1. Post #8561
    Something that not even HL3 will be able to bring back is the relaxing, amazing atmosphere of City 17. I know it sounds weird, being a totalitarian policestate and all, but walking around and observing the common lives of the citizens, the Civil Protection doing their thing, it just gave me this feeling.

Anyone who can relate to this?
    I love BioShock, stalker, metro, and fallout for these same reasons.

The feeling of complete isolation in a wasteland and you get to discover the present survivors and potentially what happened in the past that would have been the ultimate cause of the apocalypse
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

2. Post #8562
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,548 Posts
    I would buy action figures of all the main people and creatures.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #8563
    September 2009
    1,053 Posts
    Im suprised someone hasnt done a mod in which you explore city 17 and are treated like any other citizen without being shot at, Id like to see a mod like that.
    HL2RP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 7Zing Zing x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

4. Post #8564
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    3,744 Posts
    They're from an old hard drive with images I downloaded back in 1998-2000 during the good ole days of Geocities and Tripod hosted sites and the like. I didn't save website information, though, so I don't know if you could easily find this stuff again through archives.
    A reverse image search led me here: http://www.karcreat.com/ComicArt.html
    Seems about right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #8565
    The Cold Wind Of France
    November 2008
    18,228 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 France Show Events Late Late x 7Winner Winner x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #8566
    September 2009
    1,053 Posts
    Let's discuss the 'Psyche' video. Here's the vid and a link to all the images (together with one which isn't included on the wiki):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZBwwo5olk0&hd=1
    http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Psyche_images
    http://static.glitchvid.com/images/f.../h3/calabi.png

Some of the pictures are just Gman portrayed as a Ghost, while others are other figures portrayed as 'ghosts', whom I don't recognize. The math equations all include a 1/2 (half, as in half-life physics perhaps? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-life), and the horse (which is a statue in C17) appears to be important somehow.

I'm sure there's been theories about this in the past (and yes, I've read the Spanish one a few pages back although I feel as if it requires rediscussion), so let's hear it from you guys. I've never heard of this video before so I'd like to hear some experienced authorities.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Late Late x 3 (list)

7. Post #8567
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    3,744 Posts
    Let's discuss the 'Psyche' video. Here's the vid and a link to all the images (together with one which isn't included on the wiki):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZBwwo5olk0&hd=1
    http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Psyche_images
    http://static.glitchvid.com/images/f.../h3/calabi.png

Some of the pictures are just Gman portrayed as a Ghost, while others are other figures portrayed as 'ghosts', whom I don't recognize. The math equations all include a 1/2 (half, as in half-life physics perhaps? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-life), and the horse (which is a statue in C17) appears to be important somehow.

I'm sure there's been theories about this in the past (and yes, I've read the Spanish one a few pages back although I feel as if it requires rediscussion), so let's hear it from you guys. I've never heard of this video before so I'd like to hear some experienced authorities.
    Well I don't think that a video from 2003 matters too much anymore. Valve didn't even know what an ARG was at that point, and whatever it could mean is definitely already known.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

8. Post #8568
    January 2012
    1,476 Posts
    Because an annoying chat box and citizen lineups 24/7 was exactly what I was talking about, no I mean a mod that would have good scripted sequences and actually be intresting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

9. Post #8569
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    1,770 Posts
    So heres what I'm getting at: You want Half Life 2 RP, but even more scripted and controlling? You're not really making any sense.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #8570
    January 2012
    1,476 Posts
    Hl2rp would be fine for what I want except it just doesnt have the great athmosphere that Hl2 itself did.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

11. Post #8571

January 2012
    36 Posts
    You think that's good, check out some of the beta C17 maps. Industrial is a good one too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

12. Post #8572
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2007
    4,333 Posts
    I love BioShock, stalker, metro, and fallout for these same reasons.

The feeling of complete isolation in a wasteland and you get to discover the present survivors and potentially what happened in the past that would have been the ultimate cause of the apocalypse
    STALKER isn't post-apocalyptic, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

13. Post #8573
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    3,744 Posts
    Chernobyl could be considered a contained apocalypse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 12Agree Agree x 3 (list)

14. Post #8574
    I love bestiality!
    May 2009
    4,823 Posts
    Chernobyl could be considered a contained apocalypse.
    thats pretty deep, man
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 13Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #8575
    I never said it was

radiation, murderers, bandits, thieves, broken down everything. Its close enough to be categorized with near post apocalyptic themes

and hl2 isn't true post-apocalyptic, too, that's unless you count combine take over as that, even though they don't actually destroy the world THAT badly (imagine russia completely taking a country over, now it's just another world with earth being dominated ). Bioshock is the least post-apocalyptic one, it's completely a localized disaster in a city, under the ocean.

