1. Post #4161
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,201 Posts
    The issues with Minecraft aren't due to the language it's written in, they're down to how certain things in the engine work.

It tries to render entire chunks, even if they aren't visible. It calculates AI for mobs you can never see, etc. And chunk loading is pretty slow too. You could re-write Minecraft in C or such and it'd be just as slow unless you fixed those issues, and if you fixed them it'd speed up the Java version as well anyway.

Edit: And people are mixing up languages and runtimes. Android uses Java, but it doesn't use the Java VM. Any speed increases from porting it to C# come from the different runtimes, not the language.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

2. Post #4162
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    3,877 Posts
    The issues with Minecraft aren't due to the language it's written in, they're down to how certain things in the engine work.

It tries to render entire chunks, even if they aren't visible. It calculates AI for mobs you can never see, etc. And chunk loading is pretty slow too. You could re-write Minecraft in C or such and it'd be just as slow unless you fixed those issues, and if you fixed them it'd speed up the Java version as well anyway.

Edit: And people are mixing up languages and runtimes. Android uses Java, but it doesn't use the Java VM. Any speed increases from porting it to C# come from the different runtimes, not the language.
    The bottom line is that the game needs a rewrite but Jeb and Notch are incapable of that judging from their track records. So they need new people. They're not about to hire new java coders that are gonna outshine them so go ahead and bring on new employees and rewrite it in a better language. A good java coder can fix those issues but there are some things that java simply can't do or can't do well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

3. Post #4163
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    2,702 Posts
    1. If it's stupid then why did Mojang do it for the 360? They coded it to work with the 360 platform, just the same way they should code it to work with the PC platform.
    2. There are a lot of people that already know C++ too. How do you know there wouldn't be better, or even more modders if they could use C++?
    3. Minecraft has NEVER been well optimized and it's probably never going to be. Search the patch notes for "optimize". You won't find anything. Half the idea is to hire new employees that know how to code.
    4. So that they could make a version of Minecraft that doesn't appear to be coded by a freshman who just took his first java class? They can afford the employees.
    lol ok

1. 4J studios coded minecraft for the xbox, they were not hired by Mojang but by Microsoft.
    2. Yes people know C++, but what about the majority of people that do not know it would have to learn it, although it would benefit them to learn it. They will probably just get mad and rage at notch even worse than they already do.
    3. They optimized lighting, it is a lot faster now since its just texture based. I am sure lots of other stuff is more optimized now than it was 8 months ago.
    4. It doesn't appear to be coded by a freshman, its a really good game. Part of the problem is just how things are done, they could save a lot of time by just optimizing there code. No reason to completely re-write the games code in a different language.

Minecraft runs fine on my computer, it might not on yours and that sucks, but they shouldn't have to re-write a entire games code. If it was notch coding it in C++ hell it could be as badly optimized as it is currently. It runs fine on a console since they coded it to work perfectly on the exact specs of the xbox, you cant tailor a game for pc on one set of specs when over a million people with different combinations of hardware are playing your game.

Edited:

The bottom line is that the game needs a rewrite but Jeb and Notch are incapable of that judging from their track records. So they need new people. They're not about to hire new java coders that are gonna outshine them so go ahead and bring on new employees and rewrite it in a better language. A good java coder can fix those issues but there are some things that java simply can't do or can't do well.
    Java can do games well, Runescape is a great example.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #4164
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    3,877 Posts
    lol ok

1. 4J studios coded minecraft for the xbox, they were not hired by Mojang but by Microsoft.
    2. Yes people know C++, but what about the majority of people that do not know it would have to learn it, although it would benefit them to learn it. They will probably just get mad and rage at notch even worse than they already do.
    3. They optimized lighting, it is a lot faster now since its just texture based. I am sure lots of other stuff is more optimized now than it was 8 months ago.
    4. It doesn't appear to be coded by a freshman, its a really good game. Part of the problem is just how things are done, they could save a lot of time by just optimizing there code. No reason to completely re-write the games code in a different language.

