1. Post #1161
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,265 Posts
    This is really anecdotal but it's a question that can really be only answered with anecdotes. From everything I've experienced and everyone I've talked to it seems like modeling is much more suited to 3ds max.

Maya's workflow is pretty clunky and it's tougher to navigate. 3ds max has a great system set up for nonlinear modeling. The modifier stack works much better than maya's attributes. In maya, even knowing where things are, it's hard to work efficiently because they feel the need to put everything under menus and submenus whereas in max all of the basic tools are under one modifier.

Really maya needs a UI redesign to be a good modeling tool and they will just not do it. It's impossible to work with for modeling (and nurbs, it's only real advantage, are useless anyways). I'll admit I like a lot of maya's options for rendering better (and without a doubt it's a better animation tool) but it's just so goddamn clunky in general that the only time I bother using it is to render a huge assignment on my school's farm. Of course 3ds has faults to but it seems that the industry consensus is that of the two, 3ds max is better for straight up modeling.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #1162
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,169 Posts
    For some reason I can't find the download for students, can anyone give me the link?
    Try this: http://students.autodesk.com/?nd=download_center

Also, on a completely unrelated note, I made this a while ago:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

3. Post #1163
    Stardust crusader
    March 2009
    2,851 Posts
    That's exactly where I looked, to no avail.
    I guess I'll just continue using 2011.

4. Post #1164
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    This is really anecdotal but it's a question that can really be only answered with anecdotes. From everything I've experienced and everyone I've talked to it seems like modeling is much more suited to 3ds max.

Maya's workflow is pretty clunky and it's tougher to navigate. 3ds max has a great system set up for nonlinear modeling. The modifier stack works much better than maya's attributes. In maya, even knowing where things are, it's hard to work efficiently because they feel the need to put everything under menus and submenus whereas in max all of the basic tools are under one modifier.

Really maya needs a UI redesign to be a good modeling tool and they will just not do it. It's impossible to work with for modeling (and nurbs, it's only real advantage, are useless anyways). I'll admit I like a lot of maya's options for rendering better (and without a doubt it's a better animation tool) but it's just so goddamn clunky in general that the only time I bother using it is to render a huge assignment on my school's farm. Of course 3ds has faults to but it seems that the industry consensus is that of the two, 3ds max is better for straight up modeling.
    thanks a ton this is really the first detailed response ive ever gotten on the subject

5. Post #1165
    October 2010
    10,394 Posts
    blender is obv the best modeling program
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

6. Post #1166
    I Actually Use Radeon.
    February 2006
    3,556 Posts
    blender is obv the best modeling program
    Notepad is much better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 4 (list)

7. Post #1167
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,265 Posts
    notepad modeling is for pros only

v -5.499999 67.898376 -19.930254
    v 5.499999 67.898376 -19.930254
    v 5.499999 67.898384 -44.672050
    v -5.499999 67.898384 -44.672050
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 3 (list)

8. Post #1168
    May 2011
    3,013 Posts
    trying to get into modeling (for probably the 45th, 46th time?), am wondering what program i should be using, maya or 3ds. right now i'm just starting off with simple prop modeling and stuff like that, but i'm hoping to expand to animation as well. rendering isn't a big priority for me. which program would you guys recommend? i'm used to the maya interface and it just feels a lot more natural, but most of my modeler friends use 3ds but can never explain why.
    I've heard Maya is the better of the two, albeit with a less intuitive UI.

But what do I know, I use Blender.

9. Post #1169
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,924 Posts

250 tris, 512 diffuse 256 normals
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #1170
    Modelrator
    February 2005
    4,153 Posts

1500 tris 512 maps
    You could have saved a lot of polygons making only the top (and maybe the bottom) have those "bumps" that the sections make and have the middle bit be flat and all welded together. Might have looked a tiny bit worse but saved you like 50% of the polygons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #1171
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,961 Posts
    I decided to play around with Photoshop's 3D painting and rendering features. Imported a quick crowbar model I made today and went at it. I soon realized that the file's resolution was 8000x8000. Needless to say I used pretty much all 8 gigs of my ram while I was rendering. Re-sized it to 1024x1024 for the sake of loading (which killed pretty much all of the detail.)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 15 (list)

12. Post #1172
    no title
    January 2005
    433 Posts
    Here's what I'm working on now. It's a videogames magazine that opens and stuff poops out.

If you have suggestions for games tell me! :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Show Events Artistic Artistic x 12Winner Winner x 3 (list)

13. Post #1173
    I Actually Use Radeon.
    February 2006
    3,556 Posts
    Needs a light blueish fog.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 5Useful Useful x 1 (list)

14. Post #1174
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,587 Posts
    My mesh is such a fucking mess, I just seem to be pretty shitty at plane modeling.

