November 2009
    3,552 Posts
    This is to no one in particular, but if you've got the time, watch this:

John Cleese is amazing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

2. Post #122

December 2011
    489 Posts
    I have been thinknig I need to learn playing piano mostly for making synth sounds and I got midi keyboard that is big it is called evolution something so that part is fixed, but is there anyone here who can be mentor for me and also are there any synths people have made that I could perhaps use?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

3. Post #123
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,063 Posts

a new song ive made. didnt really think it would fit into creative work in progress since its not really in progress

I have been thinknig I need to learn playing piano mostly for making synth sounds and I got midi keyboard that is big it is called evolution something so that part is fixed, but is there anyone here who can be mentor for me and also are there any synths people have made that I could perhaps use?
    haha dont even think about piano skills or theory when making synth sounds! its all about the feeling and emotion behind it, what you learn on a piano (other than notes and reading music i guess) is completely useless when it comes to most synthwork.

the best way to make synths i found was to reverse-engineer them, take them apart and see what it does piece by piece. everything has a function and if you play around you wont necessarily find it, but taking it away from something else might bring to light what it actually does
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #124

December 2011
    489 Posts
    Oh i used my words poorly, i want someone to help me with learning piano (being a mentor), and in other related news i would like some synth sounds or vsts i think they are called, so my request is getting a teacher in playing piano, and also if someone could maybe share some synth sounds that i can use while making music and learning piano.

I love your song, is it going to be on youre album?

5. Post #125
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,063 Posts
    yeah im sure i could find a place for it to fit into on the album; and what DAW do you use? i might be able to share some synths

6. Post #126

December 2011
    489 Posts
    I got FL studio old version number 8, friend had license and i borrow it from him but maybe i should get newer version?
    you should make place for it because song is beatiful

7. Post #127
    November 2007
    7,063 Posts
    fuck i double posted. anyway i dont have any presets for FL i dont think, but if you ever get into reason id happily share some stuff with you

8. Post #128

December 2011
    489 Posts
    thank you Bobie

9. Post #129
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,631 Posts
    Didn't know where best to post this.

I restored that JHS Drum pad!
    I cleaned up the PCB, Removed the Corrosion, Replaced the speaker with a new one as the old one had rotted (Used for detecting hits), replaced the battery clips, redid the wiring... and it works!

I may replace the jack socket as it it also quite heavily corroded.

Still need to re-foam the top.

Oh, If you ever need to clean a leaked battery.... White vinegar!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

10. Post #130
    July 2009
    2,005 Posts
    I'm recording drums in a real studio next week! Just finished the click tracks I'll be playing to, I'll post the results once it's all finished (just a heads up it's grindcore)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

11. Post #131

December 2011
    391 Posts
    I'm looking into getting a laptop that's good for music production. Any recommendations? I was thinking maybe one of the HP Envy series but I'm not sure.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

12. Post #132
    November 2007
    7,063 Posts
    I'm looking into getting a laptop that's good for music production. Any recommendations? I was thinking maybe one of the HP Envy series but I'm not sure.
    for playing a laptop through a sound system, there really isn't anything that lives up to the quality of hardware necessary for production other than a macbook pro. there are lots of studies done into it, and alot hardware by dell and hp in laptops are just wired too quickly without thought for sound, and are fitted with god-awful sound cards, meaning you usually have to run an external one which at the end of it all creates a lot of latency for the music you're making. you'll get alot of white noise and lag on anything other than a macbook basically, and logic is probably the best DAW available anyway

the only downside is the incredibly stupid cost
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

13. Post #133

December 2011
    489 Posts
    I have Acer Aspire 5742G and M-audio USB soundcard and except for a very small delay (that can be fixed when using DAW, just move sound forward that small delay) it works perfectly. No noise on tracks beyond the noise you get from amplifier but that cant be fixed anyway so.

14. Post #134

December 2011
    391 Posts
    for playing a laptop through a sound system, there really isn't anything that lives up to the quality of hardware necessary for production other than a macbook pro. there are lots of studies done into it, and alot hardware by dell and hp in laptops are just wired too quickly without thought for sound, and are fitted with god-awful sound cards, meaning you usually have to run an external one which at the end of it all creates a lot of latency for the music you're making. you'll get alot of white noise and lag on anything other than a macbook basically, and logic is probably the best DAW available anyway

yeah, i've heard that macbook pros are probably the best thing to get. I just can't stand the OS though

and it's a wee bit out of my budget haha

I have Acer Aspire 5742G and M-audio USB soundcard and except for a very small delay (that can be fixed when using DAW, just move sound forward that small delay) it works perfectly. No noise on tracks beyond the noise you get from amplifier but that cant be fixed anyway so.
    how much did the USB soundcard cost you?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