Minecraft runs fine on my computer, it might not on yours and that sucks, but they shouldn't have to re-write a entire games code. If it was notch coding it in C++ hell it could be as badly optimized as it is currently. It runs fine on a console since they coded it to work perfectly on the exact specs of the xbox, you cant tailor a game for pc on one set of specs when over a million people with different combinations of hardware are playing your game.

Edited:

Java can do games well, Runescape is a great example.
    1. I know, but they did it as an agent of Mojang since they own the IP.
    2. Maybe
    3. Optimizing one feature in like 2 years hardly counts.
    4. Again, based on their track record I am confident they will never optimize it. And yeah it really does look like a freshman wrote it. See: Examples

This is the kind of quality Notch codes. It's literally on par with a highschooler. (These are as of 1.8, some may be fixed or they could all still be in effect but either way it doesn't change the fact that he managed to fuck it up so badly)
    * Chest state (open or closed) is sent twenty times per second per chest, even if the state hasn't changed. This equates to at least 10kB/s network traffic on a medium-sized server plus the processing the client does
    * Same deal with the user list. Each user list packet contains the ping time for one user, and these are sent out twenty times per second per user.
    * Experience orbs were broken in 1.8pre1 due to notch's horrible, backwards use of OpenGL. It was already known that dropped items cause serious framerate drops, and the inclusion of orbs made this worse. Multiplayer was unplayable. "So what?", you say, "this is a pre-release". This bug was supposedly fixed by jeb, but instead has resulted in experience orb duping
    * The new user list renders improperly with Max Players set above 60, and completely fails to render when Max Players is set above 127.
    * The new food system has bugs too - if food saturation is above zero, you can happily not eat without your food decreasing. Only if you take damage will your food start to decrease.
    * New player effects can easily be manipulated to give users a speedhack. The server-side stuff that used to detect this cheating has been completely removed.
    * The new server list incorrectly assumes a server is up if it has been refreshed within 5s
    Again, Notch wouldn't be doing the rewrite. You can optimize for a broad range of hardware and certain standards.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

5. Post #4165

Java wasn't meant for games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #4166
    January 2010
    3,977 Posts
    Neither were pixels.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12 (list)

7. Post #4167
    [B][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacos"]Tacos![/URL][/B]
    April 2008
    5,450 Posts
    Neither were pixels.
    Technically that's as true as it is false.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

8. Post #4168
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    Neither was any other language, really.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

9. Post #4169
    January 2010
    3,977 Posts
    Technically that's as true as it is false.
    what
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #4170
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,568 Posts
    It's highly illogical that worthless junk is rendered even if you can't see it.

Anyway, I still haven't managed to fix Minecraft freezing after 15 minutes. Here's my specs from the top of my head, I'm not at my computer right now:

4 GB Ram, I think DRR2 or 3.
    2.5 GHZ Intel Dual Core processor.
    Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT.

Someone on the Minecraft forum said these specs should be good enough to run Minecraft smoothly, but it doesn't. I tried Optifine, but that'll just make it crash. I heard it's not quite easy on the HDD though, my disk is fragmented or 50% or so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

11. Post #4171
    Ask me about my .gif fetish
    February 2008
    3,594 Posts
    So basically Foogooman, you want Mojang to develop two games, both called Minecraft?
    It's what you'd end up with.
    I'm not sure how you expect them to port the game over to C++, optimise it and keep up with development of the Java version. The C++ version would always be a few versions behind.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

12. Post #4172
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,201 Posts
    So they should use something like GameMaker then? Since that's made for games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 23Zing Zing x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #4173
    OBLIVIOUS
    September 2011
    559 Posts
    Using multicraft to set up a server and having a few problems with some plugins.
    One is the deathban plugin which works fine but we cannot change anything in its config file because when we do and restart the server everything in that file resets to default.
    Second is the sneak plugin which doesn't seem to be working at all although we think it is because we havent added the permissions for the plugin which we don't know how to do.

