1. Post #361
    February 2011
    121 Posts
    If you guys made a concept album such as proposed I'd try and contribute. And, if it is Quality Controlled I'd personally try even harder, but some may see that as unfair.
    Surely as musicians we all want to push ourselves for higher standards? People who don't meet the standards might think it's unfair (which probably includes me).
    I Don't know if this ever does happen but If people who have been working hard for years at making great music can't get a spot because someone who hasn't really put much effort in and made a lame song got there first, I'd see that as a bit unfair
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #362
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,605 Posts
    I hope somebody could answer this, seeing as people here probably record music now and then.

I do some voice work for fun, but I have a lot of reflection when I talk into the microphone. I record on my desk and I have laminated floors, so there is almost no sound absorption.

My question is, seeing as I talk against the wall, would putting some acoustic foam behind the microphone, maybe 2 square feet, help against sound reflection enough for it to sound good enough to use in video games and radio?

Edited:

I use a studio condenser microphone with a spider mount and pop shield.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

3. Post #363
    February 2011
    121 Posts
    You can buy a reflection filter which is just a semicircle of foam that shields the rear of the mic. I just got condenser mic with one of these filters bundled with it, sounds great

http://www.seelectronics.com/reflexion-filter-pro
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #364
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,605 Posts
    I've looked at a reflection filter, however I don't think it would be very convenient for me seeing as I talk into the microphone while on my laptop. I think it might take too much space. Or is it quite small?

5. Post #365
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,793 Posts
    They are fairly big, I've had one.

They work VERY well, just don't buy a cheap imitation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #366
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,605 Posts
    So would you still recommend a reflection filter?

Also, I'm using the Samson CO1U, would an audio interface improve my recording quality?

I'm just looking for ways to make my recordings sound more professional without spending too much.

7. Post #367
    February 2011
    121 Posts
    I'd recommend a reflection filter, but it is a semicircle with about 1.5 ft diameter and about a foot high. So yeah you can't plonk it on your desk, you'd need to stand the arrangement off to the side a bit so you can turn and use it.

Regarding the interface, I think it's the mic itself that probably matters. If money is an issue then maybe you should try the filter first and see if that helps with your reflection problems, which I'm sure it will. If you bought an interface and a new mic then that's quite another big chunk of money. I use the SE X-1 since people recommended it and it does sound immense, it just doesn't colour the sound at all and gives a perfect reproduction of what you squawk into it :D

Personally I'd suggest that replacing your mic should be the last thing to try. It might be a bit at the cheap end but I'd be surprised if that's your main issue at the moment for what you described.

Mind if I ask what kind of voice work you do? Just out of interest
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #368
    November 2011
    723 Posts
    Band played our first gig tonight. Granted, it was only 3 songs long, and it was kind of a filler between bands, but people seemed to enjoy us. We would have played 2 other songs, but we weren't totally prepared/comfortable playing those songs, since we hadn't practiced them before. I also totally fucked up and got called out on it by the singer...but I took it in stride, because we all sort of messed up that part. We just 'rewound' and redid it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #369
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,231 Posts
    anyone else got exams/ a levels at the moment? ive been doing coursework and revision straight for the last few weeks now and im feeling seriously depressed due to a lack of production. cant wait until i get back on reason
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #370
    April 2010
    7,639 Posts
    anyone else got exams/ a levels at the moment? ive been doing coursework and revision straight for the last few weeks now and im feeling seriously depressed due to a lack of production. cant wait until i get back on reason
    Totally

I hope to get a job for the summer so I can get some hardware.

Edited:

Is it weird that I can't stand menu diving. Everyone loves Massive, but I find it extremely tedious.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

11. Post #371
    Blue Member
    July 2010
    2,766 Posts
    Nah it's not weird. For me, software gets less tedious over time. You can make it work more efficient by configuring it for your needs and making/editing presets. Everyone's different. I always say choose a tool that your work becomes the smoothest with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

12. Post #372
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,740 Posts
    Totally

I hope to get a job for the summer so I can get some hardware.

Edited:

Is it weird that I can't stand menu diving. Everyone loves Massive, but I find it extremely tedious.
    Hardware in the not 1000 range is pretty much the same if you're talking synths.

A midi keyboard is a pain to bind to a softsynth well.

Edited:

Infact synths in the sub-1000/$ range are more tedious since a lot of it has some internal menus and shit.

There are some good ones though, I recommend checking out SH-01

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events

13. Post #373
    April 2010
    7,639 Posts
    Hardware in the not 1000 range is pretty much the same if you're talking synths.

A midi keyboard is a pain to bind to a softsynth well.

Edited:

Infact synths in the sub-1000/$ range are more tedious since a lot of it has some internal menus and shit.

There are some good ones though, I recommend checking out SH-01

I've been eyeing a lot of semi-modulars lately.

