1. Post #6961
    May 2010
    3,912 Posts
    gold is the worst material, you wouldn't make a pickaxe out of gold in real life, would you?
    If you get unbreaking on gold it's actually decent. Gold mines faster than diamond by default.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #6962
    February 2009
    1,718 Posts
    Gold is also more "enchantable" than any of the other materials. But diamond is still better for enchanting in my opinion, since you'll either get a longer lasting diamond pickaxe, a faster diamond pickaxe, or a better diamond pickaxe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #6963
    July 2009
    1,015 Posts
    I like to make myself a gold crown and pretend I'm important

Edited:

Also what would be the easiest and most effective way to set up a server for just my friend and I? I', not renting one just for us two, do you have to go through the port forwarding and all that or can you just use Hamachi? Or Bukkit?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #6964
    The Silent Rater
    November 2009
    3,266 Posts
    Tuungle and Hamachi both work for hosting as far as I can tell. My friends and I have tried it before.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #6965
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,808 Posts
    Anyone else's skin not updating in 1.3?

Edited:

Nevermind.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #6966
    May 2010
    3,912 Posts
    Made a 1.3 world, found a lovely taiga biome (Love those biomes to death). Anyone else notice that on large biomes veins seem bigger? I understand sometimes two veins are right next to eachother and seem connected, but it's become quite common.

It feels really cozy in there. I usually build fairly fancy stuff, but it just feels great and simple.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

7. Post #6967
    ===
    This was a waste of $1
    December 2011
    1,506 Posts
    I like to make myself a gold crown and pretend I'm important

Edited:

Also what would be the easiest and most effective way to set up a server for just my friend and I? I', not renting one just for us two, do you have to go through the port forwarding and all that or can you just use Hamachi? Or Bukkit?
    Bukkit is basically the Minecraft server software with the capability of adding plugins, it won't help you with setting up a port and hosting your server.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #6968
    April 2012
    64 Posts
    These mountain biomes are amazing, at least without that damn lighting bug.
    Also, fuck endermen.
    Seriously. I accidentally looked at an enderman's leg or something, and he was SO FUCKING MAD. I ran as fast as I could and hid in my tiny house and he just stood outside at my window, screaming and screaming and screaming and
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

9. Post #6969
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    1,924 Posts
    I fucking love the new LAN option. it came just in time for my cousin to spend a week at my place. it's great!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

10. Post #6970

June 2012
    712 Posts
    Every server I try and join I get
    internal exception java.net.socketexception connection reset
    I was fine yesterday when I first updated. But now I can't connect. I've deleted the folder and force updated. No luck...

11. Post #6971
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    17,986 Posts
    I'd love a mod that basically made you create enchantments as scrolls. You could just go to the Table, click one of those three tabs as usual, and you'd get a scroll with random enchantments like usual.

The thing is you would be able to craft a tool and the scroll with said enchantment, to make it an enchanted tool.

I think that it wouldn't be too unbalanced, yet a lot less frustrating.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

12. Post #6972
    August 2010
    855 Posts
    I'd love a mod that basically made you create enchantments as scrolls. You could just go to the Table, click one of those three tabs as usual, and you'd get a scroll with random enchantments like usual.

The thing is you would be able to craft a tool and the scroll with said enchantment, to make it an enchanted tool.

I think that it wouldn't be too unbalanced, yet a lot less frustrating.
    I use EnchantingPlus, which gives you non-hieroglif text for enchants, you define which level of the enchant you want, you can repair enchanted items, you can remove an enchant from any enchanted items + it gives you back the cost of the enchant, and you can transfer enchants to another items.
    I highly recommed it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Hungary Show Events

13. Post #6973
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    17,986 Posts
    Thank you very much
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

14. Post #6974
    February 2009
    1,718 Posts
    Seriously. I accidentally looked at an enderman's leg or something, and he was SO FUCKING MAD. I ran as fast as I could and hid in my tiny house and he just stood outside at my window, screaming and screaming and screaming and
    Here's a trick I learned: Since endermen can't fit into holes two high, just hide under a tree or a distance from the front door of your house. They usually don't teleport if they can't reach you too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #6975
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    15,431 Posts
    Hey uh. I have some questions about the xbox version...

1. How much is it? I'm guessing like $10. I hope. There isn't DLC, is there?

2. Do I need Gold to play with others or will Silver suffice?

3. Can I save worlds or have multiple worlds? Will they carry over after updates?

4. How close is this version to the current PC version? Can I make pistons and/or...whatever the newest technology is? Does the endgame world exist?

5. Worth it?

My PC broke so this is my only option. :<

Edited:

oh. and uh...villages/fortresses or whatever. those exist?

16. Post #6976
    Diamond Member
    January 2009
    8,096 Posts

3. Can I save worlds or have multiple worlds? Will they carry over after updates?

4. How close is this version to the current PC version? Can I make pistons and/or...whatever the newest technology is? Does the endgame world exist?

5. Worth it?

Edited:

1. $20. Minecraft on the PC isnt even $10

2. Obviously you have to have gold, like every single other game.

3. Yes you can have worlds, no they dont delete after ever single update that would be ridiculous.

4. They just added the update with pistons and shears, that update came out about a year ago IIRC. No endgame thats fairly new.