Any help?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

14. Post #4174
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    4,648 Posts
    We should start a petition to re-write Minecraft in C++

Notch could easily afford to bring on a couple C++ programmers. Jeb continues developing the Java version for Macs and coordinates with the C++ team on the PC version.

Edited:

Hell the xbox 360 team already coded the entire game in C++, it's just an older version. Now just bring on a new guy to bring it up to date for PCs.
    Because c++ magically fixes everything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Zing Zing x 1Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #4175
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    1,373 Posts
    c++ is made by fairy pixies from uranus that will save minecraft from evil notch
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 14Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #4176
    February 2008
    3,594 Posts
    I didn't expect to learn so much about C++ and software development in this thread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

17. Post #4177
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    17,740 Posts
    1. If it's stupid then why did Mojang do it for the 360? They coded it to work with the 360 platform, just the same way they should code it to work with the PC platform.
    um
    first of all it wasnt mojang and then the xbox uses xna natively so yea
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Late Late x 2 (list)

18. Post #4178
    how can you love some-one if you can't eat a brick
    July 2011
    1,320 Posts
    xna is just a framework for C#, as mentioned above
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #4179
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    6,966 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Funny Funny x 8Late Late x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)

20. Post #4180
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    3,877 Posts
    So basically Foogooman, you want Mojang to develop two games, both called Minecraft?
    It's what you'd end up with.
    I'm not sure how you expect them to port the game over to C++, optimise it and keep up with development of the Java version. The C++ version would always be a few versions behind.
    It's like no one is even reading my posts. The idea is to hire a couple new C++ employees to coordinate with Jeb. Both versions would always be up to date.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

21. Post #4181
    December 2008
    636 Posts
    Dudes you've got to check out this new and awesome survival hardcore server. -noone cares-

(User was banned for this post ("Spam" - Gran PC))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

22. Post #4182
    October 2008
    1,442 Posts
    It's like no one is even reading my posts. The idea is to hire a couple new C++ employees to coordinate with Jeb. Both versions would always be up to date.
    It's like you're not reading noone's posts.
    There's no point in starting a completely new game alongside java version just because "performance gain".

Minecraft is still being worked upon so don't expect it working top notch(non intended).

Mojang will surely optimize the game more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

23. Post #4183
    Facepunch's Resident Game Center CX Expert
    November 2010
    10,893 Posts
    Dudes you've got to check out this new and awesome survival hardcore server. -yeah no-
    No
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

24. Post #4184
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    3,877 Posts
    It's like you're not reading noone's posts.
    There's no point in starting a completely new game alongside java version just because "performance gain".

Minecraft is still being worked upon so don't expect it working top notch(non intended).

Mojang will surely optimize the game more.
    They surely won't. Not reading my posts, track record, etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #4185
    February 2008
    3,594 Posts
    "I know guys, let's spend a load of money hiring some people to make a new version of the game in C++!"

"So we'll have a company full of Java programmers and no Java software?"

"Well we can simply maintain both codebases side by side for the rest of our lives. We can release any new stuff on whichever version is ahead, then release the other when it catches up."

"People won't like that"

"Well then we could just delay any release for an extra week or so, while we port everything over"

"But wait, if we hire these guys and they start porting the current version, by the time they finish we'll already be several versions ahead on the Java version"

"Aha! Not if we make sure they're always working towards the latest version. We can constantly change their goal so that they never know what they're working on from one day to the next! If they get depression from working on an unmanageable project, we can just fire them and get new guys!"

"But why would we do this?"

"Because Java is a bit crap. C++ is exactly the same as Java but not crap."

"Can you shut the door on your way out."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

26. Post #4186
    August 2009
    4,246 Posts
    Dudes you've got to check out this new and awesome survival hardcore server. -nope-
    TOTALLY NOT YOUR SERVER
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

27. Post #4187
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    2,269 Posts

NOPENOPENOPE
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #4188
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    2,702 Posts
    It's highly illogical that worthless junk is rendered even if you can't see it.