15. Post #135

December 2011
    489 Posts
    €79 A great buy

16. Post #136
    August 2009
    854 Posts
    Got me one of these:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #137
    Blue Member
    July 2010
    2,725 Posts

No. The only thing objectively true there is that Macbook Pros' sound cards are exceptional compared PC laptops'. Most people regardless of platform get interfaces for the audio inputs and outputs - and proper ASIO support, not because the PC laptops' sound cards are noisy (which I agree is mostly true). ASIO is a black magic protocol developed by Steinberg to allow for low latency on Windows. Technically both platforms are capable of the job. The biggest difference is in the availabilty of apps and price.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

18. Post #138
    October 2011
    205 Posts
    So I have very little experience with FL Studio, and I'm trying to make some obnoxiously generic dubstep, but I can't get the LFO automation of my wub to work (using massive).

why is this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

19. Post #139
    Blue Member
    July 2010
    2,725 Posts
    i might be just stating the obvious but that MOD5-RTE envelope parameter does not look like an LFO parameter.

20. Post #140
    April 2010
    7,442 Posts
    Has this section ever had any competitions?

21. Post #141
    October 2011
    205 Posts
    i might be just stating the obvious but that MOD5-RTE envelope parameter does not look like an LFO parameter.

That's what happens when I right click on the thing in massive

22. Post #142
    Blue Member
    July 2010
    2,725 Posts
    can you screenshot the whole massive plugin, i think i know what it is.

23. Post #143
    October 2011
    205 Posts
    can you screenshot the whole massive plugin, i think i know what it is.

24. Post #144
    Blue Member
    July 2010
    2,725 Posts
    so yeah basically drag that green compass looking thingy, to either or both of those circled boxes.

after you do that you'll see a green number five in the box(es).

drag the number 5 up, and the filter should be able to modulate then, the higher you drag it up the more drastic the lfo will be.

you can also drag it down, and the modulation will be inverted, aka "go the opposite way".

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #145
    October 2011
    205 Posts
    so yeah basically drag that green compass looking thingy, to either or both of those circled boxes.

after you do that you'll see a green number five in the box(es).

drag the number 5 up, and the filter should be able to modulate then, the higher you drag it up the more drastic the lfo will be.

you can also drag it down, and the modulation will be inverted, aka "go the opposite way".

Yay, it works! Thank you!

26. Post #146
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,700 Posts

Yo I gotta call you out on this now man, an external soundcard would DECREASE the latency, not increase it, which means a dell or hp laptop is a totally viable option.

I cannot possibly see why logic would be the best daw, that still depends 90% on your workflow. Hell, since Macs don't support vst plugins you are limiting yourself in that category.

I have 0 white noise with my Steinberg CI1 and a latency from 20-50 ms depending on how many processes I have running. It set me back only 90 bucks too damnit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events

27. Post #147
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts

incredibly stupid post
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #148
    November 2007
    7,063 Posts
    Yo I gotta call you out on this now man, an external soundcard would DECREASE the latency, not increase it, which means a dell or hp laptop is a totally viable option.

I cannot possibly see why logic would be the best daw, that still depends 90% on your workflow. Hell, since Macs don't support vst plugins you are limiting yourself in that category.

I have 0 white noise with my Steinberg CI1 and a latency from 20-50 ms depending on how many processes I have running. It set me back only 90 bucks too damnit.
    aw well excuse my post then, i just read it on a few websites and assumed it was true
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #149
    August 2009
    854 Posts
    Macs don't support vst plugins
    since when
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #150
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,631 Posts
    for playing a laptop through a sound system, there really isn't anything that lives up to the quality of hardware necessary for production other than a macbook pro. there are lots of studies done into it, and alot hardware by dell and hp in laptops are just wired too quickly without thought for sound,

meaning you usually have to run an external one which at the end of it all creates a lot of latency for the music you're making
    If you are serious about music production you won't be using the onboard audio anyway and if you know your stuff you'll buy a laptop with a firewire chipset that works well with your interface, for most interfaces this is one made by Texas Instruments. But this is not always the case (Macs have Ti)
    Using a properly designed professional audio interface will:

Allow you to push your sample rate up and your buffer sizes down. Decreasing Latency
    Give you better AD/DA Conversion than any integrated audio could ever give you
    Give you PROPER +4db balanced outputs, Which if you are playing a laptop through a professional sound system is a good thing

In the case of a laptop this will have to be external.

you'll get alot of white noise and lag on anything other than a macbook basically
    I suppose, then, that the people I have done work for are completely deaf, because I keep getting work.

