1. Post #1361
    May 2011
    2,870 Posts
    Splines, snap to vert and the cut polygon tool? Would probably need to fix the ugly geometry though before attempting to subdivide.
    I should mention I'm using Blender, guess I'll have to look around for it. Ugly geometry?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #1362
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    9,994 Posts
    I should mention I'm using Blender, guess I'll have to look around for it. Ugly geometry?
    Well when you use the cut polygon tool it'll obviously slice into your mesh, so if it's just a plane it'll end up butchering whatever topology you had there, which would need to be fixed. :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #1363
    May 2011
    2,870 Posts
    Well when you use the cut polygon tool it'll obviously slice into your mesh, so if it's just a plane it'll end up butchering whatever topology you had there, which would need to be fixed. :P
    Oooh I get it now. I read that as if you were pointing out bad geometry on the model as it is now.

4. Post #1364
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    9,994 Posts
    Oooh I get it now. I read that as if you were pointing out bad geometry on the model as it is now.
    On the contrary, it looks lovely. As does the other model. :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #1365
    May 2011
    2,870 Posts
    On the contrary, it looks lovely. As does the other model. :P
    Thank you sir!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #1366
    Tophat Enthusiast
    July 2011
    3,689 Posts
    Nah brah, it's all about violins.

Might I ask though, how'd you manage to carve out the S shapes in the body?
    Splines as said above and when we both finish we should make beautiful music together.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #1367
    May 2011
    2,870 Posts
    Splines as said above and when we both finish we should make beautiful music together.
    To be honest, I made that solely because of the cello you posted. But I'll finish it, for you.

8. Post #1368
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,823 Posts
    I'm making a somewhat stylised Go Kart

The chassis thing (whatever the fuck it is) looks very plain. Perhaps make some sort of wooden frame with planks laid across? Imo, that would look pretty neat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #1369
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    7,204 Posts
    A few crappy .gifs of the same thing that took too long to make.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

10. Post #1370
    August 2009
    960 Posts
    Discovered Scupltris, decided I liked it. Made this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #1371
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    6,915 Posts
    Sorry for the delay;

request met!

Click for 1920x1080

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

12. Post #1372
    Tophat Enthusiast
    July 2011
    3,689 Posts
    Sorry for the delay;

request met!

Click for 1920x1080

Using this now; works so well with my rainmeter.
    Also, I am pretty happy with this.

I had to render the strings on a different layer because the AO was fucking up. Time to make an actual render!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

13. Post #1373
    May 2011
    2,870 Posts
    Whoa, Blender revamped it's slice polygons tool.

14. Post #1374
    November 2009
    8,737 Posts
    Whoa, Blender revamped it's slice polygons tool.
    It also has Ngon support now... I may get back into Blender. I like my tetrahedronic rhombi.

15. Post #1375
    October 2010
    10,376 Posts
    Anyone know of a way to get the new Blender's UI to change back to or be similar to the old one? That's the only reason I'm not switching :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Anonymous Proxy Show Events

16. Post #1376
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    6,915 Posts
    Anyone know of a way to get the new Blender's UI to change back to or be similar to the old one? That's the only reason I'm not switching :/

New UI is much, much better. Will take a bit of getting used to but you'll enjoy it once you do
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

17. Post #1377
    May 2011
    2,870 Posts
    Don't switch back, it's awful. That said, open Blender 2.49, save the default file. Open it with Blender 2.6, and in the file menu click "Save as Default".

Edited:

It also has Ngon support now... I may get back into Blender. I like my tetrahedronic rhombi.
    Sculpting was vastly improved with 2.5/2.6 as well.

18. Post #1378

February 2012
    2 Posts

Making an animation with guy for my final, decided to do a test render of one part. For some reason motion blur doesn't like his eyelids.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #1379
    May 2011
    2,870 Posts

Working on a city. Very, very early WIP. Everything except the ground is a particle effect, so I can easily adjust it, add more variation, change frequency of items, etc. etc..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

20. Post #1380
    Stolt Svensk
    June 2008
    8,990 Posts
    dem roads
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

21. Post #1381
    May 2011
    2,870 Posts
    dem roads

Yeah I know need to fix 'em up. And add street signs, lights, etc.

Edited:

I'm not actually sure if I like using ngons. I feel as though being forced to use only tris and quads helped me learn better topology overall. Focusing mostly on low-poly stuff for games I never wanted ngons anyways.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

22. Post #1382
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,823 Posts
    I'm considering migrating to Blender or a similar free program because I'm concerned when I'm no longer a student I won't be able to use Maya without paying. Do you guys think that's a bad idea?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #1383
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    3,846 Posts
    Its a motherflippin highwheeler

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

24. Post #1384
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    9,994 Posts
    Its a motherflippin highwheeler

Penny farthing!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #1385
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,808 Posts
    Is there a more effective way of making curved cylinders than using a spline and Path Deform?

