1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    20,798 Posts
    Like the last thread, post anything and everything about music and music creation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    875 Posts
    If I had a penny for every time there was a new off-topic discussion thread in the MGR I'd have two pennies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    20,798 Posts
    If I had a penny for every time there was a new off-topic discussion thread in the MGR I'd have two pennies.
    Very good counting, Schmoe. You get a golden star.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,666 Posts
    We are so very proud of you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    875 Posts
    Yur|ko has been working with me on speeling and counting for the past two months which if I'm correct is almost eleven weeks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    20,798 Posts
    WHAT!?
    Yur|ko has been helping you? CHEATING! You are now disqualified.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,666 Posts
    Yur|ko has been working with me on speeling and counting for the past two months which if I'm correct is almost eleven weeks!
    I have taught you well :')

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    875 Posts
    First serious post in the thread coming up...

So, I just checked my email and a guy who contacted me months ago about using a piece of mine just sent me the finished product of the video he was working on. It's a documentary about an Australian skydiving team breaking a record and my piece comes in at about 1:00.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

9. Post #9

December 2011
    724 Posts
    oh so forum has post limit on threads?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    February 2011
    2,113 Posts
    Reposting from the old thread since it got locked before anyone could respond:

Hi all

I'm looking to get into music production - just interested as to the sort of software one might consider essential. That was the TL;DR part, so I'll explain myself a bit more below.

Yeah, although I've never really used any production software before, I don't want something basic or more focussed on ease of use than features as I don't want to be restricted creatively. I currently have no equipment whatsoever, but am not opposed to getting some in the future. Something I'm particularly interested in is the kinda 'live production' side of things (e.g. being able to do something like this http://youtu.be/8NuQxGQgik4) but I appreciate that before I do that I need to have all the sounds and arrangement there in the first place.

Initially I suppose I'd like to experiment with an array of different styles, but I don't think I'd ever just limit myself to a particular genre (or even make music within a genre), so versatility is important. I know it'll always be more rhythm-driven than melodic, but that's purely because Drum Kit is my main instrument, and my knowledge of it and appreciation of the finer points of rhythm is much greater than guitar/keyboard etc. Of course that's not to say I'm going to be another boring dubstep producer, but yeah I'd probably focus more on that than creating a catchy little hook.

So yeah that's it really. What do? All responses appreciated
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

11. Post #11
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    Any DAW will do really.

FL Studio, Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Ableton, etc.

They're all as powerful as each other more or less.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,251 Posts
    Reposting from the old thread since it got locked before anyone could respond:

Hi all

I'm looking to get into music production - just interested as to the sort of software one might consider essential. That was the TL;DR part, so I'll explain myself a bit more below.

Yeah, although I've never really used any production software before, I don't want something basic or more focussed on ease of use than features as I don't want to be restricted creatively. I currently have no equipment whatsoever, but am not opposed to getting some in the future. Something I'm particularly interested in is the kinda 'live production' side of things (e.g. being able to do something like this http://youtu.be/8NuQxGQgik4) but I appreciate that before I do that I need to have all the sounds and arrangement there in the first place.

Initially I suppose I'd like to experiment with an array of different styles, but I don't think I'd ever just limit myself to a particular genre (or even make music within a genre), so versatility is important. I know it'll always be more rhythm-driven than melodic, but that's purely because Drum Kit is my main instrument, and my knowledge of it and appreciation of the finer points of rhythm is much greater than guitar/keyboard etc. Of course that's not to say I'm going to be another boring dubstep producer, but yeah I'd probably focus more on that than creating a catchy little hook.

So yeah that's it really. What do? All responses appreciated
    i started in FL studio, moved to reason and now work in a mixture of logic and reason- its not worth spending hundreds of software that you might not like so try out everything first, be it with free trials or by seeing a few tutorials on the daw and if you think it looks easy enough go for it. every DAW can make pretty much anything really so you all you have to worry about is how comfortable you are with them.

you may need to find an assload of sample packs on the internet, there are loads of good free ones so dont worry about paying out for them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,666 Posts
    First serious post in the thread coming up...

