1. Post #3561
    June 2009
    1,822 Posts
    Might be a bit of a shot in the dark but has anybody here ever taken their car to have a full body respray? What kind of price range did you pay?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #3562
    December 2011
    1,964 Posts
    tyte
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3563
    IT WAS ONLY $1 SO WHY NOT BUY A TITLE?
    March 2007
    3,102 Posts
    Might be a bit of a shot in the dark but has anybody here ever taken their car to have a full body respray? What kind of price range did you pay?
    You want maaco to do it? Anywhere from $250-$1200 and you'll get a meh paint job. You'd be better off buying a spray gun and doing it yourself.

You want a good paint job? It really depends on the vehicle so can't really give you an accurate answer, the only real way is to get an estimate.

But if you're curious about how expensive it is, a good paint job will run anywhere from $2000-$5000 for an average car. For restoration/collector/custom quality, you can pay as high as $10,000 or more.

A good estimate would be around $3000 for a good paint job. Don't expect to get good results for cheap. However, a good paint job will last many years and look excellent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #3564
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,068 Posts
    I'm actually pretty curious about professionals doing the body work. Most of my friends just haphazardly rattle can their panels and call it done, (that's not to say you can't make a great paint job with that).

I'd like paint that would closely resemble stock looks of my car
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #3565
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    I'm actually pretty curious about professionals doing the body work. Most of my friends just haphazardly rattle can their panels and call it done, (that's not to say you can't make a great paint job with that).

I'd like paint that would closely resemble stock looks of my car
    You can get a decent looking paint job for super cheap if you know how to paint.

Also, rattlecan can be done good but it takes a steady hand and a good eye.

(all taken from h-t spraypainted cars thread, and there were some really nice ones in that thread too. Also some really shit ones. But you get the idea -- it takes skill)

Some pretty crazy stuff has been done too

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

6. Post #3566
    November 2008
    1,952 Posts
    My dad payed $1000 to get the cuda painted, he did all the prep work himself in a $200 tent with about $200 in supplies (no idea of the actual value but it was cheap)
    All the body shop did was mix the paint and paint the car in their shop, turned out great.

Unrelated but, this has been sitting on our window sill for god knows how long and I had no idea what it was till I took a closer look at it and it's a cutaway of a 426 hemi cylinder head, thought that was pretty cool.

Unrelated too, I have $1000 saved up right now, if all my kijiji shit sells I should have near 4 grand which is what this guy wants about for the car, however the problem is how long will it take for me to sell all my stuff so me and my dad are thinking of buying it before it sells and I will pay him off later.
    http://saskatchewan.kijiji.ca/c-cars...AdIdZ374898905

340 4 speed, aww yeah. He wants around 4 grand, after and of we get the car is can build a really mean 440 for under 2 grand out of spare parts that are lying around. Which is a billet 4.730 stroke crank (for a whopping 555 cui), eagle shot peened and the works H beam rods, Edelbrok performer RPM heads, and a nice tunnel ram.
    I would like to focus on body work first though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #3567
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    My dad payed $1000 to get the cuda painted, he did all the prep work himself in a $200 tent with about $200 in supplies (no idea of the actual value but it was cheap)
    All the body shop did was mix the paint and paint the car in their shop, turned out great.

Unrelated but, this has been sitting on our window sill for god knows how long and I had no idea what it was till I took a closer look at it and it's a cutaway of a 426 hemi cylinder head, thought that was pretty cool.

Unrelated too, I have $1000 saved up right now, if all my kijiji shit sells I should have near 4 grand which is what this guy wants about for the car, however the problem is how long will it take for me to sell all my stuff so me and my dad are thinking of buying it before it sells and I will pay him off later.
    http://saskatchewan.kijiji.ca/c-cars...AdIdZ374898905

340 4 speed, aww yeah. He wants around 4 grand, after and of we get the car is can build a really mean 440 for under 2 grand out of spare parts that are lying around. Which is a billet 4.730 stroke crank (for a whopping 555 cui), eagle shot peened and the works H beam rods, Edelbrok performer RPM heads, and a nice tunnel ram.
    I would like to focus on body work first though
    Send me that 340 if you yank it out

I'd like to save it for a challenger if I ever get one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

8. Post #3568
    June 2007
    540 Posts
    I really love the subtle purr of that RX-7 at idle or low rpm.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #3569
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,593 Posts
    Depends on the level of detail. You can get cheapo resprays in bad shops where they won't remove any panels and will just sand it and spray it with cheap paint but don't expect the car to look very good after a few washes as the paint will be soft as shit.