Actually, making weapons is pretty straight-forward for me, but as soon as I gotta work with something else than primitives, shit hits the fan. Anyone have any tips?

i.e. I'm trying to make armor for Pyro but it looks like total ass
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

15. Post #1175
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    7,471 Posts
    Does anybody have some tutorials that teaches me to use 3ds max? I've found some, but they're too specialized, not really at my level.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

16. Post #1176
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,827 Posts
    Here's what I'm working on now. It's a videogames magazine that opens and stuff poops out.

I'd love to see games like Populous, Black and White or From dust included
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

17. Post #1177
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    9,953 Posts

Piss coloured Deus Ex comic
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #1178
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    429 Posts
    Made a boring wallpaper...

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #1179
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    4,466 Posts
    Made a boring wallpaper...

The green reflection in the top of the glass looks so weird.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

20. Post #1180
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    429 Posts
    The green reflection in the top of the glass looks so weird.
    Although it's weird, it's a natural way for thick glass to refract light. The same goes for the bottom. This effect could be diminished simply by altering the thickness of the objects. :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

21. Post #1181
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,352 Posts
    Hayate, Some sort of Skyrim thing could be pretty awesome... maybe just a little town, the giant mountain, and a cute dragon circling it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #1182
    May 2011
    3,013 Posts
    Black Mesa facility and/or the Citadel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #1183
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,924 Posts
    redoing one of my first models - it's pretty fun

->

about 2.5 hours of work
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 10 (list)

24. Post #1184
    I Actually Use Radeon.
    February 2006
    3,556 Posts

I made a video.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Winner Winner x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #1185
    fuck
    February 2011
    443 Posts
    That's some nice cranberry juice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #1186
    I Actually Use Radeon.
    February 2006
    3,556 Posts
    That's some nice cranberry juice
    Well, for over a 100 hours of rendertime it better be. :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #1187
    September 2011
    302 Posts

I made a video.
    Looks good even though the camerawork was quite distracting. Nice test nonetheless.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #1188
    ?
    January 2006
    5,166 Posts
    The Tactical Toaster Turret.
    Modern warfare is out, kitchen warfare is in.

Yes, it shoots flaming plates of toast   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 9Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #1189
    October 2010
    476 Posts
    Made some Portal 2-esque panel thing.

I've been trying to model for a long time and this is the only half-decent thing I've made.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7 (list)

30. Post #1190
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    429 Posts
    [HD]I made a video.
    Old Industrial Hall? (Y'no wadda'm talkin' bout.)

Made some Portal 2-esque panel thing.

I've been trying to model for a long time and this is the only half-decent thing I've made.
    It looks good. Although with those colors, I first thought of Steampunk, not Portal. I guess you need the pristine white look to get anywhere near Portal, even though the models themselves are good.

Oh, and I want to see it rigged. I'm sure you'll find a Pixar Lamp-tutorial with the same basic principles as with those panel arms. ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #1191
    October 2010
    476 Posts
    -nevermind i am dumb-

Edited:

Movement on Y/Z still works fine though.

32. Post #1192
    I Actually Use Radeon.
    February 2006
    3,556 Posts
    Old Industrial Hall? (Y'no wadda'm talkin' bout.)
    Yes, it's the shit!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #1193
    June 2007
    148 Posts
    A Killing Floor comic where the pages are just DOSH.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #1194
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    7,471 Posts
    Does anybody have some tutorials that teaches me to use 3ds max? I've found some, but they're too specialized, not really at my level.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #1195
    Yandere Princess
    April 2010
    22,231 Posts
    I've followed quite a few of the tutorials on this site. They're pretty simple and easy to understand if you're new to 3ds.

36. Post #1196
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    429 Posts
    Yes, it's the shit!
    Yup! I've been meaning to try and capture a few of those industrial-ish interior environments myself. But I've been to lazy to actually go looking for such. :P

37. Post #1197
    I Actually Use Radeon.
    February 2006
    3,556 Posts
    Yup! I've been meaning to try and capture a few of those industrial-ish interior environments myself. But I've been to lazy to actually go looking for such. :P
    Oh, I think you should. I'm sure they would be awesome.

Edited:

I'm super productive, I made another video!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 9Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

38. Post #1198
    Propane Nightmares
    May 2007
    8,808 Posts
    Very awesome work animating the tracks, they're very realistic!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #1199
    Stardust crusader
    March 2009
    2,851 Posts
    hnng
    That's awesome.

40. Post #1200
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    4,229 Posts

I made a video.
    Make the fluid more transparent to have it blend in with the wet map.

Edited:
    Is there any way to reduce the fluids contact angle? If it is, you should do that.