Edit:

In Max.

26. Post #1386
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    9,994 Posts
    Is there a more effective way of making curved cylinders than using a spline and Path Deform?

Edit:

In Max.
    Bend modifier?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #1387
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,823 Posts
    Torus primitive for quick, basic curves? Not certain, my Max must have them.

28. Post #1388
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    9,994 Posts
    Torus primitive for quick, basic curves? Not certain, my Max must have them.
    Well depends, I find the bend modifier much more tweakable. It's really nice for making railings especially, because you can quickly instance them and add connecting poles and stuff.

29. Post #1389
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,808 Posts
    Thanks for the suggestions, but I forgot that I can render my splines

30. Post #1390
    May 2011
    2,870 Posts
    I'm considering migrating to Blender or a similar free program because I'm concerned when I'm no longer a student I won't be able to use Maya without paying. Do you guys think that's a bad idea?
    No, it's a good idea. If you try doing anything commercial with your models, Autodesk will sue you for a lot of money. I'd suggest Blender because I think most would agree it's the best free program, and it has a built in Maya-esque control scheme.

Edited:

Go to user preferences -> input and change Control scheme from Blender to Maya. If you want to do more realistic renders, change Blender render at the top to Cycles render. If you're planning on exporting the models, stick with Blender render. When you use Cycles, turn the samples up for less-grainy images. I usually use 10 for a quick preview, 100 for a WIP image, or 1000 for a final render.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #1391
    Stolt Svensk
    June 2008
    8,990 Posts
    Question might be a bit dumb, and I guess the answer is really simple.

Does anyone know how to make the grip to stock transition get a form like on a real rifle? What I'm doing now is just connection two vertex' and moving the edge to get a form. Doesn't work brilliantly though.

Here's a pic

I'm rubbish at this stuff
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

32. Post #1392
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,641 Posts

I am having waaaaaaay too much fun working on this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #1393
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,808 Posts

I am having waaaaaaay too much fun working on this
    Is that an axe head?

34. Post #1394
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,641 Posts
    yes it is
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #1395
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    6,915 Posts
    No, it's a good idea. If you try doing anything commercial with your models, Autodesk will sue you for a lot of money. I'd suggest Blender because I think most would agree it's the best free program, and it has a built in Maya-esque control scheme.

Edited:

Go to user preferences -> input and change Control scheme from Blender to Maya. If you want to do realistic renders, change Blender render at the top to Cycles render. If you're planning on exporting the models, stick with Blender render. When you use Cycles, turn the samples up for less-grainy images. I usually use 10 for a quick preview, 100 for a WIP image, or 1000 for a final render.

You can get perfectly good renders without using Cycles
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

36. Post #1396
    May 2011
    2,870 Posts
    You can get perfectly good renders without using Cycles
    True, I meant more realistic. But Cycles provides a more realistic result with less effort, so I don't see the point in using the old rendering system anyways. The only cost is longer render times.

37. Post #1397
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,823 Posts

Edited:

Go to user preferences -> input and change Control scheme from Blender to Maya. If you want to do more realistic renders, change Blender render at the top to Cycles render. If you're planning on exporting the models, stick with Blender render. When you use Cycles, turn the samples up for less-grainy images. I usually use 10 for a quick preview, 100 for a WIP image, or 1000 for a final render.
    Okay, I'm gonna do it! That all sounds incredibly helpful, thanks a bunch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #1398
    May 2011
    2,870 Posts
    Okay, I'm gonna do it! That all sounds incredibly helpful, thanks a bunch.
    After you learn the absolute basics, take a look at the Blender Guru and Blender Cookie stuff. Andrew Price (Blender Guru) is pretty great and makes some really comprehensive tutorials. He also goes into doing stuff with the compositor, which a lot of people leave out in their tutorials.

http://www.blender.org/education-help/tutorials/
    http://www.blenderguru.com/
    http://cgcookie.com/blender/

39. Post #1399
    October 2010
    10,376 Posts
    New UI is much, much better. Will take a bit of getting used to but you'll enjoy it once you do
    Can you kinda give me a list of improvements from Blender 2.49? I've been using that forever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Anonymous Proxy Show Events

40. Post #1400
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,823 Posts
    After you learn the absolute basics, take a look at the Blender Guru and Blender Cookie stuff. Andrew Price (Blender Guru) is pretty great and makes some really comprehensive tutorials. He also goes into doing stuff with the compositor, which a lot of people leave out in their tutorials.

http://www.blender.org/education-help/tutorials/
    http://www.blenderguru.com/
    http://cgcookie.com/blender/
    All bookmarked, thanks again!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)