166 Posts
    The most tactical weapon known to man.

come at me

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

27. Post #1107
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    9,661 Posts
    Working on a high-poly shipping container, for normal baking purposes. I may have to scrap parts of it though, because it doesn't have any sort of inside, and I may want to make an open version, and one that has doors on either side.
    First thing I thought of was the Jurassic Park intro.

28. Post #1108
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,811 Posts
    First thing I thought of was the Jurassic Park intro.
    ... it's just a shipping container. the raptors weren't even in a shipping container

29. Post #1109
    I Actually Use Radeon.
    February 2006
    3,556 Posts

I haven't posted for a while so I thought you guys would like to see my first realflow wetmap experiment. I must say it's pretty sweet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6 (list)

30. Post #1110
    Tophat Enthusiast
    July 2011
    3,697 Posts
    I am trying to practice high poly modeling with my new pc.

I am very new to high poly so this is going to be fun.

These turned out like shit and I really want to redo them, properly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #1111
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,283 Posts
    for high poly you sure do have a lot of jagged edges
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

32. Post #1112
    Tophat Enthusiast
    July 2011
    3,697 Posts
    for high poly you sure do have a lot of jagged edges
    Very new to high poly, some tendency from modeling for games still persist. I will try my best to fix it.

33. Post #1113
    Modelrator
    February 2005
    4,157 Posts
    But why aren't they smoothed at all?

I'd take a look at this http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/aut...nd-techniques/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

34. Post #1114
    January 2012
    13 Posts
    Hi, here is a model i worked on for some weeks. It's not don yet but this is how far i am at the moment.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8Winner Winner x 2 (list)

35. Post #1115
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    430 Posts
    I've started rereading my old Spawn Comics. Got inspired and made this head in Zbrush:

It's pretty plain and simple. Could use a lot of cloth folds and whatnot. Will perhaps update it later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

36. Post #1116
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,326 Posts
    I've started rereading my old Spawn Comics. Got inspired and made this head in Zbrush:

It's pretty plain and simple. Could use a lot of cloth folds and whatnot. Will perhaps update it later.
    I have to say that something this "simple" could have been poly modeled with no need for sculpturing :)

So I hope for a more detailed sculpt ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Norway Show Events

37. Post #1117
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    430 Posts
    I have to say that something this "simple" could have been poly modeled with no need for sculpturing :)
    This would probably have taken me hours to model without references in Max, instead of the 30 minutes it took to sculpt, retopologize and texture in Zbrush.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

38. Post #1118
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,326 Posts
    This would probably have taken me hours to model without references in Max, instead of the 30 minutes it took to sculpt, retopologize and texture in Zbrush.
    Good point, although you'd probably use reference in Max as well ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

39. Post #1119
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,829 Posts
    I got nDo2 and Marmoset this week so I've been messing about with them on my "Realistic Wind Waker Master Sword". I'm pretty pleased with the results, especially the Hilt Detail. The normal is still a bit funky though and I need to experiment more in Marmoset but this is a lot of fun

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

40. Post #1120
    I Actually Use Radeon.
    February 2006
    3,556 Posts
    I got nDo2 and Marmoset this week so I've been messing about with them on my "Realistic Wind Waker Master Sword". I'm pretty pleased with the results, especially the Hilt Detail. The normal is still a bit funky though and I need to experiment more in Marmoset but this is a lot of fun

The blade looks like plaster, it's way too bumpy and doesn't have enough spec and gloss.
    But still a very nice sword you got there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)