1. Post #2321
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    6,421 Posts
    i mean visually it dosent
    it fits the older tone of hl2 where the emphasis on the combine were that theyre even more a bunch of alien communists

but styles have changed and valve went with a much more futuristic horror sci-fi approach to the combine

as a matter of fact, doesnt the combine guard serve as the successor of the cremators in development, since it seems to be doing almost the same thing in terms of scaring riots away
    The would work fine with some slight restyling to make them look more like the Combine Stalkers

Also the cremators weren't there to dissuade riots, they were basically just janitors with flamethrowers that incinerated dead bodies.

They might actually look quite similar to the stalkers under their cloaks, because it seems the heads were intended to be robotic, attached to the cremators by child workers in the Combine factories. (Before they took out children completely, and added the suppression field.)

Edited:

And why is its midsection exposed? I'm not entirely sure of what the Combine's idea of "improvement" is, but the stalkers are already pushing it.
    As mentioned it's not a combat unit, also the thing in its stomach appears to connect directly to the immolator in some of the concept art, so it seems that the combine built storage tanks for the corrosive fuel into the stomachs of the cremators.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

2. Post #2322
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    3,115 Posts
    My theory is that the gman will "shield" you, however this will need him to concentrate and thus be unable to use any of his other fantastic powers.
    Seems more likely that the Vortigaunts will do the shielding. GMan kinda has a bone to pick with you, it would seem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

3. Post #2323
    June 2010
    6,199 Posts
    I think many aliens were cut because the city is supposed to look uncanny - many little things are off, but it's not quite a completely different world either (same horror effect zombies once had). That gives them space to make the games more alien over time and introduce new enemies like the Hunters.

I have found a theroy on G-Man that I agree with. Thoughts?
    If G-Man wants to bring Combine to earth, why did he support Gordon's quest of closing the superportal that effectively cuts reinforcements? He could've extorted Gordon with Alyx' life in immediate danger and him being in charge while the vorts were preoccupied. Instead he wanted him and Alyx to get to White Forest to convey that message to Eli.

If we assume G-Man can't look into the future and foresee Eli's death (if he could, he would've foreseen the Vorts cutting his power in the beginning of Ep1, right?), he probably hired somebody to kill Eli. Why? Well if we stick to the "Gordon = mercenary hero" theory that can be hired by anyone, and we assume the initial deal ended with the death of Dr. Breen (since at the end of HL2 G-Man was about to take Gordon back), then Gordon worked for free during the two Episodes. G-Man couldn't even interfere because of the Vorts, which are part of the resistance. So from his perspective, the resistance violated the contract. They stole his merc. Time to make somebody pay for that.

I remember that in an interview Valve said we will be able to fight the advisors in episode 3. How do you think that will happen? After playing episode 2, I don't see how it's possible to survive a fight like that, since the advisors can just take weapons out of your hand or just rip your whole arm off.
    Well either you fight monsters with monsters, porting aliens to your side (duh Borealis, Aperture *did* have stable connections the multiverses as was recently revealed :P), or you discover some weakness in their technology (like a telepathic connection you can hack into and screw up), or you discover technology to fight the Combine (surely some race out there lasted for longer than 7 hours?), or, more down-to-earth, you draw them to one place and drop a big bomb while they focus on other things. Dog managed to get the jump on them, so you've got a chance as long as they don't notice you. Then G-Man may or may not come in again at the last second and extract you like he planned on doing in HL2. Bonus points for actually referring to the scene and telling him it was only a matter of... well. I'm really not... at liberty to say.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

4. Post #2324
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,724 Posts
    Thoughts on enemies..

hydra should either have little health on each tentacle.. or flinches massively and you need to keep it at bay with bullets as you pass it.

a new type of barnacle would be cool.

an updated zombie would be cool. It would be good to see them transform people/soldiers

Combine soldiers should get an updated model. Perhaps when they die their eyes might flicker and when their helmet around the eye get damaged they turn off
    Elite combine should be smarter and move around the battlefield in a more lifelike way

Rats both human and alien.

more xen stuff from hl1/ cut hl1 .

it would be awesome to have a garg ally. Tentacle,alien controller and grunt would be good too

Snarks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

5. Post #2325
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,474 Posts
    Sadly though, the Alien Controllers likely all died out after the death of the Nihilanth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

6. Post #2326
    July 2007
    69 Posts
    The return of snarks would be amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #2327
    The best headhumper of the galaxy.
    January 2012
    2,648 Posts
    I want the Gluon Gun back in EP3/HL3, that gun kicked ass in HL1.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #2328
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,427 Posts
    I want gore. Gore was awesome in HL1 and L4D2 just showed that it's feasible.