This one seems pretty awesome. http://www.mfberlin.de/Produkte/Musi...b-synth3e.html

14. Post #374
    April 2010
    7,639 Posts
    Holy shit! I got my Monotron to do ring modulation.

15. Post #375
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    2,180 Posts
    Good lord someone please assist me.

In FL 9, whenever I pan something right it goes completely silent. As though the panning knob is a reversed volume control... So panned fully left it appears as loud as it can centrally, and as far right it's silent.

This suggests it's in mono, of course, but as far as I can tell it seems to think it's in stereo.

My headphones work fine.

any thoughts?

EDIT: With more experimentation I'm confused. A sound panned hard left (so no sound is produced) when exported looks fine in audacity, and plays fine through the laptops speakers. However, not through my headphones. Sound like they're broken, yet any music or anything else I play does show that the right headphone isn't dead at al- sound comes through it and it seems fine. Now I'm even more confused..

EDIT 2: Ok, it's anything I plug into my laptop's headphone jack. Which leads me to believe it's broken, but it's less than a month old so I find that hard to believe too. Running out of ideas now, hmm

EDIT 3: final ponderings for now... normal music from spotify or whatever sounds completely fine, so I think perhaps audacity and FL are screwed up somehow. Although anything they export has the same issue, so it's not their playback.

16. Post #376
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,740 Posts
    Good lord someone please assist me.

In FL 9, whenever I pan something right it goes completely silent. As though the panning knob is a reversed volume control... So panned fully left it appears as loud as it can centrally, and as far right it's silent.

This suggests it's in mono, of course, but as far as I can tell it seems to think it's in stereo.

My headphones work fine.

any thoughts?

EDIT: With more experimentation I'm confused. A sound panned hard left (so no sound is produced) when exported looks fine in audacity, and plays fine through the laptops speakers. However, not through my headphones. Sound like they're broken, yet any music or anything else I play does show that the right headphone isn't dead at al- sound comes through it and it seems fine. Now I'm even more confused..

EDIT 2: Ok, it's anything I plug into my laptop's headphone jack. Which leads me to believe it's broken, but it's less than a month old so I find that hard to believe too. Running out of ideas now, hmm

EDIT 3: final ponderings for now... normal music from spotify or whatever sounds completely fine, so I think perhaps audacity and FL are screwed up somehow. Although anything they export has the same issue, so it's not their playback.
    Try reinstalling audio drivers or ASIO or whatever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #377
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    2,180 Posts
    Try reinstalling audio drivers or ASIO or whatever.
    Gave that a shot already but to no avail.

I've roughly worked out what's happening, finally. It seems as though everything is in mono (so everything panned right is silent, and left full volume), but then the jack is still outputting stereo so everything seems to sit in the center.

18. Post #378
    Blue Member
    July 2010
    2,766 Posts
    Some 1/8" cables have obtrusive covers at the end, not allowing you to put the jack completely inside. If the jack is not inside enough, it won't pick up the full stereah signal. It might be that.

19. Post #379
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,793 Posts
    There's probably like two people who care but let's give the thread a bump.

I was doing some maintenance on my PA gear a few weeks back (De-Dusting, Repair work blah). Well today I decided to take a peek inside my new Bass amp (A Gallien Krueger MB210).

Interestingly, one of my PA top sets (A pair of LD Systems Stinger 12As) share the same power amplifier board. The B&O Icepower 125asx2.

Amazing.

Might be worth getting a board or two in as backups.

20. Post #380
    April 2010
    7,639 Posts
    http://soniccharge.com/microtonic

Has anyone ever used this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #381
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    There's probably like two people who care but let's give the thread a bump.

I was doing some maintenance on my PA gear a few weeks back (De-Dusting, Repair work blah). Well today I decided to take a peek inside my new Bass amp (A Gallien Krueger MB210).

Interestingly, one of my PA top sets (A pair of LD Systems Stinger 12As) share the same power amplifier board. The B&O Icepower 125asx2.

Amazing.

Might be worth getting a board or two in as backups.
    that might not be a bad idea if you got two using the same thing. Those Icepower boards are are pretty damn nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #382
    I HATE COFFEE
    April 2009
    8,338 Posts
    Haelo, sorry to come here like a nobody and just interrupt whatever you guys was talking about, but I'm just wondering where I can get the Facepunch Collaborative CD's? I bought them before (YES, I did actually pay!) but they got lost when I reformatted my computer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

23. Post #383
    August 2008
    1,532 Posts
    Haelo, sorry to come here like a nobody and just interrupt whatever you guys was talking about, but I'm just wondering where I can get the Facepunch Collaborative CD's? I bought them before (YES, I did actually pay!) but they got lost when I reformatted my computer.
    You can find them from www.facepunchcollaborative.bandcamp.com
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #384
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,594 Posts
    I just bought some Audio Technica ATH M50 :)

They obliterate every other can in this price range. Sennheiser 280 Pro sounded like shit compared to this one.