So, I just checked my email and a guy who contacted me months ago about using a piece of mine just sent me the finished product of the video he was working on. It's a documentary about an Australian skydiving team breaking a record and my piece comes in at about 1:00.

Amazing, good job man!

14. Post #14

December 2011
    724 Posts
    im lost with music i just dont know what i want to do i think i have made two songs that sort of sound like my hero (andrew w.k) but one song sounds not like the other songs and im not sure what to think of this is it ok to make songs that are not like rest of songs you make? this is maybe weird question but i dont know if there are unwritten rules on how to be musician.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

15. Post #15
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,251 Posts
    im lost with music i just dont know what i want to do i think i have made two songs that sort of sound like my hero (andrew w.k) but one song sounds not like the other songs and im not sure what to think of this is it ok to make songs that are not like rest of songs you make? this is maybe weird question but i dont know if there are unwritten rules on how to be musician.
    there are no rules to music. just guidelines and your own imagination
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    2,988 Posts
    Can anyone figure out where this guy got his beats?

http://bleezie.net/

The songs "This One" and "Secret Level". I'd really like the instrumentals of those, I don't think he produced them himself. There's a little player thing that has those songs in it.

Thanks for any help!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

17. Post #17

December 2011
    724 Posts
    there are no rules to music. just guidelines and your own imagination
    oh ok cool i will see what response is of different song and maybe i can make more like it but i will still make happy songs because i think they are funnier to make and making music to party is better i think but what are guidelines for music? do you think you can show me guidelines and also i was wondering if maybe someone can be musician mentor for me?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

18. Post #18
    February 2011
    2,113 Posts
    Thanks for the above responses. I'm probably going to go for either Reason or Ableton, as I like the visual style of the former and the potential for live stuff in the latter (a lot of the pads etc. I've looked at seem to hook up to Ableton). Maybe I'll come back soon with some tracks.
    I'll get hunting for some nice samples too, cheers

19. Post #19
    August 2008
    1,532 Posts
    I didn't even notice this new thread at first.

Edited:

Now where are my 250% of dubstep?

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    20,798 Posts
    I didn't even notice this new thread at first.

Edited:

Now where are my 250% of dubstep?
    Don't worry, they're coming later.

21. Post #21
    August 2008
    1,532 Posts
    Don't worry, they're coming later.
    Good. I'll be waiting for them.

Also, can anybody hook me up with some sample packs? Drums, synths, vocals, noise, whatever, I'm just looking for new sounds to play with.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,740 Posts
    Good. I'll be waiting for them.

Also, can anybody hook me up with some sample packs? Drums, synths, vocals, noise, whatever, I'm just looking for new sounds to play with.
    http://darkbeats.com/sampleswap/

The secret has been revealed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    February 2011
    2,113 Posts
    Has anyone made/know of any dance/Drum & Bass/Electronica in general that uses a more interesting time signature than 4/4? I'm a fan of 7/8 but there's not much stuff out there, besides that Venetian Snares album where all the tracks have Hungarian names (if you haven't heard it I suggest you do so; it's fantastic)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,740 Posts
    Has anyone made/know of any dance/Drum & Bass/Electronica in general that uses a more interesting time signature than 4/4? I'm a fan of 7/8 but there's not much stuff out there, besides that Venetian Snares album where all the tracks have Hungarian names (if you haven't heard it I suggest you do so; it's fantastic)
    IDM mainly. Electronic music is mostly dance(able) music so it's really 4/4 based a lot of the time.

I mean, have you ever tried to dance to an venetian snares album? Your bones would probably break.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    20,798 Posts
    Just got to show a song I wrote to my class in Music today.
    Teacher's mind was definitely blown.

26. Post #26
    February 2011
    2,113 Posts
    IDM mainly. Electronic music is mostly dance(able) music so it's really 4/4 based a lot of the time.

