1. Post #1401
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,807 Posts
    "Kill meeee eeaaeegh"

Nah, That should be an interesting PSU.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

2. Post #1402
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    3,681 Posts
    "Kill meeee eeaaeegh"

Nah, That should be an interesting PSU.
    At least he will know when he is overloading it.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

3. Post #1403
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,427 Posts
    Added the transformer, 10-0-10 with a spare 20V winding.

At least he will know when he is overloading it.
    I'll be adding (non-adjustable) current limiting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #1404
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    3,681 Posts
    I just got a stereo set in for repair, just look at these specs!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #1405
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,807 Posts
    I love me some square waves.

PWM sound?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #1406
    February 2007
    116 Posts
    That's nothing strange, actually. They sometimes refer to this as a "PWM DAC". The amp most likely has some class D architecture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class-D_amplifier). But I agree, "1 bit DAC" looks kind of funny.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #1407
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    3,681 Posts
    That's nothing strange, actually. They sometimes refer to this as a "PWM DAC". The amp most likely has some class D architecture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class-D_amplifier). But I agree, "1 bit DAC" looks kind of funny.
    If it were a PWM DAC I'd expect them to put the resolution of that on the case instead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

8. Post #1408
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,427 Posts
    Fuck the inside case of this tube radio is horrible, it has a thick layer of tobacco residue that's very hard to shift, at the moment I'm practically washing it with IPA and going at it like mad with a toothbrush.
    Smokers should be banned from owning electronics, it's fucking disgusting.

Edited:

Fuck the inside case of this tube radio is horrible, it has a thick layer of tobacco residue that's very hard to shift, at the moment I'm practically washing it with IPA and going at it like mad with a toothbrush.
    Smokers should be banned from owning electronics, it's fucking disgusting.
    Edit

Got most of it off *vomit* so it looks (and smells) a lot nicer, going to get some Brasso to polish it to a nice shine and finish it off with some wax.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #1409
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    My scope previously was owned by a smoker, but it barely smells anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

10. Post #1410
    November 2010
    2,262 Posts
    I just scored a canon scanner, a box full of banana plug cables and a TI30 scientific calculator at a yard sale for all of $3. Cannon's gonna get dissected but the ti-30 is easily gonna be my main calculator around the workbench. Oh and my brother gave me a 32 inch LCD tv that doesn't work, repair time!

Edited:

Oh yeah and I got a tape recorder/stereo from mom to disassemble and I found an old satelite tv box, plus I'm going out today to check out some more yard sales.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #1411
    February 2007
    116 Posts
    Got most of it off *vomit* so it looks (and smells) a lot nicer, going to get some Brasso to polish it to a nice shine and finish it off with some wax.
    I don't know if putting wax on the components is a good idea, since these things tend to get warm on the inside... If my tube radio has been playing for a few hours, the whole chassis of the thing gets warm.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

12. Post #1412
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,427 Posts
    I don't know if putting wax on the components is a good idea, since these things tend to get warm on the inside... If my tube radio has been playing for a few hours, the whole chassis of the thing gets warm.
    I'll only be waxing the outside, it will be a thin coating so heat shoud not be a problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

13. Post #1413
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    2,186 Posts
    The easiest solution I think is to get a stereo potentiometer. That's basically 2 pots on the same shaft.
    Thanks.. great idea and it works wonderfully!

14. Post #1414
    May 2011
    1,746 Posts
    Grandparents gave me a nice old MAP sensor, hoping it still works. Not sure what I could use it on though.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #1415
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    So enabling i2c drivers on the raspberry pi is a bit of a pain in the ass and requires recompiling the entire kernel. I'm currently still compiling, but I hope I can finally access the i2c (and spi) devices afterwards :)

16. Post #1416
    May 2011
    1,746 Posts
    I2C gives alot of people problems :(

Or maybe thats just me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

17. Post #1417
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    I2C gives alot of people problems :(

Or maybe thats just me
    It's because it's not compiled in the images provided on raspberrypi.org.

Here's a pretty comprehensive guide on how to compile the newest kernel. Just note that you have to transfer the old config file, then run "make menuconfig" and enable the i2c and spi module.
    http://elinux.org/RPi_Kernel_Compilation

18. Post #1418
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,427 Posts

Sorted out the rectifier, I think I'm going to just use a half-wave rectifier to save on parts and space, The transformer is only small so my usable maximum current is probably only in the 250mA region which does not really matter much I just want a decent dual rail supply which are pretty much required for experimenting with op-amps and many transistor circuits unless you want to screw around with single rail operation which is not always ideal.