Edited:

And I think it fits half-life, although maybe not the excessive gore of l4d2

Edited:

Imagine buckshotting a combine soldier in the head and his helmet just shatters along with parts of his skull
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 18Artistic Artistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #2329

July 2011
    185 Posts
    And I think it fits half-life, although maybe not the excessive gore of l4d2
    sure does, imo. Hopefully they will include a gibbing system similar to that of bms's.

Favorite one is on the controller
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 10Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #2330
    November 2008
    1,116 Posts
    There already is a reference to the Cremator, there's a head of one in Eli's lab that Alyx found.
    That kind of makes me think though, does that mean Cremators still exist somewhere in the HL2 universe? Like, maybe they still exist, but we just haven't seen them yet. If not, how did Alyx manage to find the head of one? Then again, it's probably just an easter egg, so I guess it doesn't matter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

11. Post #2331
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,724 Posts
    Black mesa source.. oh dear..

Truly- It can't take THAT long to polish the game can it? surely they have done every level and every monster and every weapon by now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

12. Post #2332
    September 2009
    1,957 Posts
    sure does, imo. Hopefully they will include a gibbing system similar to that of bms's.

I prefer L4D2's partial gibbing, looks neater in my opinion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events Agree Agree x 20 (list)

13. Post #2333

July 2011
    185 Posts
    I prefer L4D2's partial gibbing, looks neater in my opinion.
    I would too, but l4d2's gore system is gruesomely detailed. seems a little too gritty for half life, to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 8 (list)

14. Post #2334
    September 2009
    1,957 Posts
    I would too, but l4d2's gore system is gruesomely detailed. seems a little too gritty for half life, to me.
    Yeah, the gore system just has too much blood in it to fit with the Half-Life style. But the way the NPCs are gibbing in BM feels a bit too much like TF2, seeing how they get totally disassembled instead of just losing an arm/a leg/the torso.
    This is OK in a cartoony setting like TF2 but doesn't really feel right in HL.
    I think the gibbing system should be partial like in L4D2, but not as gruesome. A good example is how zombies in HL2 lose their legs when exploding or receiving a circular saw in the guts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

15. Post #2335
    June 2010
    6,199 Posts

A lot of them just look like they're falling apart into cut pieces. I'm sure Valve could do better, tho whether it's worth the effort would be another matter entirely.

I'm all for cathartic hit feedback tho, in HL2 for example swinging the crowbar feels very unsatisfying while it's very fun to throw a grenade into a room and watch the pieces of the poison zombie fly out of the door. L4D2 level of gore would probably be distracting tho.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

16. Post #2336
    June 2010
    5,581 Posts
    WHy do Gordon and G-Man look so similar face structure wise?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 13Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #2337
    Positive energy is space expanding, negative energy is space contracting. Or reverse?
    July 2005
    6,405 Posts
    Oh god, not this again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 22 (list)

18. Post #2338
    July 2010
    6,696 Posts
    g__man
    freeman

???
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15Zing Zing x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #2339
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,427 Posts
    2005 is that you?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 20 (list)

20. Post #2340
    July 2010
    6,696 Posts
    2005 is that you?
    Gman
    Gordon

!!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 17Funny Funny x 2Zing Zing x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #2341
    June 2010
    5,581 Posts
    So...?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

22. Post #2342
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    18,959 Posts
    Gordon-man!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 13 (list)

23. Post #2343
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,140 Posts
    Maybe they just got lazy and copypasted either face in when they were making the new one??
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #2344
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    1,151 Posts
    So I was flicking through TV and found an episode of The One Show (basically a magazine-talk show thing). And I shit you not, I saw Alyx and Barney on some woman's computer. Could have been a Valve employee. I'll grab some pics of it in a minute.

Edited:
    Here we go (sorry for the quality);

Apparently they were talking about the Uncanny Valley effect. Doubt they were actually from Valve though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #2345
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts
    I think a realistic damage system would be unbelievably out of place in the half life series, given that every other game in the series has had a HP based one.
    I'm all for being able to blow things into meaty chunks again though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #2346
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,724 Posts
    id Love a MORE realistic crowbar. Not perfectly realistic, but better than a definite amount of damage. the crowbar needs some "umph" to it. L4d2's crowbar is a step in the right direction.. but using the weapon as a hand held physics object would be much better.