I mean, have you ever tried to dance to an venetian snares album? Your bones would probably break.
    I guess. With some clever drumwork you could make a 3/4 track danceable though, no doubt. Perhaps I'll give it a go.

27. Post #27
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    i haven't even gotten 20 seconds through a venetian snares album.
    absolutely dreadful.

Edited:

I guess. With some clever drumwork you could make a 3/4 track danceable though, no doubt. Perhaps I'll give it a go.
    3/4 is the original dance music!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    August 2008
    1,532 Posts
    http://darkbeats.com/sampleswap/

The secret has been revealed.
    This is awesome, thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events

29. Post #29
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    what are guidelines for music?
    Guidelines is a vague kind of mold which you shape your music around.

Basically if you have any idea of what you want your song to sound like - then that is your guideline to follow while you make the song. It's not something to get hung up on. You're already doing it without realizing it.

And sure, if you need any help, send me a pm or whatever. I also speak Swedish.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Sweden Show Events

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    2,181 Posts
    I has a question reguarding heavily modulated basses (neurostep for me.. I guess dubstep appplies)

How can you go about getting a more natural feel? I'm fine with making the bass and robotic/heavy sounds are easy, but how do you get a more natural human sound? It's hard to describe.. Like a sort of smooth bass. An example being at 2.09 here:

Is it more to do with the filtering, or the use of the modulation, or what? It sounds rather chorus-ey but I've always found applying a chorus destroys the low end of the bass a little.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

31. Post #31
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,793 Posts
    The drummer in one of the bands I play in is moving house and found this little gem and gave it to me:

A JHS SD1 Analogue drum synth pad. Late 70s. Made in Japan.

Just needs some attention, batteries leaked all inside and it has no means of external power so I'm going to re-foam the top, clean the board down and install an external power socket. Neat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    November 2007
    7,251 Posts
    I has a question reguarding heavily modulated basses (neurostep for me.. I guess dubstep appplies)

How can you go about getting a more natural feel? I'm fine with making the bass and robotic/heavy sounds are easy, but how do you get a more natural human sound? It's hard to describe.. Like a sort of smooth bass. An example being at 2.09 here:

Is it more to do with the filtering, or the use of the modulation, or what? It sounds rather chorus-ey but I've always found applying a chorus destroys the low end of the bass a little.
    modulation like you've never seen before
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    February 2011
    2,113 Posts
    absolutely dreadful.
    But, but dat 7/4

34. Post #34
    November 2007
    7,251 Posts
    But, but dat 7/4
    just because it's 7/4 doesnt mean its in any way complicated or sophisticated
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

35. Post #35
    February 2011
    2,113 Posts
    I didn't suggest it was; it does make for a more interesting track though. I'd rather listen to that than Producer #4087 with their latest xxxtreme filthy dubstep track, it all gets rather dull after a while
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,666 Posts
    I didn't suggest it was; it does make for a more interesting track though. I'd rather listen to that than Producer #4087 with their latest xxxtreme filthy dubstep track, it all gets rather dull after a while
    There are loads of interesting tracks in 4/4 man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #37

December 2011
    724 Posts
    If you want to listen to what I think is interesting music then you can go to this thread I think you will enjoy.

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1160784
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    February 2011
    2,113 Posts
    There are loads of interesting tracks in 4/4 man.
    You totally don't understand what I'm saying.

Tracks need something interesting or different in order to be most enjoyable.
    The interesting/unusual thing about that track is that it's written in 7/4.

Obviously there are ways songs can be interesting, and at no point did I say otherwise.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,914 Posts
    I made a cigar box guitar yesterday.

I just need to cut a few pieces for the bridge and the nut and it'll be all done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #40

December 2011
    724 Posts
    Im just curious have I done some wrong because first thread I make get response but now second thread where I have more music I think is better I get no response so I was thinking if I was maybe doing something wrong as user of facepunch forum?

I also have three songs I think fit together perfectly and I want to make album on internet with this music but I dont know how can I do that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)