Anyway, I still haven't managed to fix Minecraft freezing after 15 minutes. Here's my specs from the top of my head, I'm not at my computer right now:

4 GB Ram, I think DRR2 or 3.
    2.5 GHZ Intel Dual Core processor.
    Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT.

Someone on the Minecraft forum said these specs should be good enough to run Minecraft smoothly, but it doesn't. I tried Optifine, but that'll just make it crash. I heard it's not quite easy on the HDD though, my disk is fragmented or 50% or so.
    Are you using a 32 bit or a 64 bit OS?

29. Post #4189
    September 2010
    6,630 Posts

NOPENOPENOPE
    What texturepack is that? Craftee?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #4190
    March 2011
    2,250 Posts

NOPENOPENOPE
    Brightened up the image, for all those wondering, It's an Enderman
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

31. Post #4191
    September 2010
    6,630 Posts
    "Asswarble Shitstain" is a really good seed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 4Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #4192
    February 2009
    1,745 Posts
    "Asswarble Shitstain" is a really good seed.
    So is "ToS".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #4193
    100% Homemade
    September 2007
    8,347 Posts
    C++ isn't a magical language that make a game run better. There is literally no point to have two versions of the game.

Besides, there'll be a bunch of mods and stuff exclusively for Java Minecraft and a bunch of mods exclusively for C++ Minecraft, since you can and can't do some things with one or the other.

You'd just divide up the community into "other programming language sux lol"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

34. Post #4194
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    1,307 Posts
    Was exploring the 'larger biomes' world type on snapshot 12w19a, found just about the best hollowed out mountain I've ever seen. Pic with coords and seed provided to those that want it (its larger and darker inside than these pics make it seem)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

35. Post #4195
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    2,702 Posts
    It honestly isn't a bad song, just that his voice is high pitched cause he is like what 10? Also that dancing shit he did, that was just silly.

36. Post #4196
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    3,877 Posts
    "I know guys, let's spend a load of money hiring some people to make a new version of the game in C++!"

"So we'll have a company full of Java programmers and no Java software?"

"Well we can simply maintain both codebases side by side for the rest of our lives. We can release any new stuff on whichever version is ahead, then release the other when it catches up."

"People won't like that"

"Well then we could just delay any release for an extra week or so, while we port everything over"

"But wait, if we hire these guys and they start porting the current version, by the time they finish we'll already be several versions ahead on the Java version"

"Aha! Not if we make sure they're always working towards the latest version. We can constantly change their goal so that they never know what they're working on from one day to the next! If they get depression from working on an unmanageable project, we can just fire them and get new guys!"

"But why would we do this?"

"Because Java is a bit crap. C++ is exactly the same as Java but not crap."

"Can you shut the door on your way out."
    You're inventing problems that needn't be the case. Companies make PC, Mac, and Linux versions for their games all the time. They make it happen, Mojang could do the same.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Dumb Dumb x 16 (list)

37. Post #4197
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    2,596 Posts
    You're inventing problems that needn't be the case. Companies make PC, Mac, and Linux versions for their games all the time. They make it happen, Mojang could do the same.
    But is it really necessary, to inconvenience coders, spend time and effort, and delay progress for some extra performance?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #4198
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    3,877 Posts
    But is it really necessary, to inconvenience coders, spend time and effort, and delay progress for some extra performance?
    It's not an inconvenience at all. Notch would be giving one or two people a job, they would be happy just to be working at Mojang I'm certain. It's not a financial inconvenience either because Notch has some 60 million if I recall correctly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

39. Post #4199
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    7,447 Posts
    Especially since once they finished what-ever features they feel will "complete" the game they can just open up the hood and optimize the FUCK out of it?

40. Post #4200
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,778 Posts
    It's not an inconvenience at all. Notch would be giving one or two people a job, they would be happy just to be working at Mojang I'm certain. It's not a financial inconvenience either because Notch has some 60 million if I recall correctly.
    Holy shit, what's the point of even petitioning. Notch is not going to hire new coders.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)