(Note: the negative rail in blue is offset from 0V on purpose for visual clarity)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #1419
    November 2010
    2,262 Posts
    So I ask dad to keep a lookout for something to knick at the electronic waste section of the recycling center as he's dumping some old TV's. Half an hour later he comes back with nothing less than a goddamn keithley instruments 155 microvolt meter. It goes from 1ÁV to 1kV and supposedly has better than 150nV resolution at 1% accuracy.
    Don't know about that though, it has a cal sticker dated 22/4 1970. Still all that seems wrong with it is that the batteries are dead, they're old style pp6 9 volt batteries, think I'll just replace it with modern 9 volts after I clean out this melted sticky 40 year old foam tape.

Other than that, one of the mounts on the pcb has cracked and obviously I'll need to recalibrate it at some point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

20. Post #1420
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    7,444 Posts
    Gotta love finding junk where you work. Working in the HVAC field has netted me an old Carrier 3-phase motor speed controller which had, among other things, 2 rather beefy 400uF 1000V capacitors. There's also a rather large ceramic mystery part which, considering it's bolted to the rather large heatsink, is likely the do-whatsit that delivers the final 3-phase output (anywhere from 40Hz to 240Hz if I recall).
    I was also able to nab an old water-cooled condenser coil from an old ice machine which, with a few alterations, should work nicely for another project I've been working on.

21. Post #1421
    May 2011
    1,746 Posts
    Gotta love finding junk where you work. Working in the HVAC field has netted me an old Carrier 3-phase motor speed controller which had, among other things, 2 rather beefy 400uF 1000V capacitors. There's also a rather large ceramic mystery part which, considering it's bolted to the rather large heatsink, is likely the do-whatsit that delivers the final 3-phase output (anywhere from 40Hz to 240Hz if I recall).
    I was also able to nab an old water-cooled condenser coil from an old ice machine which, with a few alterations, should work nicely for another project I've been working on.
    Pics of the condenser, please? I'm working on a similar project

22. Post #1422
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    3,681 Posts

IGBT perhaps?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

23. Post #1423

June 2011
    219 Posts
    looks more like a normal BJT with some diodes in it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

24. Post #1424
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,427 Posts
    -snip- hurr

Anyway I bet my left leg it's an IGBT module.

25. Post #1425
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    7,444 Posts
    Reading up on it, I bet that's what it is too. Has alot of pins in it though so I thnk it's safe to assume there's multiple devices in this one module. Methinks I could use it to make an inverter should I ever get that windmill off the ground. Score!

26. Post #1426
    January 2011
    273 Posts
    http://www.newrock.com.cn/PDF/IGBTMD...145GAR123D.pdf
    It's an IGBT module
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

27. Post #1427
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    3,681 Posts
    I searched for an IGBT image so guess what it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

28. Post #1428
    November 2010
    2,262 Posts
    So I just fired up my keithley 155 using an ATX power supply to get +-12 volts. It originally runs off of four 9 volt batteries to get +-18 volts but I don't have any 9 volts at home right now so +-12 had to do for a test.
    As far as I can tell it works just fine, not horribly out of spec either though I was comparing it to the readout of a $10 multimeter and only measuring down to a few millivolts. The Ávolts range was almost completely unuseable due to the switching noise from the atx psu but I just wanted to see it was working.
    Gonna order a 10 pack of 9 volts from dealextreme for $10 within the week probably and once they arrive I'll make a neat installation and then I'll take pictures and upload them here and probably on the eevblog forums.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #1429

June 2011
    219 Posts
    You'll probably get more value if you invest the 10 dollars in better batteries at your local store (+ it won't take a year and a half to arrive)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Germany Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #1430
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    7,444 Posts
    Pics of the condenser, please? I'm working on a similar project
    For you to know if it's a similar project you'd have to know what I'm doing, which as far as I know, I've not mentioned it.

31. Post #1431
    May 2011
    1,746 Posts
    For you to know if it's a similar project you'd have to know what I'm doing, which last I heard I've not mentioned it.
    Does it pertain to a cooling project/goal? (Thank you btw)

32. Post #1432
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    7,444 Posts
    Does it pertain to a cooling project/goal? (Thank you btw)
    The plan is to use it as a heat exchanger for my mineral oil computer so I can refrigerate the oil, yes. Though looking at it now it might be too big to be used effectively as an evaporator. Might be able to get away with it by slowing the flow of oil through it so I don't get some insane super-heat numbers, but I dunno. I might be better off asking my old HVAC instructor if he has access to any old water fountains destined for the scrap yard, the heat exchangers in those might work better, but then again they might be too small, too. I'll see what Google can find out about this thing before I proceed any further, though.
    And yes, I do have a compressor/condenser coil already, gutted them out of a 5,000BTU/H window unit. It was a R-410A system, but the idea is to use R-134a instead, which the oil used is the same for both so there's no issue there, and a 410 compressor can certainly handle any pressures 134a could ever hope to exert under normal operating conditions.