(lexic has misread everything but i will respond anyway) he means Visual damage rather than health damage
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #2347
    November 2008
    688 Posts
    I loved the HL1 crowbar, it went like 3+ swings per second and looked so big
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

28. Post #2348
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts
    (lexic has misread everything but i will respond anyway) he means Visual damage rather than health damage
    What? You're saying you want people to wander around completely unimpaired with huge gaping wounds?
    That would look like shit. Part of what makes L4D2's gore system so awesome is that the zombies react to having bits of them lopped off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

29. Post #2349
    id Love a MORE realistic crowbar. Not perfectly realistic, but better than a definite amount of damage. the crowbar needs some "umph" to it. L4d2's crowbar is a step in the right direction.. but using the weapon as a hand held physics object would be much better.

Gordon has had years of practice, I think more damage would be pretty easy to explain.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #2350
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,896 Posts
    So I was flicking through TV and found an episode of The One Show (basically a magazine-talk show thing). And I shit you not, I saw Alyx and Barney on some woman's computer. Could have been a Valve employee. I'll grab some pics of it in a minute.

Edited:
    Here we go (sorry for the quality);

Apparently they were talking about the Uncanny Valley effect. Doubt they were actually from Valve though.
    Half Life 2 was a perfect example because
    1. The facial animation is great
    2. The facial animation tools are freely available
    3. Overall good models I guess

I think that's why they used half life 2 faces as examples
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

31. Post #2351
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,427 Posts
    What? You're saying you want people to wander around completely unimpaired with huge gaping wounds?
    Obviously not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

32. Post #2352
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    10,952 Posts
    Considering that in 2004, Half Life 2 allowed you to walk around and characters would follow you during conversation, and most modern games have stepped backward from this. I can see why it was used as an example.

That and the facial animations are still better than most other modern games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 11Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #2353
    June 2010
    6,199 Posts
    Oh yeah there are fucktons of games where the characters won't follow your character with their head at all. That and bad mocap are probably my two biggest complaints about graphics nowadays.

What's bothering me much more is how many games flat out disable jumping so they can make the levels more linear more easily. It just feels so incredibly stupid and you feel so glued to the earth it's almost depressing.
    But I think it's mostly laziness or budget at fault. Most people know ingame models that aren't as realistic as their mocap lead to uncanny effects, but they use mocap in the first place to bypass expensive and laborious manual animation in the first place. Smaller linear levels with invisible walls and slightly-higher-than-chest-high-walls blocking off areas allow you to control the player better, and the less free the player, the less he can fuck up, which means less betatesting and bugfixing for you. Similar with regenerating health, many people know it sucks the intensity out of firefights as you just need to find cover quickly and voilá it's like you never made a mistake. But placement of medkits or equivalents takes up a whole lot of time and testing, too.

So I guess Valve's able to stay on top of those things because they have the budget to not having to cut corners. On the downside, it takes ages until they have made the game they want.
    I wish they'd include more multi-pathing to their puzzles tho. The combat is very much multi-path because of the arena design and your wide variety of weapons, but the puzzles are much more linear. Even if two paths lead to the same checkpoint I'd love it if they would include it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #2354
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts
    Obviously not.
    he means Visual damage rather than health damage
    Well what is he talking about then? Scuff marks?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

35. Post #2355
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,474 Posts

I know, I know, memes, but I couldn't pass this one up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 48Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

36. Post #2356
    April 2012
    146 Posts
    I want to see this thread go dark till e3. Then everyone flips a shit when it does/nt get announced
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

37. Post #2357
    April 2011
    970 Posts

I know, I know, memes, but I couldn't pass this one up.
    I've never seen this meme before. What's the original.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Useful Useful x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

38. Post #2358
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,474 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 3Funny Funny x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #2359
    April 2012
    566 Posts
    Gordon-man!
    Even better Garden-man.

Anyway see you until 2014 cause i don't see a half-life with a 3 in it so far.

On another note i remember when I tried missing information damn so much cut content and there's a lot more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #2360
    1.21 GIGAWATTS!
    May 2010
    6,550 Posts
    Even better Garden-man.
    Doctor Freeman...
    I need, your help
    Tending to... the flowers
    Do you have your watering, can?
    Wake up and... smell the roses.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 18Zing Zing x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)