A good paint job takes time. I'd expect all panels to be removed and any rust treated, manufacturer spec or equivalent spec paint used and finished off with a good lacquer. All the work should be carried out in a proper workshop at the right temperature / humidity for best results.

If I were going for a full respray I'd be looking to pay at least 2,500 so around $3500 - $4000?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #3570
    November 2010
    870 Posts
    I really love the subtle purr of that RX-7 at idle or low rpm.
    i know me too back a few years, i attempted to buy a rx-7 turbo II it had 12k miles on it, that was 2003 i think. couldnt get a loan cause i wasnt at my job long enough.

11. Post #3571
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,068 Posts
    My mechanic is quoting me over $1000 for repairs for my 240sx. I think I'm being jipped.

He mentioned a water pump leak and some basic maintenance repairs for the engine like belts and some hoses. It's out of the question being that the repairs would cost more than the actual car itself. I think I may need to just let him repair the water pump for now and I can take care of the other things later on

12. Post #3572
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,361 Posts
    belts being bad = all of a sudden bent valves up in this bitch.

plus i'm quite sure getting the cam belts changed is quite expensive if that was one of the belts..
    (also valves will only maybe be bent and only if it's the cam belt)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #3573
    MasterDragon
    May 2009
    6,554 Posts
    Maybe you should find another KA on craigslist and swap them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #3574
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,361 Posts
    or maybe just find an SR20 if he's going that way...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

15. Post #3575
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,068 Posts
    Maybe you should find another KA on craigslist and swap them.
    That's what I was thinking from the start, as a KA24DE twin cam goes for as low as $500 over here. It's just that I don't have the tools or expertise to do the swap myself so I'd have to pay for labor.

SR20's are great, but out of the equation because my car would go to the crusher if I was ever caught with it in the bay. I'm gonna talk to the mechanic today in a couple of hours, I have to get this sorted out. The main problem is the water pump and intake hose. If I can repair just those for now and the other maintenance stuff later, I'd be set.

I don't care about garaging my car for a while until I get enough dosh to pay for it. My girlfriend has been bribing me because she has the money to pay for my car. T.T
    Good news, it passed the smog emissions tests and I'm going to register myself as the new owner today!

16. Post #3576
    Premature Joculation
    April 2009
    7,755 Posts
    Wish me luck, going to go get my driver's permit and I gotta take a test to do it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #3577
    Gold Member

September 2006
    8,277 Posts
    Wish me luck, going to go get my driver's permit and I gotta take a test to do it.
    Test is easy as hell, it's mostly common sense. I passed on my first try
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

18. Post #3578
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    9,528 Posts
    I failed my first try because I went 40 in a 35. :|

Edited:

Insta failed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #3579
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,068 Posts
    Went to mechanic and he lifted the 240sx for me to see everything. Car is in working order. He was in the middle of fixing stuff so it was easy to see what happened.

He got a new head gasket for the KA24E because it's broke. Some numbnuts forgot to torque the bolts on the right rotors, making the bolts fall out. The fan housing is cracked and unhinged. The intake hose for now has been ducttaped until I can find a new part. The water pump is just shot and has seized, explaining the poor engine performance. The wiring for the speedometer that is connected to the transmission is just done as well.

Lotsa work needs to be done before I can safely drive it. :)

20. Post #3580
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    4,109 Posts
    I remember how I scared the hell out of my instructor because of how tense I was being. For example when a person beeped a horn (not at me) I remember asking loudly, "Oh god what was that?". At the end he told me that I passed and to not be so tense.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #3581
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    842 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 10Winner Winner x 5Late Late x 1 (list)

22. Post #3582
    I HAVE A ROTARY BECAUSE ITS GODDAMN AWESOME!
    April 2007
    3,146 Posts
    On my driving test 4 or 5 years ago or so, i was prevented from getting a perfect score and lost like 5/50 points or however the fuck they do it because i was "holding the steering wheel the incorrect way at 10&2". Short of like, wrapping your thumbs around the wheel or criss-crossing your arms and switching spots, i don't really see how that's possible. But whatever. Guy was a dick, but aren't they all?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #3583
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,054 Posts
    I just farted when the person that I'm skyping with was AFK. I heard it come from his headphones.
    I feel special.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Informative Informative x 3 (list)

24. Post #3584
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    6,637 Posts
    The markdown from 199,999 and the "What?!" that followed made me spit my drink.