Yeah, yikes, this thing is designed to handle 1.66 tons of refrigeration. Starting to think it may not be suitable after all. I might still be able to get away with it, if I reduce airflow over the condenser I can effectively "trick" the thing into acting like a 1/2 ton system. But still, this is sad news as it means I've likely just salvaged a very bizarre-looking door-stop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #1433
    May 2011
    1,746 Posts
    You'd have to keep that mineral oil pressurized pretty good, I can imagine it just collecting once its condensed in that unit. Agreed, you might want to start small.

34. Post #1434
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    7,444 Posts
    You'd have to keep that mineral oil pressurized pretty good, I can imagine it just collecting once its condensed in that unit. Agreed, you might want to start small.
    The pump being used is a 320GPH fountain pump, but yeah, once it starts getting chilled it'll thicken up pretty good. It's veterinary-grade mineral oil, so no real specs on the pour-point and what-not. Some preliminary reading shows that, at least with air-based systems, a larger evap coil compared to condensing coil isn't a huge deal (except it causes humidity problems. This is me caring. :geno: ). Since it's mostly an experiment anyway and not likely to ass-fuck the compressor, I might just try it out anyway and hope for the best. I'm not planning on getting the oil to 0 degrees F anyway, mostly just aiming for a 40F ambient temp. Should keep everything cool while still maintaining the oil in a mostly liquid state so it can do its job.
    I mean hell, 5,000 BTU/H is kind of over-kill since the maximum power-draw on the system in question is less than 350W (1195.25 BTU/H roughly), but meh, the compressor was dirt-cheap. Can't beat a working compressor with condenser coil for $60.
    Absolute worst-case scenario, I might just go redundant and make heat exchangers for both the GPU and CPU and use the mineral oil purely as insulation (though obviously it would get cooled too, and cool the other shit like MB/RAM).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #1435
    May 2011
    1,746 Posts
    Hopefully that mineral oil is at a low enough viscosity for the compressor.

You have any ideas on how I could make a compact expansion valve? Just make a pinch point?

36. Post #1436
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    7,444 Posts
    Hopefully that mineral oil is at a low enough viscosity for the compressor.

You have any ideas on how I could make a compact expansion valve? Just make a pinch point?
    Coiled capillary tube or piston orifice would be your best bet. You can even wrap a good portion of the cap-tube around the suction line to increase super-heat (prevents liquid refrigerant from reaching the compressor, that would be bad) and increase sub-cooling. Simply pinching the tube *might* work, but it'd be an imprecise method at best. Danfoss has a program somewhere that allows you to compute the length and gauge of cap-tube you need for various things.
    And the mineral oil isn't going into the compressor at all, most HFC refrigerants don't play nice with mineral oil nor, in some cases, alkybenzene.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #1437
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    7,444 Posts
    So I just fired up my keithley 155 using an ATX power supply to get +-12 volts. It originally runs off of four 9 volt batteries to get +-18 volts but I don't have any 9 volts at home right now so +-12 had to do for a test.
    As far as I can tell it works just fine, not horribly out of spec either though I was comparing it to the readout of a $10 multimeter and only measuring down to a few millivolts. The Ávolts range was almost completely unuseable due to the switching noise from the atx psu but I just wanted to see it was working.
    Gonna order a 10 pack of 9 volts from dealextreme for $10 within the week probably and once they arrive I'll make a neat installation and then I'll take pictures and upload them here and probably on the eevblog forums.
    You could always put +12V on the positive terminal and -5V on the negative terminal, giving you an effective 17V. Close enough, eh?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #1438
    November 2010
    2,262 Posts
    You could always put +12V on the positive terminal and -5V on the negative terminal, giving you an effective 17V. Close enough, eh?
    The keithley needs dual rail supply, one at +18 volts and one at -18 volts. It uses four 9 volt batteries to achieve this by connecting it like this:

You can achieve this using any two isolated power supplies, the reason this thing uses batteries is because any other power supply would have been too noisy for the really low level measurements. I just used an atx power supply to see if it worked at all while I wait for the batteries. To do what you propose I would need two atx power supplies that I would have to mod to be mains earth isolated, and it would all be very unnecessary because I just wanted to see if it worked and +-12v did that just fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #1439
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    Very, very informative video on good electrician practices. I hope you'll learn new tricks from it.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Hungary Show Events Funny Funny x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #1440
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,095 Posts
    You know, for a country which hates gore in their video games, they sure know how to make their safety videos graphic as fuck.

Edited: Finalizing the overlay for the programmer. Not sure what else to change. Any ideas?

I also need two new knobs. the ones I got are too big and interfere with the big EPROM TEXTOOL socket and leave no room to not what each position does.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)