5. Yes. If you have friends.

Edited:

Yes villages, no villagers though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

17. Post #6977
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    15,431 Posts
    1. $20. Minecraft on the PC isnt even $10

2. Obviously you have to have gold, like every single other game.

3. Yes you can have worlds, no they dont delete after ever single update that would be ridiculous.

4. They just added the update with pistons and shears, that update came out about a year ago IIRC. No endgame thats fairly new.

5. Yes. If you have friends.

Edited:

Yes villages, no villagers though.
    Good point.

Dragon's Dogma lets you have the full experience with only silver. :(

Someone on GameFAQs was angry they'd have to start a new world. Not sure why.

Hell, that's the update I was at when my computer broke. Works for me.

:(

18. Post #6978

5. Worth it?

Edited:

There is DLC, skinpacks, although only one at the moment. There's the free "Summer of Arcade" pack, and trial versions of the paid packs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

19. Post #6979
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    15,431 Posts
    i just had a thought

the pc version continues to generate the world as you explore it. does the xbox version do that, or are you confined to your starting area? (more or less)

20. Post #6980
    January 2009
    3,861 Posts
    i just had a thought

the pc version continues to generate the world as you explore it. does the xbox version do that, or are you confined to your starting area? (more or less)
    xbox version has finite worlds I believe

21. Post #6981
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,797 Posts
    There's a limited area for the Xbox's rather pathetic hard drive, I think it's 1000x100 blocks or so. About the maximum size of a Map, if I recall.

22. Post #6982
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    15,431 Posts
    Oh. 1000x100 isn't too bad.

I wonder if the seed system works the same way it does on PC...if so, Gilgamesh it is. I loved that seed.

Edited:

wait

is it 1000x100x64? I can do that.

23. Post #6983
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    17,986 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #6984
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,808 Posts
    When did Minecraft become so pretty:

Taken on ZombieWaffes server.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #6985
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,797 Posts
    Oh. 1000x100 isn't too bad.

I wonder if the seed system works the same way it does on PC...if so, Gilgamesh it is. I loved that seed.

Edited:

wait

is it 1000x100x64? I can do that.
    I'm pretty sure that the vertical space is the same, although it's not in the Anvil format, so the height level is capped at Y: 128. Everything else is the same though.
    And yes, I tested an old seed from 1.5_01, and as far as I could tell, it was exactly the same, so get your nostalgia on.

26. Post #6986
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    4,627 Posts

Might wanna steady up that house, it's leaning something aweful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

27. Post #6987
    May 2011
    994 Posts

The little things about 1.3 I really like. Like how you can see someone else breaking a block in SMP, or how the stars are more purty.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

28. Post #6988
    October 2011
    636 Posts
    Just started playing Minecraft on xbox. Gotta admit I thought this game was stupid, but it's actually very fun. Working on building a sky garden.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

29. Post #6989
    : |
    February 2009
    3,611 Posts
    Yo I posted this in the xbox thread but this one moves faster:

I have a redstone question. I want to make a pair of iron doors close at the switch of a single lever. I have a redstone repeater but I don't know what it does. The doors are right next to each other, also
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Portugal Show Events

30. Post #6990
    screamin 4 da gold
    January 2010
    6,757 Posts
    I don't understand the appeal of Minecraft on Xbox, unless your computer can't run it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #6991
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,797 Posts
    The doors back then were screwed up because Notch decided to skimp on properly coding double doors, so the Redstone system doesn't work simply. I'd check out the wiki.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

32. Post #6992
    October 2011
    636 Posts
    I don't understand the appeal of Minecraft on Xbox, unless your computer can't run it.
    It doesn't have all the features like the PC, but the best part is the split screen. I play with my friends and family all the time on a single TV and xbox.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #6993
    : |
    February 2009
    3,611 Posts
    The doors back then were screwed up because Notch decided to skimp on properly coding double doors, so the Redstone system doesn't work simply. I'd check out the wiki.
    I googled "Two Doors One Lever" instead, that came up with something helpful, so thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Portugal Show Events Funny Funny x 13 (list)

34. Post #6994
    It's one of those games that everyone has, and the reworked multiplayer is better than having to find a server and then having to find somewhere nobody's touched and then getting your shit griefed when you're offline.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

35. Post #6995

September 2011
    5,187 Posts
    MCPatcher took a dump on my modded *.JAR, so 1.3 it is.

I'm pinging even in SSP.

36. Post #6996
    May 2010
    3,912 Posts
    Interesting texture pack.

37. Post #6997

September 2011
    5,187 Posts

38. Post #6998
    May 2010
    3,912 Posts
    I might use it if it wasn't for the cobble still being the new cobble. That's half the reason I'd use it at all.

39. Post #6999
    screamin 4 da gold
    January 2010
    6,757 Posts
    I built an entire fortress in creative, then switched to survival.

Long story short, I had no idea silverfish blocks were available in creative.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15 (list)

40. Post #7000
    I can buy a title to replace to the one someone bought me
    December 2007
    4,065 Posts
    I might use it if it wasn't for the cobble still being the new cobble. That's half the reason I'd use it at all.
    The old cobble texture looks absolutely hideous imo
    It would be nice of it had the old wood texture though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)