Edited:

hl2rp

the only place where it's realistic to be able for a citizen to easily outrun a combine and dodge bullets

nevermind posting orders or non-one word posting either lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #8576
    March 2010
    1,008 Posts
    So Eli and Breen are talking before Gordon gets to the office.
    anyone know what they were talking about?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events

17. Post #8577
    July 2009
    5,881 Posts
    So Eli and Breen are talking before Gordon gets to the office.
    anyone know what they were talking about?
    From what I could hear Breen saying, I'm assuming he was telling Eli about the Combine homeworld, or perhaps different planets, or some part of Xen we maybe haven't seen yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

18. Post #8578
    March 2010
    1,008 Posts
    Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #8579
    I regularly throw pity parties.
    August 2010
    12,153 Posts
    I keep wondering what the world outside of Chernobyl is like in STALKER.

20. Post #8580
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    1,770 Posts
    It's getting worst due to the Zone spreading several kilometers each Emission.

21. Post #8581
    So I'm already have another issue with my Half-Life 2 client.

I've verified and reinstalled, still looks like this. :| It's not even a big deal it just bugs the hell out of me.
    (Assuming you use windows...)
    Find your fonts folder (Should be like: C:\Windows\Fonts)
    Remove "halflife2" and "boxrocket" Then open the HL2 content / Source bins folder and find those files (the boxrocket and other font) then copy them into your fonts folder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

22. Post #8582
    November 2010
    1,356 Posts
    So I'm already have another issue with my Half-Life 2 client.

I've verified and reinstalled, still looks like this. :| It's not even a big deal it just bugs the hell out of me.
    Sometimes verifing the cache of the Source SDK Base 2006/07 works too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events

23. Post #8583
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    1,207 Posts
    Cheesy fanart
    Man it's so weird and cool to see digital drawings from the late 90's and early 2000.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

24. Post #8584
    September 2009
    1,053 Posts
    Well I don't think that a video from 2003 matters too much anymore. Valve didn't even know what an ARG was at that point, and whatever it could mean is definitely already known.

How so? The bit of text about Gordon's alleged catatonic state is pretty shocking in my opinion, and whatever it really means could have severe effects on the series as a whole.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

25. Post #8585
    Hello everyone! I would like you to know that I am not a fan of nudity!!!
    May 2009
    6,450 Posts
    The HL2 menu was really relaxing. No music, no overdone neat-graphical buttons, just you, the game, and the 'blrrmp' noise.
    I always really appreciated the minimalist style of HL2. Distinct lack of flashiness.

Edited:

Something that not even HL3 will be able to bring back is the relaxing, amazing atmosphere of City 17. I know it sounds weird, being a totalitarian policestate and all, but walking around and observing the common lives of the citizens, the Civil Protection doing their thing, it just gave me this feeling.

Anyone who can relate to this?
    I personally found the canals, and the makeshift structures within them, most relaxing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #8586
    Uhmm... There is supposed to be a 'base source engine 2.gcf' file in steamapps/ and it's not related to Source 2, right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

27. Post #8587
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    3,744 Posts
    Guys
    Gordon wears glasses
    BUT THEY NEVER GET DIRTY
    WHAT DOES THIS MEEEEAAAAAAN

28. Post #8588
    February 2008
    330 Posts
    Guys
    Gordon wears glasses
    BUT THEY NEVER GET DIRTY
    WHAT DOES THIS MEEEEAAAAAAN
    It means he cleans them right before every photoshoot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

29. Post #8589
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,595 Posts
    Maybe they're the hipster ones that don't have lenses.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 11Useful Useful x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #8590
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    3,744 Posts
    It means he cleans them right before every photoshoot
    But then WHY ISN'T HIS VISION DIRTY IN THE GAME?!?!?

SPOOOOKY
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

31. Post #8591
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    1,619 Posts
    the lens broke out but he continues to wear the frames
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

32. Post #8592
    Gold Member

June 2009
    8,467 Posts
    My HL2 is fixed finally, thanks everyone who helped.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Informative Informative x 2 (list)

33. Post #8593
    January 2012
    216 Posts
    His glasses have a coating that prevents dirt and water from sticking onto the lenses.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

34. Post #8594
    July 2010
    696 Posts
    The glasses are actually Aperture Science Hazardous Environment Eye Protection Module, they are bulletproof, stainless, the frame and lens were designed to be unbreakable and they have special filter system installed that takes oxygen, turns it into water, and distributes water to the tainted section.Gordon got them back from the day when he worked there as a plumber, he kept those as a souvenier and painted them so no one at Black Mesa would be suspicious.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Ukraine Show Events Winner Winner x 18Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #8595
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    1,681 Posts
    The glasses are actually Aperture Science Hazardous Environment Eye Protection Module, they are bulletproof, stainless, the frame and lens were designed to be unbreakable and they have special filter system installed that takes oxygen, turns it into water, and distributes water to the tainted section.Gordon got them back from the day when he worked there as a plumber, he kept those as a souvenier and painted them so no one at Black Mesa would be suspicious.
    That's way too efficient for Aperture.

Then again, they made the longfall boots, so eh.

36. Post #8596
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    7,012 Posts
    old gems

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 30Artistic Artistic x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #8597
    Rad Cult Member
    December 2007
    4,749 Posts
    Hey, they're cool. Is there any more of those?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #8598
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 11Artistic Artistic x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #8599
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 France Show Events

40. Post #8600
    motion lines all over the fucking place

also "eerp eeerp" is funnier than it should be
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)