Seriously, where did you hear this?
    The noise level is completely dependent on the interface and what you have plugged into it, your software should never introduce noise into your audio. Ok at a push, a poorly grounded computer could send some electrical noise down the firewire cable but this is a problem you could face with ANY audio set up. Even if there is no computer.

and logic is probably the best DAW available anyway
    Completely subjective. I have personally used it and I think it's a load of crap, but hey each to their own.

All of the above is mostly platform agnostic. Don't buy a mac "Just because it's a mac". It's not going to be advantageous in any way on the hardware side of things. If the OS works for you and your software is compatible with a mac then that is what you will buy.

I don't care if you use a mac, a windows/linux PC, an old Atari with Cubase 1 or an array of switches that you hand toggle to attain samples. Stuff like this does nothing but cause problems for people when they are building their system up.

I get 6ms total delay (Equal to standing roughly 6 feet from a sound source) through my system (In and back out) running at 48khz sample rate on my i5 windows system. This is Low enough to use a software mixer to create cue mixes.
    And yes I have used a mac, extensively, with pro tools.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

31. Post #151
    Blue Member
    July 2010
    2,725 Posts
    Macs don't support vst plugins
    They do. Logic exclusively uses AU though.

32. Post #152
    August 2008
    1,264 Posts
    Has this section ever had any competitions?
    I don't think so. I've thought about doing a "bad samples, good song" kind of competition, but I've never gotten around collecting a bunch of samples :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

33. Post #153
    November 2007
    7,063 Posts
    If you are serious about music production you won't be using the onboard audio anyway and if you know your stuff you'll buy a laptop with a firewire chipset that works well with your interface, for most interfaces this is one made by Texas Instruments. But this is not always the case (Macs have Ti)
    Using a properly designed professional audio interface will:

Allow you to push your sample rate up and your buffer sizes down. Decreasing Latency
    Give you better AD/DA Conversion than any integrated audio could ever give you
    Give you PROPER +4db balanced outputs, Which if you are playing a laptop through a professional sound system is a good thing

In the case of a laptop this will have to be external.

I suppose, then, that the people I have done work for are completely deaf, because I keep getting work.

Seriously, where did you hear this?
    The noise level is completely dependent on the interface and what you have plugged into it, your software should never introduce noise into your audio. Ok at a push, a poorly grounded computer could send some electrical noise down the firewire cable but this is a problem you could face with ANY audio set up. Even if there is no computer.

Completely subjective. I have personally used it and I think it's a load of crap, but hey each to their own.

All of the above is mostly platform agnostic. Don't buy a mac "Just because it's a mac". It's not going to be advantageous in any way on the hardware side of things. If the OS works for you and your software is compatible with a mac then that is what you will buy.

I don't care if you use a mac, a windows/linux PC, an old Atari with Cubase 1 or an array of switches that you hand toggle to attain samples. Stuff like this does nothing but cause problems for people when they are building their system up.

I get 6ms total delay (Equal to standing roughly 6 feet from a sound source) through my system (In and back out) running at 48khz sample rate on my i5 windows system. This is Low enough to use a software mixer to create cue mixes.
    And yes I have used a mac, extensively, with pro tools.
    god i admitted i was wrong did you really feel the need to write out a page on why i was wrong

though i completely disagree about using an interface if you want to be professional.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #154
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,631 Posts
    Sorry for providing concise explanations so others can learn?

I was purposefully non-hostile towards you, I have no interest in pissing people off. I suppose that is hard to get across in text form.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #155
    ASK ME ABOUT MY BAKELITE FETISH
    Dennab
    April 2011
    6,395 Posts
    Anybody know how to make wubs in FL Studio 10?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

36. Post #156
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,666 Posts
    though i completely disagree about using an interface if you want to be professional.
    Why? I don't mean to be hostile or anything, I'm just genuinely interested.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

37. Post #157
    November 2007
    7,063 Posts
    you can be 'professional' no matter what hardware you use to create or mix down music
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #158
    looking rad, feeling sad
    April 2011
    4,182 Posts
    My monitors arrived in the mail today. They sound AMAZING.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #159
    equalize, distort, equalize
    March 2007
    4,969 Posts
    Nice.

I have the 8 inch version of those.

They sound great, but they do kinda colour your mix. Looking into getting some Adam AX7's after hearing some good things about them/listening to them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

40. Post #160
    October 2011
    205 Posts
    Anybody know how to make wubs in FL Studio 10?
    look up about 10 posts