A quick review for facepunch:

Closed back - solid outside noise attenuation from 2000hz upwards. bass doesn't seem to bounce inside the cans, thus it's not overpowering, but is surely present with a punch.

Frequency response - flat, real flat 30hz to 16000hz response is surely there, for sure, really sure. Wide soundstage (stereo jizz in pants without mids distortion), and really high sensibility (up to -99db, hear the longest fucking reverb)

Impedance - play it on your iPod too, 38 ohms, great for laptop or audio interface setup. probably not a good idea for real hardware, you might kill them if you're not careful with volumes.

Comfort - sweaty ears if not taken off each 20-30 minutes. tight fit, but not like a virgin.

Overall x/10 - I'll give it a 10/10 for its price range (just because of the flat response). you can't spend 150euros better :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events

25. Post #385
    I HATE COFFEE
    April 2009
    8,338 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

26. Post #386
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    20,728 Posts
    Now that jomt1234 brought the subject up, what should we do with the collab albums?
    I know that less and less people have been listening to them lately, but I say that even if we only had 1 listener it'd be worth it.
    So should we make another collab album?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

27. Post #387
    July 2009
    2,021 Posts
    could I use one of my grindcore band's songs for the collab album?

28. Post #388
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    20,728 Posts
    could I use one of my grindcore band's songs for the collab album?
    If there will be one, definitely.

29. Post #389
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,740 Posts
    Now that jomt1234 brought the subject up, what should we do with the collab albums?
    I know that less and less people have been listening to them lately, but I say that even if we only had 1 listener it'd be worth it.
    Why not? Whenever anyone sets one up they'll surely get some replies
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events

30. Post #390
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    20,728 Posts
    Why not? Whenever anyone sets one up they'll surely get some replies
    Aye, but there was some discussion about not doing the albums anymore, plus nobody has volunteered to make the thread etc.

31. Post #391
    April 2010
    7,639 Posts
    I would not say no, but the lack of interest is kind of daunting. I have some awesome album art designs in the making.

32. Post #392
    hang you're self
    March 2008
    4,726 Posts

My first ever controller. Now to figure out how to use it

33. Post #393
    February 2011
    121 Posts
    Nice :)

I would not say no, but the lack of interest is kind of daunting. I have some awesome album art designs in the making.
    Lack of interest from listeners, producers or orginisers? I'd totally contribute a music

Is bandcamp the only place that the collab albums go? If there's a lack of listeners, how about whipping up a quick 'facepunch' soundcloud profile and putting the album on there too. Random people will come accross it, giving it another window to get some interest. Facepunch soundcloud users could also favourite it if they so wished and so on. It would only require effort when an album is made, and not a lot of effort really. Well for all I know this has been done already

34. Post #394
    Premature Joculation
    April 2009
    7,851 Posts
    Any guitar gurus out there, I have a question: what kind of strings should I get if I want a deep thick sound similar to Meshuggah or Amon Amarth?

Edited:

Actually, I want strings that are kinda in between Meshuggah sound and Pantera sound.

35. Post #395

December 2011
    606 Posts
    Strings don't "really" account to tone, not that much. Thick enough to handle tuning you are going to use. If you are aiming for that, I'd go with any non-special coated string set. Just make sure it's thick enough, .070 should be enough if tuning is between G and B standard.

Those 3 bands have all pretty different tones.

Large part of meshuggah's tone comes from bass, guitars have next to no bass and high-mids are cranked. Gain is lower then one would expect.

Amon Amarath has standard Swedish Death Metal tone, basically hm-2 cranked ran through solid state amp.

Pantera has hissy mid scooped guitar tone, I think Dimebag played solid state for most of his career. Dimebags tone is terrible in theory, but they made it work somehow.

If you want between Meshuggah and Pantera sound, it would be pretty much standard metal tone, all knobs at noon, mids maybe slightly scooped.

In metal music, excluding the player, roughly 70% of tone comes from amp. Rest is the guitar and components itself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #396
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,793 Posts
    For Bass, strings have an enormous impact on tone, especially when it comes to slap bass.

Went to a show showcasing students from the college I used to go to.
    My old tutor was there... I ended up doing the sound.

Was pretty fun, keeps you on your toes working on an unfamiliar system with unfamiliar bands in an room you don't know very well. Kept having to trace cables to find here stuff was patched.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

37. Post #397
    April 2010
    7,639 Posts
    Does anyone else name their project files weird things?

38. Post #398
    Blue Member
    July 2010
    2,766 Posts
    Everyone does that. Trust me man.

39. Post #399
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    i have a cassette called Grandma Pussy Acid

40. Post #400

December 2011
    391 Posts
    Do you guys have any modular systems? I'm thinking of saving up and buying some DIY kits for some modules... It's going to be extremely painful buying each one, one by one