Hot damn I'm going to make an ad like that when I sell my bike.

25. Post #3585
    Gold Member

September 2006
    8,277 Posts
    I thought we were talking about the written permit test, not the driving one?

26. Post #3586
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    7,066 Posts
    WHY THE FUCK CAN'T I DECIDE BETWEEN MUSTANG OR WRANGLER
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

27. Post #3587
    June 2007
    540 Posts
    WHY THE FUCK CAN'T I DECIDE BETWEEN MUSTANG OR WRANGLER
    Make a pros/cons list and decide from there.

28. Post #3588
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    9,528 Posts
    Get a 190E Cos. Same price range, but older.

29. Post #3589
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    7,066 Posts
    Mustang pros:
    Lots o power (and I love to go fast)
    Comfortable ride*
    Semi luxurious*
    Heated seats
    Decent gas mileage (17/26)*
    Classic muscle look

Mustang cons:*
    They're quite common
    Can't drive like a retard (like park on curbs and ram shit like I all ready do)
    Not a lot of storage

Wrangler pros:
    Off roading fun (which I love just as much as muscle)*
    I CAN drive like a retard and ram shit
    Can go camping with friends in it
    Mudding
    More cargo room
    It's like a badass convertible with the rag top

Wrangler cons:
    Bad gas mileage (pretty much the same as now)*
    Bad highway ride (I'll be making semi regular 6 hour journeys to and from college and with a rag top, it'd get annoying)*
    Pretty fucking slow

What do you guys think?

Edited:

What the fuck are all those asterisks doing there

30. Post #3590
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    9,528 Posts
    Don't forget dat straight six roar

31. Post #3591
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    7,066 Posts
    I'd literally have the same engine as I do now

32. Post #3592
    December 2011
    1,964 Posts
    But less aids infested and therefore more powerful.

33. Post #3593
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,681 Posts
    mustang mustang mustang mustang mustang mustang
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

34. Post #3594
    June 2007
    540 Posts
    Take the Mustang mudding anyways. Put a giant lifted truck suspension and huge offroad wheels on it or something.

35. Post #3595
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    7,066 Posts
    I have no idea why I rated you agree hell strike

Like I just did.

Anyway, yeah, it's fucking hard
    Jeep:
    http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/ctd/2975885230.html

Mustang:
    http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/ctd/2974731902.html

SO HARD
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #3596
    December 2011
    1,964 Posts
    mustang manual?

my comanche is pretty slow but driving it is a helluva lot funner than my grand am was.

37. Post #3597
    VAG Lover
    June 2010
    2,711 Posts
    Today my AirCon did not want to turn on (the fan never kicked in)

So after like 10min of driving I'm kinda mad at it, I navigated my leg to the passenger foot-well and kick the shit out of my AirCon fan. IT STARTED SPINNING!

Also it was apparently AUDI day at Walmart. I saw 6 Audi's today... talked to at least 3 of witch,
    99 A4 2.8 Manual FWD
    2003 A6 2.7T
    98 A6 Avant 2.8
    2 Q5's and 1 Q7

Normally I only get to see one a day, made my day when the A4 layed rubber. My bosses asked me if I knew him I was like LOLNO I wish I did we have the almost exact same cars. He thin later sayed "I better not find you doing that in the parking lot."

~The vultures are watching me~

38. Post #3598
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    7,066 Posts
    Honestly, and you all can criticize me all you want, but I'm open to both. Whatever's the better deal, and I kind of would rather prefer an automatic since I'll be delivering pizzas for at least 3 months more

39. Post #3599
    June 2007
    540 Posts
    Honestly, and you all can criticize me all you want, but I'm open to both. Whatever's the better deal, and I kind of would rather prefer an automatic since I'll be delivering pizzas for at least 3 months more
    You can't be a real Mustang owner without a manual. Honestly, to me, if it's supposed to be a sports car then it needs a manual. Period.

40. Post #3600
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    7,066 Posts
    Well try delivering pizzas in a manual. That'd be a real pain in the ass
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)